HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Where Do We End Up In The West Standings?

View Poll Results: Where Do We End Up In The West Standings?
1 2 2.78%
2 13 18.06%
3 23 31.94%
4 16 22.22%
5 12 16.67%
6 4 5.56%
7 0 0%
8 1 1.39%
9 or below 1 1.39%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-22-2011, 11:42 AM
LandofLincoln

vCash: 500
I don't think the top team will come from the central because that is the most difficult division in the Western Conference Colombus, Nashville, Chicago & Detroit all appear to be playoff teams. St. Louis has grit and they are a pain to play against. No easy wins in our division. We will send the most teams to the playoffs in the NHL I'm guessing 4...

So that said I think we will be best in the division and better than S.J Sharks but I think the Sharks will have a better record.

1. LA
2. SJ
3. Chicago
4. Vancouver
5. Detroit

LandofLincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 11:48 AM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LandofLincoln View Post
I don't think the top team will come from the central because that is the most difficult division in the Western Conference Colombus, Nashville, Chicago & Detroit all appear to be playoff teams. St. Louis has grit and they are a pain to play against. No easy wins in our division. We will send the most teams to the playoffs in the NHL I'm guessing 4...

So that said I think we will be best in the division and better than S.J Sharks but I think the Sharks will have a better record.

1. LA
2. SJ
3. Chicago
4. Vancouver
5. Detroit
Agreed that we have the toughest division. I still think CBJ will be a whipping post for the Hawks due to their style.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 11:54 AM
Sarava

I agree with most here. I'll go with third. And while saying that, I think the Hawks are the best in the west and will win the cup. But our division is brutal and we will likely see San Jose and Vancouver take the 1-2 spots due to far easier schedules.

Sarava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 11:57 AM
LandofLincoln

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarava View Post
I agree with most here. I'll go with third. And while saying that, I think the Hawks are the best in the west and will win the cup. But our division is brutal and we will likely see San Jose and Vancouver take the 1-2 spots due to far easier schedules.
Vancouver could finish with a better record but I think we are better agree.

LandofLincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 11:58 AM
Sarava

Quote:
Yeah they get to tee off on Edmonton, Calgary, Colorado and Minnesota all year. Plus the Sedins are regular season warriors

Old
07-22-2011, 12:02 PM
committedindian86
Flip The Switch

I see the Hawks ending anywhere from 2nd to 5th, depending on how our division stacks up. Vancouver should be the top seed again cause that division is terrible. It all comes down to whether the hawks beat out the wings for the division crown, I also think Nashville will be a little down this year. They lost forward depth while the Hawks got deeper in the bottom 6. The Central is much stronger this season with Columbus and St. Louis adding depth as well. I'd probably expect the Central winner to finish with the 3 seed, possibly not even at 100 pts.

committedindian86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 12:26 PM
DayNah
Ship it donk!

My guess is 5th.

DayNah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 01:29 PM
Cullksinikers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Preds will also have improving Wilson/Blum in lineup + a full year of Mike Fisher

They have a great D already + A great goalie duo and there lineup can play 2 way and roll 4 lines and they have great coaching

I think this year they take division
Leddy, Smith, Bickell, Crawford, and Frolik are still improving. We will potentially get a full year of those guys. It also sounds like Kane is aiming to step his game up a notch Our forward group is light years ahead of theirs. Our defense is easily comparable with theirs. Comparing the pairings of Weber/Suter and Keith/Seabrook is very close, but then you have Blum being expected to step up just like Leddy. Lebda isn't comparable to guys like Montador, Lepisto, and O'Donnell. Plus, Bouillon just had a setback in his recovery from his concussion. I think Hjalmarsson, even though he could imrove his offense/hesitancy We don't know when this guy will see the ice again. They basically have six defensemen right now while we have seven. That's banking on Bouilon, with concussion symptoms who canceled his workout program, being ready for the start of the 2011-12 campaign. Plus, we don't have an epically horrible defenseman like Lebda in our group. Now, I can't deny that Rinne is a fantastic goalie. Both their goalies are better than ours. Until I see Salak play, Lindback has proven more. Rinne will probably gear for a Vezina, but Crawford will still be a good goalie this year. Unlike Rinne and Lindback, Crawford and Salak also have an offense to help them out.

