HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Daugavins goes back to Latvia! (Mod Edit: Old Thread Bumped)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-20-2011, 03:03 AM
  #51
Hossa
Registered User
 
Hossa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Abroad
Posts: 9,262
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fuhr View Post
Daugavins 22Yrs old
73GP 19G 54Pts
Playoffs 23GP 10G 20Pts
He also became a godly PK player

vs the three players who got a shot in the NHL last year

Greening 24Yrs old
59GP 15G 40Pts
Playoffs 23GP 1G 5Pts

Condra
24Yrs old
55GP 17G 47Pts
Playoffs 23GP 5G 17Pts

Butler
23Yrs old
47GP 22G 33Pts
Playoffs 23GP 13G 17Pts

I'm sure in Daugavins head he is thinking he is younger and better then those three yet they got NHL ice time and one way deals...
While I'm surprised Daugavins didn't get a call-up last year, it's not like a call-up is the only reason Condra, Butler and Greening got one-way deals. Roman Wick got a few call-ups, didn't do a whole lot, and is back in Europe as well now. But those three one-ways aren't based on AHL performance, it's because all three guys showed that in limited duty at least, they can play the NHL level. Daugavins hasn't done that. It's a real stretch to imply he's better than any of them, let alone all of them as well.

I like the guy, but if he left for Riga because he felt entitled to a one-way deal (which is what you're implying), then that's on him. After his breakout playoff performance, he was in the picture for at least a call-up or two next year, moreso than Wick. Hopefully Daugavins can opt out of his deal and come back for training camp. If he's as good as you think he is, he'll make it.

It doesn't bother me if prospects after their ELC want to go play in Europe. It's a better lifestyle, better pay and closer to home. Most of us would take that option in any other career path anyways, particularly at 22 years old. So I don't fault him for signing with Riga, just as I didn't Wick or Zubov before him. But it's got nothing to do with not having a one-way deal. Mid-level prospects have to prove they can offer something at the NHL level before they get one of those, and Daugavins hasn't. But if you're 22 and a very good AHL player, you'll get more chances, so it's his choice.

Hossa is offline  
Old
07-20-2011, 03:35 AM
  #52
GoSensGo765
BELIEVE!
 
GoSensGo765's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,647
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hossa View Post
While I'm surprised Daugavins didn't get a call-up last year, it's not like a call-up is the only reason Condra, Butler and Greening got one-way deals. Roman Wick got a few call-ups, didn't do a whole lot, and is back in Europe as well now. But those three one-ways aren't based on AHL performance, it's because all three guys showed that in limited duty at least, they can play the NHL level. Daugavins hasn't done that. It's a real stretch to imply he's better than any of them, let alone all of them as well.

I like the guy, but if he left for Riga because he felt entitled to a one-way deal (which is what you're implying), then that's on him. After his breakout playoff performance, he was in the picture for at least a call-up or two next year, moreso than Wick. Hopefully Daugavins can opt out of his deal and come back for training camp. If he's as good as you think he is, he'll make it.

It doesn't bother me if prospects after their ELC want to go play in Europe. It's a better lifestyle, better pay and closer to home. Most of us would take that option in any other career path anyways, particularly at 22 years old. So I don't fault him for signing with Riga, just as I didn't Wick or Zubov before him. But it's got nothing to do with not having a one-way deal. Mid-level prospects have to prove they can offer something at the NHL level before they get one of those, and Daugavins hasn't. But if you're 22 and a very good AHL player, you'll get more chances, so it's his choice.
Not sure about an opt out clause, but the early reports are that he loved his time in the Ottawa organization and would be open to returning at some point. It could be this season or it could be a year or two down the road, but I don't think we have seen the last of him. He's likely just going back home to Latvia for a change of pace and to figure out where he wants to take his career going forward....he's still young...

GoSensGo765 is offline  
Old
07-20-2011, 05:06 AM
  #53
4thliner*
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 6,135
vCash: 500
At least they won the cup.

