Notices

A New Excitement is Brewing...

Old
07-20-2011, 12:37 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

vCash: 500
A New Excitement is Brewing...

With the scrimmages over and the dog days of summer fast approaching, Minnesota fans cannot wait until the temperature turns cooler (I feel sorry for you guys. 115 degree heat index? It's worse than Texas!) and the sounds of hockey fill the air.

And can you blame us?

For once, Minnesota fans finally have something to look forward to. No more scrounging for goals, no more managing expectations of a offensive deprived team and watching shots go wide of the net.

Risebrough once said that he didn't manage expectations.

Well Fletcher has.

He understood what the fans wanted and that was offense. The sacrifice wasn't easy but he did it because he knew what the fans expected and what we wanted.

But that wasn't all.

Nope.

After listening and reading the reports on the scrimmage, I can safely say that Fletcher and Flahr have a different vision, a different type of player they are going toward.

Fletcher came into the organization saying draft picks and young players were like gold and were valuable.

And for a while, I was skeptical. Trading a 2nd and a prospect for two years of Kobasew. Leddy for Barker.

I rolled my eyes and thought, here we go again. A guy that's just going to blow hot smoke up our ***** and tell us what we wanted to here.

But looking at the drafts and the trades now, he knows he made a mistake and the key to making a mistake is did you learn from it? And Fletcher has.

Grabbing not only the top prospect from San Jose and their first for a possible rental to be in Burns? Grabbing some fallers in Lucia and Zucker in the draft?

Fletcher is picking and choosing who he wants, what he wants and he wants young prospects but he isn't afraid to turn two nickles into a dime if he has to be.

For once, Minnesota has a prospect group to look forward to.

The last time this happened was in 05-06...5 years ago!

And not to knock on guys like O'Sullivan, Voloshenko, and Pouliot but to me Fletcher is making better decision on who to pick up. Smart hockey IQ guys with some offensive flair. They might not be the sexy pick like Brodin over Murphy or Granlund over Fowler but they are the right picks.

How can I say that?

Because look at what Brodin accomplished at 17 years of age? Look at what Granlund has accomplished as well?

Zucker, Larrson are held in high respects along with Coyle.

And again not to knock on guys like O'Sullivan but the guys we're now choosing don't have as many character concerns or were the 'safe picks'. They had a good, high IQ and their knocks were physical not ability or mental. Something that can be worked on.

And personally, I can't wait to see them grow this year in their respective leagues.

I think for once, Minnesota has done something right and we have a lot more excitement at all levels for a team that was a question mark last year.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 01:47 AM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

******* it, it's still 80 ****ing days till Hockey.

llamapalooza is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 03:11 AM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

And even worse... it's 3am and it's still 81 ****ing degrees with ****ing humidity of 79%!

Can't even look out the windows here at work, they're all covered in condensation!

TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 03:16 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Take it! And like it! We've had to deal with it in the past 10 years.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 03:40 AM
Avder
Global Moderator
Reliable NonSequitur

vCash: 50
its 83 degrees with a heat index of 90 here in moorhead, and the AC here has been overworked the last few days. Its finally nice and frosty inside as opposed to modestly chilly during the day. Its too hot to go outside for more than a few minutes at a time, and its still 80+ days until the Wild season opener. The Twins are just barely doing the job of keeping me entertained during the summer, and I havnt evne given a second thought about the Vikings yet.

Is it October yet? I think I'd like to give August and September a miss this year. Too flipping hot and stormy.

Avder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 03:41 AM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

This is just another reason why I prefer winter! Give me 20 below any day over this damn heat and humidity!

TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 07:01 AM
forthewild

hockey is too far out, i have been yearning for it so badly i've been watching becoming wild episode 1 over and over.

and yes its so nice to be surprised by guys like Zucker having a huge year, or to see Granludn win, its nice to have a farm that has potential for impact.

forthewild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 08:38 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

This is the first time I've seen TSK bristling with positivity in...ever!

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 08:38 AM
Spawnisen
Believe.

I'm so excited for the coming season!! I can't wait several months! :-(

Spawnisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 08:42 AM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
This is the first time I've seen TSK bristling with positivity in...ever!
i know...i'm wondering if someone maybe hacked him.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 08:45 AM
nickschultzfan

I'm very excited about our forwards for the first time in a very long time.

I mean, we have three guys with 30+ goal scoring potential in our top-6! And that's not even including Koivu, Bouchard, and Clutterbuck! Or quality role players like Brodziak and Cullen! Or the grittiness of Powe, Gillies, Nystrom, and Staubitz!

The defense worries me, as I think Zanon is limit and Zidlicky must play at the top of his game. Still, Schultz is always solid. Stoner and Lundin could make a great #2 pairing with awesome shut-down potential. And guys like Scandella, Prosser, and Brodin give us some bright spots on for the future.

nickschultzfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 09:04 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

While the defense isn't a real bright spot, it sounds like Lundin is a solid defensive player. We're not going to get much for offense out of the blue line, but for once we have enough up front to get by. With Yeo's confidence in players like Prosser, I think Scandella starts in Houston, but when Zidz gets hurt midway through the season he'll be able to step right up without much hurt. The only real blemish for our defense (other than the lack of offense) is the lack of a true #1 guy. We're not going to win the cup with this team, but barring a major injury (like Bouchard missing 100+ games) we should be in strong contention to finish as high as 5th, and shouldn't be any worse than 10th.