Goaltending:

Rinne
Lindback

----------------

Crawford
Salak

Edge: Predators

Defense:

Weber-Suter
Blum-Klein
Bouilon to start?-Lebda
Competition

----------------

Keith-Seabrook
Hjalmarsson-Leddy
Montador-Lepisto
O'Donelll

Edge: Blackhawks

Forwards

Erat-Legwand-Fisher
Hornqvist-Kostitsyn-Wilson
Tootoo-Geoffrion-O'Reilly
Spaling-Smithson-Halischuk
Bergfors

----------------

Bickell-Toews-Kane
Brunette-Sharp-Hossa
Smith-Bolland-Frolik
Carcillo-Kruger-Mayers
Stalberg-Olesz

Edge: Blackhawks

Cullksinikers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 01:33 PM
coldsteelonice84

BWC, that's a pretty bold statement that the Preds will win the division. I wouldn't be shocked if they missed the playoffs, although I expect them to be in the 6-8 range. It's just so wide open this year, anything can happen.

Old
07-22-2011, 01:35 PM
Sarava

The Hawks will win the division. I'll be shocked if they don't. I just don't know that they will top the regular season point totals of Vancouver or San Jose.

Old
07-22-2011, 01:41 PM
MadhouseOnMadison
Man crush on Amonte

Anything less than 5th place will be a disappointment imo.

MadhouseOnMadison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 01:45 PM
Cullksinikers

Quote:
The Hawks will win the division. I'll be shocked if they don't. I just don't know that they will top the regular season point totals of Vancouver or San Jose.
A division is in reach. Look at my breakdown of Nashville compared to us and Detroit's offseason compared to ours. I think they are a comparable team to San Jose and Vancouver, but they won't get as many points. The Northwest is terrible and the Pacific overall is less competitive than the Central.

Standings-wise:

1. VAN
2. SJ
3. CHI

Old
07-22-2011, 01:56 PM
Sarava

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cullksinikers View Post
A division is in reach. Look at my breakdown of Nashville compared to us and Detroit's offseason compared to ours. I think they are a comparable team to San Jose and Vancouver, but they won't get as many points. The Northwest is terrible and the Pacific overall is less competitive than the Central.

Standings-wise:

1. VAN
2. SJ
3. CHI
That's exactly how I see it, and when the playopffs come around, good luck to Vancouver and San Jose because they will need it. At this stage in July..where I know opinions mean next to nothing, but anyway, I'm more concerned with some teams from the east than Vancouver or San Jose in the playoffs.

Old
07-22-2011, 02:06 PM
Cullksinikers

Quote:
That's exactly how I see it, and when the playopffs come around, good luck to Vancouver and San Jose because they will need it. At this stage in July..where I know opinions mean next to nothing, but anyway, I'm more concerned with some teams from the east than Vancouver or San Jose in the playoffs.
I would also agree with that. Boston and Pittsburgh will be extremely good. Boston just won the Cup and are about the same team. They are elite. Pittsburgh needs to have Malkin and Crosby healthy to be elite. What happened last year can't happen again if they want to make a serious run at the Cup.

Old
07-22-2011, 02:19 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by committedindian86 View Post
I see the Hawks ending anywhere from 2nd to 5th, depending on how our division stacks up. Vancouver should be the top seed again cause that division is terrible. It all comes down to whether the hawks beat out the wings for the division crown, I also think Nashville will be a little down this year. They lost forward depth while the Hawks got deeper in the bottom 6. The Central is much stronger this season with Columbus and St. Louis adding depth as well. I'd probably expect the Central winner to finish with the 3 seed, possibly not even at 100 pts.
Didn't the Canucks still have the most points in the NHL, even when you exclude inter-division records?

I also wouldn't say the team that travels more miles than every other club in the league has an 'easy schedule'. The wear and tear and adverse effects from fatigue from spending that much time on the road are a huge factor and should not be overlooked.

On paper, I just don't think you can make a strong case for Chicago being a better team than the Canucks. There's a reason there was more than a 40 goal spread between them and the 2nd best team in the West last year in terms of goal differential - all while being decimated with injuries. And looking at the numbers it wasn't because of the division they played in...

Drop the Sopel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 02:21 PM
Cullksinikers

We'll just knock you out of the playoffs. Stanley Cups aren't won in the regular season. Even with not as good of a roster as last season, we almost knocked out the best team in the West. With the improvements made, the Blackhawks will make a serious run in the playoffs.

Old
07-22-2011, 02:27 PM
coldsteelonice84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
Didn't the Canucks still have the most points in the NHL, even when you exclude inter-division records?

I also wouldn't say the team that travels more miles than every other club in the league has an 'easy schedule'. The wear and tear and adverse effects from fatigue from spending that much time on the road are a huge factor and should not be overlooked.