I doubt it, there will be some good players that wont make Ottawa. If they gain the likes of Da Costa, Rundblad, and an older Lehner and the surprising Borowiecki for a full year, I doubt the guys that left will matter from skill side of things.

4thliner* is offline  
Old
07-20-2011, 08:09 AM
  #54
v-man
Registered User
 
v-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,952
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski View Post
Totally agree..he fell into Clouston's doghouse few season's ago and sent back to the OHL mid season while in Bingo..
He wasn't sent back, he requested to go back, since playing four minutes a night on the fourth line with Yoblonski wasn't doing anything for him or his career. The guy is not a fourth line player, not in the AHL, not in the NHL. He has too much talent for that and not enough size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spezza19 View Post
Not sure about an opt out clause, but the early reports are that he loved his time in the Ottawa organization and would be open to returning at some point. It could be this season or it could be a year or two down the road, but I don't think we have seen the last of him. He's likely just going back home to Latvia for a change of pace and to figure out where he wants to take his career going forward....he's still young...
Not sure how many times I have to repeat this, but since it's not getting through, he doesn't need an opt out clause, he signed a try out offer simply so he can practice with the team to get ready for the season. He'll be released from it to go to this years training camp in Ottawa and has yet to sign with Dinamo for the season (it explains all this on the team's website). The transfer here is purely for legal purposes since un-signed players cannot train with KHL teams. A mod should really change the thread title so those who are too lazy to read the thread don't misunderstand things.


Last edited by v-man: 07-20-2011 at 08:24 AM.
v-man is offline  
Old
07-20-2011, 09:06 AM
  #55
Hossa
Registered User
 
Hossa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Abroad
Posts: 9,262
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by v-man View Post
Not sure how many times I have to repeat this, but since it's not getting through, he doesn't need an opt out clause, he signed a try out offer simply so he can practice with the team to get ready for the season. He'll be released from it to go to this years training camp in Ottawa and has yet to sign with Dinamo for the season (it explains all this on the team's website). The transfer here is purely for legal purposes since un-signed players cannot train with KHL teams. A mod should really change the thread title so those who are too lazy to read the thread don't misunderstand things.
If that is the case (and I believe you and had read that), he still needs a contract with the Sens in order to come to training camp in Ottawa. So that won't happen unless he accepts his QO or gets a new contract offer. At best he's in limbo right now.

Hossa is offline  
Old
07-20-2011, 09:15 AM
  #56
FunkySeeFunkyDoo
Registered User
 
FunkySeeFunkyDoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,883
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hossa View Post
...
It doesn't bother me if prospects after their ELC want to go play in Europe. It's a better lifestyle, better pay and closer to home. Most of us would take that option in any other career path anyways, particularly at 22 years old. So I don't fault him for signing with Riga, just as I didn't Wick or Zubov before him. But it's got nothing to do with not having a one-way deal. Mid-level prospects have to prove they can offer something at the NHL level before they get one of those, and Daugavins hasn't. But if you're 22 and a very good AHL player, you'll get more chances, so it's his choice.
Really, it must all come down to what the Sens are offering him on his next contract -- but in a big picture sense.

If the Sens are only going after him in a lukewarm kind of way (ie certainly not offering him a one-way deal) then he's got to realize that his longterm NHL prospects just aren't that good. If he can't crack the 2011 Sens forward lineup, then you can't imagine him ever cracking any NHL lineup.

He probably sees the writing on the wall, and based on that the $500k at home is what any reasonable person would do.

FunkySeeFunkyDoo is offline  
Old
07-20-2011, 09:30 AM
  #57
SpezDispenser
Registered User
 
SpezDispenser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 15,915
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The OttoMan View Post
So in his head he's thinking, hmm.. these guys paid their dues for several years, and were rewarded with an extended opportunity in the NHL. Next year is a rebuilding year for the Sens. There are several unproven, waiver eligible players. I am one the best amongst that group. I should go to Latvia.

