HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

LeClair and Amonte are probably exit-bound

Closed Thread

Old
08-01-2004, 07:59 PM
Hesky

vCash: 500
LeClair and Amonte are probably exit-bound

John LeClair and Tony Amonte could be subject to a buyout at two-thirds of their salary if they can't be traded. So which teams you think could be interested in getting them?

Old
08-01-2004, 08:02 PM
Vic Rattlehead*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesky
John LeClair and Tony Amonte could be subject to a buyout at two-thirds of their salary if they can't be traded. So which teams you think could be interested in getting them?
Boston would probably be interested in Amonte, but his salary would be too much for Boston to handle.

Old
08-01-2004, 08:11 PM
Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesky
There was talk in a Pittsburgh paper a while back that the Pens might be interested in Leclair if the Flyers got rid of him. I hope it's not true (which it probably isn't).

Old
08-01-2004, 08:45 PM
Malakhov

Send a message via MSN to Malakhov
LeClair back in Montreal? That would be nice.

Zednik - Koivu - Kovalev
Leclair - Ribeiro - Ryder
Bulis - Bonk - Sundstrom
Begin - Dowd - Ward

Oh please let it happen!

Old
08-01-2004, 08:47 PM
neelynugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19bruins19
Boston would probably be interested in Amonte, but his salary would be too much for Boston to handle.
if amonte is bought out, i can see boston being a possibility at a bargain rate.

Old
08-01-2004, 08:47 PM
FlyersProspect2

Send a message via AIM to FlyersProspect2
LeClair has been my favorite player on the flyers (mainly because I have the same last name) and was one of the reasons why I liked the Flyers so much. But I really can't wait for him and Amonte to be bought out or traded. LeClair is a 9 million injury prone and non playoff produces, over aged player, and Amonte can't seem to find his scoring ability. Amonte might have some value and probably should be kept if he will reduce his salery. LeClair on the other hand just isn't good anymore. He probably wouldn't be missed, and this is coming from probably his only fan right now.

Old
08-01-2004, 08:54 PM
IslesJack

Send a message via ICQ to IslesJack Send a message via AIM to IslesJack
Do you guys think that LeClair can still produce?
If so, do you think that 2.5-3 million per year is reasonable for him? Same contract as Recchi got.

Old
08-01-2004, 09:00 PM
Snugglepuss

LeClair could be a good fit in Ottawa. They need a good left winger, a healthy LeClair provides them that (providing they sign him to a cheap contract.)

Old
08-01-2004, 09:33 PM
Jacob

A question to Flyers fans; How did Amonte's speed look earlier in the year? After that weird looking knee injury, all I would notice about him is how slow he was. I didn't pay attention before the injury, but is his speed still there (somewhat)?

Old
08-01-2004, 10:23 PM
Kevin Forbes
Hockey's Future Staff

would Amonte be welcome or willing back in Windy City? Rumors have it that they are looking for people to play with Calder...

Old
08-01-2004, 11:22 PM
paxtang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobv2
A question to Flyers fans; How did Amonte's speed look earlier in the year? After that weird looking knee injury, all I would notice about him is how slow he was. I didn't pay attention before the injury, but is his speed still there (somewhat)?
He still has jump, he just can't finish anymore. The guy hits a retarded amount of posts.

Old
08-02-2004, 01:06 AM
Upon1

I'm more interested in who the flyers would look to sign (if anyone) to replace these guys and Recchi.

Old
08-02-2004, 01:32 AM
Moskau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upon1
I'm more interested in who the flyers would look to sign (if anyone) to replace these guys and Recchi.
Doug Weight

Old
08-02-2004, 01:39 AM
Jacob

Quote:
Originally Posted by forbesy
would Amonte be welcome or willing back in Windy City? Rumors have it that they are looking for people to play with Calder...
I heard Amonte will take a pay cut to play with Calder.

Old
08-02-2004, 02:05 AM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19bruins19
How so? They've cleared Murray's, Knuble's and O'Donnel's salaries, and Amonte isn't going to get four million a year on the open market.

08-02-2004, 09:10 AM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesJack
Do you guys think that LeClair can still produce?
If so, do you think that 2.5-3 million per year is reasonable for him? Same contract as Recchi got.

If LeClair was only making 2.5-3 million Philly wouldn't be looking to get rid of him. What did he put up last season-26 goals? He can still produce, just not at a rate to justify his current contract, one of the worst in recent memory. What was Bobby thinking there? Amonte also produced, but again not enough to justify the coin he is getting.

Last edited by Rabid Ranger: 08-02-2004 at 11:01 AM.
Old
08-02-2004, 09:32 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger
If LeClair was only making 2.5-3 million Philly wouldn't be looking to get rid of him. What did he put last season-26 goals? He can still produce, just not at a rate to justify his current contract, one of the worst in recent memory. What was Bobby thinking there? Amonte also produced, but again not enough to justify the coin he is getting.

Clarke was thinking a few things.

#1. Lindros was leaving, the team had no marquee players ... the Flyers wanted Roenick, and I JR wasn't coming if the Flyers just let Lindros and LeClair walk away.

#2. Part of it was a bit of a repayment. LeClair was very much underpaid while he was putting up 50 goals a year. The Flyers remember things like that, and take care of their own (something that will have to vanish if a cap comes into play).

#3. LeClair had been healthy free throughout his career in Philadelphia before the contract was signed.

