HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

My predictions for the 2004-2005 Flyers roster

Closed Thread

Old
07-12-2004, 10:06 AM
Nuclear

vCash: 500
My predictions for the 2004-2005 Flyers roster

Forwards:

-Patrick Sharp
-Simon Gagne
-Branko Radivojevic
-Radovan Somik
-Sami Kapanen
-Keith Primeau
-Michal Handzus
-Todd Fedoruk
-Mike Knuble
-Turner Stevenson
-Jeff Carter
-Mike Richards (If the whole NHL season is played, he'll come up after the season is 1/2 over)
-Tony Amonte (pending a restructure of contract)
-Alex Zhamnov (resigned for a good price...)
-Random/ good UFAs

Defense:

-Danny Markov
-Joni Pitkanen
-Dennis Seidenberg
-Marcus Ragnarsson
-Kim Johnsson
-Eric Desjardins (pending a restructure of contract)
-Random/ good UFAs

Goaltenders:

-Robert Esche
-Antero Niittymaki

Players that will be gone:

-Mark Recchi (obvious)
-Jermey Roenick (still has headaches, most likely wont play in the WC, probably will retire >_<)
-Sean Burke (Semi buy-out, traded to Phoenix for draft picks)
-Donald Brashear (3 million for a fighter with a pending cap? Get out of here....)
-Vladimir Malakhov (Probably will retire. Won't get the money he wants. Chance he may come back...)
-Mattias Timander (Signed with Europe, but is most likely not a backup plan for a work-stoppage. He stated he wanted to go back home I believe)
-John LeClair (9 million? Total buyout when new CBA rolls around)
-Claude Lapointe (Clarke said he's not allowed back to the Flyers)

Opinions?

Old
07-12-2004, 10:15 AM
ObeySteve
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to ObeySteve
Roenick and Timander will be back. Roenick isn't going to retire, and I believe Timander already re-signed.

Old
07-12-2004, 10:17 AM
Takeo

Flyers board down?

Old
07-12-2004, 10:25 AM
Nuclear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo21
Flyers board down?
Nope. I just wanted more opinions than just from Flyers fans. Also during the day there's only like less than 10 people on the Flyers board, compared to the NHL board which has alot more. That's why I posted it there.

Old
07-12-2004, 10:42 AM
Pontifex Maximus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObeySteve
Roenick and Timander will be back. Roenick isn't going to retire, and I believe Timander already re-signed.
Timander was qualified to retain his rights.

Old
07-12-2004, 10:49 AM
Cross Out The Eyes*

Send a message via AIM to Cross Out The Eyes* Send a message via Yahoo to Cross Out The Eyes*
Handzus - Zhamnov - Knuble
Gagne - Carter - Radivojevic
Kapanen - Primeau - Stevenson
Brashear - Sharp - Somik
Meloche
Fedoruk

Johnsson - Ragnarsson
Markov - Free agent Signing
Desjardins - Pitkanen
Seidenberg

Esche
Frank

Looking at a payroll of about 40 million, maybe a little bit higher.
Post CBA, that is a pretty good team.

Old
07-12-2004, 10:50 AM
Nuclear

Meloche wouldn't see NHL time next year IMO. I'd rather have Voce on a line than Meloche (if we sign him).

Old
07-12-2004, 01:16 PM
Pontifex Maximus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuclear
Meloche wouldn't see NHL time next year IMO. I'd rather have Voce on a line than Meloche (if we sign him).
Voce should be worried about what line he is on with the Phantoms.

Old
07-12-2004, 01:45 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 440
Voce will not see NHL ice unless we go through a roster much like an expansion team.

Old
07-12-2004, 04:11 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

i dunno, here's what i come up with:

Gagne-Zhamnov(?)-Roenick
Carter-Handzus-Knuble
Kapanen-Primeau-Radivojevic
Fedoruk-Sharp-Stevenson
Ex: Somik, Umberger (will get the odd call-up)

Johnsson-Markov
Pitkanen-Ragnarsson
Desjardins-Seidenberg/Timander
Ex: Seidenberg/Timander

Esche-Niittymaki

LeClair, Amonte, Burke, Brashear, Recchi are gone

What do u think?

Old
07-12-2004, 04:23 PM
Yertle The Turtle

Send a message via AIM to Yertle The Turtle Send a message via MSN to Yertle The Turtle Send a message via Yahoo to Yertle The Turtle
Thats one of the few rosters i could beleive. Exept i dont think Fedurok would play before somik.

Old
07-12-2004, 05:57 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

ya, i kinda forgot stevenson could fight, as long as he fights, then i guess Somik > Fedoruk

Old
07-12-2004, 06:37 PM
easton122

Send a message via AIM to easton122 Send a message via MSN to easton122
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Flyers_
ya, i kinda forgot stevenson could fight, as long as he fights, then i guess Somik > Fedoruk
Well Stevenson will fight. It doesn't necessarily mean he can

Old
07-12-2004, 09:01 PM
goodrev

at least we can get excited about watching him get the piss beat out of himself, brashear is a serious dissapointment when it comes to fighting, he is really good at it, he just never wants to do it... i think he lost his balls somewhere on the flight to philly when he was traded here

Old
07-12-2004, 10:42 PM
easton122

Send a message via AIM to easton122 Send a message via MSN to easton122
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodrev
at least we can get excited about watching him get the piss beat out of himself, brashear is a serious dissapointment when it comes to fighting, he is really good at it, he just never wants to do it... i think he lost his balls somewhere on the flight to philly when he was traded here
The whole league is a disappoint when it comes to fighting. Im sure if fighting was more common Brashear would fight more. If Brashear fights a few times and beats the piss out of the guys he fights he is doing his job. He is an enforcer who is supposed to be feared. The thing about guys like Oliwa is they fight a lot but they lose some times so guys aren't afraid to fight them. Fedoruk is supposed to be our entertainment while Brashear is the intimidator for the other teams.

Old
07-13-2004, 09:14 AM
Jester

Gagne - Zhamnov - Roenick (Gagne will be at 70 points with this line for 82 games)
Kapanen - Primeau - Radio (Primeau with two high energy players... good combo)
Knuble - Handzus - Ruzicka/Carter (Handzus is the perfect center for a rookie winger, he protects them from playing defense)
Somik/Sharp/Brash - Richards/Sharp - Stevenson (who knows...)

Desjardins - Markov
Johnsson - Seidenberg
Pitkanen - Ragnarsson

Esche
Burke(trade/buy-out pending)
Nitty

Roenick WILL be back, he said as much when he was on The Best Damn Sports Show. He may not survive the season, but he will be back, guy is a warrior and he wants his name engraved somewhere.

Rico will be back, and won't be asked to re-structure, he isn't that "expensive" in the big scheme, and Hitch loves the guy. KJ with Seids, and Pitkanen with Rags should be pairings capable of putting up decent numbers as well. Especially KJ and Seids, love Seids shot from the point.

Zhamnov is a wild-card, the longer he remains on the market the more likely i think it is that he will return. The problem is that he and Amonte are good friends, so if we drop Amonte that may influence Zhamnov's decision. I hope Amonte re-structures, would really help in transitioning between our different age groups.

Carter, Richards, and Ruzicka...

It is a fact that Hitch is not the biggest fan of playing rookies big minutes, especially up the middle. Therefore, I very much doubt either Carter or Richards could see a role on a scoring line at center unless they come in and are utterly amazing in camp, probably won't happen.

Carter sounds like he should be a very good offensive player, if that is the case then I think there is a fair chance they may move him to the wing short term to get him into the NHL... he shouldn't be getting a job over Roenick, Zeus, and Primeau at center, and I would rather he play first line duty for the Phantoms than hang on the checking line for us... at least for the regular season... let him get big minutes and PP time as much as possible for the JV squad.