On paper, I just don't think you can make a strong case for Chicago being a better team than the Canucks. There's a reason there was more than a 40 goal spread between them and the 2nd best team in the West last year in terms of goal differential - all while being decimated with injuries. And looking at the numbers it wasn't because of the division they played in...
The Hawks were decimated by injuries. The Hawks improved by a huge margin this offseason. No more scrubs like Boynton and Cullimore and Turco and Pisani, etc., etc. The Canucks picked up Sturm. Raymond had a huge injury and will miss significant time. Hamhuis was really beat up. The Canucks have to deal with the Cup hangover. The Hawks are fresh.

Old
07-22-2011, 02:47 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cullksinikers View Post
We'll just knock you out of the playoffs. Stanley Cups aren't won in the regular season. Even with not as good of a roster as last season, we almost knocked out the best team in the West. With the improvements made, the Blackhawks will make a serious run in the playoffs.
You almost got swept.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
The Hawks were decimated by injuries. The Hawks improved by a huge margin this offseason. No more scrubs like Boynton and Cullimore and Turco and Pisani, etc., etc. The Canucks picked up Sturm. Raymond had a huge injury and will miss significant time. Hamhuis was really beat up. The Canucks have to deal with the Cup hangover. The Hawks are fresh.
The Hawks weren't decimated by injuries last season.

As for improving by a huge margin, I don't see it. They're stronger at the bottom end of the roster but weaker at the top end with the loss of Campbell. The Hawks biggest improvement should come from better luck in 1 goal games and the absence of Marty Turco. On paper they look weaker than what they finished with last season...

I think the Canucks will take a step back from the loss of Ehrhoff, which is significant. But they have added Sturm, Higgins and Lapierre from what they started with last season. The depth up front has improved.

I just don't see any logical way to look past the Canucks elite goal differential from last year, nor try to pin it on playing in a weak division. Teams play less than 10% more against their own division than they do inter-conference. It's just not nearly as significant a factor as it was when teams played 8 games a year in their own division...

On paper, does anyone feel the Hawks have a stronger team than the Canucks? IMO Vancouver has the edge up front, on defense and in goal. I just don't see where the Hawks look better.

Old
07-22-2011, 02:58 PM
coldsteelonice84

Quote:
The Hawks weren't decimated by injuries last season.
Hossa, Kane, Orr...I mean Campbell, Bolland, Sharp. Hendry was a big injury too considering how thin the D was. They all missed significant time, some more than others but you weren't paying attention if you didn't notice the injury problems the Hawks had. And just who was filling in for those guys?...mostly players that didn't belong in the NHL.

Old
07-22-2011, 03:03 PM
Sarava

On paper the Nucks probably are stronger. Paper doesn't win cups though. Paper doesnt aaccount for the Sedins dissapearing in big playoff series.

Old
07-22-2011, 03:04 PM
Cullksinikers

This guy's funny.

Old
07-22-2011, 03:08 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
Hossa, Kane, Orr...I mean Campbell, Bolland, Sharp. Hendry was a big injury too considering how thin the D was. They all missed significant time, some more than others but you weren't paying attention if you didn't notice the injury problems the Hawks had. And just who was filling in for those guys?...mostly players that didn't belong in the NHL.
Every team has injuries, I just don't know if those constitute being 'decimated by injury'. The forwards were hit but the defense was pretty fortunate in this regard. I guess the point is, that's a reasonable number of man games missed and it's probably safe to assume there will likely be as many next year.

That's where Chicago is vulnerable IMO. They have enough depth up front to cover for injuries but if the defense gets hit hard it could be a world of trouble. Particularily if Keith or Seabrook miss significant time...

Old
07-22-2011, 03:12 PM
coldsteelonice84

Quote:
Every team has injuries, I just don't know if those constitute being 'decimated by injury'. The forwards were hit but the defense was pretty fortunate in this regard. I guess the point is, that's a reasonable number of man games missed and it's probably safe to assume there will likely be as many next year.

That's where Chicago is vulnerable IMO. They have enough depth up front to cover for injuries but if the defense gets hit hard it could be a world of trouble. Particularily if Keith or Seabrook miss significant time...
That's why Bowman has cap space and the opportunity to waive Olesz at any time to create more. Given those two factors and the fact that the Hawks have one of the deepest systems in the league, if anybody important goes down, we can trade for almost anyone out there and the problem is fixed.

Old
07-22-2011, 03:13 PM
Sarava

Well duh what team wouldnt be sol if they lost their best defenseman? The bottom line is your team wets the bed when the heat is on. You had your chance to win it while the Hawks roster was decimated and the Nucks blew it. You probably wont be getting another chance anytime soon, and that is probably a good thing for downtown Vancouver.

Old
07-22-2011, 03:17 PM
BBSeabs27
#freeseabs

I'm too superstitious to vote on this. I hope we will be better this season.

BBSeabs27 is offline   Reply With Quote