HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

2011 Summer Prospect Poll #9

View Poll Results: Summer 2011 Prospect Poll: #9
Alex Biega (D) 1 1.64%
T.J. Brennan (D) 36 59.02%
Daniel Catenacci (C) 15 24.59%
Nick Crawford (D) 0 0%
Jerome Gauthier-Leduc (D) 3 4.92%
Matt MacKenzie (D) 0 0%
Brad Navin (C) 1 1.64%
Dennis Persson (D) 0 0%
Kevin Sundher (C) 2 3.28%
Corey Tropp (RW) 3 4.92%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-19-2011, 10:46 AM
Tim Murray
HoF Turd Shiner

vCash: 500
Same as last time for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregor View Post
I take Catenacci here.

I really like this kid and can see him being a damn near perfect fit for this organization. Speed, great puck possession, "big heart", and most importantly I think he'll have every opportunity to prove he can do it here.

I think I'll have him placed earlier than most but I see this kid shooting up our charts in the coming years.

Add Jacobs.

Tim Murray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 10:59 AM
SuperNintendoChalmrs

Brennan, add Jacobs.

SuperNintendoChalmrs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 11:04 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

TJB add Knapp

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 11:06 AM
Ruckus007
Said too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kassian View Post
Wait, shouldn't Marc-Andre Gragnani be be on this list?
HF prospect criteria, he turned 24.

Ruckus007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 11:08 AM
Dabs21Nike

Wow Brennan running away with this one. After this is where it gets interesting for me. A lot of guys with similar upside IMO.

Dabs21Nike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 11:20 AM
Pengo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruckus007 View Post
HF prospect criteria, he turned 24.
I thought you also have to play 65 games? All I know is that HF still lists him as a prospect.

Pengo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 11:26 AM
ct2111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabs21Nike View Post
Wow Brennan running away with this one. After this is where it gets interesting for me. A lot of guys with similar upside IMO.
I think JGL has far and away the most upside out of these. He's a bit too much under the radar for my liking, imo he even has a realistic shot making the WJC team.

ct2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 11:48 AM
JPurp26

vCash: 300
Catenacci add Syd

JPurp26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 11:51 AM
Dabs21Nike

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgn View Post
I think JGL has far and away the most upside out of these. He's a bit too much under the radar for my liking, imo he even has a realistic shot making the WJC team.
He's likely my next vote after Brennan. I was talking more about the forwards with Tropp, Catenacci, and Sundher. I really like the way JGL has grown the last couple years.

Old
07-19-2011, 12:00 PM
Duddy
Everyday is

close one, but I take Catenacci, add Isackson

Duddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 12:33 PM
ZemgusWho
Play for 2013+

Quote:
Wut? "Way" higher ceiling? Both Brennan and JGL have top 4 d-men upside and I'd argue JGL could become a #2 d-man, if everything goes right.
as I see it Cat is the only guy left that I think has 2nd line potential and a fairly good chance of getting it.

My feelings on Brennan are that while once I thought he had top pairing talent, I feel as if he didn't greatly progress in his next two years in the Q, and hasn't exactly blown the competition out of the water in Portland. I think he has a shot at being a 4/5 sort of guy at the top of his game, and he's going to really light it up if he's going to move up the depth chart this season. I argue that once Pysyk is down in Rochester, he's a better top end prospect and the guy who's going to get called up. We knew he was going to need some time, but most of his peers, some who I thought were much more lightly regarded have played serious time in the NHL. I think his star is dimming.

JGD is interesting because while I don't disagree with you that he has potential, I don't know how certain I am that he's going to be there. I feel fairly certain Cat will make the roster one day, certain that Brennan will put in some time, maybe even this season, but much less sure that JGD does. I think there's a lot of hope with him, and though he's developing, I don't know if I see it as a given yet.

and anyway, I always struggle with this in how do I decide to rate people. For Cat to be a top 2 center, he has to be the second best center on the team, for Brennan to be a 2nd line d-man, he could only be the 4th best d-man.

But that being said, I think Catenacci's speed and skill at center looks more certain than Brennan's does on defense right now. we'll see though. That's the logic behind my vote.

ZemgusWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 12:36 PM
ct2111

Quote:
He's likely my next vote after Brennan. I was talking more about the forwards with Tropp, Catenacci, and Sundher. I really like the way JGL has grown the last couple years.
Agreed.

As for JGL, this is how I see it: The Sabres took him in the 3rd round, despite him being a d-man and despite the fact they already took Pysyk earlier on (meaning they probably had him pretty high). He had a great season, played a big role for his team and after a slow start still ended up nearly a point per game and 2nd in points amongst QMJHL d-men. Kris Baker mentions on his website that he has a Kris Letang type of ceiling and HF ranked him the 4th best drafted QMJHL d-man after Gormley, Despres and Deslauriers who are all top prospects. Despite being a offensive d-man who gets a lot of points on the PP (7G 16A 23P, meaning 41% of his points were on the PP) he finished -1 on a below .500 team. He has the size, the shot, the skill, the vision, the skating and isn't bad in his own zone. His biggest knock was his "rawness" and imo he has lessened his bust potential by a lot.

Old
07-19-2011, 12:42 PM
ct2111

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronin View Post
as I see it Cat is the only guy left that I think has 2nd line potential and a fairly good chance of getting it.

