HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How would you react if Alexei Yashin were to sign with the Isles

View Poll Results: How would you react if Alexei Yashin were to sign with the Isles
The Day Garth Snow became GM (see "5 years ago today" for forum) 33 21.71%
I would be fine with this signing 62 40.79%
I would be ecstatic 11 7.24%
I would flip a lid 46 30.26%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-22-2011, 07:36 PM
  #101
Gleb2006
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 307
vCash: 500
I wouldnt be ecstatic per se, but I'd be quite happy as long as the contract is cheap and incentive based, let Nino spend another year in the WHL, i dont see how over development will hurt him any

Gleb2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 07:44 PM
  #102
Noreaster96
Registered User
 
Noreaster96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,391
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gleb2006 View Post
I wouldnt be ecstatic per se, but I'd be quite happy as long as the contract is cheap and incentive based, let Nino spend another year in the WHL, i dont see how over development will hurt him any
This. Whats the big deal if he plays 3rd line minutes? Who knows, maybe he can put in a few. Worse comes to worst you just put him on waivers and hes gone... And to all those people who say they are going to vote no if they bring him back... just . I wouldnt be thrilled myself, but I wouldnt want to banish the franchise from the Island either...

Noreaster96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 07:52 PM
  #103
MikeyMike01
Hurray
 
MikeyMike01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 6,449
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to MikeyMike01 Send a message via MSN to MikeyMike01
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noreaster96 View Post
This. Whats the big deal if he plays 3rd line minutes? Who knows, maybe he can put in a few. Worse comes to worst you just put him on waivers and hes gone... And to all those people who say they are going to vote no if they bring him back... just . I wouldnt be thrilled myself, but I wouldnt want to banish the franchise from the Island either...
If they bring back Yashin there is no hope. Voting No would force Wang to sell.

MikeyMike01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 07:58 PM
  #104
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Germany
Posts: 12,707
vCash: 500
I'm surprised this is news whatsoever.

Timing is PERHAPS not the best, but if any fans were to vote no because of confirmed stories that GM Snow does his job by talking with agents about any player who could at least theoretically add to the attack... well, then Long Island doesn't deserve to have this team.

Terrible, terrible reason not to vote in favor of this arena and with it, the retainment of the NYI on Long Island.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 08:08 PM
  #105
giddy up*
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,973
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
I'm surprised this is news whatsoever.

Timing is PERHAPS not the best, but if any fans were to vote no because of confirmed stories that GM Snow does his job by talking with agents about any player who could at least theoretically add to the attack... well, then Long Island doesn't deserve to have this team.

Terrible, terrible reason not to vote in favor of this arena and with it, the retainment of the NYI on Long Island.
+1

The vote is to keep the islanders here until 2045. Looong after Yashin would be gone. This is to keep the Islanders on LI long term, dont forget that.

giddy up* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 08:09 PM
  #106
Noreaster96
Registered User
 
Noreaster96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,391
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyMike01 View Post
If they bring back Yashin there is no hope. Voting No would force Wang to sell.
Can someone please post the image of Captain Hyperbole? I am rather new and not sure how to do so...although I feel it is extremely fitting for such an occasion

Sersiouly, you make it seem like signing Yashin will accelerate Global Warming, , attract a Meteor the size of Texas towards the Earth that contains all of the most deadly flu viruses in the history of the earth and lead to the resurrection of all carnivorous dinosaurs (which also, by the way, have gained the ability to kick puppies)

Noreaster96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 08:39 PM
  #107
ocarina
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,418
vCash: 500
Rangers fan coming in peace, but I just wanted to say that I am very surprised at the poll results. I would of imagine there would be an overwhelming negative response to bringing Yashin back.

Look, I don't mean to start a pissing match or anything, but wasn't Yashin relegated to the fourth line during his tenure? Didn't Ryan Smyth call him out for not playing with urgency? Doesn't seem very smart to bring him back, even if it is just to reach the floor. It just seems to send out a very bad message to me. There aren't any other 35+ players out there who they could do this with?

ocarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 09:25 PM
  #108
Kevin27nyi
Moderator
#21KO
 
Kevin27nyi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 10,082
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester9881 View Post
If it happens, there is no more defending the Isles management. I go from defending the new arena plan..... to pushing Wang to sell.

At that point, I'd rather the Isles get sold and move to Guam than Charles Wang retain ownership of the team. And I fully mean that.
While I don't agree with the idea of wanting to get rid of the team for this, I'm pissed because this isn't a Garth move. There is no ****ing way he wants Yashin. Wang helps out his buddy and saves money via performance bonuses pushing the cap up. I thought this guy was out of the hockey ops but I guess not.

