HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Worst deal the oilers ever did

Closed Thread

Old
08-03-2004, 11:14 AM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

vCash: 500
Worst deal the oilers ever did

Worst deal the oilers ever did--could get ugly I know that.

I say the Gretz deal--at the time it was accepted that the oilers had their choice of either Robitaile or Carson

Old
08-03-2004, 11:35 AM
zamboni

The Oilers, like every other organization, made some bad moves over the years.

Nothing comes close to the Gretzky deal. Nothing.

Old
08-03-2004, 11:36 AM
Bohologo

Cue underinformed critics of the Weight deal...

Old
08-03-2004, 11:39 AM
Oilhitch

The Satan deal

Old
08-03-2004, 11:39 AM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

The only thing saving the weight deal is the trade of Hecht for two 2nd rounders who turned into Stoll and JDD

Old
08-03-2004, 11:42 AM
zamboni

If Reasoner didn't have injury problems it would be better. After Marty's first year as an Oiler (which was poor), he really turned the corner. If Reasoner is healthy this coming season, the Oilers will be a lot better.

Also the fact that Weight hasn't been the same after the trade, and was heavily critisized for a poor playoff preformance this year. Not to mention that hideous 9 million dollar salary.

Old
08-03-2004, 11:52 AM
Slats432

I am one of few that supported the Gretzky deal. Aside from the emotions involved, the assets acquired were solid, and some parlayed into a cup victory in 1990. Sadly all of the assets were not reinvested into the franchise, but the assets themselves were solid.

Worst deal asset wise....Satan.

Last edited by Slats432: 08-03-2004 at 11:57 AM.
Old
08-03-2004, 12:22 PM
MrMackey

Craig Millar and Barrie Moore for Satan was horrible, but as dynastydays pointed out in the other thread...

Quote:
June 26, 1999 Oilers trade minor league D CRAIG MILLAR to the Nashville Predators for a 3rd-round draft pick in the 1999 NHL entry draft. The Oilers used the draft pick to select Edmonton native C MIKE COMRIE
Schremp, Woywitka, a third in 2005 and Moore for Satan might not look so bad, even though it took 8 or 9 years to work itself out.

Old
08-03-2004, 12:26 PM
Mxpunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilhitch
The Satan deal
I agree...It was crazy how he kicked butt against Gretzky's All-Stars, and everyone was praising him as a great player. Then he gets traded for two guys who really didn't do much!

Old
08-03-2004, 01:39 PM
zamboni

I can easily see why Gretzky was traded...he was an asset that hit the top of the hill and the Oilers wanted to deal him while he was in his prime. The problem is, when you trade the best whose ever played the game, you're never going to get a proper return. Sure the Oil got some decent assets, but it wasn't near Gretzky's value.

Old
08-03-2004, 02:26 PM
hockeyaddict101

Are we forgetting the Messier deal?

Yech.

Old
08-03-2004, 03:58 PM
Wolfpack

Worst deal

I guess it doesn't really qualify as a "deal", but I was always disappointed that the Oilers left Scott Mellanby unprotected in the '93 waiver draft, when he was then claimed by Florida. Mellanby had a lot of good hockey left in him at that point, and he was exactly the kind of leader that the Oilers needed during the dark years of the mid-90's. He would have made a much better captain than Corson, anyway.

Old
08-03-2004, 04:06 PM
PigeonCamera

You mean the Gretzky "SALE"

Because if it had actually been an asset for asset trade, think of the Lindros deal between Philly and Quebec for starting value...instead of money.

The Messier trade was terrible, absolutely terrible, especially considering the young prospects that they had at the time. Weight, Amonte, Kovalev...and we ended up with Nicholls, Rice and Debrusk. To me that's the one that stinks. Add in the futures (Beukaboom for David Shaw) and it gets worse.

Lowetide has this one tatooed on his forehead!

Satan hurt, because everyone and his dog could see this kid was going to break out.

Old
08-03-2004, 06:10 PM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

Satan because I don't believe we even got a used tissue back in return.

