HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Islanders Need A Top 4 Defenseman

Old
07-22-2011, 12:52 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

vCash: 500
What would you move for Gilbert?

07-22-2011, 01:02 PM
Beauner
Bye Bye Bylsma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
Ignoring actual value and whether each team does it for a minute, but how does it help the Pens?

Losing Martin means that one of Engelland, Lovejoy, or Niskanen suddenly gets top four minutes. I don't know about you, but that thought scares me.

Our top six currently has Crosby, Malkin, Staal (if Staalkin happens), Kunitz, Neal, Sullivan, with possibly Kennedy. Okposo would be our top RW, but he's not desperately needed if it means severely weakening one of the team's strengths (ie. it's top four).

I'd rather have Sullivan, Kennedy, or Neal (who is rumored to be tried at RW) as our top six RWers, along with Martin part of our big four on defense, than add Okposo but have to use Niskanen/Lovejoy/Engelland in the top four, logging 20 minutes per night.
If Despres is as ready as some people say he is then he could step into the second pairing with Michalek. I have no idea how ready he is though because I haven't seen him play nor am I a scouting expert. Just going off of what I hear people say about him.

The move for Okposo would be more of a long-term move. Sullivan is older and may not even be back after this year. Kunitz is a UFA after this season and isn't getting younger either.

I completely understand your point, I was just throwing something out there that looked like it could help both teams. Like I said, I don't even think I'd do it. Defense is a huge part of the game and like you said the offense currently is fine.

Beauner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 01:04 PM
startainfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadrupleDeke View Post
Jeff Schultz for a 2nd
for a 25 year old dman that is a season removed from being a +50?

startainfection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 01:08 PM
Luck 6
\\_______

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
Ballard isn't a huge upgrade over Komisarek. You'll be taking a chance on Komi, but he's better than what he's shown in Toronto. I just know it.
In Ballards worst season, he was a minor upgrade to Komisarek. In his best, he was MUCH MUCH better. If Ballard can return to form, he'd be a huge upgrade. Since Ballard missed last training camp due to a serious hip injury, and also suffered a concussion and leg injury during the season, the consensus is going into the season healthy and in shape will do him a ton of good. He's been given a very strict offseason plan by Canucks coaching staff, if he follows it he'll be ready.

That being said, he isn't available. So you can pawn em on Komi if ya want

Luck 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 01:10 PM
Robert Theodorson

Quote:
Originally Posted by startainfection View Post
for a 25 year old dman that is a season removed from being a +50?
OK FINE!

A 3rd

Robert Theodorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 01:12 PM
Aquiace
The Goggles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedeSpeedBackstrom View Post
OK FINE!

A 3rd
You drive a hard bargain.

Aquiace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 01:30 PM
magnet43

It would be tough for some Isle fans, but I think L. Schenn for Niederreiter and a 3rd would be good.

magnet43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 01:43 PM
redbull
BeLIeve in miracles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedberg1 View Post
If Despres is as ready as some people say he is then he could step into the second pairing with Michalek. I have no idea how ready he is though because I haven't seen him play nor am I a scouting expert. Just going off of what I hear people say about him.

The move for Okposo would be more of a long-term move. Sullivan is older and may not even be back after this year. Kunitz is a UFA after this season and isn't getting younger either.

I completely understand your point, I was just throwing something out there that looked like it could help both teams. Like I said, I don't even think I'd do it. Defense is a huge part of the game and like you said the offense currently is fine.
I believe Okposo would be a HUGE addition to the Pens and provide more value than the loss of Martin would hurt them. Whether it's Despres or not, or another defenseman acquired by UFA/trade/etc, adding a 4th to such a strong top three as Letang, Orpik, Michalek isn't as difficult as adding a top line impact player like Okposo, who's not even approached his prime yet.

I'm a big Okposo fan, I think he'd be great on the Pens. His style of play is a lot like Tyler Kennedy, Colby Armstrong except he's far better offensively. He's a bull-dog along the boards, has a wicked shot, good passer and has huge potential. He's another of the NYI players thrust into a prime-time role too soon, without any veteran (or capable NHL player) support at all.

Now that Nielsen has emerged to be an effective player, Grabner (hopefully) can maintain his play, Tavares will get better, Moulson has pretty much established himself, suddenly there's a supporting cast emerging that SHOULD be good enough to compete AND to create an atmosphere where Comeau, Bailey, Niederreiter can continue to develop.

I don't think Okposo will be traded, period. I believe he's a core guy. And like Sidney The Kidney said, Comeau (who might be available) may not be a good enough upgrade over Kennedy to warrant losing an asset like Despres but the Okposo-Martin "fit" in terms of value and benefit to BOTH teams is pretty fair in terms of value.

But I don't make that deal if I'm the NYI. I believe Okposo can be more of an impact player on a winning team than Martin can, but that's based on my perceptions rather than actual, measurable facts, for sure.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote