HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around The NHL Part XVII (Dog Days of Summer)

Closed Thread

Old
08-01-2011, 11:59 AM
NYR Viper

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
Sound the alarms, the Devils are in serious trouble. How are they going to pay Kovalchuk $11m next year ($5m more than this year), AND pay Parise $12m or whatever he's going to get in 2012-2013 salary.
They also have to pay Brodeur and get a back-up.

The year after they have to re-sign/replace:

Elias
Zajac
Zubrus
Clarkson

Old
08-01-2011, 12:02 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Sent: Aug 1, 2011 12:50p

Lamoriello said the decision to buy out both players was budgetary and because of depth of young players on D and at RW.

sent via TweetDeck
On Twitter: http://twitter.com/TGfireandice/stat...73015400660992

Debbies are now a budget team. Lou tried to dump the White contract but couldn't find any takers. Why claim him on waivers when you can negotiate with him later this week for a deal on your terms?

Old
08-01-2011, 12:04 PM
Black Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
Sound the alarms, the Devils are in serious trouble. How are they going to pay Kovalchuk $11m next year ($5m more than this year), AND pay Parise $12m or whatever he's going to get in 2012-2013 salary.
By selling the team and moving it. I'm looking forward to watching the Kansas City Drylanders take on the Quebec City Ice Devils. (though I would genuinely be sad to see the Isles leave).

Old
08-01-2011, 12:10 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
I called it when he was an UFA.....Volchenkov is Jay McKee Part II. The guy is a great defensive defenseman, but he can't stay healthy and as he gets older, it will only get worse. See Chris Drury as the forward version.
Yes, I wasn't big on Volchenkov last year because he gets injured a lot and while he blocks a ton of shots, that's probably a major factor in his injuries.

Kind of the same thing with Callahan really, but I hope Callahan can mange to find a way to stay healthy and stop breaking things

Devils with a lot of cap space now is slightly disconcerting but I'm not sure they'll be able to do much with it at this point unless they want to offer so much to a team like Nashville or LA that they'd essentially gut their team.

Or maybe they'll get Bouwmeester from Calgary

Old
08-01-2011, 12:12 PM
beastly115

LOL.

Kovalchuk contract already biting them in the ass. Didn't expect that so soon into a 20 year deal.

Colin White was a decent d-man for them. They were already thin as it is.

And this does not bode well for trying to re-sign Parise long term.

And the proverbial toilet continues to swirl in NJ.

Old
08-01-2011, 12:13 PM
Swept In Seven
Disciple of The Zook

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaQUp View Post
LOL.

Kovalchuk contract already biting them in the ass. Didn't expect that so soon into a 20 year deal.

Do not worry about Lou's cap

Old
08-01-2011, 12:40 PM
NyRangers88
Section 208 Row 15

Send a message via AIM to NyRangers88
"If we don't have enough of our own fans to save the team that's sad, I'd rather lose the team than have Rag$ fans save it....Good day sir"

From an Islander fan after I voted YES and wished them luck for the vote today on their boards.

08-01-2011, 12:45 PM
Echoes of 1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers88 View Post
"If we don't have enough of our own fans to save the team that's sad, I'd rather lose the team than have Rag$ fans save it....Good day sir"

From an Islander fan after I voted YES and wished them luck for the vote today on their boards.
Please ignore that sentiment. Most of us Isles fans appreciate all your support, and thanks for coming out for us today!

Old
08-01-2011, 12:52 PM
TrollololBoyle

Quote:
LOL.

+/- 8 roster casualties in the remaining years of his contract

Old
08-01-2011, 01:12 PM
Swept In Seven
Disciple of The Zook

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukSOGoal View Post
I am going to say +. there has been like 3 already

Old
08-01-2011, 01:40 PM
beastly115

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukSOGoal View Post
Over for sure. The best casualty will be next season when Parise walks for nothing.

To us.

Old
08-01-2011, 02:04 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

If Parise resigns the Kovalchuk contract is one of the best things the Debs have done.

Who gives a crap if they're losing guys like Rolston when Kovalchuk in the worst year of his career still scored 31 goals for a 6. whatever million dollar cap hit?

You guys are way overblowing how "bad" the Kovy contract is. If he scored his usual 80+ points and Parise wasn't injured last season we'd all be singing a different tune, probably.

Old
08-01-2011, 02:09 PM
Swept In Seven
Disciple of The Zook

It has hamstringed their franchise terribly.

Old
08-01-2011, 02:14 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJBergy86 View Post
It has hamstringed their franchise terribly.
Not really. What's happening now is the fallout of the other horrible contracts Lou Lams has given out. Having an elite goalscorer like Kovalchuk signed for 6.x (i keep forgetting the right term, is it 6.5?) is hardly a hamstring, though it could be if Parise leaves because of it. Colin White for 3 million? THAT'S the kind of stuff that are making the Debs a fringe playoff team.

Old
08-01-2011, 02:28 PM
DrSutton*
Given Up

If the devils truly are a budget team now then it has hamstrung them. Kovalchuk is due 12 million next year in real dollars. If they say sign parise to a similar cash rich deal (and he would get nothing less) how are they going to ice a competent team around them? They couldn't even ice a full roster at a point last year. And if Parise hired Newport sports, expect them to get this man paid in a dog and pony show that will make Brad's look like it didn't even happen.

Plus, other than preseason, did they ever REALLY play well together? They can't even play on the same line since Kovalchuk can't (or won't) play RW.

I think people don't like to coun out the devils as some kind of precautionary measure, but if they've proven anything since the lockout it's that they can't find any of the success that they once had and don't know how to build teams post-lockout.

I counted them out last year. I'll be doing the same again.

Old
08-01-2011, 03:01 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes of 1980 View Post
Please ignore that sentiment. Most of us Isles fans appreciate all your support, and thanks for coming out for us today!
I will try and get over there to vote. I know my dad is going to. Were both diehard rangers fans. We live 10 min from the Coliseum, cheap tickets to take in a hockey game. From just a hockey fans standpoint, I dont want to lose that option if I want to take in a hockey game.

Old
08-01-2011, 03:12 PM
azrok22

vCash: 3743
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSutton View Post
If the devils truly are a budget team now then it has hamstrung them. Kovalchuk is due 12 million next year in real dollars. If they say sign parise to a similar cash rich deal (and he would get nothing less) how are they going to ice a competent team around them? They couldn't even ice a full roster at a point last year. And if Parise hired Newport sports, expect them to get this man paid in a dog and pony show that will make Brad's look like it didn't even happen.

Plus, other than preseason, did they ever REALLY play well together? They can't even play on the same line since Kovalchuk can't (or won't) play RW.

I think people don't like to coun out the devils as some kind of precautionary measure, but if they've proven anything since the lockout it's that they can't find any of the success that they once had and don't know how to build teams post-lockout.

I counted them out last year. I'll be doing the same again.
This is really the pivotal factor.

If the Devils are not a budget team, and will be spending well above the salary cap, the Kovalchuk contract is great (ignoring the pieces they had to give up to get him/that contract), because he's well worth the $6.67m cap hit.

However, if the Devils operate at a budget, even if that budget is the salary cap, the Kovalchuk contract is atrocious, because they will be spending $11m of that budget on him.

Old
08-01-2011, 03:16 PM
Leetch3

$6.6 mil for a superstar doesn't hamstring anything...its the other terrible deals they gave out and giving out NMC like its candy to average players that killed them. kovalchuk's deal hamstrings them like brad richard's deal hamstrings us. if he doesn't play like a superstar it hurts. and if he doesn't retire it could kill you on the tail end of things...but for right now its a great deal.

i'd take kovalchuk at $6.66 mil over gaborik at $7.5 mil anyday

Old
08-01-2011, 03:30 PM
azrok22

vCash: 3743
Quote:
Originally Posted by CM PUNK View Post
$6.6 mil for a superstar doesn't hamstring anything...its the other terrible deals they gave out and giving out NMC like its candy to average players that killed them. kovalchuk's deal hamstrings them like brad richard's deal hamstrings us. if he doesn't play like a superstar it hurts. and if he doesn't retire it could kill you on the tail end of things...but for right now its a great deal.

But would you take Kovalchuk's $11m salary over Gaborik's $7.5m salary in 2012-2013 if your team was on a budget?

Old
08-01-2011, 03:32 PM
DrSutton*
Given Up

Quote:

Forget his cap hit, it's irrelevant in this discussion. Real dollars are what are important here. Teams who are budget teams can't afford to pay one player 12 million in real dollars and then expect to ice a competitive line up.

Old
08-01-2011, 03:38 PM
Leetch3

well lou is stupid if he didn't account for that LOL

Old
08-01-2011, 03:47 PM
broadwayblue

Long Islanders Votes On Whether To Spend $400 Million On New Hockey Arena

Voters in Nassau County have the chance to cast a ballot on whether $400 million in taxpayer money should go towards building a new arena to replace the aging Nassau Coliseum. Islanders owner Charles Wang, who has been begging and pleading for some help for years, even threatening to take the team to Queens, told reporters, "I vote ‘yes’ of course. It’s an opportunity to do something and start the process of rebuilding Long Island." However, in this depressed economy, some people are against rebuilding anythig.
A 63-year-old resident told Newsday he voted no, "The county can do a whole lot more with the $400 million than build a new arena. Taxes are destroying us and we're going to waste it on a hockey team?" as another 63-year-old said, "Our taxes are high enough. It's not a necessity. The Islanders should pay for it themselves. They have enough money ... I'm living on a fixed income. Anything's too much." Many argue that Wang is rich enough to fund the project himself.

On the other hand, a 38-year-old Islander fan voted yes as did a 20-year-old Rangers fan who explained he "was voting in favor and could live with the 'small' increase in property taxes required to build the new arena." Some lawmakers are in favor of new arena, what with the construction jobs it would bring in.

Newsday reports that some say the turnout for the measure has been "abysmally low."

Old
08-01-2011, 07:48 PM
we want cup
Ants in the Pants

I would guess that a low turnout would favor the Islanders more than a high one would. You know Islander fans Nassau all came out to vote, so they have to be hoping that people with don't care about hockey just couldn't be bothered.

RANGERS =
Old
08-01-2011, 08:39 PM
beastly115

Quote:

Who cares about the cap hit? Next year, Kovalchuk will be paid 11M in real dollars. If they re-sign Parise, he'll want probably 10M in real dollars his first year. That's 21M on 2 players. If their budget is at the cap (64M is it now?) that's 1/3 of their budget spent on 2 players.

They will have a very hard time paying Parise what he wants without gutting the rest of the team which is probably what we're seeing now.

Old
08-01-2011, 09:18 PM
mike14

Quote:
Who cares about the cap hit? Next year, Kovalchuk will be paid 11M in real dollars. If they re-sign Parise, he'll want probably 10M in real dollars his first year. That's 21M on 2 players. If their budget is at the cap (64M is it now?) that's 1/3 of their budget spent on 2 players.

They will have a very hard time paying Parise what he wants without gutting the rest of the team which is probably what we're seeing now.
While this maya be true, are there many teams out there that will be able to afford what he supposedly wants (either in cash or cap-hit).

Assuming there is, I don't think the Rangers have much of a shot of getting him, however assuming there is a team willing/able to spend big on him, the rangers should look very hard at making a deal with said team for any 'salary dump' they would need to fit him in.

Closed Thread