HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Nashville Edmonton

Old
07-22-2011, 05:20 AM
nzoilerfan

vCash: 500
Making threads involving the oilers young guns is really getting old. The Oilers are not going to move them, and if they did it would have to be a ridiculous overpayment in which case all the other teams' fans will shoot the deal down too. So please, can we try to avoid these kind of proposals. They just aren't feasible.

nzoilerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 06:04 AM
Seachd

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypredsfan View Post
Laugh eh? How are defensemen in NEXT years draft gonna help you anytime soon?
You know they're a relatively short time into an enormous rebuild, right? Who said they're in a hurry for help anytime soon?

Seachd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 06:35 AM
Fourier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundgarden View Post
I think a straight up deal would be perfect for each team. Nashville gets a player with offensive potential in Paajarvi and Edmonton gets their defenseman to pair with Whitney in Blum.
To be honest I would be very surprised if the Oilers even considered this deal right now.

Paajarvi's offensive upside is probably still in question, but he actually quietly had a very good rookie season. For a first year in the NHL he was extremely good defensively, has tremendous speed, very good size and excellent work ethic. He has the potential to be very good offensively, though I would not expect him to be a big goal scorer. Right now I would say that he looks like a great complement to Hall as the future second line LW and I have thought that he may well be a great candidate to play the right side with Hall and RNH in the future.

Of course Blum looks very good. But the development path of young defensemen is often a lot more unpredicatable than it is for skilled young forwards. Blum needs a couple more years at least to show his potential in the NHL before you can declare him a first pairing guy. In fact, while I really like Blum I would question whether or not there is yet significant evidence to suggest that he is enough of an upgrade over a guy like Petry to even give thought to such a deal right now.

Fourier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 07:36 AM
Tarpit*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypredsfan View Post
Laugh eh? How are defensemen in NEXT years draft gonna help you anytime soon? Most Dmen take a few years to get experience before even tasting the NHL. And on different hockey sites, it's always MPS coming up in trade discussion from Oilers fans themselves.
Blum might become a good defensemen, but it is a insult to even think he's worth MPS. The Oilers don't need another offensive light weight defender.

Tarpit* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 07:48 AM
oilers92

blum has played 35 games in the nhl come back when hes had a full season and is either still showing he can do it or had petered off, not worth the risk for the oilers

oilers92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 07:54 AM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by TehJuxtaposer View Post
MPS will be a 2nd liner. Blum will be a first pairing guy. The first is going the wrong way.

(No, i dont mean that its MPS + EDM 1st for Blum, but Blum>MPS)
Youre clearly unaware that Blum for ladislav Smid almost happened at this years deadline I guess.

Mr Forever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 07:55 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAK13 View Post
Blum might become a good defensemen, but it is a insult to even think he's worth MPS. The Oilers don't need another offensive light weight defender.
Offensive lightweight? He's in the Niedermayer vein...tremendous skater, great offensive instincts, but rock solid defensively.

Their value is close. You're insulting yourself if you don't realize that.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 08:00 AM
Tarpit*

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
Offensive lightweight? He's in the Niedermayer vein...tremendous skater, great offensive instincts, but rock solid defensively.

Their value is close. You're insulting yourself if you don't realize that.
Weighs 190lbs and doesn't like to play the physical game, I would call that light weight. Also Niedermayer was a physical defender which Blum is clearly not.

Old
07-22-2011, 08:05 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrForever View Post
Youre clearly unaware that Blum for ladislav Smid almost happened at this years deadline I guess.
That was a rumor that was reported in one place that spread like wildfire. I can almost guarantee that it didn't "almost" happen.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 08:06 AM
Predsrule

lol if you dont watch the player play dont comment ... only make your self look bad.. also love how rumors are deals that almost happen now...

Predsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 08:12 AM
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post
To be honest I would be very surprised if the Oilers even considered this deal right now.

Paajarvi's offensive upside is probably still in question, but he actually quietly had a very good rookie season. For a first year in the NHL he was extremely good defensively, has tremendous speed, very good size and excellent work ethic. He has the potential to be very good offensively, though I would not expect him to be a big goal scorer. Right now I would say that he looks like a great complement to Hall as the future second line LW and I have thought that he may well be a great candidate to play the right side with Hall and RNH in the future.

Of course Blum looks very good. But the development path of young defensemen is often a lot more unpredicatable than it is for skilled young forwards. Blum needs a couple more years at least to show his potential in the NHL before you can declare him a first pairing guy. In fact, while I really like Blum I would question whether or not there is yet significant evidence to suggest that he is enough of an upgrade over a guy like Petry to even give thought to such a deal right now.
Meh apparently .48 PPG in your rookie season means your a bust and a minus on a bottom 6 defensive teams means your defensively inept...Yes I'm getting at Nazem Kadri.

theIceWookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 09:02 AM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAK13 View Post
Weighs 190lbs and doesn't like to play the physical game, I would call that light weight. Also Niedermayer was a physical defender which Blum is clearly not.
Don't be fooled by reading his tsn.ca stat page. He's much more in the mold of Suter than he is Zidlicky.

SmokeyClause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 09:03 AM
glenngineer

Both are good players. Why is that hard for everyone to understand. They both have under a years experience in the NHL. Both look to be good players for the long haul.

I can only speak of Blum on a level that I got to see him play every game for Nashville. He was rock solid for a team contending for a playoff spot. His instincts and game are excellent for a young player. Very rare if you ask me. He stepped into a second pairing role immediately and handled it well.

