HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Hockey Fights
Hockey Fights Discuss and rate hockey fights and fighters of today and from the past. Videos welcome!

Aaron Boogaard arrested

Old
07-22-2011, 08:48 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BacklundtoBartschi View Post
He got boo'd and I was like wow Wild fans are so classless, but now that I know about this... Good on ya Minnesota.
He got Boog'd not booed.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 10:34 PM
CASUAL KEV
Jack Adams™

vCash: 500
Quote:
He got boo'd and I was like wow Wild fans are so classless, but now that I know about this... Good on ya Minnesota.

Oh wait...you're serious

CASUAL KEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 11:02 PM
DC in SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Loser? Grow up. A 24 year old gave his 28 year old brother a pill. I seriously doubt Derek was tricked into taking it. **** happens. I'd say Aaron has had to deal with quite enough. It's not as though he's a drug dealer. He's being accused of giving one man one pill one time. Seriously? This is the kind of police work they are using their budget for in Minneapolis? Who wins, here? What is the point of this? Punitive? Absurd. Preventative? Twice as absurd. Time for local government to quite being star ****ers and press ******. Take your big fat ****ing nose out of a family matter, Minny PD.
While I will agree Derek, as a competent adult, shoulders the blame for actually taking the pill, that doesn't abstain his brother from fault either. There's no denying that without that one pill, his Derek would be alive. Really, it doesn't matter if it's one or one hundred, it's still a controlled substance and it's still illegal to distribute or posses drugs you or the person you're giving them to don't have a prescription for. Now, the severity of the crime you're charged with might change with the amount distributed, but it's still illegal no matter how common an occurrence it is. You can try to discredit the Minneapolis police department all you want, but the bottom line it's still against the law and what he did and it led to someone's death. I don't see how you can seriously believe the cops weren't going to get involved after finding that out. I will say I agree this should have been handled in more discreet way with the family but you can't be mad at the cops for enforcing the law, no matter how trivial it is.

DC in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 11:19 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Eesh, just read that he was charged in relation to Derek's death. I mean, the kid has gone through enough. Arresting him and charging him for this is just over the top and stupid.

"Okay, Joel. You've had your fun. Give your brother his pads back." - Trxjw
Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 11:46 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Eesh, just read that he was charged in relation to Derek's death. I mean, the kid has gone through enough. Arresting him and charging him for this is just over the top and stupid.
That only makes sense considering that's how they found out about it. Due to the nature of the pill in question (how addictive it is) I just don't have a problem with any of this. Oxycodone, in my mind, are right up the with heroin and other opiates as far as how seriously their illegal distribution should be taken. The fact that you get them from a pharmacy and ingest them instead of on a corner and shooting them up is the biggest difference between oxycodone and heroin. Other than that (and the stigma attached to heroin that isn't there for prescription pill abuse) the similarities are pretty startling.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 12:04 AM
Rink Rage

Quote:
You have no idea as to what you're talking about.

Rink Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 12:38 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus View Post
While I understand where you're coming from, I certainly don't agree with the "**** happens" angle.

...not when a life is lost.
I've lost some of the people I've loved most in my life to substance abuse. Alcohol to pain pills to oxy and then to heroin(cheaper and easier to get). Two of my best friends through middle school, high school and the few years after, as well as a girl I dated for almost five years(19 to 24). I can tell you from first hand experience...**** does happen.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 12:44 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC in SC View Post
While I will agree Derek, as a competent adult, shoulders the blame for actually taking the pill, that doesn't abstain his brother from fault either. There's no denying that without that one pill, his Derek would be alive. Really, it doesn't matter if it's one or one hundred, it's still a controlled substance and it's still illegal to distribute or posses drugs you or the person you're giving them to don't have a prescription for. Now, the severity of the crime you're charged with might change with the amount distributed, but it's still illegal no matter how common an occurrence it is. You can try to discredit the Minneapolis police department all you want, but the bottom line it's still against the law and what he did and it led to someone's death. I don't see how you can seriously believe the cops weren't going to get involved after finding that out. I will say I agree this should have been handled in more discreet way with the family but you can't be mad at the cops for enforcing the law, no matter how trivial it is.
No offense, but that's a naive take, my friend. There are a lot of drug addicts out there. Generally addiction does not garner all that much interest from investigators. Not even in the case of overdose or accidental poisoning(oxy plus alcohol). If it comes out that Aaron has involvement in some organized distribution of the drug, than this makes sense. Otherwise, it's an offensive misuse of time, and clearly exclusively due to the high profile nature of the incident.

