HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Hockey Fights
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Hockey Fights Discuss and rate hockey fights and fighters of today and from the past. Videos welcome!

Aaron Boogaard arrested

Old
07-22-2011, 12:24 PM
straka91*

vCash: 500
Aaron Boogaard arrested

Aaron Boogaard arrested on drug charges

Quote:
Aaron Boogaard, the 24-year-old brother of the late Minnesota Wild hockey player Derek Boogaard, was arrested Wednesday evening in Minneapolis on suspicion of prescription fraud/possession of prescription pills, according to police records.

Aaron Boogaard, a Canadian national from Regina, Saskatchewan, is being held at the Hennepin County jail on the drug arrest and on a federal immigration hold, according to the jail's website. The police record listing Aaron Boogaard's arrest says that the date and time of his alleged crime is May 13, the same day that family members found Derek Boogaard, 28, dead in his Warehouse District apartment. The incident was listed as "dead on arrival."

No comment from Minneapolis police was immediately available. The Hennepin County Attorney's office has until noon Friday to charge him with a crime.

Boogaard family is just having really bad fortunes this summer.

straka91* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 12:39 PM
habitue*

Just too sad...

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 12:49 PM
mfzero
Canucks?

TSN's side

Quote:

MINNEAPOLIS -- Prosecutors have charged the brother of Derek Boogaard with providing the prescription drug that contributed to the former NHL enforcer's overdose death in May.

A complaint filed Friday in Minneapolis says 24-year-old Aaron Boogaard gave his brother an Oxycodone pill the day of his death. Authorities said earlier that Derek Boogaard died of a mix of alcohol and Oxycodone.

Aaron Boogaard is charged with unlawful sale of a controlled substance. He's also charged with interfering with the scene of a death for allegedly trying to mislead or conceal evidence.

mfzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 12:55 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfzero View Post
TSN's side
Awful. Just awful. poor family !

And the guy went to the podium last June during the NHL Draft.... What a looser !

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 01:08 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Those cops need to get a ****ing life. Derek Boogaard was a grown man.

rt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 01:12 PM
Crossbar Ping

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Boom

Crossbar Ping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 01:14 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post

And the guy went to the podium last June during the NHL Draft.... What a looser !
Loser? Grow up. A 24 year old gave his 28 year old brother a pill. I seriously doubt Derek was tricked into taking it. **** happens. I'd say Aaron has had to deal with quite enough. It's not as though he's a drug dealer. He's being accused of giving one man one pill one time. Seriously? This is the kind of police work they are using their budget for in Minneapolis? Who wins, here? What is the point of this? Punitive? Absurd. Preventative? Twice as absurd. Time for local government to quite being star ****ers and press ******. Take your big fat ****ing nose out of a family matter, Minny PD.

Old
07-22-2011, 01:16 PM
X0X0A0
Sons of Pirates

vCash: 50
The worst punishment will be knowing for the rest of his life that he supplied what killed his brother, that can't be easy.

X0X0A0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 01:20 PM
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User

I agree with RT.

Frolov 6'3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 01:25 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Unless, of course, it does come out that his brother has ties to some kind of trafficking ring, or something. How likely is that? I'm assuming this is about headlines because of a high profile death. If this stops at Aaron Boogaard, there are some detectives and prosecutors that need pink slips.

Old
07-22-2011, 01:36 PM
rafterman

vCash: 0
Quote:
Loser? Grow up. A 24 year old gave his 28 year old brother a pill. I seriously doubt Derek was tricked into taking it. **** happens. I'd say Aaron has had to deal with quite enough. It's not as though he's a drug dealer. He's being accused of giving one man one pill one time. Seriously? This is the kind of police work they are using their budget for in Minneapolis? Who wins, here? What is the point of this? Punitive? Absurd. Preventative? Twice as absurd. Time for local government to quite being star ****ers and press ******. Take your big fat ****ing nose out of a family matter, Minny PD.
Yeah, I'm sure it was the only time he gave him pills.... (especially since he's also been charged with interference with a scene of death). And what should the police do when they come across someone that has drugs they shouldn't have ? Just ignore it ? I'm guessing the investigation isn't ending with his brother - that a doctor writing phony prescriptions or a dealer is the real target, that Aaron is just part of it. What is absurd about trying to find the source of illegal or abused prescription drugs ?? Or are you good with just closing your eyes and letting it go on ?

rafterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 01:47 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

If they are trying to roll Aaron, they probably would not have charged him. Especially not with so much publicity. Generally you roll OR get charged, right? They didn't charge him for conspiracy or trafficking, or anything of the like. What is the point of a charge like this, if its part of a larger investigation? The threat of a charge is the leverage in a situation like that, is it not?

As far as Dereksdeath is concerned, its been confirmed that he struggled with this addiction, no? If so, I really don't care how many times Aaron gave his brother a pill. Whether he was trying to help him with withdrawal symptoms or whether he just wanted somebody to get high with is no consequence to me. Drug abuse is a petty vice crime and YES should be ignored by law enforcement. Dirty doctors and drug rings, etc however are obviously worthy of attention. We shall see where this leads.

Old
07-22-2011, 02:20 PM
Trapper2530

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textbook Thompson View Post
The worst punishment will be knowing for the rest of his life that he supplied what killed his brother, that can't be easy.
this is true, he has to live with the fact that he contributed to killing his brother for hte rest of his life, but still the cops have to do there job, what he did was illegal, he was in possession if the pill was subscribed to him he gave it to his brother illegally, if he bought it off the street, it is possession of a controlled substance that he gave his brother illegally.

he also "allegedly" mislead lead police investigators and tried conceal evidence

i do believe he should get charged and arrested serve maybe 60 days in jail or something that of that sort...you cant just let him off the hook just because it was his brother that died and not some guy he met at a party and said oh hey take this

but thats just my opinion

Trapper2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 02:47 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
If they are trying to roll Aaron, they probably would not have charged him. Especially not with so much publicity. Generally you roll OR get charged, right? They didn't charge him for conspiracy or trafficking, or anything of the like. What is the point of a charge like this, if its part of a larger investigation? The threat of a charge is the leverage in a situation like that, is it not?

As far as Dereksdeath is concerned, its been confirmed that he struggled with this addiction, no? If so, I really don't care how many times Aaron gave his brother a pill. Whether he was trying to help him with withdrawal symptoms or whether he just wanted somebody to get high with is no consequence to me. Drug abuse is a petty vice crime and YES should be ignored by law enforcement. Dirty doctors and drug rings, etc however are obviously worthy of attention. We shall see where this leads.
The threat of a charge could just be the first tactic. If that was unsuccessful, the second step would most likely be to charge him and then leverage a plea bargain or dropped charges I would imagine.

I don't have a huge issue with them prosecuting if they decide to. Sure his brother is responsible for himself, but he didn't just break the law when he gave his brother the oxy. He apparently broke the law to get them too. How did Derek develop his addiction I wonder. Whether it was from a legal prescription for an injury or just recreational use.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 02:48 PM
rafterman

vCash: 0
What would make you more likely to talk ? A cop calling and saying 'hey, we might charge you if you don't talk' or actually being charged and then being offered leniency if you help an investigation. Charges can be changed/dropped at anytime, charging now applies more pressure than not charging.

They're just doing their jobs. Someone died because of a drug they shouldn't have had. The obvious first step is to find where it came from. That it's Derek's own brother just makes it a more tragic situation.

rafterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 02:49 PM
karnige
Real Life FTL

Quote:
exactly. his brother was just being a brother. worried to see his own flesh and blood suffering. 1 pill didn't cause this. it was boogymans demons.

karnige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 05:17 PM
BacklundtoBartschi*

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post

He got boo'd and I was like wow Wild fans are so classless, but now that I know about this... Good on ya Minnesota.

BacklundtoBartschi* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 05:34 PM
ponder

Just a pretty terrible/sad situation all around, you gotta feel bad for the rest of the family. Sounds like Aaron gave his brother oxy, but I doubt he pushed it on him, if anything it's usually the older brother leading the younger one into the party/drugs lifestyle. Derek was a big boy, he knew what he was doing. As long as Aaron isn't actually some kind of drug dealer then I think him having to live with the knowledge that he played such a role in his brother's death is punishment enough.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 05:46 PM
bottomofthefoodchain

Let it go...

bottomofthefoodchain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 05:57 PM
Casper
30 goal grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacklundtoBartschi View Post
He got boo'd and I was like wow Wild fans are so classless, but now that I know about this... Good on ya Minnesota.
lol, BOO was the chant wild fans did for BOOgard during games. It was just one last good bye from Wild fans.

Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 06:41 PM
mygameworn

Send a message via AIM to mygameworn
Quote:

Really? The fact that their last name is BOOgaard wouldn't make any sense now would it...

mygameworn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 07:03 PM
XX
He's a good guy

Quote:
Just to cover all the bases, they aren't booing Luongo when he makes a save, either. Although that may change next season.

XX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 07:07 PM
Dark Knight
ScorchedEarthRebuild

This stuff isn't for us to comment on.

There is a fine line.

07-22-2011, 07:28 PM
Fuzzy Bunny

Only disappointing thing here is that the family knew Derek had a problem, and Aaron helped fuel that problem. Going to be tough around the family for sure. Although, Derek would have most likely been able to find what he wanted elsewhere anyways.

No point in this becoming a police matter.

Fuzzy Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 08:38 PM
Opus
Boondoggle

vCash: 875
Quote:
While I understand where you're coming from, I certainly don't agree with the "**** happens" angle.

...not when a life is lost.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote