HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

4th line C

Old
07-19-2011, 10:46 AM
not quite yoda

vCash: 500
4th line C

Does Gauthier intend on signing a veteran 4th line C to win faceoffs and kill penalties (à la Halpern)? If yes, why not just keep Halpern? Is the intention to keep the lesser of Desharnais or Eller in that role? Will Darche be placed there?

not quite yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 10:55 AM
Freaky Habs Fan

We don't really know...

Cammy-Pleks-Cole
Pax-Gomez-Gionta
Kost-Eller-Moen
Darche-Desharnaies-White

So right there, you have four lines. Who can you scratch out of these? White and Darche probably, but they are both pretty good and valuable to the team. In Hamilton, Engqvistcould be the one who is closer of a spot on the bottom two line. Palushaj should stay another year in the AHL since he can work on his offense game there. Blunden could also be a possibility is he has a decent camp.

So as it is right now, we could be good, but I believe we'll go for a depth player at some point. We can't be too young either after all...

Last edited by Freaky Habs Fan: 07-19-2011 at 11:01 AM.
Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 10:57 AM

I tend to think the Habs may have plans for Andreas Engqvist...if that is the case, I'd feel much more comfortable if they were able to sign a depth guy like Ryan Johnson or even Adam Mair to provide competition/cover.

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 11:03 AM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Its a huge hole imo. We have no right handed face-off man, all are face-off guys are left handed, makes it harder to win face-offs on the the right circle. I think P.G. will sign or trade for someone, unless they see Engqvist as ready, but not sure how good he is on face-offs, or maybe have White take face-offs while playing RW, but I think White numbers were not that great.

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 11:09 AM
Habitants

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
I tend to think the Habs may have plans for Andreas Engqvist...if that is the case, I'd feel much more comfortable if they were able to sign a depth guy like Ryan Johnson or even Adam Mair to provide competition/cover.
this

Habitants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 11:24 AM
bcv
My french sucks.

IMO they'll sign Adam Mair. He's the perfect fit ; defensive RH center that is good on faceoffs.

bcv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 11:28 AM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcv View Post
IMO they'll sign Adam Mair. He's the perfect fit ; defensive RH center that is good on faceoffs.
Exactly what I wrote yesterday.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 11:31 AM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

I think they'll wait after camp to either trade for or sign a 4th line C if none of the rookies are impressive enough. They might try White at center as well, see how he does. I think that's the right thing to do. We have a few players that are NHL ready, or at least almost NHL ready, let's give them a chance to prove themselves.

Now... watch PG sign someone in a few hours just to make me look dumb.

Gabe84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 11:35 AM
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr

vCash: 506
I think Engqvist is gonna have a good training camp and make the team as 4th line C, unless we get another trainign camp hero.

Stjonnypopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 11:39 AM
ScopeHockey

I think it'll be White. He really hasn't taken enough faceoffs for us to know whether he's good or not. But he has the potential to be.

ScopeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 11:56 AM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:
I'd like to add that either Mair or Engvist. I think he would be a good fit aswell.

bcv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 12:00 PM
habitue*

Quote:
I'd like to add that either Mair or Engvist. I think he would be a good fit aswell.
Mair can play on wings too. Ideal 13th forward at this stage of his career.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 12:00 PM

Thing is...if they want Mair, they can most likely wait until closer to September. He got invited to the Devils camp last year and made the team as a try-out.

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 12:09 PM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScopeHockey View Post
I think it'll be White. He really hasn't taken enough faceoffs for us to know whether he's good or not. But he has the potential to be.
White is too slow to be a viable option at center

Estimated_Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 12:17 PM
ScopeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
White is too slow to be a viable option at center
Centers are moving all the time and White is pretty good when he's in movement. Plus, as a 4th line center you don't exactly play against the quickest opponents.

ScopeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 12:19 PM
jamz

I want Drury even though his knee is done.

jamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 12:21 PM
BigHabs

I think Engqvist is our best bet.

Size - check
RHS - check
Center - check
Defense - check
Hits - check
PK - check
Youth - check

I think now is a good time to get our young guys in the lineup and getting them ready in 3 years at the NHL as our top line players like Cammalleri, Gionta, Gomez might all be gone.

I think Gautheir is going to be looking for a backup dman. Fill the rest of the roster out with young guys from Hamilton.

Cammalleri Plekanec Cole
Pacioretty Gomez Gionta
Kostitsyn Eller Desharnais
Moen Engqvist White

ex. Darche

Markov Emelin
Subban Gill
Gorges Spacek

ex. Weber/ Mara, Wallin, or Woywitka - solid stay at home dman with size and physical side.