Old
08-03-2004, 07:51 PM
Yanner39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack
I guess it doesn't really qualify as a "deal", but I was always disappointed that the Oilers left Scott Mellanby unprotected in the '93 waiver draft, when he was then claimed by Florida. Mellanby had a lot of good hockey left in him at that point, and he was exactly the kind of leader that the Oilers needed during the dark years of the mid-90's. He would have made a much better captain than Corson, anyway.
Good one. Never understood that especially after the lengths the OIlers went to get him. I remember at the time Sather saying they were trying for a while to get him.

Old
08-03-2004, 07:54 PM
Lowetide

The 99 deal was more about money than anything, and as such was more of a screw than a hockey deal.

The Kurri trade was piss poor, but the one that killed me as a fan was the Messier trade. Why on God's earth would you trade a guy like that? WHY? I have heard from several sources that the deal was basically a "thanks and here you go" from the Oilers who knew they coudn't afford him anymore, and I've heard some other things too.

But really it came down to an awful drafting record and the cupboard being bare. If we go back over the 86-91 drafts it isn't hard to see how that great bloody team ended up being the George Burnett Oilers just a few seasons later.

It was and still is the absolute worst day for the Edmonton Oilers.

Old
08-03-2004, 08:57 PM
vb

Not the worst, but developing Beukeboom for 6 years, watching him dominate the Flames and Kings in the '91 playoffs, then trading him to the Rangers for David freakin' Shaw was pretty bad.

Old
08-03-2004, 09:10 PM
Yakupov is a gangsta
Hemsky is a gangsta

re

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowetide
The 99 deal was more about money than anything, and as such was more of a screw than a hockey deal.

The Kurri trade was piss poor, but the one that killed me as a fan was the Messier trade. Why on God's earth would you trade a guy like that? WHY? I have heard from several sources that the deal was basically a "thanks and here you go" from the Oilers who knew they coudn't afford him anymore, and I've heard some other things too.

But really it came down to an awful drafting record and the cupboard being bare. If we go back over the 86-91 drafts it isn't hard to see how that great bloody team ended up being the George Burnett Oilers just a few seasons later.

It was and still is the absolute worst day for the Edmonton Oilers.
Apparently Messier requested a trade, or atleast he said he wanted 'to explore new challenges' because he had done it all in Edmonton. He said that on some show on the NHL Network which basically said the highlight of his career was winning the cup with the Rangers in 94.

Old
08-04-2004, 05:58 AM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb
Not the worst, but developing Beukeboom for 6 years, watching him dominate the Flames and Kings in the '91 playoffs, then trading him to the Rangers for David freakin' Shaw was pretty bad.
That was part of the Messier deal--so it was reported at the time

Old
08-04-2004, 09:45 AM
Mr Sakich

I have always hated the Maltby for McGillis trade. Maltby is the kind of guy who wins cups and McGillis has never really impressed me. I think a big part of why I like Torres so much is that he reminds me of a young Maltby with better hands.

Old
08-04-2004, 09:56 AM
dynastydays

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich
I have always hated the Maltby for McGillis trade. Maltby is the kind of guy who wins cups and McGillis has never really impressed me. I think a big part of why I like Torres so much is that he reminds me of a young Maltby with better hands.
McGillis brought us Niinimaa.... which in turn brought us Isbister/Torres. Ironic that you hate the trade that in turn gave you what you love huh?

Old
08-04-2004, 12:17 PM
Mr Sakich

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynastydays
McGillis brought us Niinimaa.... which in turn brought us Isbister/Torres. Ironic that you hate the trade that in turn gave you what you love huh?

ziiiinnnngggg

I hate irony, especially when it applies to me.

Old
08-04-2004, 12:44 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
Sakich, send me a big copy of your avatar... I'm going to pass it on to some people.
(And clean out your PM box... this message was supposed to go there but it's full)

Guy

Old
08-04-2004, 12:51 PM
misfit

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Flaming
Sakich, send me a big copy of your avatar... I'm going to pass it on to some people.
(And clean out your PM box... this message was supposed to go there but it's full)

Guy
You can find a bigger version of it in this thread (first post)

http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=90964

Old
08-04-2004, 12:58 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
Thanks Misfit!

Forget it Sakich, just you forget it!

Closed Thread