Logicing, like a boss.
Yeah, I don't understand his reasoning either if he leaves. This is his final chance at the NHL, but it's a legit chance. If there are injuries, or if he comes into camp battling for a spot, there's no reason he can't make it IMO.

SpezDispenser is offline  
Old
07-20-2011, 09:36 AM
  #58
Kickabrat
WHAT - ME WORRY?
 
Kickabrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,957
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by v-man View Post
If by almost setting up a goal on his first NHL shift you mean nothing, then sure. While I'll be the first to admit that Daug used to float quite a bit, a lot of that has to do with him reading the play and being in the right place, which is why he's been successful wherever he's played since coming over (show me another Euro who scored an end to end goal less than 6 seconds into his North American debut). There are only two reasons Condra, Greening and Butler are above him. Clouston and Murray. Daug is every bit as talented as them, Foligno, Winchester, etc. He's simply been given the bum rap since Murray took over, and anyone who disagrees that North American players are given priority is lying to themselves. What other OHL All-Star would not be given a single NHL pre-season game until his fourth training camp, even after severely outplaying the likes of Foligno in his first rookie camp? Anyway, you lost credibility when you said he sucks, so there's no point preaching to intellectual lightweights.

Anyway, can we at least change the thread title to something a bit less misleading? He's simply training with the team to get in shape, he hasn't committed to them and is by no means gone from Ottawa's system yet. Some people posting here have obviously missed that point.
You mean guys like Lehner, Petersson, Silfverberg, Rundblad, Zibanejad, Filatov, Regin, Karlsson, Zubov...... Yep the Murrays sure hate those darn Euros. And of course those lazy ass NA like Benoit, Bass, Kinrade, Keller were given every single opportunity over those Euros to succeed and then left.... ungrateful ******** that they are.

It's not just the Euros who are leaving...it's anybody who has been surpassed on the depth chart by the new guys coming in. Euros or NA or Asian, or whatever...if they're good enough and willing to pay the price to play in the NHL they will play there...either with the Sens or another team. It has NOTHING to do with nationality.

Kickabrat is offline  
Old
07-20-2011, 09:48 AM
  #59
Kickabrat
WHAT - ME WORRY?
 
Kickabrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,957
vCash: 500
Is it just me or is anyone else surprised that such a great player like Daugavins has not been offered an offer sheet? I mean a great player like Daugavins should get at least a 1-way minimum wage contract from some team, no? And with the Sens unlikely to match, he would not require any compensation. A great star player like Daugavins would not sneak buy 29 other GMs who could have him for free, could he? What's wrong with this picture, I wonder??????? (just in case it's required)

Kickabrat is offline  
Old
07-20-2011, 10:07 AM
  #60
Hossa
Registered User
 
Hossa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Abroad
Posts: 9,262
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by v-man View Post
He's simply been given the bum rap since Murray took over, and anyone who disagrees that North American players are given priority is lying to themselves.
I love this board. You open up one thread and you read that the Murray organization has an agenda that is biased towards North American players. You open up the next, and it's about the Swedish infiltration of our system.

And that's to say nothing about the threads about Dave Cameron which are predicated on the belief that thanks to Melnyk, this organization has a bias towards anything Mississaugua St. Mike's Majors.

Somebody needs to decide once and for all what this organization's secret agenda of discrimination and bais is, because I'm confused.

Hossa is offline  
Old
07-20-2011, 10:12 AM
  #61
D0C
Registered User
 
D0C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 551
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hossa View Post
I love this board. You open up one thread and you read that the Murray organization has an agenda that is biased towards North American players. You open up the next, and it's about the Swedish infiltration of our system.

And that's to say nothing about the threads about Dave Cameron which are predicated on the belief that thanks to Melnyk, this organization has a bias towards anything Mississaugua St. Mike's Majors.

Somebody needs to decide once and for all what this organization's secret agenda of discrimination and bais is, because I'm confused.
Biased towards stamina.

D0C is offline  
Old
07-20-2011, 10:12 AM
  #62
SpezDispenser
Registered User
 
SpezDispenser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 15,915
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hossa View Post
I love this board. You open up one thread and you read that the Murray organization has an agenda that is biased towards North American players. You open up the next, and it's about the Swedish infiltration of our system.

And that's to say nothing about the threads about Dave Cameron which are predicated on the belief that thanks to Melnyk, this organization has a bias towards anything Mississaugua St. Mike's Majors.

Somebody needs to decide once and for all what this organization's secret agenda of discrimination and bais is, because I'm confused.
When you find out, let me know too. I can't keep up with all the conspiracy theories.

SpezDispenser is offline  
Old
07-20-2011, 10:36 AM
  #63
petelevi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,179
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by v-man View Post
Not sure how many times I have to repeat this, but since it's not getting through, he doesn't need an opt out clause, he signed a try out offer simply so he can practice with the team to get ready for the season. He'll be released from it to go to this years training camp in Ottawa and has yet to sign with Dinamo for the season (it explains all this on the team's website). The transfer here is purely for legal purposes since un-signed players cannot train with KHL teams. A mod should really change the thread title so those who are too lazy to read the thread don't misunderstand things.
The key question that I haven't seen answered is this: has he signed his qualifying offer? If not, he can't attend Senators camp without a contract and I doubt they'd offer him a PTO if they thought he might leave for the KHL. If, on the other hand, he has signed his qualifying offer, than all of this is just Daugavins trying to get into better shape.

petelevi is offline  
Old
07-20-2011, 11:18 AM
  #64
Neil Patrick Harris
Playoffs right MEOW
 
Neil Patrick Harris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,722
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyDude View Post
Your right! And Corey Locke had WAY better stats too! Why didn't he get a better shot!
Probably because Corey Locke had chances with two teams before us and failed there too.

Corey Locke got five games last year. Daugavins, in all his years here, got one. That's a damn shame.

I hope he comes back for training camp, but I don't really blame the guy if he stays home in Latvia. He's never gotten a shake at the NHL level while many others from Bingo did.

Neil Patrick Harris is offline  
Old
07-20-2011, 11:19 AM
  #65
obsenssive*
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Alfredstown
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,740
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to obsenssive*
My Latvian friend will be delighted. They need more young Latvians on Dinamo R.

obsenssive* is offline  
Old
07-20-2011, 11:32 AM
  #66
SenzZen
Rik Norris
 
SenzZen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,752
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpezDispenser View Post
When you find out, let me know too. I can't keep up with all the conspiracy theories.
In the meantime:

SenzZen is online now  
Old
07-20-2011, 12:19 PM
  #67
Proust
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,089
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by v-man View Post
A mod should really change the thread title so those who are too lazy to read the thread don't misunderstand things.
My guess is that Daugavins would be one of these people if he posted here. What I'm trying to say is: He's not talented enough to overcome his fatness. He's not an NHL player. Nobody is being discriminated against. I realize you have to defend him because you are Latvian. Perhaps there is room on the Artūrs Kulda bandwagon.

Proust is offline  
Old
07-20-2011, 12:23 PM
  #68
Ski
Calder Cup Champs
 
Ski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Binghamton, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 3,076
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by v-man View Post
He wasn't sent back, he requested to go back, since playing four minutes a night on the fourth line with Yoblonski wasn't doing anything for him or his career. The guy is not a fourth line player, not in the AHL, not in the NHL. He has too much talent for that and not enough size.
Lol, same damn thing aint it??

Ski is offline  
Old
07-20-2011, 12:29 PM
  #69
Xspyrit
Registered User
 
Xspyrit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal, Canada
Country: Monaco
Posts: 14,535
vCash: 1000
For those who worry that Daugavins wasn't given a fair chance. True or not, if he was so highly regarded as a future NHL player, offers would have come by and the Sens would have traded him. Daugavins is nice and all but he is amongst hundreds of hockey players on the bubble trying to make the show.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens Mile View Post
The team looks decent, only thing I am personally worried about is that one injury and call up to the Senators results in a line-up that looks alot weaker. I would debate giving a rookie foward an ELC if they can impress in the annual rookie tournament and let him develop with Elmira.

