HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Drew MacIntyre

Old
07-20-2011, 06:39 PM
Steve Shutt
Don't Poke the Bear

vCash: 500
Drew MacIntyre

Any idea why Montreal didn't resign him after a great playoff run with the Dogs. We basically got nothing back from the Lapierre trade as a result:

Lapierre --> Brett Festerling --> Drew MacIntyre --> Zilch

Just noticed that he signed with the Sabres on July 15th

• G Drew MacIntyre signed a one-year, $525,000 deal with the Sabres to provide insurance in the crease. The 28-year-old has spent the last eight seasons in the minor leagues, with a save percentage above .920 in four of the last five. He has just two NHL career starts but could push rookie G Jhonas Enroth for time behind G Ryan Miller.

Steve Shutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 06:40 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Shutt View Post
Any idea why Montreal didn't resign him after a great playoff run with the Dogs. We basically got nothing back from the Lapierre trade as a result:

• G Drew MacIntyre signed a one-year, $525,000 deal with the Sabres to provide insurance in the crease. The 28-year-old has spent the last eight seasons in the minor leagues, with a save percentage above .920 in four of the last five. He has just two NHL career starts but could push rookie G Jhonas Enroth for time behind G Ryan Miller.
Pretty much sums up Lapierre's value

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 06:45 PM
Mag1328

MacIntyre - and Sanford to a certain extent - didn't like the fact that they were never considered by Gauthier as candidates for the #2 job behind Price. MacIntyre explained he wanted some kind of shot at it, or at least feel that Montreal could be in the horizon at some point. It wasn't the case so they both left for greener pastures...

Mag1328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 06:47 PM
overlords
#BargainBanned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mag1328 View Post
MacIntyre - and Sanford to a certain extent - didn't like the fact that they were never considered by Gauthier as candidates for the #2 job behind Price. MacIntyre explained he wanted some kind of shot at it, or at least feel that Montreal could be in the horizon at some point. It wasn't the case so they both left for greener pastures...
I don't see why Macyntire wouldn't have a shot at the #2 if he tore it up in the AHL and Budaj faltered. Odd.

overlords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 06:50 PM
habsprospects
Irresponsible User

http://www.thespec.com/sports/bulldo...-to-nhl-dreams

Quote:
Drew MacIntyre has signed a deal with the Buffalo Sabres; he'll be fighting for a spot as Ryan Miller's backup.

The 28-year-old says Montreal offered him the chance to come back to its farm team in Hamilton but his goal is to get to the NHL. When the Habs signed Peter Budaj as a free agent to back up Carey Price on the big club for two years at $2.3 million, he knew his chance wouldn't come in the Hab’s system.

"I was pretty frustrated with that signing," he said from his home in PEI.

habsprospects is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 06:53 PM
Steve Shutt
Don't Poke the Bear

I guess he figures he has a better chance of beating out Enroth than Budaj, In either case Miller and Price will be getting 50-70 starts

Old
07-20-2011, 07:00 PM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarfangor View Post
okay? Lapierre was huge for the Canucks...

Bad Natey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 07:01 PM
kassian
Emelin's face plate

I think he could've outplayed Budaj easily. Guy's still young and was a wall with the Bulldogs. Budaj is a total scrub. We could've given a chance to MacIntyre in the pre-season to see whether he has what it takes and then sign a goalie in the 800k-1.2m range from the FA if he wouldn't perform well (I honestly think there are still better options than Budaj out there).

kassian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 07:21 PM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodson Hoggs View Post
I think he could've outplayed Budaj easily. Guy's still young and was a wall with the Bulldogs. Budaj is a total scrub. We could've given a chance to MacIntyre in the pre-season to see whether he has what it takes and then sign a goalie in the 800k-1.2m range from the FA if he wouldn't perform well (I honestly think there are still better options than Budaj out there).
Budaj was a #1 at some point in his career.. Not a great one, but he was a starter. That's alot more than MacIntyre.. But yet, Budaj is the scrub. Nice one buddy!

bcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 07:23 PM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
I think you are overstating his value. Sure he did not hinder the Canucks and was an asset in some games but he was not huge.

As for the OP, you don't sign or not sign a player based on it causing a previous trade to become "zilch" as you put it. And as mentioned he offered to come back but wanted a shot at the NHL which didn't look like he was going to get it here any time soon. At least not a real shot.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 07:28 PM
nyhabsfan
Waiting for #25.....

I can't believe with the lack of goaltending depth in our organization we didn't give this guy who has a save percentage of .920 for the last FOUR years and by all accounts looked terrific saving the Bulldogs season when Stanford went down with an injury. At the very least PG should have signed this guy to a two way deal and let him push Budaj for the backup job before he just handed to him.

PG fell asleep on this one!!!

nyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 07:47 PM
Booba
Bouger les pieds

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsprospects View Post
http://www.thespec.com/sports/bulldo...-to-nhl-dreams

Drew MacIntyre has signed a deal with the Buffalo Sabres; he'll be fighting for a spot as Ryan Miller's backup.

