HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

What happens if a goalie's pads are stolen?

Closed Thread

Old
08-03-2004, 09:43 AM
Nuclear

vCash: 500
What happens if a goalie's pads are stolen?

I was wondering, what would happen if a goalie's pads were stolen during the finals?

It takes awhile to break in pads, and goalies use their pads everyday for years, so breaking in new pads for the next game (which is probably the next day) is likely impossible.

Old
08-03-2004, 09:51 AM
ACC1224
Steelers 2 - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuclear
I was wondering, what would happen if a goalie's pads were stolen during the finals?

It takes awhile to break in pads, and goalies use their pads everyday for years, so breaking in new pads for the next game (which is probably the next day) is likely impossible.
I'm sure they have more than 1 set of pads, just like players would have more than 1 pair of skates.

Old
08-03-2004, 10:44 AM
mattihp

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224
I'm sure they have more than 1 set of pads, just like players would have more than 1 pair of skates.
I know at least one or two finnish goalies (can't remember who, Nurminen might have been one) have separate pads for home and road games.

Old
08-03-2004, 12:54 PM
donelikedinner

i might be mistaken, but i beieve most goalies have 2 sets of pads. 1 for games and 1 for practices. new pads are boken in during practices until they are comfortable for gameplay.

Old
08-03-2004, 01:25 PM
Nuclear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224
Even so, they store them in the same place.... so someone could steal both of them (or as many of they have).

The question implied that the goalie has no pads anymore, what does he do?

Old
08-03-2004, 01:34 PM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

Quote:
Even so, they store them in the same place.... so someone could steal both of them (or as many of they have).

Use the backup's pads I guess. There was an incident in which a goalie's mask was stolen during a Mem cup a few years back I believe.

Old
08-03-2004, 01:36 PM
mattihp

Quote:

Easy... Gets the equipment manager to go over and steal the other goalie's extra pads

Old
08-03-2004, 01:40 PM
donelikedinner

Quote:

i would think that if the started had no pads, the backup would play as another players pads would feel somewhat like wearing someone elses old wornout shoes, except worse. but what would i know, i played D.

Old
08-03-2004, 02:00 PM
MikeC44

I think Tommy Soderstrom's body armour was stoeln one year he played for the Isles.
I'm pretty sure he had to play with new gear.

Old
08-03-2004, 02:14 PM
jiggs 10

Gee, I guess the backup goalie would finally get a start, huh?

ALL NHL goalies have several sets of pads, and no, they are not all stored together. Nearly every NHL team practices at a defferent rink then they play in. The practice gear is there. The game gear gets bagged up and sent along with the team. If it was a home game, someone would just run and get the practice gear from the practice rink. If it was a road game...either the backup plays, or the main goalie plays in used stuff. I'd opt for the backup to play, because it's hard for anyone, let alone goalies, to play in other people's equipment.

Old
08-03-2004, 02:21 PM
JDB3939

Send a message via AIM to JDB3939
I just want to say, great topic. We hardly ever see abstract stuff like this around here anymore. It's always "who is better" "who is going to win" blah blah blah.

Does anyone honestly think in 2001 if Roy's pads were stolen before game 6 that the Avs would put Aebischer in? Yeah right, Roy takes new pads, or Aebischers pads.

Old
08-03-2004, 02:24 PM
ErnestoGuevara

Someone stole Martin Biron's gear (it was in his car) not too long ago, I think it was last summer. Anyways the only thing he was worried about was his goalie mask as he only has one and it has somewhat of a sentimental and good luck value... I'm pretty sure he got his stuff back thoug...they found the car and his hockey bag was still in it and nothing was missing.

Old
08-03-2004, 04:22 PM
Le Golie

Goalies have several pairs of pads. Each summer they get demos from the major manufacturers they request samples from. They try them out and then order a couple of custom built pairs from their favourite brands.

I know Ed Belfour decides which pair of pads to wear by weighing them before each game, the difference is always less than an ounce (depending on water soaking) but he's anal about it.

They are comfortable wearing more than one pair per season.

Old
08-04-2004, 10:11 PM
gr8haluschak

On a side note to the guy who wondered if that happened in the Mem cup a few years ago, I know Tigers goalie Nastiuk's mask was stole this past year, and a few years ago the Ice's equipment room was busted into and a lot of stuff was taken, including some of Blackburn's stuff.

Old
08-04-2004, 10:40 PM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDB3939
I just want to say, great topic. We hardly ever see abstract stuff like this around here anymore. It's always "who is better" "who is going to win" blah blah blah.
I agree! More variety!

Old
08-04-2004, 11:36 PM
Spetzky

Send a message via MSN to Spetzky
Well, if you have a backup then you could borrow theirs.

Old
08-04-2004, 11:47 PM
Arel

Use the backup's pads I guess. There was an incident in which a goalie's mask was stolen during a Mem cup a few years back I believe. ----> memorial cups 2004

Closed Thread