Last edited by BigHabs: 07-19-2011 at 12:39 PM.
BigHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 12:56 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs Hotel View Post
Cammalleri Plekanec Cole
Pacioretty Gomez Gionta
Kostitsyn Eller Desharnais
Moen Engqvist White

ex. Darche
Having watched the games last year, what in heaven's name would prompt anyone to place Engqvist in the NHL ahead of Darche??

If anyone is vulnerable, it might be White, he is the least reliable defensively and the slowest forward on the team, aside from Engqvist himself of course.

White's main plus is that he is one of very few willing to drop the gloves. His hits do not really result in anything much useful such as turnovers or goals. But for some people, it is nice to have one more guy who is willing to fight. It is entertaining at least, even if not much help in terms of protection (the Pacioretty mugging occured in the same game White stepped up on Boychuk to pretend to avenge a dangerous hit on Subban, which was actually not a cheap hit at all, just Subban making a sudden move to avoid contact and jumping at the same time.)

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 01:04 PM
WestIslander

I can Gauthier signing someone by the first week of September.

I would love to sign Brian Sutherby from Dallas, he is UFA and 28 years old, 6'3'' and 205 pounds.

Put Desharnais on the third line and have the following starting line up:

Cammalleri - Plekanec - Cole
Pacioretty - Gomez - Gionta
Kostitsyn - Eller - Desharnais
White - Sutherby - Moen
Darche

Markov - Gorges
Gill - Subban
Spacek - Yemelin
Weber

Price
Budaj

Call up's from Hamilton: Palushaj, Conboy, Mitera and Diaz

WestIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 01:27 PM
Jakomyte

Assuming our top 6 is:

Cammalleri-Plekanec-Cole
Pacioretty-Gomez-Gionta

I still like the idea of keeping Desharnais at center on the 4th line. It keeps that extra offensive edge on the 4th line, and I really liked what I saw in the Moen-Eller-Kostitsyn combination last year, which was great defensively, physical, and produced some nice offense.

Darche-Desharnais-White is a good 4th line. Then we can get a Winchester/Mair to be our 13th forward and we are set.

Jakomyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 01:43 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
Having watched the games last year, what in heaven's name would prompt anyone to place Engqvist in the NHL ahead of Darche??
More "NHL-ready" wingers than centres? In any event, I'd likely put Darche in that lineup instead of Moen anyway.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 01:45 PM
Patty Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by not quite yoda View Post
Does Gauthier intend on signing a veteran 4th line C to win faceoffs and kill penalties (à la Halpern)? If yes, why not just keep Halpern? Is the intention to keep the lesser of Desharnais or Eller in that role? Will Darche be placed there?
I still see them signing a veteran to fill this role.

Certainly Desharnaid, Engqvist and Blunden are candidates, but i think Desharnais is going to get a look on the 3rd line and i'm not really sure that the other 2 are ready for everyday NHL duty.

I think the solution comes from outside of the organization.

Patty Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 02:19 PM
Tim Wallach

To the OP, I liked Halpern a lot for the first two months, but man did he ever slide after that. He got to the point where I thought he was fairly useless. Granted he recovered to play some important shifts in the playoffs, but clearly his age and lack of foot speed were factors.

I can almost guarantee that's why he wasn't re-signed. As for replacements, I agree with those who say they'll address it after camp if no one is reaching up and grabbing it.

Tim Wallach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 02:31 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

No idea what offers the veteran centers on the market are getting. But they aren't legion. No guarantees one is still available in September if Engqvist isn't looking so good, if that's the thinking. I'd say just sign somebody now. It doesn't have to mean that guy can't get beat out by Engqvist. And eventually there will be injuries anyway, so both of them will play at some point in a long season (if Engqvist is really that close). Ryan Johnson at $550k is an insurance policy you can't really go wrong with.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 02:49 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
No idea what offers the veteran centers on the market are getting. But they aren't legion. No guarantees one is still available in September if Engqvist isn't looking so good, if that's the thinking. I'd say just sign somebody now. It doesn't have to mean that guy can't get beat out by Engqvist. And eventually there will be injuries anyway, so both of them will play at some point in a long season (if Engqvist is really that close). Ryan Johnson at $550k is an insurance policy you can't really go wrong with.
If we sign Johnson, Engqvist will be on the team either way as Johnson is guaranteed to get hurt.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote