King Tyler Speaks

Old
07-22-2011, 12:40 PM
Shaun
beauty

vCash: 50
King Tyler Speaks

Quote:
Boston Bruins forward Tyler Seguin talks about winning the Stanley Cup, the Bruins chances of a repeat and his golf game.

James Cybulski: Has it kind of set in? I mean here you are, you're still 19 years old and you're a Stanley Cup champion.

Tyler Seguin: Ya really, I couldn't tell you if it has settled in or not, it's definitely going to hit me when I get the chance to have the Cup in my home town with my family and friends. I think that will be kind of the point when it'll hit me where I realize that our team just won the Stanley Cup.

JC: It took a little while for you to get your opportunity in the post season but boy-oh-boy to get an opportunity like you did and it came late in the conference finals against Tampa and you had the ultimate coming out party with all those snipes and just going absolutely ruthless - how good did it feel to be able to make an impact like that in the postseason?

TS: Of course it felt good, it wasn't feeling good sitting up top waiting for one of your teammates to get hurt for you to get an opportunity to play - that was not the feeling I wanted but I wanted to stay focused and stay ready in case I got the call and I wanted to be able to step in right away and make an impact to help our team win.

JC: How do you do that when you're sitting for a month or two?

TS: You got to stay tough upstairs in your head and try to keep your confidence up and just really work hard in practice - I feel I worked harder when I wasn't in the lineup than when I was. You work hard, you practice, you work out, so I decided to stay focused with that.

JC: What's it like as a Brampton kid being a Stanley Cup champ for the Boston Bruins and being forever linked with that trade with the Toronto Maple Leafs in that Phil Kessel deal? Do all your buddies chirp you about that?

TS: They chirp me about it, lots of Toronto fans around here - they chirp me about the Phil Kessel trade but everyone's real happy we got the Cup this year and can share it with all of them.

JC: Have you heard from any Leaf fans going, "man you're making this trade even harder for us."

TS: I think I've read a few things (laughs) and obviously with the draft this year and us getting Dougie Hamilton and that still being part of the Leaf trade, so, I think it's all over now though.

JC: You get the Stanley Cup July 31st. What are you going to do?

TS: Got to finalize all that this week, right now looks like I'm going to do something in Brampton, the mayor called and wants to do something around the town, from there I'll probably do something at Westwood Arena because I played Greater Toronto Hockey League there, then hopefully have a chance to stop off at a hospital and then have a pig roast with my family and my close friends.

JC: What's that going to mean bringing the Stanley Cup to the rink where you grew up playing minor hockey?

TS: It's going to be nice, I haven't been there actually since - I don't even know, may have been before the OHL. It's going to be nice there and hopefully a lot fans and young hockey players will come out and see the Stanley Cup.

JC: You've already lost some key elements from free agency: Mark Recchi retired, Michael Ryder has signed on in Dallas and you also lost Tomas Kaberle who has signed with Carolina. Do you guys still feel you have enough of a core to repeat despite losing some key veterans?

TS: I definitely think repeating will be harder to do; everyone's starting to get prepared for next year, definitely that group of guys we had last year, it was something I never experienced before. Everyone was just so close and I think that's a part on why we won and I'm definitely going to miss those two guys who've gone to other teams but I hope they have the best careers.

JC: How's your golf game these days?

TS: I've gone out a few times, usually it can range from an 80-90.

JC: Do you take your game seriously or are you the guy who has a six-pack in the bag?

TS: I guess I can say I have a six-pack in the bag because I'm 19 in Canada right?

JC: Isn't it easier being 19 in Ontario than in Boston, Massachusetts?

TS: Ya, you could say that.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=3722...ce=twitterfeed

Best part is last 2 questions.

Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 12:52 PM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire View Post
Thanks for posting that.

Neely2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 01:06 PM
Shaun
beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
Thanks for posting that.
No problem. I like how Leaf fans are chirping him. I mean maybe they should make the playoffs before chirping a Stanley Cup Champion

Old
07-22-2011, 01:13 PM
VeddarRants
HEART AND SOUL

Quote:
TS: You got to stay tough upstairs in your head and try to keep your confidence up and just really work hard in practice - I feel I worked harder when I wasn't in the lineup than when I was. You work hard, you practice, you work out, so I decided to stay focused with that.
The coaches took a lot of heat for sitting him down at times, but it seems they were right on the money with the kid. Seguin's learning how to be a pro and I'm glad he's in the right hands.

VeddarRants is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 01:13 PM
ksp1957

vCash: 361
Send a message via AIM to ksp1957
Quote:
No problem. I like how Leaf fans are chirping him. I mean maybe they should make the playoffs before chirping a Stanley Cup Champion
Seguin might be in the league 10 years by then.

ksp1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 01:21 PM
Shaun
beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeddarRants View Post
The coaches took a lot of heat for sitting him down at times, but it seems they were right on the money with the kid. Seguin's learning how to be a pro and I'm glad he's in the right hands.
That fat kid we used to have would sit and pout. Instead Tyler understands it.

Old
07-22-2011, 01:41 PM
WreckItRask

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeddarRants View Post
Blasphemy. He should have been on the PP and first line all year.

WreckItRask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 01:43 PM
KnightofBoston
MVP

Quote:
I

thanks crossfire

KnightofBoston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 01:53 PM
Gonzothe7thDman

Quote:
Yea like in 07-08 playoffs.....oh wait, he didn't. He came back and scored in games 5 and 6.

Gonzothe7thDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 02:03 PM
Scotto74
First in line...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzothe7thDman View Post
Yea like in 07-08 playoffs.....oh wait, he didn't. He came back and scored in games 5 and 6.
If I remember he did pout when he was out and even after he was traded talked again about how he did not understand why he was benched.