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 09:32 AM
forthewild

i have this feeling that Yeo and Co. feel confident that the d will be capable of doing the required job to win, while we need high end potential we have Scandella and Brodin in the pipe line and next draft is supposed to be good for defensive players, plus we could lad a good dman in FA.

Old
07-20-2011, 09:49 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

I hope Wellman, Almond, or Sheppard show enough in Houston (assuming they don't make the team) for us to dump our 2012 UFAs at the trade deadline. What sort of return (in straight picks) do we think Zanon and Brodziak (or Cullen if we can get him to waive his NTC) will bring in? Is a second too high for Zanon?

Old
07-20-2011, 09:56 AM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
I hope Wellman, Almond, or Sheppard show enough in Houston (assuming they don't make the team) for us to dump our 2012 UFAs at the trade deadline. What sort of return (in straight picks) do we think Zanon and Brodziak (or Cullen if we can get him to waive his NTC) will bring in? Is a second too high for Zanon?
Conservative estimates would be a 4th for Zanon, and a 2nd or 3rd for Brodziak (depending on whether his offense resembles last year). Although I've said before that I wouldn't be too happy dumping Brodz, no matter what position we're in. Cullen? Not too sure, as it also depends on what kind of offensive year he has, but I'd also imagine it to be in the 2nd or 3rd round range.

Dr Jan Itor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 10:03 AM
MNWILDFAN001

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaLoN View Post
This is just another reason why I prefer winter! Give me 20 below any day over this damn heat and humidity!
Not me. I'll take extreme heat over extreme cold any day. The only good part about winter is it's hockey season. The rest sucks.

MNWILDFAN001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 10:05 AM
forthewild

i think both zanon and brodz can fetch a 2nd each, prices are inflated at deadline and i do feel zanon will be shipped, in all honesty Stoner is better and Scandella could be top 4 at camp.

plus zanon brings some grit and shot blocking that some playoff team would want.

Old
07-20-2011, 10:14 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

At the deadline, Zanon's definitely worth more than a 4th. Prices are inflated, and he's exactly the kind of depth piece that teams are looking for. He's 100% grit and determination.

I don't know if Brodziak's value inflates like Zanon's, but he's more valuable to start with. The only reason I suggested we'd get rid of Brodziak is I doubt we re-sign him if we still have Cullen. I don't think we'll be able to move Cullen because of his NTC. So if we have to lose him anyway, and this year isn't our real focus, we might as well get some value for him.

Old
07-20-2011, 10:16 AM
Dr Jan Itor

Some quick comparables for Zanon, based on last season's TD:

Eric Brewer: 2011 3rd rounder + prospect
Ian White: 2012 2nd rounder
Paul Mara: 2012 5th rounder

Is Zanon closer to Ian White or Paul Mara? I think Mara.

Of course a team could overpay, but I really wouldn't anticipate or plan on getting a 2nd rounder for him (even a 3rd is pushing it, IMO)

Last edited by Dr Jan Itor: 07-20-2011 at 10:21 AM.
Dr Jan Itor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 10:19 AM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

I could see one or both of Zanon and Stoner moved. I also believe Brodziak will be moved. Centers with strong two-way play and grit are always in demand. As for what they would warrant, too early to tell given their up and downs. Will have to see how their years go.

As for the thread, I agree, there's a bit of buzz about the team. I still don't think this is a playoff team but it'll be a much more interesting team to watch just purely to see how all the factors come together. As far as the prospect pool, I'm a big fan. Hoping to get one of the 3-5 stud defenseman in the upcoming draft to supplement it...

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 10:49 AM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

For better or worse, the Wild are really Fletcher's team. And that brings a new excitement which is contagious.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 10:53 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Well keep in mind if the Wild are still in the playoffs neither could be moved. It depends on if they are pushed down the depth chart or not.

Zanon would likely get a 3rd rounder...Brodziak a 2nd.

Old
07-20-2011, 11:02 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

This came from another thread but seems to make more sense here.

Re: Wellman's "last shot", it's really not in his hands. He is a top six player, and if there isn't a top six opening this year due to injury, then he's going to play in Houston.

When we're penciling in Granlund, and possibly Zucker or Coyle next year, keep in mind we still have Koivu, Heatley, Setoguchi, Latendresse, and Bouchard in the top six.

It would be interesting to find out Fletcher and Yeo's philosophy here...if we have enough talent could we make three scoring lines and a checking line instead of two scoring lines, a checking line, and an energy line? Wouldn't that be the goal of any hockey team?

Something like:

Bouchard-Koivu-Heatley
Larsson-Granlund-Setoguchi
Zucker-Coyle-Latendresse
Gillies-Almond-Clutterbuck

Old
07-20-2011, 11:19 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Well keep in mind if the Wild are still in the playoffs neither could be moved. It depends on if they are pushed down the depth chart or not.

Zanon would likely get a 3rd rounder...Brodziak a 2nd.
I think we're moving Zanon unless there are no buyers, he's hurt, or we lose multiple D-men for the season. From the looks of our roster, Scandella will play in Houston until injuries allow him to play top-4 minutes with the Wild or Zanon is moved. This is regardless of playoff positioning.

Old
07-20-2011, 11:21 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Zanon is exactly the player you want in the playoffs though. Kills penalties, blocks shots, leads by example. If the team is well-positioned and playing well, he would be more valuable than a late 3rd. He's not a top four defenseman for sure...and not part of the future.

Schultz - Zidlicky
Scandella - Lundin
Zanon - Stoner/Spurgeon