Anyone know of CHL guys who are free agents that still have an outside chance of being a player?
Both Sens team are unproven and unknown. That's our reality, we are in a rebuild. But the potential is certainly there. Hopefully, we have the right staff to show them the way. But I'm confident with guys like KK, Alfredsson, Phillips, Neil and we'll see about McLean and others.

Concerning injuries in Ottawa, of course it could be a problem but count on Murrays to solve it once again. Blood is joining the B-Sens later on and I think they'll sign a UFA D-man from College/Europe (and/or a goalie). Not worried at all about depht at forwards.

Xspyrit is offline  
Old
07-20-2011, 01:14 PM
  #70
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup
 
FolignoQuantumLeap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: A Blue Box
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,579
vCash: 500
Pretty inconsequential for the Sens if he does go back to Latvia. He's a C or D level prospect who's got tweener written all over him. He's a guy I've been pulling for but I don't blame him for seeking out the payday in his native land. He's about to get passed by guys like Hoffman and Petersson on the depth chart.

If he was to stick it out, I would think he'd get at least a few games with the Sens this season.

FolignoQuantumLeap is offline  
Old
07-20-2011, 01:57 PM
  #71
Holdurbreathe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,329
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by v-man View Post
The guy is not a fourth line player, not in the AHL, not in the NHL. He has too much talent for that and not enough size.
At 6'1" 204 lbs he has the size to play on the fourth line, he just seldom uses it to his advantage.

Holdurbreathe is offline  
Old
07-20-2011, 01:59 PM
  #72
SensFactor
Registered User
 
SensFactor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,749
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afro Thunder View Post
God damn it.

Give me KDaug over Winchester any day of the ****ing week. Great locker room guy, full of energy, has much much more skill, coming off a cup win, instant chemistry with some of the Bingo guys like Greening and Condra where Winchester's chemistry is with the boards in Scotiabank place where he likes to cycle the puck until he eventually loses it then blames it on the boards.
Man, this is SO true...Winchester works hard but doesn't have the skillset IMO to be much of an impact in the game...he has the Peter Schaefer mentality along the boards without the finish....and loses more battles than he wins...I'd put Daugavins in before him too...

SensFactor is offline  
Old
07-20-2011, 03:17 PM
  #73
aragorn
YES WE CAN
 
aragorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Country: Azores
Posts: 12,509
vCash: 500
While a number of people on here thought that Daugavins was a pretty good prospect, I never really shared that view. I always thought that he was a good AHL player when he wanted to be & really one of thos bubble players or tweeners. Just from the times I saw him live at the development camps, rookie tournament & some Bingo games I always found him to be a bit lazy, never seemed to try real hard & I got the imprssion that he thought he was better than he actually is.

In fact, I thought that Zubov & Daugavins reminded me a lot of each other & IMO Zubov was the better talent of the two & had a better shot at playing in Ottawa. As it is turning out it seems that neither are good enough & that's fine because I think Hoffman will be a better player hopefully he will prove that this coming season. Maybe next season Ottawa will draft a big 1st line LWer for this organization, it seems to be a bit of a weakness in their system, is Puempel a LWer or RWer?

aragorn is offline  
Old
07-20-2011, 03:46 PM
  #74
petelevi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,179
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
is Puempel a LWer or RWer?
Leftwing

petelevi is offline  
Old
07-20-2011, 04:00 PM
  #75
aragorn
YES WE CAN
 
aragorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Country: Azores
Posts: 12,509
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by petelevi View Post
Leftwing
I thought so too but Yost has him at RW, makes me wonder about that guy when he gets simple details wrong or he needs a better editor.

aragorn is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:54 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.