Old
08-02-2004, 10:13 AM
04' hockey

Yeah....

that about sums it up.....Clarke can be a real pr#ck sometimes, huh?

Old
08-02-2004, 11:03 AM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
Clarke was thinking a few things.

#1. Lindros was leaving, the team had no marquee players ... the Flyers wanted Roenick, and I JR wasn't coming if the Flyers just let Lindros and LeClair walk away.

#2. Part of it was a bit of a repayment. LeClair was very much underpaid while he was putting up 50 goals a year. The Flyers remember things like that, and take care of their own (something that will have to vanish if a cap comes into play).

#3. LeClair had been healthy free throughout his career in Philadelphia before the contract was signed.

Yeah, I understand the particulars, you would have thought though, with the way "power forwards" tend to break down over time, LeClair would have been tendered a less obscene contract. At least fewer years.

Old
08-02-2004, 11:12 AM
Dr Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upon1
Well they've already signed Knuble and Stevenson. As for replacing Amonte and LeClair, a sack of potatoes and a Buick would be fine by me. They've been so bad in the playoffs that it's addition by subtraction. Two players off the scrap heap making league minimum could have contributed more.

Old
08-02-2004, 12:06 PM
mschinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by forbesy

I wish Amonte would go back to the Hawks but I wonder if there is still bad blood between Wirtz and Tony. That would be pretty sweet to see Amonte on a line playing with Ruutu centering.

Old
08-02-2004, 07:07 PM
Jim

[QUOTE=John Flyers Fan]Clarke was thinking a few things.

QUOTE]

I don't believe this at all. You don't repay a guy for going above and beyond expectation at the rate of what.... 9 million dollars?
Do players repay the GM when they under perform? An extra 500k to say thanks is unusual and would have gotten the point across.

Are you guessing or do you know that Clarke went ahead and overpaid a guy because of his past performance?

Last edited by Jim: 08-02-2004 at 07:11 PM.
Old
08-02-2004, 08:21 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
I don't believe this at all. You don't repay a guy for going above and beyond expectation at the rate of what.... 9 million dollars?
Do players repay the GM when they under perform? An extra 500k to say thanks is unusual and would have gotten the point across.

Are you guessing or do you know that Clarke went ahead and overpaid a guy because of his past performance?

I'll tell you it's a fact.

Not all $9 million is overpayment. But perhaps instead of say $6 million a year, he got $9 million per season. He was in fact the league's most underpaid player

The Flyers routinely took care of players that provided them with long service.

Andre "Moose" Dupont - was traded to Quebec, where he grew up and wanted to play. Days before the trade ge was given a new 3 year deal.

Paul Holmgren - Again nearing the end of his career, traded to his hometown Minnesota North Stars, again given a nice new contract before he was traded.

Tim Kerr, treated very well ... kept on the East Coast because that's where he was looking to stay close to his daughters.

The Flyers will also routinely trade young players (Delmore, Eaton etc.) that have proven they can play in the NHL to another team if the Flyers son't have room at their position. They don't hold onto kids and keep them in the AHL forever.

Read my above post again. There were mulitple reasons that LeClair got the deal he did ... repayment was just one reason.

Old
08-02-2004, 09:19 PM
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
I'll tell you it's a fact.

Not all $9 million is overpayment. But perhaps instead of say $6 million a year, he got $9 million per season. He was in fact the league's most underpaid player

The Flyers routinely took care of players that provided them with long service.

Andre "Moose" Dupont - was traded to Quebec, where he grew up and wanted to play. Days before the trade ge was given a new 3 year deal.

Paul Holmgren - Again nearing the end of his career, traded to his hometown Minnesota North Stars, again given a nice new contract before he was traded.

Tim Kerr, treated very well ... kept on the East Coast because that's where he was looking to stay close to his daughters.

The Flyers will also routinely trade young players (Delmore, Eaton etc.) that have proven they can play in the NHL to another team if the Flyers son't have room at their position. They don't hold onto kids and keep them in the AHL forever.

Read my above post again. There were mulitple reasons that LeClair got the deal he did ... repayment was just one reason.
Right, Flyers Fan, but there is a huge difference between granting players their trade wishes, giving young guys a shot that otherwise would not have one, and giving a guy $3 million extra because they think he did a great job in his past seasons.

Clarke, as a reasonable human being, would have to know that even if he felt so strongly about Leclair's performance and wanted to reward him, he would be taking an unreasonable risk that Leclair's permformance may not continue, he may not be healthy, and it would be impossible to trade him if it was necessary at a later date.

Old
08-02-2004, 09:29 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
Right, Flyers Fan, but there is a huge difference between granting players their trade wishes, giving young guys a shot that otherwise would not have one, and giving a guy $3 million extra because they think he did a great job in his past seasons.

Clarke, as a reasonable human being, would have to know that even if he felt so strongly about Leclair's performance and wanted to reward him, he would be taking an unreasonable risk that Leclair's permformance may not continue, he may not be healthy, and it would be impossible to trade him if it was necessary at a later date.
#1. LeClair had been healthy his entire Flyers career. No reaso to all of a sudden predict that his back is going to go out.

#2. Besides just granting trade wishes they were also given brand new contracts.

#3. The Flyers are well aware of the cost of a buyout, and will likely excercise that option.

Was the signing excessive ??? Yes, but IMO it was more the length than the $$$ figure.

Closed Thread