HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around The NHL Part XVII (Dog Days of Summer)

Closed Thread

Old
08-18-2011, 06:54 PM
PacManNJD
Let's get clever.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Would you care to explain to me why Marty still had a better GAA and only three fewer wins than Hiller this past season despite being plauged by two separate injury spells and getting off to an atrocious start?

Old
08-18-2011, 07:03 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacmanghostx View Post
Would you care to explain to me why Marty still had a better GAA and only three fewer wins than Hiller this past season despite being plauged by two separate injury spells and getting off to an atrocious start?
Hiller was also 'plauged by injuries', in fact he felt lightheaded during parts of the year. GAA is a useless stat, look at their respective save percentages. Hiller is much better than Brodeur.

Hiller got my respect after this:

Old
08-18-2011, 07:05 PM
bobbyt91
plz quote cuz bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacmanghostx View Post
Marty is a good tender but so was Turco and I hate to say it but this year may be the year that Marty calls it quits. Wow I forgot about the Devils having to give up their 1st rounder

Old
08-18-2011, 07:09 PM
PacManNJD
Let's get clever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyt911 View Post
Marty is a good tender but so was Turco and I hate to say it but this year may be the year that Marty calls it quits. Wow I forgot about the Devils having to give up their 1st rounder

Old
08-18-2011, 07:10 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Why do Debs fans always come to this board whenever we even mention their team?

Old
08-18-2011, 07:16 PM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Why do Debs fans always come to this board whenever we even mention their team?
Because 90% of the people talking about them say nonsensical things?

Old
08-18-2011, 07:17 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruckus View Post
Because 90% of the people talking about them say nonsensical things?
Nonsensical things? It's perfectly viable to think they won't make the playoffs.

And you didn't see Rangers fans going there in droves whenever they would talk about Queen Lundpads, talk about nonsensical things.

Old
08-18-2011, 07:22 PM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Nonsensical things? It's perfectly viable to think they won't make the playoffs.

And you didn't see Rangers fans going there in droves whenever they would talk about Queen Lundpads, talk about nonsensical things.
The Lundqvist pads thing is equivalent to us referring to Marty as Uncle Daddy.

I know there actually are Devils fans who believe the stuff about Hanks pads....but I'd like to think that real human beings aren't dumb enough to consistently use that as a valid excuse.

I don't think assuming they'll miss the playoffs is nonsensical. It's the rationale that most seem to have for it.

Most of the posts I've read about the Devils in here during the offseason are from posters who obviously have zero idea about any of their young players, think that Brodeur is completely incapable of having a good season (I think he's gotten worse and worse as well, but it's not like it would shock me if he had a solid season), and have no sense of memory when it comes to the entire organization over the years.

Old
08-18-2011, 07:26 PM
bobbyt91
plz quote cuz bored

Quote:
The Lundqvist pads thing is equivalent to us referring to Marty as Uncle Daddy.

I know there actually are Devils fans who believe the stuff about Hanks pads....but I'd like to think that real human beings aren't dumb enough to consistently use that as a valid excuse.

I don't think assuming they'll miss the playoffs is nonsensical. It's the rationale that most seem to have for it.

Most of the posts I've read about the Devils in here during the offseason are from posters who obviously have zero idea about any of their young players, think that Brodeur is completely incapable of having a good season (I think he's gotten worse and worse as well, but it's not like it would shock me if he had a solid season), and have no sense of memory when it comes to the entire organization over the years.
I HATE when posters say that. So because NJ had good years in the past automatically makes them good right?? If that was the case the Leafs and Habs would finish 1-2 every year.

Old
08-18-2011, 07:33 PM
ruckus*

Quote:
I HATE when posters say that. So because NJ had good years in the past automatically makes them good right?? If that was the case the Leafs and Habs would finish 1-2 every year.
No it doesn't. But it makes more sense then going individually through their lineup and trying to explain why you think they won't be good.

The Devils have proven over the past decade that it's not about individual play. They've consistently won around an organizational philosophy and team approach.

At what point has that changed bobby? Because last year they got off to a horrible start behind a coach that should've never been behind an NHL bench?

Because in the crapshoot that is the post season they haven't advance far in recent years?

I'll take my opinion of their consistency over the past decade and a half.

Old
08-18-2011, 07:39 PM
Kershaw

Lou has been very mediocre with the salary cap era. He is all reputation.

Old
08-18-2011, 07:44 PM
ecemleafs

Zajac is injured?

Old
08-18-2011, 07:53 PM
beastly115

Quote:
No it doesn't. But it makes more sense then going individually through their lineup and trying to explain why you think they won't be good.

The Devils have proven over the past decade that it's not about individual play. They've consistently won around an organizational philosophy and team approach.

At what point has that changed bobby? Because last year they got off to a horrible start behind a coach that should've never been behind an NHL bench?

Because in the crapshoot that is the post season they haven't advance far in recent years?

The Devils post lockout are very different from the pre lockout Devils. Why that is, who knows? But they've had just as much success as we have the past 5 years. Your sum of all parts argument doesnt seem to apply to the Devils teams post lockout.

Old
08-18-2011, 07:58 PM
bobbyt91
plz quote cuz bored

Quote:

Sum of their parts is true they sucked bad so they had to play a pitiful style of hockey called the trap. I guess that's just how Lou rolls. Most GM's will say that they won't bring them selves to that level but for Lou hey He'll cheat and play what ever style he needs to. The man has no honor

Old
08-18-2011, 08:01 PM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
Nylander got a tryout with Philly. Reunion with Jagr?

Old
08-18-2011, 08:08 PM
Swept In Seven
Disciple of The Zook

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR94 View Post
Nylander got a tryout with Philly. Reunion with Jagr?
I am sure that is a big reason for the invite

Old
08-18-2011, 08:10 PM
DrSutton*
Given Up

The devils aren't a playoff team this year

Old
08-18-2011, 08:11 PM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Lou has been very mediocre with the salary cap era. He is all reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaQUp View Post
The Devils post lockout are very different from the pre lockout Devils. Why that is, who knows? But they've had just as much success as we have the past 5 years. Your sum of all parts argument doesnt seem to apply to the Devils teams post lockout.
6 Seasons since lockout....4 Division championships.....1 second place finish...and last year.

Seriously guys? I hate the Devils more than anyone. But Seriously?

Quote:
Sum of their parts is true they sucked bad so they had to play a pitiful style of hockey called the trap. I guess that's just how Lou rolls. Most GM's will say that they won't bring them selves to that level but for Lou hey He'll cheat and play what ever style he needs to. The man has no honor

The trap is cheating? So every team in the NHL cheats I guess? Did you really just equate a man having no honor to playing the trap?

And I get called out for saying people are nonsensical on the topic of the Devils. Ha.

Old
08-18-2011, 08:17 PM
azrok22

Quote:
6 Seasons since lockout....4 Division championships.....1 second place finish...and last year.

The trap is cheating? So every team in the NHL cheats I guess? Did you really just equate a man having no honor to playing the trap?

And I get called out for saying people are nonsensical on the topic of the Devils. Ha.
I tend to agree with what you're saying, but trumpeting the glory of division championships while omitting the relevant prize, playoff performance, is a bit disingenuous.

Old
08-18-2011, 08:25 PM
Swept In Seven
Disciple of The Zook

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
I tend to agree with what you're saying, but trumpeting the glory of division championships while omitting the relevant prize, playoff performance, is a bit disingenuous.
Agreed. Division Championships are great and all, but they do not mean a whole lot if you can not get it done in the postseason

Old
08-18-2011, 08:26 PM
beastly115

Quote:

I guess our definition of success differs. I measure it in terms of playoff success. If you're content with division titles with little playoff success, more power to you. We'll agree to disagree.

Old
08-18-2011, 08:27 PM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
I won't omit it.

Personally, I just put more stock in consistency over the course of 82 games than I do a 7 game playoff series.

It's one of the reasons I'm an advocate of always trying to make the playoffs no matter what.

They've still gone to two Conference Semi-Finals since the lockout, and one of those series lost 3 games by one goal.

Sometimes I think that people hold the Devils recent playoff performance against them because they're the Devils.

There are few and far between when it comes to number of teams that have been as successful as them.

If people think they're failures since the lockout because of their playoff performance, it only further emphasizes just how solid of a franchise they are.

They've set the bar high for themselves.

Old
08-18-2011, 08:29 PM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaQUp View Post
I guess our definition of success differs. I measure it in terms of playoff success. If you're content with division titles with little playoff success, more power to you. We'll agree to disagree.
82 games > 7 games.

I'm not negating the importance of the playoffs, but to disregard the 82 and only acknowledge the 7 is naive.

Sample size is a much better indicator. Especially in post season hockey when one bounce of the puck can win or lose a game for you.

Old
08-18-2011, 08:31 PM
Muh
Beadle

Damnn, just saw the Zajac injury. Big blow for the Devils. Anyone hear a return date?

Old
08-18-2011, 08:33 PM
bobbyt91
plz quote cuz bored

Quote:
I won't omit it.

Personally, I just put more stock in consistency over the course of 82 games than I do a 7 game playoff series.

It's one of the reasons I'm an advocate of always trying to make the playoffs no matter what.

They've still gone to two Conference Semi-Finals since the lockout, and one of those series lost 3 games by one goal.

Sometimes I think that people hold the Devils recent playoff performance against them because they're the Devils.

There are few and far between when it comes to number of teams that have been successful of them.

If people think they're failures since the lockout because of their playoff performance, it only further emphasizes just how solid of a franchise they are.

They've set the bar high for themselves.
Obviously the trap isn't cheating but usually the unskilled teams play the trap. Like I said most teams don't like it because its (If your familiar with Poker tourney's then you'll get this analogy) like folding every hand in a last man in tourney just to get in the money. Sure you will get the job done but its a dou*he bag thing to do and that's what the trap is to me, yup the trap is the douch* bag's way to play hockey. The NHL took out the red line to try and get rid of the trap, it seems to me that Lou is always trying to find a way to sleaze ball his way around the rules.

Closed Thread