Because he came back in games 5 and 6 to play well does not mean he did not pout about being benched and he said himself he didn't understand why he was benched.

the point you responded to said at least Tyler understands it where Kessel did not. I think that point is dead on.

Scotto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 02:22 PM
Dogberry
NHL2Seattle plzkthx

Quote:
Pouting and scoring are not mutually exclusive activities.

Dogberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 02:28 PM
Gonzothe7thDman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotto74 View Post
If I remember he did pout when he was out and even after he was traded talked again about how he did not understand why he was benched.

Because he came back in games 5 and 6 to play well does not mean he did not pout about being benched and he said himself he didn't understand why he was benched.

the point you responded to said at least Tyler understands it where Kessel did not. I think that point is dead on.
Id be rattled too, being one of the most offensively gifted players in game 1. Recording a point as well. Then I have to sit? The defensive Liability thing is blown way out of proportion. In the regular season, he floated on the backcheck, I never saw him do it once in the playoffs. The team needed goalscoring ability in the 07-08 playoffs. Something Kessel clearly provided.

Old
07-22-2011, 02:32 PM
KnightofBoston
MVP

Quote:
Id be rattled too, being one of the most offensively gifted players in game 1. Recording a point as well. Then I have to sit? The defensive Liability thing is blown way out of proportion. In the regular season, he floated on the backcheck, I never saw him do it once in the playoffs. The team needed goalscoring ability in the 07-08 playoffs. Something Kessel clearly provided.
I know, what a mistake, and now where's our elite sniper? We're really going to need one if we want to win a cu...o wait

KnightofBoston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 02:39 PM
Scotto74
First in line...

Quote:
again I think your missing the point. It is fine to be rattled when benched.

The point was did he take it as a learning expierence like Tyler or did he pout about it and learn nothing.

Getting goals in the next games played does not really matter to the point.

Being rattled does not really matter to the point.

Kessel himself said the benching did not affect him at all. That to me says he did not take it as a learning expierence. But hey it's old news. Bruins won the trade and the cup. kessel is what he is and not someone to be on a winning team in my opinion.

Scotto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 02:57 PM
mattbnh

Quote:
Kessel himself said the benching did not affect him at all. That to me says he did not take it as a learning expierence. But hey it's old news. Bruins won the trade and the cup. kessel is what he is and not someone to be on a winning team in my opinion.
In retrospect, how does "the gym is that way" look now?

mattbnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 03:12 PM
8spokesontheB
Cry Havoc!

I've always liked Tyler. Now that I know he's the kind of guy to suggest a pig roast, you can call me a fanboy.

8spokesontheB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 03:24 PM
lextune
I'm too old for this

Incidentally; where the hell is "King Tyler" coming from?

lextune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 03:46 PM
Gonzothe7thDman

Quote:
again I think your missing the point. It is fine to be rattled when benched.

The point was did he take it as a learning expierence like Tyler or did he pout about it and learn nothing.

Getting goals in the next games played does not really matter to the point.

Being rattled does not really matter to the point.

He didnt learn anything from the benching, and still put up a ppg in the playoffs. Maybe benching him was a coaching mistake. Too bad he didn't kiss ass and say all the right things like Seguin did/does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightofBoston View Post
I know, what a mistake, and now where's our elite sniper? We're really going to need one if we want to win a cu...o wait
Relevance.....

Old
07-22-2011, 03:56 PM
Kate08
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Take a step back and look at the bigger picture. When you're dealing with young talent, you need to mold them, shape them into the players you want them to become. He was being taught a lesson that, had he internalized it, would have served him much better in the long run than scoring a few more goals in a fruitless playoff run would have.

Kate08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 03:56 PM
Kate08
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
He didnt learn anything from the benching, and still put up a ppg in the playoffs. Maybe benching him was a coaching mistake. Too bad he didn't kiss ass and say all the right things like Seguin did/does.

Relevance.....
And that's the problem. He SHOULD have learned from it, but he chose not to.

Kate08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 04:18 PM
SerenityRick

Send a message via AIM to SerenityRick
Quote:

You are seriously one of the most miserable Bruins fans I have ever seen post on these boards. The annoying part is when people call you out for it, you hide under the guise of being objectionable.

SerenityRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 04:35 PM
BoyntBergie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerenityRick View Post
You are seriously one of the most miserable Bruins fans I have ever seen post on these boards. The annoying part is when people call you out for it, you hide under the guise of being objectionable.

Maybe a little harsher than I would have worded it, but the same exact spirit of what I was about to say.

That said, you also have one of my favorite usernames/avatars on the whole site Gonzo, so, you got that going for you at least.

BoyntBergie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 04:41 PM
Shaun
beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by lextune View Post
Incidentally; where the hell is "King Tyler" coming from?
I invented it.

Old
07-22-2011, 05:46 PM
Gonzothe7thDman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerenityRick View Post
I like it sir. Good analysis.

Old
07-22-2011, 05:53 PM
Gonzothe7thDman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate08 View Post
Take a step back and look at the bigger picture. When you're dealing with young talent, you need to mold them, shape them into the players you want them to become. He was being taught a lesson that, had he internalized it, would have served him much better in the long run than scoring a few more goals in a fruitless playoff run would have.
The kid has been billed from day 1 as a ferrari. Trying to mold him into a gremlin was useless. In the playoffs, he competes in every zone. He was offensively dangerous, and was sat. The team needed offense, not another 2-way guy. I'd be confused as to why I was sat too.