The 28-year-old says Montreal offered him the chance to come back to its farm team in Hamilton but his goal is to get to the NHL. When the Habs signed Peter Budaj as a free agent to back up Carey Price on the big club for two years at $2.3 million, he knew his chance wouldn't come in the Hab’s system.

"I was pretty frustrated with that signing," he said from his home in PEI.
I believe that he has more chance to be fighting for the number one spot in Portland with David Leggio than the backup's spot in Buffalo.

I think that Enroth is a lot better than Budaj. I mean would Buffalo trade Enroth for Budaj...I think the answer is pretty obvious.

However, he might have more chance to play in the NHL in Buffalo than in Montreal. Miller is injury prone and Enroth missed some time last year.

Also, it's rare to see a team signing a guy that was playing in another team's affiliate and bringing him as the backup. Columbus are going to try to experience this year with Dekanich. I think the last time, it happened was when Nashville signed Dan Ellis, who was playing in Dallas' farm team.

Booba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 08:22 PM
Steve Shutt
Don't Poke the Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
As for the OP, you don't sign or not sign a player based on it causing a previous trade to become "zilch" as you put it. And as mentioned he offered to come back but wanted a shot at the NHL which didn't look like he was going to get it here any time soon. At least not a real shot.
Just seemed odd that Montreal would trade for a player, have him play very well, and let him walk away. I understand the situation a lot better after someone posted that MacIntyre was hoping for more than AHL starts and was frustrated after the Habs acquired Budaj.

Old
07-20-2011, 08:26 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Huge? He was okay, but definitely not "huge".

Also if he was so Huge Anaheim shouldn't have traded him, but then again traded twice in 1 season, its kind of an indication to clean up your act, do as your told and get your **** together.

Lapierre had no choice but to be "Huge" as you say it for the Canucks, he was not doing well in MTL, nor in Anaheim, 3rd times a charm.

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 08:30 PM
PKtrollban
PK for Norris

Quote:
Huge? He was okay, but definitely not "huge".

Also if he was so Huge Anaheim shouldn't have traded him, but then again traded twice in 1 season, its kind of an indication to clean up your act, do as your told and get your **** together.

Lapierre had no choice but to be "Huge" as you say it for the Canucks, he was not doing well in MTL, nor in Anaheim, 3rd times a charm.
Moen is one lucky bounce to become HUGE for the Habs.

PKtrollban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 09:49 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyhabsfan View Post
I can't believe with the lack of goaltending depth in our organization we didn't give this guy who has a save percentage of .920 for the last FOUR years and by all accounts looked terrific saving the Bulldogs season when Stanford went down with an injury. At the very least PG should have signed this guy to a two way deal and let him push Budaj for the backup job before he just handed to him.

Did PG fall asleep, or did four different organizations all fail to see something in MacIntyre to make him worth holding onto when he was posting those .920 save percentages? Usually when a guy bounces around like that despite putting up what appear to be solid numbers, there's a reason.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 10:54 PM
Captain Saku

Quote:
really?

actually Lapierre is exactly what we're missing now... a right handed 4th line center with physical presence!

Letting Lapierre go was the most idiotic decision made by Gauthier as the GM of the Montreal Canadiens.

Captain Saku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 11:04 PM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Saku View Post
really?

actually Lapierre is exactly what we're missing now... a right handed 4th line center with physical presence!

Letting Lapierre go was the most idiotic decision made by Gauthier as the GM of the Montreal Canadiens.
If that's the most idiotic decision he's made, he's not that bad.

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 11:17 PM
Peter Puck

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyhabsfan View Post

Huh? It sounds like MacIntyre left because he was unhappy we signed Budaj. Would we have more goaltending depth if PG had passed up on Budaj in order to keep MacIntyre?

Peter Puck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 11:19 PM
znk

Quote:
really?

Lapierre asked to be moved and he's not exactly what we are missing.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2011, 07:59 AM
neofury*

Talk about overvaluing Lapierre. Some may even say his antics are part of what fueled Boston to play so well. I wouldn't go that far and say he was huge for them. He was a quality player for the role he played but beyond that he wasn't even as good as Habs playoff Lapierre.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2011, 08:18 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Shutt View Post

He wanted a better chance to crack the NHL roster, here he would have been the clear #3 after Price and Budaj. Lawson is about on par, not sure why he needs his own thread?

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2011, 08:22 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
really?

So letting go a guy who put up 9 points in 65 regular season and playoff games after leaving was a huge mistake?

Wait while I regain my composure. I have no problem with Lapierre as #4 center, but he wasn't happy with that role. We can find more skilled option on the 3rd line(Eller AK Desharnais etc).

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2011, 11:51 AM
Pleky Roks

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsprospects View Post

I don't blame him for being disappointed. I think he deserved a shot at being Price's backup. But maybe he'll be able to backup Miller in Buffalo.

Either way....all the best to Drew!! Good luck!!

Pleky Roks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2011, 01:30 PM
hotcarle

Quote:
Well, the Canucks gave a 3rd round pick for Lapierre, so he was worth something. At the end of the day, the Ducks have a 3rd and we're left with nothing. Not great asset management.

Last edited by hotcarle: 07-21-2011 at 01:31 PM. Reason: spellingz
hotcarle is offline   Reply With Quote