Old
07-23-2011, 12:54 AM
hfboardsuser

It would be a greater miscarriage of justice had Aaron not been charged, frankly. We could accuse the Minneapolis PD of being "star ****ers" then, not in a situation where they're actually doing their jobs.

hfboardsuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 01:09 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Sheesh, you guys have a such an idealistic view of things. That's just not real life. There is a logistical aspect to law enforcement that makes locking up all the evil doers a pretty tall order. They budget and prioritize out of necesity.

Old
07-23-2011, 01:26 AM
hfboardsuser

Quote:
Sheesh, you guys have a such an idealistic view of things. That's just not real life. There is a logistical aspect to law enforcement that makes locking up all the evil doers a pretty tall order. They budget and prioritize out of necesity.
Understood. And it would be idealistic to assume there are not greater forces at play here- politics, statistics, power. I believe, at the end of the day, this is an easy case-closed for the MPD. They get a likely plea and a +1 to the good in the year-end numbers. But that doesn't mean the law wasn't broken, and that punishment shouldn't be meted out.

hfboardsuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 02:32 AM
DC in SC

Quote:
No offense, but that's a naive take, my friend. There are a lot of drug addicts out there. Generally addiction does not garner all that much interest from investigators. Not even in the case of overdose or accidental poisoning(oxy plus alcohol). If it comes out that Aaron has involvement in some organized distribution of the drug, than this makes sense. Otherwise, it's an offensive misuse of time, and clearly exclusively due to the high profile nature of the incident.
I'm sorry, but I don't believe it's ever a misuse of time to investigate any information that can shed light on the death of a person, however naive or silly you may think the logic behind it to be. It could have been handled in a more discreet way, sure, but I think calling it offensive is a bit melodramatic.

DC in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 03:19 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Which is why I would bet that this is just a step in an investigative process that has an eye on the bigger picture. Someone wrote him a script or filled a bad script with out following up with the issuing physician (which is standard procedure as far as i know when dealing with opiates). What are the odds that when they did it for Boogard was the first and last time they will or have?

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 06:11 AM
Elvis Presley
Aka #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
This stuff isn't for us to comment on.

There is a fine line.
Thread begins and ends here.

Elvis Presley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 10:39 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
Which is why I would bet that this is just a step in an investigative process that has an eye on the bigger picture. Someone wrote him a script or filled a bad script with out following up with the issuing physician (which is standard procedure as far as i know when dealing with opiates). What are the odds that when they did it for Boogard was the first and last time they will or have?
You may be right. We will likely find out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis Presley View Post
Thread begins and ends here.
Correct. We are all just speculating, we will see where this goes.

Old
07-23-2011, 12:16 PM
RandR

Quote:
Aaron Boogaard did something that is against the law precisely because it can lead to the exact situation that happened ... someone died. I have no doubt that the death of his brother was purely accidental and Aaron biggest punishment will be the guilt that he will have to live with for the rest of his life. However, laws that exist to prevent accidental deaths need to exist and charges need to be laid in an effort to reduce the frequency of these kinds of personal tragedies.

The lessons learned here are a little too scary for me ... just over a week ago my boss came into work in severe pain due to a cracked rib he had suffered on the weekend. I offered to go home and bring him a pill or two of oxycodone (I have some left over because I only ever used a couple of pills from a one-time prescription I had for it). My boss didn't take me up on my offer, but I have been reminded by the Boogaard case that:
1. I have no business offering oxycodone to anyone
2. even a single pill of oxycodone mixed with alcohol can be lethal

If Aaron Boogaard hadn't have been charged, I probably would never have known what happened to Derek (previously I just knew he had died). However, the publicity resulting from the laying of charges serves as an example to people like myself about how dangerous some prescription drugs can be, even if used with the best of intentions.

