HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Mtl/nsh

Old
07-19-2011, 12:40 PM
mrinsane

vCash: 500
Mtl/nsh

To Montreal: Ryan Suter

VS

To Nashville: Andrei Markov, Maxim Trunev

MTL POV: Suter is a young d-men who can help in the future and he's more physical than Markov. Nashville will need to pay him on a big deal next year as UFA. They need to re-sign Weber for something like 7M$-8M$ already.

NASH POV: Trunev is a young talented Russian player. He's a RW who with a contract should come in Nashville. Markov is an experienced d-man who can help young kid plus can play in PP, PK. When is healthy Markov = Top 5 best d-man in NHL. He got a 3 year contract at 5,5M$ this summer.. and Suter need to re-sign for probably 5-6M$ next year. We all know that Preds have a low budget.

mrinsane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 12:42 PM
Richiebottles
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Send a message via AIM to Richiebottles
I don't think i would do this. We have Subban that can play the Role that Suter would play. Plus Markov can Mentor Emelin in Montreal and as you say when healthy he is one of the top D-Men in the NHL.

Richiebottles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 12:50 PM
Dharvey33

Would you trade Chara for Suter?

No that's how important a healthy Markov is to the habs. Suter will never play at a better level than Markov and Subban is not ready yet for the role of number 1 for the year.

Suter's trade value may be higher than Markov's but Markov is more important to the habs than Suter would be.

Dharvey33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 12:51 PM
jamz

I would do that in a heartbeat. Nashville would never do it though.

jamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 12:58 PM
GuitarAwesome

Habs fans say no!? Are you serious? You guys are delusional.

GuitarAwesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 01:03 PM
Marc Bergevins Suit
Realistic Hab Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarAwesome View Post
Had Markov not had any major injuries in the past 3 years i wouldnt do it...Hes the longest serving Hab, leads by example and is so valuable to the Habs.

Though i think due to his recent injury woes id jump all over this.

Marc Bergevins Suit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 01:06 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Nsh says no. With ease

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 01:09 PM
Richiebottles
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Send a message via AIM to Richiebottles
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarAwesome View Post
The value is actually off because Montreal would have to add. The reason that we say no is that it does not work for either side. Montreal NEEDS a healthy Markov to Mentor Emelin because if he is not there Emelin could bolt for the KHL. He is vital to our D core.

Richiebottles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 01:32 PM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

I'd stick with Markov from the Habs POV. You've got him for 3 years, anyway. Suter just for 1. At their best, Markov is a slightly better overall defenseman, I believe. But since there are no guarantees whether Markov will return to that state given his age and injury history, one would normally take Suter. Until you factor in that Suter will be UFA before Markov.

Soo... all in all, Habs keep Markov. No reason for Nashville to go with an older, more expensive, less-known player either, so it's eminently reasonable for them to keep Suter.

Can we trade Trunev for your worst goalie prospect?

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 01:47 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
I'd stick with Markov from the Habs POV. You've got him for 3 years, anyway. Suter just for 1. At their best, Markov is a slightly better overall defenseman, I believe. But since there are no guarantees whether Markov will return to that state given his age and injury history, one would normally take Suter. Until you factor in that Suter will be UFA before Markov.

Soo... all in all, Habs keep Markov. No reason for Nashville to go with an older, more expensive, less-known player either, so it's eminently reasonable for them to keep Suter.

The Preds' current worst goaltending prospect presently can't even hold a starter's job in the ECHL. You sure you want to make that deal?

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 01:59 PM
trublu16

MTL fans are out of there minds if you would turn down that offer. NAS will not go near it, but MTL should take it and run. You guys do realize that the great Shea Weber would not be so great if his defensive partner is not Ryan Suter. Suter clears alot of room for Weber. Seen it too many time when my Blues are playing the Preds.

This is the guy to play opposite of any good young offensive d-man. If somehow that the Preds would trade in the division, the Blues would be calling every two seconds.

trublu16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 02:13 PM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
The Preds' current worst goaltending prospect presently can't even hold a starter's job in the ECHL. You sure you want to make that deal?
Makes him better than Robert Mayer.

Psycho Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 02:17 PM
ZombPred
ALLeyeDOizWHEN!

No Russians please.

