HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Brian Rolston to Boston

Old
07-22-2011, 03:46 PM
Lord Ahriman

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oates2Neely View Post

Which should be enough to secure a nice asset at the deadline if neccesary
Not all this money will be banked by the deadline, even running a roster with 22 players (23 with Savard), some money will be spent due to injuries, but having $2.0M banked, will allow to add $9M in salary.

Lord Ahriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 03:47 PM
apice3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobafettish View Post
wasn't he put on waivers last year?
Knew I'd find you here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument90 View Post
He's immov... wait!

Seriously, it'd take a 3rd or even a 4th. I think he was even waived at some point. He's still a solid 3rd liner for a year or 2 but he's salary dump as well.
Well, you weren't the fan I was talking about, but anyway.

No team is going to give up a 3rd or a 4th, unless it's a team that is really struggling to reach the floor. Either that, or there's a contending team somewhere that has plenty of cap space and needs a serviceable 3rd liner. I doubt that team exists.

Rolston gets a bad rap on these boards. He's still a very good 3rd liner, defensively responsible, and has a laser of a slap shot. His issue is that he's substantially overpaid and isn't the fastest of skaters. People mistake bad contract for bad player, which isn't the case here.

That being said, it would probably cost the Devils an asset of some kind just to get rid of his contract. Anyone asking for a blue chip prospect is delusional though. We're not about to strip our future to trade a player with one year left on his contract.

The only real way to get a fair offer for Rolston is if you make one of those promise deals, where NJ and team X swap some kind of pick/prospect package in exchange for team X claiming Rolston at half price on re-entry waivers.

apice3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 03:48 PM
Lord Ahriman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyris View Post
I know Rolston was on waivers last season but was he on re-entry waivers too?
Yes:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=347226

Old
07-22-2011, 03:49 PM
JS19

Didn't someone on the Bruins board or here recently post that Chiarelli wasn't going to bring in more salary, because of the fact that he predicts the salary cap going down? (never mind the fact that Rolston has a year left on his contract). If so, then Peter Chiarelli is pretty much done with his off-season and awaits the deadline

I don't see why he wouldn't rely on his prospect pool and players he already has to fill up minor holes. I'm no Bruins fan, but Rolston would be going a step backwards and displace their "roster hole" until next year.

JS19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 03:53 PM
Alberta_OReilly_Fan
Bruin fan since 1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPV View Post
What would it take, a mid tier prospect (Hamill), and/or a draft pick (3rd)?

I would think New Jersey would like to do it because it would free up cap space for them to sign Parise. Boston could do it because they are loaded with cap space this year with Savard likely destined for the LTIR list, and another veteran like Rolston would help their young line-up.

Rolston would look pretty good on Boston's third line with Kelly & Peverley and his contract is expiring at the end of the year, so he'd be off the books before the B's need to worry about extending a few players next season.

Maybe I just wish Brian never left Boston after the lock out, but I'd like to bring him back!!
good idea... bad timing... boston doesnt need a stop gap to start the season. there are kids to trot out there and give a battle field test to

now come back at deadline time if savard is still out and seguin/caron/pouliet arent cutting it and theres definitely room for a rolston type for the playoff run

Alberta_OReilly_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 03:54 PM
Cyris
Global Moderator
The one who knocks!

vCash: 1269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Ahriman View Post
Thankz.

So yea if no one wanted the guy at half his salary, I sure don't see anyone giving up assets to acquire him at full price.

Cyris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 03:55 PM
slackerracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS19 View Post
Didn't someone on the Bruins board or here recently post that Chiarelli wasn't going to bring in more salary, because of the fact that he predicts the salary cap going down? (never mind the fact that Rolston has a year left on his contract). If so, then Peter Chiarelli is pretty much done with his off-season and awaits the deadline

I don't see why he wouldn't rely on his prospect pool and players he already has to fill up minor holes. I'm no Bruins fan, but Rolston would be going a step backwards and displace their "roster hole" until next year.
Uhh Rolston does not have a year left after this coming season, he is a FA come July 1st next season.

slackerracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 03:57 PM
apice3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyris View Post
Thankz.

So yea if no one wanted the guy at half his salary, I sure don't see anyone giving up assets to acquire him at full price.
Rolston with 2 goals @ 2 years, 5 per is different than Rolston with 12 goals @ 1 year, 5 per.

apice3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 07:12 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
He's no longer immovable, because this is the last year of his deal, but I don't think any team would take him without sending back salary or requiring payment for the salary dump. At this point it's better to wait until his contract expires.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 08:26 PM
FanHabtic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
He's no longer immovable, because this is the last year of his deal, but I don't think any team would take him without sending back salary or requiring payment for the salary dump. At this point it's better to wait until his contract expires.
At this point you have no choice but to ride out his contract. Unless you are willing to sacrifice a high end prospect.

Its like beating a dead horse in here. Rolston has negative value.

FanHabtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 08:35 PM
JerseyGuy276
An American Outlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanHabtic View Post
At this point you have no choice but to ride out his contract. Unless you are willing to sacrifice a high end prospect.

AH, there you are! We were awaiting your arrival.

JerseyGuy276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 08:38 PM
FanHabtic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGuy276 View Post
AH, there you are! We were awaiting your arrival.
Its good to see you too buddy!

FanHabtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 08:46 PM
JerseyGuy276
An American Outlaw

Quote:
Its good to see you too buddy!
I can't say the feeling is mutual.

JerseyGuy276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 08:50 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
At the deadline, Rolston's salary will be less relevant. If Lou wants to move him then, he can get some value for him.

I don't think he'd make it through re-entry waivers this season.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 09:44 PM
PADevil3034
Mooooooooooooooooose

For what you offered, yes, in a heartbeat.

I'm just not so sure Boston has room (on the roster and with the cap) for him. He'd be a great asset for them though, he really plays "Bruins hockey"

PADevil3034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 09:46 PM
PADevil3034
Mooooooooooooooooose

Quote:

You're ridiculous.

PADevil3034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 09:53 PM
SPV
Zoinks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Ahriman View Post
Boston has no need for Rolston nor the cap space:

- at this moment, Boston has 20 players signed, counting Savard, and $8.7M in cap space

- Marchand will get at least $3M

-no words so far about cap penalty, which we will have without doubt, certainly will be less than last year, a good bet would be $0.8/0.9M

- we need a 7th defenceman, let's assume the option is Kampfer (cap hit $0.85M)

- we need a 13th forward, who will be Caron ($1.1M), Knight ($0.72) or Spooner ($0.72M)

So, keeping all these things in mind, we have, in fact, more or less $2.8-3.4M in cap space.
That's all counting Savard though. I think most of us on the board agree that it's a long shot we see Marc in black & gold this season.

I'll agree it is probably better to wait until the deadline, or at least until camp to see what we have though. I really hope Spooner can make the roster this year. I just would have preferred Rolston over Pouliot; maybe I'll be proven wrong though!!

SPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 10:33 PM
Lord Ahriman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPV View Post
That's all counting Savard though. I think most of us on the board agree that it's a long shot we see Marc in black & gold this season.

I'll agree it is probably better to wait until the deadline, or at least until camp to see what we have though. I really hope Spooner can make the roster this year. I just would have preferred Rolston over Pouliot; maybe I'll be proven wrong though!!
Counting Savard's money in order to acquire Rolston is a totally bad management. You would need to place Savard on LTIR, doing this, no money will be banked, meaning much less money to spend at the deadline ($2.5M in acquisitions, tops) and what would happen after the season, is exactly what Chia is avoiding: another cap penalty, which would be terrible, because we have 2 core players to sign.

As I said before, no need for Rolston and no cap space.