RandR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 02:33 PM
BleedOrange
Future Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
he gave his brother the pills that killed him he should face charges..

BleedOrange is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 03:49 PM
straka91*

No matter how much pain Aaron may be in due to the loss and his actions, he still has to face the law. People crying fowl need to come back to earth.

If someone asks his brother to shoot him (for whatever reason) ,you think the brother would get away scott free because he is mourning his brothers death? Same situation just less extreme(and accidental) in Aarons case. Sucks, but no one is above the law.

straka91* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 04:08 PM
leova

his brother gets out of drug rehab...and he then gives him drugs and says "lets go celebrate by getting drunk and doing more drugs" ??

good lord, some people these days just have no sense at all...

leova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 04:45 PM
ThisYearsModel

What a horrible story this has become.

ThisYearsModel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 05:59 PM
Ominous Grey

Quote:
Loser? Grow up. A 24 year old gave his 28 year old brother a pill. I seriously doubt Derek was tricked into taking it. **** happens. I'd say Aaron has had to deal with quite enough. It's not as though he's a drug dealer. He's being accused of giving one man one pill one time. Seriously? This is the kind of police work they are using their budget for in Minneapolis? Who wins, here? What is the point of this? Punitive? Absurd. Preventative? Twice as absurd. Time for local government to quite being star ****ers and press ******. Take your big fat ****ing nose out of a family matter, Minny PD.
This. 1000x this.

Unless there is something major going on here that we don't know about, this is a disgrace. You think he was trying to harm his brother? Perhaps he was irresponsible, but my god - he'll have to live with this for the rest of his life.

It's this type of crap that makes me hate the police. Don't they have, ya know, something better to do?

Ominous Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 06:10 PM
funky11

Quote:
No, there was Boo's because Bettman followed the Boogard's onto the stage.

funky11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 07:39 PM
kingpest19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ominous Grey View Post
This. 1000x this.

Unless there is something major going on here that we don't know about, this is a disgrace. You think he was trying to harm his brother? Perhaps he was irresponsible, but my god - he'll have to live with this for the rest of his life.

It's this type of crap that makes me hate the police. Don't they have, ya know, something better to do?
Them doing their job makes you hate them? He committed a crime but he shouldnt face the consequences? If convicted hes not going to face any jail time and minimal probation time.

Yes hes going to have to live with the guilt that his brother died but he broke the law twice and the consequences he will face a very lenient ones. Id be more dissappointed if the police werent doing there job.

kingpest19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 07:52 PM
Ominous Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpest19 View Post
Them doing their job makes you hate them? He committed a crime but he shouldnt face the consequences? If convicted hes not going to face any jail time and minimal probation time.

Yes hes going to have to live with the guilt that his brother died but he broke the law twice and the consequences he will face a very lenient ones. Id be more dissappointed if the police werent doing there job.
Their job is to protect and serve. There are some who do this job admirably, so hate is a bit uncalled for. Apologies for that.

To the point, whom does this protect? Whom does this serve? They are enforcing a law which is commonly broken in a very isolated incident. You think this is some big drug ring? They are dragging through the mud the brother of a man who is dead, for little to no reason. There are real felonies with which their time would be much better spent.

This is petty and inappropriate.

Ominous Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 07:57 PM
kingpest19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ominous Grey View Post
Their job is to protect and serve. There are some who do this job admirably, so hate is a bit uncalled for. Apologies for that.

To the point, whom does this protect? Whom does this serve? They are enforcing a law which is commonly broken in a very isolated incident. You think this is some big drug ring? They are dragging through the mud the brother of a man who is dead, for little to no reason. There are real felonies their time would be much better attending to.

This is petty and inappropriate.
So what youre saying is they shouldnt do their job then? Fact is he broke the law not once but twice. Yes it sucks that his brother died but that shouldnt get him off scott free from consequences that are very lenient at worse. 21 months of probation and no jail time?

kingpest19 is offline   Reply With Quote