ZombPred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 02:21 PM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Papa Joe View Post
Makes him better than Robert Mayer.
Indeed. And if it's Pickard, at least there was the "once upon a time he was considered a good prospect..." hope, tenuous as it might be at this point.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 02:31 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Fun fact: Nashville hasn't drafted a Russian since 2004 when they drafted Radulov (and someone else in the 8th round)

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 04:07 PM
Bring_Bak_Damphousse
Classless User

Whats Suters current contract status? is he a UFA/RFA at the end of the year? I'd make the deal in a heartbeat if he's signed beyond 2011/2012.

Bring_Bak_Damphousse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 04:19 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring_Bak_Damphousse View Post
Whats Suters current contract status? is he a UFA/RFA at the end of the year? I'd make the deal in a heartbeat if he's signed beyond 2011/2012.
This is the final year of his contract. He will be a UFA at the end of the year.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 04:21 PM
Hanta Yo
Bag it up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring_Bak_Damphousse View Post
1 more year than he's an UFA next offseason.

Hanta Yo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 04:22 PM
Drydenwasthebest

Markov's impact on the Habs is a lot more than numbers bear out. He is an emotional inspiration and a leader on the ice. Markov is the necessary piece to our team competing for the Stanley Cup. He needs to be healthy, period. A healthy Markov is a top 5 defenceman in the league. I like Suter, but there is no way you trade Markov for Suter if you are Montreal and you know anything about the impact he has on this team and city. Especially when you have Markov for 3 years and Suter for 1.

Again, trading is a lot more than simply numbers. People saying Montreal would take a trade around Markov for Suter straight up don't know enough about Montreal's team and the value of Markov to it to actually know what they are talking about. Like Suter a lot, but he is not the leader that Markov is, especially in terms of inspiring and leading his team. He might turn into such a player, but we already have that player in Markov.

No trade from Montreal POV. Heck, we may as well wait until next year to offer him a contract, in any case.

I would offer other assets for Suter, but am not sure what Nashville needs. Would Weber, Kostitsyn and a first be something to work around for Suter, either + or - depending upon overall value?? Is Nashville looking for prospects/picks or players or a combination?? The only players not available would be Markov, Price (not needed, anyway), Subban, and Pacioretty. Look at other players and picks or prospects and let's talk turkey.

Drydenwasthebest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 04:28 PM
canadianmagpie

vCash: 2920
As a Canuck fan who saw the Weber and Suter pairing during the playoffs, I can say that Nashville will hang up as soon as Suter's name is mentioned.

Suter is one of the underrated top defensemen in the game, while Weber usually gets all the attention in Nashville, I put him almost on par with Suter so I think trying to use Markov (who's cap hit will not interested Nashville), is a non-starter.

canadianmagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 05:47 PM
AidanPhalen13*

fair value

AidanPhalen13* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 05:51 PM
Clipitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianmagpie View Post
As a Canuck fan who saw the Weber and Suter pairing during the playoffs, I can say that Nashville will hang up as soon as Suter's name is mentioned.

Suter is one of the underrated top defensemen in the game, while Weber usually gets all the attention in Nashville, I put him almost on par with Suter so I think trying to use Markov (who's cap hit will not interested Nashville), is a non-starter.
And so is Markov.

Clipitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 05:53 PM
Analyzer*

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post

Nah, trade Bournival. Pretty much every prospect we have is like him. At least Trunev has some offensive upside

Analyzer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 05:59 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

No thanks. You want to send a (very good) defenseman who is approaching 33 and hasn't played a full season in two years (I'll count 78 games as a full season ). Why do we trade one of the best young defensemen in the league when the players coming back are an aging defenseman who may or may not have injury issues going forward and an unproven Russian winger who may or may not come here to play?

Markov might put up more points than Suter, but Suter's game isn't offense. He is one of the best shutdown defenseman in the game right now. The only way we trade Suter is if he gives management a reason to think he won't re-sign with us OR if a top line (legitimate top line, not "he'd be on Nashville's top line" or "he plays on our top line") winger is being offered.

By the way, I'm curious why the OP thinks it's a good deal for Nashville to trade Suter for Markov when the reasoning seems to be that Suter will be looking for a $5-$6m contract, and Nashville might not be able to afford it. Markov makes $5.75m. Seems like a pretty dumb move to potentially saved a quarter of a million dollars.

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 06:00 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipitar View Post
And so is Markov.
And Markov is seven years older than Suter with recent injury problems.

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote