HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers sign Helminen

Closed Thread

Old
08-03-2004, 05:04 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

vCash: 500
Awards:
Rangers sign Helminen

http://www.newyorkrangers.com/pressb...es.asp?id=1286

Old
08-03-2004, 05:06 PM
Ocelot

Yes I like this.

Old
08-03-2004, 05:14 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
If Renney is smart, during preseason he should put Helminen and Ortmeyer on the same pk unit. They played together at school and know each other well. With Helminen's speed and Ortmeyer's smarts and grit, I fell they will make a solid PK unit for us down the road.

Old
08-03-2004, 05:20 PM
Balej20*

anyone think Helminen has a shot at making the team in some capacity this year?

Old
08-03-2004, 05:23 PM
Ocelot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20

Maybe. I'd rahter he go hartford for a year.

Old
08-03-2004, 05:24 PM
Fletch

I don't think at this point...

anyone can say if Helminen has a chance until we see him at this level. It will be interesting to see him, but I'm not getting my hopes up for a guy who's any more than a 3/4 liner.

As for Helminen and Ortmeyer on a PK unit...I'm sure if Helminen's ready for the NHL, it will at least be explored. But, I am thinking this kid's going to be playing in Hartford, even if there is an NHL season.

Old
08-03-2004, 05:27 PM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
I think he will have a great shot (if there is a season)..I still expect Sather to pick up a C to play on the 1st line...After that you have Holik and what else? Lundmark hasn't proven anything and shoul not be handed a position and whil I like Betts, the guy is always hurt...The way I see it, eventhough Lundmark and Betts will have the better chance, I expect Helminen and Moore in there and making it a big battle that will hopefully be decided on merit..And if, as alot of people thinkg, Sather doesn't bring in another C, there may not be a way Helminen WON'T make the team...

Helminen and Ortmeyer on the PK is a good idea...

Old
08-03-2004, 05:38 PM
Ocelot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Melnyk
I think he will have a great shot (if there is a season)..I still expect Sather to pick up a C to play on the 1st line...After that you have Holik and what else? Lundmark hasn't proven anything and shoul not be handed a position and whil I like Betts, the guy is always hurt...The way I see it, eventhough Lundmark and Betts will have the better chance, I expect Helminen and Moore in there and making it a big battle that will hopefully be decided on merit..And if, as alot of people thinkg, Sather doesn't bring in another C, there may not be a way Helminen WON'T make the team...

Helminen and Ortmeyer on the PK is a good idea...
We need to give him a shot. I think this will be his year to shine.

Old
08-03-2004, 05:56 PM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2J129
We need to give him a shot. I think this will be his year to shine.
This is definately his year to show us all what he's got. I don't thinks he's truely gotten a fair chance yet. But now he has a chance. He should be getting top 6 ice time everynight.

Old
08-03-2004, 06:02 PM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
This is definately his year to show us all what he's got. I don't thinks he's truely gotten a fair chance yet. But now he has a chance. He should be getting top 6 ice time everynight.
Honestly, why should he be getting it? He had a decent opportunity last year and did squat..And This team should be all about earning and meriting ice time rather then the hand outs and favoritism of years past...That should hold to youngsters as well as vets..There will be plenty of youngsters vieing for spots and I hope to God the ones that play are the ones that earn the ice time in camp and keep on doing it in games....Hopefully, this will be Lundmark when the light finally goes on..

Old
08-03-2004, 06:08 PM
Onion Boy

First the first time in years, it looks like the Rangers will have an open camp where players will actually battle it out for a great deal of roster spots. As of right now, only Holik, Jagr, Poti, Kasparaitis, and Rachunek are guaranteed roster spots. Tyutin, Lundmark, and Balej are also probably locks, but not givens. Other than that it's completely up for grabs. We should see some good competition in camp.

Old
08-03-2004, 06:45 PM
NYFAN

Quote:
NO WAY!!! While I agree he hasn't been used properly, he did nothing to merit top 6 ice time. Ortmeyer made an impression with far less ice time than he had!

Old
08-03-2004, 10:27 PM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYFAN
NO WAY!!! While I agree he hasn't been used properly, he did nothing to merit top 6 ice time. Ortmeyer made an impression with far less ice time than he had!
Sure, Ortmyer gave it his all everynight and became a fan favorite. But the guy does not have the skill and talent to get anymore ice time than 3rd or 4th line time. And as for Lundmark getting top 6 time (basically 2nd line), im pretty sure most of us agree thats where he is projected to play this year (thats of course if he earns it in camp). We do not have many pure offensive talents right now to not have him playing on that 2nd line.

I'm all about earning stuff, and i believe he will earn his time on the 2nd line this year. This is his year to show us what he's got.

Old
08-04-2004, 06:23 AM
dumpsathernow*

Well I don't think another year of college would have hurt Helminen but God knows we sure could use a fast, top notch, PK defensive player. You know, I don't know what Edmonton was thinking giving up this guy for that loser Nedved. I know Nedved did well for them but if you think about it, how did this clown have anything more then 2nd round value? For somebody fans think is so stupid, Sather sure makes incredible trades.

Old
08-04-2004, 07:31 AM
Ranger Blue
Awaiting Moderation

Quote:
But the guy does not have the skill and talent to get anymore ice time than 3rd or 4th line time.
Finally! I was beginning to think I was the only one to think that. He can't skate and he can't handle the puck, and he can't pass the puck. Other than that he's #1 line material.

Old
08-04-2004, 07:54 AM
jol

Will he be doing better than first Helminen 20 years ago?

Old
08-04-2004, 08:22 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackisback
For somebody fans think is so stupid, Sather sure makes incredible trades.

Obviously, your close-minded opinions stand in the way of reason.

Old
08-04-2004, 08:22 AM
True Blue

Quote:
You know, I don't know what Edmonton was thinking giving up this guy for that loser Nedved.
For somebody fans think is so stupid, Sather sure makes incredible trades.
I think that these 2 statements need to be addressed. First of all, it's a little too early to make any kind of comparisons about Helminen. But, make sure you let me know if the kid EVER hits 70 points in a year.
Second of all, have you been following Sather's track record of trades? Please let me know when the good trades are even half the size of the bad ones.

Old
08-04-2004, 08:40 AM
Levitate

ortmeyer should be a good 3rd liner in the future i think...honestly i think he's got a little more offense in him than he showed last year and he's a lot better skater than he was just given credit for

Old
08-04-2004, 09:55 AM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
I think that these 2 statements need to be addressed. First of all, it's a little too early to make any kind of comparisons about Helminen. But, make sure you let me know if the kid EVER hits 70 points in a year.
Second of all, have you been following Sather's track record of trades? Please let me know when the good trades are even half the size of the bad ones.
While I think the last line there is a bit overblown, I agree with the rest.

Old
08-04-2004, 10:03 AM
Seachd

vCash: 50
Quote:
Well I don't think another year of college would have hurt Helminen but God knows we sure could use a fast, top notch, PK defensive player. You know, I don't know what Edmonton was thinking giving up this guy for that loser Nedved. I know Nedved did well for them but if you think about it, how did this clown have anything more then 2nd round value? For somebody fans think is so stupid, Sather sure makes incredible trades.
Yeah, giving up a former 8th round pick and a 4th rounder was massive overkill in regards to getting Nedved. His point a game that got the Oilers to within 2 points of the playoffs wasn't worth near that much.

Even if Nedved doesn't end up resigning with the Oilers, I'd do that trade over and over again, and I like Helminen.

Old
08-04-2004, 10:05 AM
Fletch

Black..

Edmonton was thinking playoffs when they acquired Nedved. Loser or no loser, he fit well into their system and it almost paid off. Further, having Dvorak there may've played a bit into it.

Old
08-04-2004, 10:23 AM
Shadowtron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
Edmonton was thinking playoffs when they acquired Nedved. Loser or no loser, he fit well into their system and it almost paid off. Further, having Dvorak there may've played a bit into it.

Exactly. They were making a playoff drive. I think Edmonton received exactly they wanted. Now all they have to do is re-sign him...

Closed Thread