Paarvari looks good too. I only saw him when Nashville played Edmonton or a few other games on CI. While I don't know his long range future he seems to be heading the same direction as Blum. Both solid young NHL players.

And for guys saying 190 lbs is too light to play physical, Lidstrom is that weight and has never been a bull back there yet he's arguably a top 3 blue liner of all time. People get hyped up on size, strength, etc. Maybe we should pay more attention to results on the ice as a judge of a player.

glenngineer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 09:13 AM
Luck 6
\\_______

Quote:
Originally Posted by McArthur View Post
depends on whether or not edmonton is still in rebuild mode come the trade deadline. if they are on the bubble for the playoffs, they need to push for a guy like blum. to me MPS still has alot to prove and has proven that the upside is there. but say for a guy like omark, who has proven he has the ability, may have already proven where that ability ends. If they are forced to trade weber, no one is getting blum for a while. if your hoping for a trade..... hope for weber, he'll be more available when they see what he's worth in arbitration. 6 mil easy
I think he'll get Chara money, as they were both Norris finalists and Chara's contract starts this season aswell. I don't see a better indicator out there, you can bet your ass the Weber party will be pushing hard with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
Counter:

Ellis for Paajarvi
They wouldn't do that. Ellis doesn't have #1 potential in my opinion, depending how you define a #1. He's more like a Green - lite.

Luck 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 09:19 AM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
I actually think Blum and a first is a very likely package going out to acquire a top 6 forward. Blum had a great first year for the Preds and immediately leaped board favorite and ex post facto blue chip Dman Cody Franson.

If I'm Poile, I pass quickly on this deal and try to acquire a top 3 winger with a Blum, Wilson and 1st package.

SmokeyClause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 09:48 AM
Fourier

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinnishKulemin View Post
Meh apparently .48 PPG in your rookie season means your a bust and a minus on a bottom 6 defensive teams means your defensively inept...Yes I'm getting at Nazem Kadri.
I really have no idea what this means.

Fourier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 09:55 AM
Tarpit*

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
Both are good players. Why is that hard for everyone to understand. They both have under a years experience in the NHL. Both look to be good players for the long haul.

I can only speak of Blum on a level that I got to see him play every game for Nashville. He was rock solid for a team contending for a playoff spot. His instincts and game are excellent for a young player. Very rare if you ask me. He stepped into a second pairing role immediately and handled it well.

Paarvari looks good too. I only saw him when Nashville played Edmonton or a few other games on CI. While I don't know his long range future he seems to be heading the same direction as Blum. Both solid young NHL players.

And for guys saying 190 lbs is too light to play physical, Lidstrom is that weight and has never been a bull back there yet he's arguably a top 3 blue liner of all time. People get hyped up on size, strength, etc. Maybe we should pay more attention to results on the ice as a judge of a player.
Never said he was too light to play physical, I said he doesn't like to play the physical game, he shy's away from it. The Oilers already have 2 1/2 defensemen like this we don't need another.

Old
07-22-2011, 10:42 AM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

He doesn't shy away from it. He just doesn't throw crushing hits. In fact, he loves to get his body in the way of a player with the puck. He isn't going to be dolling out brain-rocking hits, but he isn't going to simply fish for the puck to avoid having to physically separate the skater from it. A lot more can be said for solid positioning than can be said for intimidating body checks. See also: Ryan Suter

ThirdManIn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 11:23 AM
jukon
#Nailedit

Paajarvi is not available but..
I would consider this if it was your 2012 1st.

jukon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 11:35 AM
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post
I really have no idea what this means.
It was meant to be an indication of hfboards mentality to underrate players. MPS have a decent first season. People give that too him. However, Kadri playing at an exact same pace gets called a bust.

theIceWookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 11:47 AM
Soundgarden

vCash: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by jukon View Post
Paajarvi is not available but..
I would consider this if it was your 2012 1st.
Adding a first would just be dumb, Blum has just as much potential as MPS.

Soundgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 11:49 AM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundgarden View Post
Adding a first would just be dumb, Blum has just as much potential as MPS.
But apparently it's an "insult" to think Blum is worth MPS straight up

I agree, by the way. I do the deal if it's straight up. If we are adding anything of significance then no. If they want a 3rd or a 4th rounder then I'm ok with that. A 1st or a 2nd? No thanks

ThirdManIn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 11:51 AM
Soundgarden

vCash: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post

I agree, by the way. I do the deal if it's straight up. If we are adding anything of significance then no. If they want a 3rd or a 4th rounder then I'm ok with that. A 1st or a 2nd? No thanks
I think the value is fair, but I think I'd rather have Blum. Maybe that's just because he's from Long Beach.

Soundgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 11:55 AM
Voodoo Child
Lǎobǎn

The first is in there because Nashville is dealing from a position of extreme strength (Weber-Suter-Klein-Blum-Boullion-Ellis-Josi-Roussel) and Edmonton, while being strong on the wings (Hemsky-Eberle-Hall-MPS-Omark-Smyth) doesn't really have anyone to step in right away for MPS if he were to be traded.

But it seems we're mostly in agreement that Blum for MPS is a decent starting point for a deal.

Voodoo Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 12:02 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post

Kinda... Paajarvi is underrated. He's going to be a big, defensively responsible top line talent who can play point on the PP... I get how good Blum is, but Paajarvi has a lot going for him. I'd rather try and work out a deal around Ellis than Blum(not for any of our stars btw)

The Nuge is online now   Reply With Quote