vCash: 500
Top Goalies for 2012 OHL Draft

Who are they...

Danglekov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 02:05 PM
TobiasE

long way away right now but an early top dog for the goaltenders could be the Rebels Herbst. Ive heard a lot about him but he does play on the best '96 team...
He is somewhere close to 6'3 from what I was told last year and covers a lot of net, could be a bit higher of skill then Dekort with similar game style.

Ill let you know more once the season gets underway.

TobiasE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 08:17 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by TobiasE View Post
long way away right now but an early top dog for the goaltenders could be the Rebels Herbst. Ive heard a lot about him but he does play on the best '96 team...
He is somewhere close to 6'3 from what I was told last year and covers a lot of net, could be a bit higher of skill then Dekort with similar game style.

Ill let you know more once the season gets underway.
Without a doubt, although with goaltenders I find (with me at least) that once I see the top 4-5, very rarely does it change in my eyes. Martin was #1 all year long last yeat.

With 96's, Liam Herbst is the top goaltender from what I understand.

As TobiasE said, have to wait until the start of the season.

Tigers1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 10:14 PM
Snaf

Another goalie i heard that might give Herbst a run for the first goalie in the draft is Max Tjin from Ajax/Pickering. From what I hear, Tjin is only about 5'8", but has all the right tools.
About 2-3 more inches and he might take it.

Snaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 09:49 AM
Crottenham

Another good one is Jeremy Lintner on the Junior Canadiens.

Crottenham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 10:31 AM
Tigers1992

The top goaltenders this season appear to be...

Liam Herbert - Mississauga Rebels
Matthew Robson - Toronto Marlboros
Brent Moran - Ottawa Jr 67s
Logan Halladay- Carolina Hurricanes
Ryan Wischow - Wisconsin Prep

But its early

Old
10-21-2011, 12:32 PM
Crottenham

I'm assuming all of these kids would be eligible for the OHL draft, even the kid in Wisconsin? Thanks.

Old
10-21-2011, 01:06 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crottenham View Post
I'm assuming all of these kids would be eligible for the OHL draft, even the kid in Wisconsin? Thanks.
Yes. Wisconsin is an OHL protected state.

Old
10-26-2011, 05:18 PM
Snaf

In my opinion (and probably other people's opinions too) it's kind of hard to say that these goaltenders are the top ones. The reason I'm saying this is because the "top goalies" listed, all play on top-notch teams. None of the goalies have to opportunity to actually be tested and show what kind of goalie they really are.
So all the real top goalies lie somewhere from the worst teams to the middle-class teams.

Old
10-27-2011, 02:53 PM
hockeyfan3064

London Jr. Knights Green and Gold Results

After watching the LJK tournament I was able to catch a goalie named Joey Cruz playing for Thunder AAA Hockey. Despite his small size he has tremendous upside and tracks pucks well through traffic. Very comparable to Halladay in talent. He carried his team through the entire game against Don Mills and had great rebound control, including a great follow up game against Thunder Bay. If he can grow a few inches he will definitely tons of OHL potential.

hockeyfan3064 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 03:23 PM
Crottenham

In my opinion (and probably other people's opinions too) it's kind of hard to say that these goaltenders are the top ones. The reason I'm saying this is because the "top goalies" listed, all play on top-notch teams. None of the goalies have to opportunity to actually be tested and show what kind of goalie they really are.

According to MYhockey Rankings, on the US side the Carolina Hurricanes are ranked 95th currently while I could not find Wisconsin Prep I did notice Team Wisconsin is ranked 45th, not sure if this is the one and same. Based on rankings and win-loss record of these teams, they're getting tesating plenty.

As far as the Canadian goalies listed, I've always been of the opinion that first off they are on the best teams for a reason, usually because they are quite good. Secondly, as far as the Marlies and Rebels are concerned they have played lots of playoff games, big tournaments and all-Ontario tournaments where these kids have been tested in close games against elite competition and proved their mettle.

I for one don't buy what you're selling, with all due respect.

Old
10-27-2011, 05:03 PM
Snaf

I respect what your saying.
It's all just one opinion against another.

Old
10-27-2011, 08:38 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaf View Post
I respect what your saying.
It's all just one opinion against another.
Your no don't entitled to that opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaf View Post
So all the real top goalies lie somewhere from the worst teams to the middle-class teams.
The season is well underway, in the past years, the top goaltenders have always shown themselves. in the 94 draft it was known that Altshuller and Murray where the top goaltenders in Ontario. In the 93 Draft the same was known about Tiechmann and Binnington. You can see the path constantly repeating from years back.

The Amerian goaltenders where invited to the U15 program in July, that program has always yield the top american goaltenders, from Jack Campbell, Matt Mahalak, Dalton Iyzk to Brandon Hope. I think, based solely on the past record, we can be assured that they will once again be the top goaltenders for the OHL Draft. I havent had a chance to see them just yet, but I do plan on making a trip out to see them.