Kevin27nyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 10:00 PM
  #109
Dutch Frost
Battle Level
 
Dutch Frost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Queens, NY
Posts: 3,132
vCash: 500
Listen Yashin was bought out because We wanted to appease Ryan Smyth and hoped that he stayed with us. Ryan left us for less money and costed us an all star leaving the team with a huge divorce settlement.

I have always blamed Ryan Smyth for the Yashin buy out and I think Alexei on this team would be a bigger plus to the team then Doug Weight playing.

Sign him for cheap with bonus incentives, I gaurantee you the minute he scores a few goals all is forgiven... THIS IS STILL NEW YORK... WE LOVE WINNERS!!!

Dutch Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 10:30 PM
  #110
Hockify
Registered User
 
Hockify's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 1,781
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocarina View Post
Rangers fan coming in peace, but I just wanted to say that I am very surprised at the poll results. I would of imagine there would be an overwhelming negative response to bringing Yashin back.

Look, I don't mean to start a pissing match or anything, but wasn't Yashin relegated to the fourth line during his tenure? Didn't Ryan Smyth call him out for not playing with urgency? Doesn't seem very smart to bring him back, even if it is just to reach the floor. It just seems to send out a very bad message to me. There aren't any other 35+ players out there who they could do this with?
? No.

Hockify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 10:41 PM
  #111
landfill
Registered User
 
landfill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 934
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockify View Post
? No.
I think he played fourth line minutes in the playoffs his last year.

landfill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 10:42 PM
  #112
periferal
Registered User
 
periferal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 5,809
vCash: 500
What doesn't add up to me is why there is an actual QUOTE FROM SNOW regarding interest in Yashin. He rarely talks after he signs a player and never before about one.

"I've had discussions with both Mark and Alexei," Snow said when reached by phone Friday. "I'd rather keep those conversations private, but Alexei has been skating at our practice rink in Syosset and he looks great. I've been on record saying I'd explore all options and any player that would improve our team and help us make that step."

Something seems incredibly unnatural about this. Incredibly.

periferal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 10:55 PM
  #113
M Moulson Ale
Brockoli
 
M Moulson Ale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 2,756
vCash: 500
Day 1 Results

After day one, it is 42 to 35 in favor of no problem with Yashin coming here
Not surprised to see a surprise

M Moulson Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 10:57 PM
  #114
NYI JT91
Registered User
 
NYI JT91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Mastic, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,028
vCash: 50
wouldnt mind seeing a 1 year deal on the 2nd line till strome is ready...hes still a 60 pt player and we can use it...forget the drama that comes with it. it will make the team better having a player off his skill even if its slowing


Last edited by NYI JT91: 07-22-2011 at 11:23 PM.
NYI JT91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 11:34 PM
  #115
Doug Height
Okposwag
 
Doug Height's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: LI
Country: United States
Posts: 6,425
vCash: 500
I would be pissed.

We are finally starting to shake off the label of laughing stock of the league, this would put us right back to the top of the list.

Doug Height is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 11:41 PM
  #116
A Pointed Stick
Can You Believe It?
 
A Pointed Stick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 10,174
vCash: 250
I'd be extremely upset. The bigger picture would mean that Wang was making hockey decisions again, and that would be a tragedy.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 12:01 AM
  #117
NYI JT91
Registered User
 
NYI JT91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Mastic, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,028
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Height View Post
I would be pissed.

We are finally starting to shake off the label of laughing stock of the league, this would put us right back to the top of the list.
Yes people would be laughing but in a couple years no one will be so who cares. Yashin would be an offensive upgrade that will help us. If we never signed him in the first place no one would be opposed to this..its all about if he can still contribute and if Snow says he looks "great" then I will trust in him. Look at the team not the media or the past a 1 year deal until Strome is ready is IMO not ideal but is an improvement (for 1 year) anything more and im against it. Offensivly he will help us make the playoffs more of a reality this year. Even if we throw him on wing even better less defensive responsibility and you have neislen feeding him passes. It really cant hurt. **** what everyone else thinks..I promise if he can put up 50-60 points and contribute on a 2 pp unit, it would be beneficiary. just my 2 cents. Plus who knows maybe he will play his first year back in the NHL like hes got something to prove and maybe just maybe he will impress.

NYI JT91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 12:07 AM
  #118
Doug Height
Okposwag
 
Doug Height's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: LI
Country: United States
Posts: 6,425
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islesallday View Post
Yes people would be laughing but in a couple years no one will be so who cares. Yashin would be an offensive upgrade that will help us. If we never signed him in the first place no one would be opposed to this..its all about if he can still contribute and if Snow says he looks "great" then I will trust in him. Look at the team not the media or the past a 1 year deal until Strome is ready is IMO not ideal but is an improvement (for 1 year) anything more and im against it. Offensivly he will help us make the playoffs more of a reality this year. Even if we throw him on wing even better less defensive responsibility and you have neislen feeding him passes. It really cant hurt. **** what everyone else thinks..I promise if he can but up 50-60 points and contribute on a 2 pp unit, it would be beneficiary. just my 2 cents
If we ever want people to actually play for our team, whether it be via UFA or retaining our own players, we should care about our image.