Richards sounds like more of a true center than Carter in that he does all the little things well that Hitch loves from his centers. He is good two-way, great in the faceoff circle, and will chip in with points... had better numbers last year than Carter... If he is good enough to go two-way truly then I think he wouldn't be a bad option at the 4th line role since he sounds like a guy who may be given some matchup duty down the road... Madden is proving you don't need to be the biggest guy to play that role. However, I can easily see him being put on the Phantoms as well, and looking for both the next year, or later in the season call ups.

Ruzicka... I like everything I read about this guy, he sounds like a pure scorer off the wing, which everyone knows we desperately need. I'm praying this guy can make the team out of camp, would make up for the loss of Amonte, Leclair, and Rex nicely.

If any of these guys can get on the team, guys like Somik, Sharp, and Fedoruk are going to really be scrapping for playing time... Fedoruk is prolly going to be playing elsewhere soon as a favor from Clarke.

I'm not sure Brash has a place on this team anymore, and I couldn't be happier about that. The guy plays hard, but he doesn't play within himself, which leads to too many turnovers... plus the PIM's he picks up on his rep. When healthy, Roenick and Primeau will drop them when necessary, Stevenson is willing, is Knuble willing as well? He's not definitely not a small guy.

Old
07-29-2004, 06:40 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
This is a more distant look at what I think will happen to the flyers...

Keith Primeau-R.J. Umberger-Michal Handzus-Mike Richards
Simon Gagne-John LeClair-Radovan Somik-Josh Gratton
Mike Knuble-Sami Kapenen-Branko Radivojevic-Turner Stevenson
David Printz-Danny Markov-Marcus Ragnarsson-Eric Desjardins
Mattias Timander-Vladamir Malakov-Kim Johnsson-Joni Pitkanen
Robert Esche-Antero Nittymaki

Alot more rookies, but there is a return to the broad street look that way. Each line would average about 208 pounds with plenty of experience to help it along.

Old
07-29-2004, 07:29 PM
Yertle The Turtle

Send a message via AIM to Yertle The Turtle Send a message via MSN to Yertle The Turtle Send a message via Yahoo to Yertle The Turtle
I dont think Josh Gratton will be getting much ahl time lol

Old
07-29-2004, 08:02 PM
FlyersGuy69

Send a message via AIM to FlyersGuy69
some very interesting rosters. however, I do not think that the Flyers will bring up Carter or Richards to play them at wing. both are centers and should either come up as a center or go back to junior/Phantoms. people think that you can just flip flop a center to winger and vise-versa but in most cases it doesn't work like that. moving them to wing could slow there development, even if they are playing for the Flyers in the NHL.
just my opinion.

Old
07-29-2004, 08:13 PM
blah

Zhamnov needs to be back. Very nice point on Zhamnov and Amonte's friendship Jester. Something I didn't give much though to. Hopefully he does restructure like you said. One thing I don't want to see again is Amonte-Zhamnov-Roenick on the same line again. That is a Western Conference line and after the 1st round it gave the Flyers nothing. If they can't dump Amonte or it becomes a sticking point w/ Zhamnov I guess Knuble-Zhamnov-Amonte would be a possible line combo.

Carter needs to be in the NHL. Zhamnov-Carter-Handzus-Primeau is extremely deep down the middle. I also think Carter should be the 2nd line center. They have enough veteran wings to place around him to put him in a position to succeed. A Gagne-Carter-Roenick line should be able to produce.

Handzus can center a checking line that should be able to score. Handzus-Radivojevic looked like they clicked well last season. I'm not sure who would be the 3rd member of that line. Sharp I guess. FWIW I think this might be Handzus's last season w/ the Flyers. At least one of Richards or Umberger will be ready after next season. I think both will be though. The Flyers are going to be in a predicament w/ roster spots very shortly.

LeClair HAS to be gone. He gives them nothing in the playoffs. The Flyers are a playoff team and that's a 9 million dollar problem. If he's back..egh.

Burke needs to be gone, and Niity needs to be in the NHL. My hope is Hull doesn't go to PHX, they panic b/c their offer was announced and they take Burke and Amonte back. If I was Clarke I would definately be willing to do something like Burke-Amonte for Savage-pick or prospect. Then buy out Savage. If they can't move Amonte, and the lockout doesn't last like 40 games, I guess they'd have to keep him.

Brashear should go if they can find a taker. Eager looks like a beast, with him, Stevenson, and then Fedoruk as an extra man I think Brashear would be expendable. This is Kapanen's last season w/ the Flyers I believe, so I guess Eager gets his shot after this coming season.

Usual suspects on defense. Glad to hear Rico is 100%. It'd be nice if Malakhov is back, but he won't make or break the defense. They need still need a crease-clearing defensemen and he isn't one. I don't see how they'll be able to get one though. Timmander is back as the 7th, and Seidenberg should be ready. Hopefully those lapses we saw in Seids game were a result of rust and not what we can expect from him.
-
What was this moved from the NHL Talk board? Nuclear, next time put "My predictions for the 04-05 Leafs roster" in the subject and it won't get moved. We all know every team in the league is a red-readed stepchild of the Leafs. HF is no different.

Old
07-29-2004, 09:12 PM
Kevin Danko
Web Design

why doesnt anyone want zhamnov next year?

Old
07-29-2004, 09:16 PM
Yertle The Turtle

I want him back... Seems like a good idea now. He has a bad rep not to play hard but since were a playoff contender i think he would be just fine as a first or second line center

Old
07-29-2004, 09:50 PM
FlyersProspect2

Send a message via AIM to FlyersProspect2
I think I'm pretty bad at prediction line ups, but here it goes anyway. I'm going to base things on the way the roster is now, but I'm also going to say LeClair( ), Burke, and Brashear are going to be gone and Amonte will be restructured

Offense:
Gagne-Handzus-Roenick
Knuble-Carter-Amonte
Kapanen-Primeau-Stevenson
Somik-Sharp-Radivojevic
Extra-Fedoruk, Richards(AHL), Ruzicka(AHL)

Might want to switch Knuble and Kapenen; Knuble, Primeau, and Stevenson is one hell of a checking line.
Richards and Ruzicka will get playtime pending on their AHL numbers if their dominating they'll probably be regulars on the Flyers roster at some point(Were suppose to be having a youth movment right?)
He might not see time with the Flyers this year, but I think Ben Eager is going to be playing with the Phantoms or in the ECHL at some point in the season. I think he has a pretty bright future as a possible future LeClair type(Except the high pay and no production)

Defense:
Johnsson-Markov
Pitkanen-Desjardins
Ragnarsson-Seidenberg/Timander
Extra-Seidenberg/Timander
I'm not exactly sure on the pairings, but I'd expect it to look something like this. Depending on his development Pitkanen might see some first line D pairing duties.

Goalies:
Robert Esche
Antero Nittymaki
Extra-Neil Little?
I'm not sure if anyone saw the NHL.com poll but it was Which player is the key to success for Flyers in the 2004-05 season? IMO is has to be Esche. Goaltending has been some what of a weakness for us the past few seasons, and if Esche is the guy that can steal a few games for us, who knows what might happen after the youth has settled in.

Of course it would be good to actually see a season.

Old
07-29-2004, 10:27 PM
Kevin Danko
Web Design

The Key to success will be Zhamnov if given the oppurtunity... does anyone remember how he played during the regular season games he was here? I believe it was something like 18 poitns in 20 games? Put him ona line with Gagne and Radivojovic and watch the oppurtunities.

Old
07-29-2004, 10:57 PM
flyersrock1

Gagne(make or break year)/Roenick/Free agent

Richards or Umberger (choices are good)/ Handzus/Knuble

Sami/Keith/Stevenson Hey one set line

Eager or Fedoruk/ Sharp OR I hope Richards/ Radivojevic (His best will be this year)

Kenny/Eric

Pitkanen/Rag

Markov/Seidenberg or free agent

Esche
Kevin Weekes (hehe) Would be a great signing and cheap

Closed Thread