With Herbet, I just witnessed him play a high pressure game against the Toronto Marlboros, where he showed quite well.

It is early, which is why i hate any rankings that come out pre-January, however look at the history of my posts, and youll find that generally im not to far off. Given my past with the OHL, as well as my current employment, im usually in the loop as to who is considered to be the best, as well as the fact that im usually out to 4-5 games a week and all the major tournaments.

Last edited by Tigers1992: 10-27-2011 at 09:03 PM.
Old
10-27-2011, 08:41 PM
Tigers1992

As an aside,

Id caution any parent or player who uses this board to promote a particular player or interest. It becomes obvious, and can hurt that promoted player in the long run.

Old
10-30-2011, 08:57 AM
hockeyfan3064

Is it safe to say Herbst will be the first goalie taken?

hockeyfan3064 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 10:11 AM
fanofdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers1992 View Post
As an aside,

Id caution any parent or player who uses this board to promote a particular player or interest. It becomes obvious, and can hurt that promoted player in the long run.
Let me add a few things; Every year, some team takes a player ahead of where they were 'projected', every year several or even many, excel in the OHL that were overlooked. Every year players fall in the draft, often due to their parents actions and comments. The top projected players in the draft only get picked once, the next player in line then becomes the 'top projected' player in the draft - sounds simple but there are many starting goalies in the OHL and the NHL that were not the top prospects (Ever hear of Tim Thomas?).

Coming on the board with single digit posts questioning a poster that has hundreds of posts isn't welcome by the many posters that appreciate an unbiased view. Opinions are most welcome, especially when there is not a hidden agenda.

Why am I posting this? Because previously, this thread has been hi-jacked, trolled and nearly ruined by parents using this to trash other players in the hopes it helps their son in the draft. We would really hope that this doesn't happen this year - take this time to spend with your son and enjoy. He may be living with billets next year - unless you ruin it.

fanofdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 06:16 AM
ottawafan66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers1992 View Post
The top goaltenders this season appear to be...

Liam Herbert - Mississauga Rebels
Matthew Robson - Toronto Marlboros
Brent Moran - Ottawa Jr 67s
Logan Halladay- Carolina Hurricanes
Ryan Wischow - Wisconsin Prep

But its early
I would add another Ottawa goalie to this list...Nicholas Hodgins of the Ottawa Valley Titans. Not only is he having a great year so far but he also had a terrific training camp with the Pembroke Lumber Kings Junior A team. Coach Sheldon Keefe stated that he would have made the team except he's only 15.

ottawafan66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 01:21 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawafan66 View Post
I would add another Ottawa goalie to this list...Nicholas Hodgins of the Ottawa Valley Titans. Not only is he having a great year so far but he also had a terrific training camp with the Pembroke Lumber Kings Junior A team. Coach Sheldon Keefe stated that he would have made the team except he's only 15.
Deffinetly another one to look at.

Ive only seen him a few times, so its hard to discuss specifics, but he looks to have the tools.

Old
11-05-2011, 04:56 PM
dean youngblood82
HFB Partner

Just follow the Plymouth Whalers scouts around and you will find the best goaltenders haaha

dean youngblood82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 06:47 AM
midwest scouting
Rookie User

mark loveday U16 shattuck st mary's--been solid holding a struggling team in games--

midwest scouting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 07:22 PM
krazy kanuck

Was at the ETA showcase this weekend, and took in the Barrie games (against YSE, South Central Wolves and Quinte) as well as portions Markham/Central and Clarington/AP games. The kids who seemed to have the best performances (that I saw) were:

Walker, SCW (5 GA against Barrie - on about 60 shots - should have been a lot worse)
Taylor, YSE (3 GA against Barrie)
Andriano, Barrie (SO against SCW)

krazy kanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 10:49 AM
Skip Wiley

Top ETA Goalies in no particular order IMHO:

Ajax - Tjins
YSE - Taylor
S.Central - Walker

Top SCTA Goalies in no particular order IMHO:

South Tier - Singh, Janzen
Guelph - Svitek

Top GTHL Goalies in no particular order IMHO:

Rebels - Herbst
Marlies - Robson

Hard to tell in the G. Are the goaies that good or are do the teams in front of them make them look that much better.

Skip Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 01:55 PM
KL14

OEMHL Top Goalies

Titans - Hodgins
Ottawa 67s - Moran

Both lead their teams and come up big when needed

KL14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 06:53 PM
zaluty

Is Moran's dad the heart surgeon in Orleans?

zaluty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 08:50 PM
mapleleaf979

Liam Herbst is head and shoulders above the rest right now
Matt Robson
Cam Hackett
Mike Muzyka

mapleleaf979 is offline   Reply With Quote