I don't think Yashin is going to make this team much better, it's really not worth taking a big hit to our already bad image IMO.

There isn't even a spot for him in the top 6.

Doug Height is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 12:12 AM
  #119
NYI JT91
Registered User
 
NYI JT91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Mastic, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,028
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Height View Post
If we ever want people to actually play for our team, whether it be via UFA or retaining our own players, we should care about our image.

I don't think Yashin is going to make this team much better, it's really not worth taking a big hit to our already bad image IMO.

There isn't even a spot for him in the top 6.
I totally understand what your saying but say just say he does okay and we make the playoffs and we get a new building, then yash is gone after this year...all would be forgotten. As for room in the top 6 I agree its hard to argue hes better then anyone... Maybe we sign yash and trade PAP or something of the nature in a package for that dman trade everyone is waiting for and yashin is our hold over till the ninos and kabanovs and stromes are ready next year?

NYI JT91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 12:12 AM
  #120
Yashin for President
Registered User
 
Yashin for President's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Bestchester
Posts: 1,133
vCash: 500
All joking aside, the Islanders will be taken seriously by FA's when we start winning. End of story.

Yashin for President is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 12:15 AM
  #121
kmo429
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 321
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin27NYI View Post
Those players for the most part are good. I mean seriously, how can you compare Jagr and Yashin? And yes, the Flyers were laughed at for bringing in Zherdev and look how that worked out for them.
No the Flyers werent. And Yashin was and probably is better than all the players I mentioned biut Jagr. And Yashin was a legit 1st liner his entire career really, and was until the day we bought him out. Yes hes 37.. But Alfredsson still produces.. Andrew Brunette still produces.. mark Recchi produced until he retired at 44, Selanne still produces... etc. 37, for a player as talented as Alexei Yashin.. is not that old.

kmo429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 12:20 AM
  #122
NYI JT91
Registered User
 
NYI JT91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Mastic, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,028
vCash: 50
Moulson - Tavares - Grabner
Yashin - Nielsen - Okposo
Bailey - Reasoner - Comeau
Martin - Gillies - Hunter

Move PAP and pick for a top 4 dman ?

I know my lines are off postion wise but you get the Idea the next season Yash is gone Nino Strome step in and maybe kabanov petrov etc...Idk im not saying its a great idea but I wouldnt say its an awful idea...just for a year and if he bombs...waivers.

NYI JT91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 12:22 AM
  #123
BelovedIsles
Registered User
 
BelovedIsles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In Your head [;
Country: United States
Posts: 10,057
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BelovedIsles
The most disappointing aspect would be the intention of signing him. As others mentioned, the intention seems to be a cap floor mitigator with yet another bonus-laden contract. It's sad that a franchise would even entertain resorting to that kind of level, a guy they are currently paying NOT to play. Could Snow not find another option to reach the floor, sheesh.

Also smells of spoils system.

BelovedIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 12:23 AM
  #124
NYI JT91
Registered User
 
NYI JT91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Mastic, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,028
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yashin for President View Post
All joking aside, the Islanders will be taken seriously by FA's when we start winning. End of story.
Agreed...all that matters.

NYI JT91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 12:30 AM
  #125
Gleb2006
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 307
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islesallday View Post
Moulson - Tavares - Grabner
Yashin - Nielsen - Okposo
Bailey - Reasoner - Comeau
Martin - Gillies - Hunter

Move PAP and pick for a top 4 dman ?

I know my lines are off postion wise but you get the Idea the next season Yash is gone Nino Strome step in and maybe kabanov petrov etc...Idk im not saying its a great idea but I wouldnt say its an awful idea...just for a year and if he bombs...waivers.
I doubt we'd move PAP, just because teams understand that his value without Tavares is atrocious. If anything we move Comeau and end up with something along the liens of

Moulson - Tavares - PAP
Grabner - Nielsen - Okposo
Yashin - Bailey - Hunter/Martin
Haley - Reasoner - Hunter/Martin

and in a year

Strome (Possible that he will be ready after another year in the minors) - Tavares - Nino (I think he can handle first line after another year in the WHL/possibly a call up toward the end of the year?)
Grabner - Nielsen - Okposo
Moulson - Bailey - Martin
Haley - Cizikas/Reasoner - Rakh

More or less

Gleb2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:29 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.