My feelings on Brennan are that while once I thought he had top pairing talent, I feel as if he didn't greatly progress in his next two years in the Q, and hasn't exactly blown the competition out of the water in Portland. I think he has a shot at being a 4/5 sort of guy at the top of his game, and he's going to really light it up if he's going to move up the depth chart this season. I argue that once Pysyk is down in Rochester, he's a better top end prospect and the guy who's going to get called up. We knew he was going to need some time, but most of his peers, some who I thought were much more lightly regarded have played serious time in the NHL. I think his star is dimming.

JGD is interesting because while I don't disagree with you that he has potential, I don't know how certain I am that he's going to be there. I feel fairly certain Cat will make the roster one day, certain that Brennan will put in some time, maybe even this season, but much less sure that JGD does. I think there's a lot of hope with him, and though he's developing, I don't know if I see it as a given yet.

and anyway, I always struggle with this in how do I decide to rate people. For Cat to be a top 2 center, he has to be the second best center on the team, for Brennan to be a 2nd line d-man, he could only be the 4th best d-man.

But that being said, I think Catenacci's speed and skill at center looks more certain than Brennan's does on defense right now. we'll see though. That's the logic behind my vote.
Hey, I don't want to convert your vote. You're free to vote whoever you like, of course.

If you like Catenacci of all those reasons you listed, that's understandable, however I don't think Catenacci has a higher ceiling than JGL and Brennan and I severely doubt that he has a "way" higher ceiling than those two which your first posting stated.

As for the bolded part, I disagree with that, there are usually 6 d-men and 4 centers, meaning imo roughly speaking a #3 d-man is approximately the equal of an average #2 center. I think Catenacci has slightly higher upside than Sundher and I see his ceiling more a great 3rd line energy center who can fill in on the first two lines.

Edit: My knock was solely on the "way higher ceiling" part. I think Catenacci is a great pick for the 3rd round and I think his future is bright. I just hope he can prove me wrong as to what his upside is.

Last edited by ct2111: 07-19-2011 at 01:08 PM.
Old
07-19-2011, 12:44 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
If he makes it, he'll likely blow past people and up the list.

07-19-2011, 12:51 PM
ct2111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
If he makes it, he'll likely blow past people and up the list.
An invite to selection camp would be sufficient in terms of moving up.

Old
07-19-2011, 12:54 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
An invite to selection camp would be sufficient in terms of moving up.
It should have him on the radar, but playing in the Q likely has him off-stage for many since A) the ******** at Telus charge so damn much for games that used to be free and B) we don't have the Q-regional based fans to keep talk of him alive. He's better offensively than Schiestel at the same age, IMHO, no knock on Drew, and is in the ballpark defensively.

That said, I voted Brennan here, add the guy taking a Knapp.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 01:25 PM
ct2111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
It should have him on the radar, but playing in the Q likely has him off-stage for many since A) the ******** at Telus charge so damn much for games that used to be free and B) we don't have the Q-regional based fans to keep talk of him alive. He's better offensively than Schiestel at the same age, IMHO, no knock on Drew, and is in the ballpark defensively.

That said, I voted Brennan here, add the guy taking a Knapp.
Very good point.

Edit: To emphasize how good his +/- was:
http://hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagu...010282011.html
Can't put too much weight on it, but it's an encouraging sign that his defensive play is decent enough.

Last edited by ct2111: 07-19-2011 at 01:30 PM.
Old
07-19-2011, 02:21 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Just out of curiosity why is Tropp being overlooked here? 40 points in his first pro season is nothing to sneeze at, nor is 7 points in 12 playoff games. Is it his relatively low goal total?

New Sabres Captain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 02:50 PM
OpethianSabre20

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSwords View Post
Just out of curiosity why is Tropp being overlooked here? 40 points in his first pro season is nothing to sneeze at, nor is 7 points in 12 playoff games. Is it his relatively low goal total?
I'm certainly not overlooking him. He's next on my list, followed by Sundher, Biega, and Cattenacci.

OpethianSabre20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 02:52 PM
Dabs21Nike

Quote:
I have him in the next group of forwards with Catenacci and Sundher. He's definitely proven the most to me of the three so far.

Old
07-19-2011, 02:56 PM
Ruckus007
Said too much

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpethianSabre20 View Post
I'm certainly not overlooking him. He's next on my list, followed by Sundher, Biega, and Cattenacci.
Quote:
I have him in the next group of forwards with Catenacci and Sundher. He's definitely proven the most to me of the three so far.
Yeah, I'm with you guys and I said as much about Tropp above. He might be the prospect I'm most interested in this year. He's been very solid since the suspension at Michigan State now I'm wondering if he'll take that second year pro jump that Byron, Brennan and Schiestel all took last year. I don't know if he's my guy at #10 but is 20 goals, 60 points, unreasonable if he makes said jump?

Ruckus007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 02:59 PM
ct2111

Quote:
I have him after JGL. Simply don't know enough about him, in the few games I saw him play he was pretty physical, but didn't stick out on the offensive side. Excited to see him on call-ups, though.

Old
07-19-2011, 04:04 PM
OcAirlines

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronin View Post
Catenacci way higher ceiling than anyone else left I think. Not sure there's anyone else left that I think will pan out to be a 2nd liner.

add Szyd.
Most people, even his fans, think that Catenaccis ceiling is #3rd C.

OcAirlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 04:13 PM
Fly Boy
Aye Sir!

Brennan, add Knapp.

Fly Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 04:50 PM
QUACK ATTACK