HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How would you react if Alexei Yashin were to sign with the Isles

View Poll Results: How would you react if Alexei Yashin were to sign with the Isles
The Day Garth Snow became GM (see "5 years ago today" for forum) 33 21.71%
I would be fine with this signing 62 40.79%
I would be ecstatic 11 7.24%
I would flip a lid 46 30.26%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-22-2011, 07:36 PM
Gleb2006

vCash: 500
I wouldnt be ecstatic per se, but I'd be quite happy as long as the contract is cheap and incentive based, let Nino spend another year in the WHL, i dont see how over development will hurt him any

Gleb2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 07:44 PM
Noreaster96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gleb2006 View Post
I wouldnt be ecstatic per se, but I'd be quite happy as long as the contract is cheap and incentive based, let Nino spend another year in the WHL, i dont see how over development will hurt him any
This. Whats the big deal if he plays 3rd line minutes? Who knows, maybe he can put in a few. Worse comes to worst you just put him on waivers and hes gone... And to all those people who say they are going to vote no if they bring him back... just . I wouldnt be thrilled myself, but I wouldnt want to banish the franchise from the Island either...

Noreaster96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 07:52 PM
MikeyMike01
Hurray

Send a message via AIM to MikeyMike01 Send a message via MSN to MikeyMike01
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noreaster96 View Post
This. Whats the big deal if he plays 3rd line minutes? Who knows, maybe he can put in a few. Worse comes to worst you just put him on waivers and hes gone... And to all those people who say they are going to vote no if they bring him back... just . I wouldnt be thrilled myself, but I wouldnt want to banish the franchise from the Island either...
If they bring back Yashin there is no hope. Voting No would force Wang to sell.

MikeyMike01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 07:58 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

I'm surprised this is news whatsoever.

Timing is PERHAPS not the best, but if any fans were to vote no because of confirmed stories that GM Snow does his job by talking with agents about any player who could at least theoretically add to the attack... well, then Long Island doesn't deserve to have this team.

Terrible, terrible reason not to vote in favor of this arena and with it, the retainment of the NYI on Long Island.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 08:08 PM
giddy up*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
I'm surprised this is news whatsoever.

Timing is PERHAPS not the best, but if any fans were to vote no because of confirmed stories that GM Snow does his job by talking with agents about any player who could at least theoretically add to the attack... well, then Long Island doesn't deserve to have this team.

Terrible, terrible reason not to vote in favor of this arena and with it, the retainment of the NYI on Long Island.
+1

The vote is to keep the islanders here until 2045. Looong after Yashin would be gone. This is to keep the Islanders on LI long term, dont forget that.

giddy up* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 08:09 PM
Noreaster96

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyMike01 View Post
If they bring back Yashin there is no hope. Voting No would force Wang to sell.
Can someone please post the image of Captain Hyperbole? I am rather new and not sure how to do so...although I feel it is extremely fitting for such an occasion

Sersiouly, you make it seem like signing Yashin will accelerate Global Warming, , attract a Meteor the size of Texas towards the Earth that contains all of the most deadly flu viruses in the history of the earth and lead to the resurrection of all carnivorous dinosaurs (which also, by the way, have gained the ability to kick puppies)

Noreaster96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 08:39 PM
ocarina

Rangers fan coming in peace, but I just wanted to say that I am very surprised at the poll results. I would of imagine there would be an overwhelming negative response to bringing Yashin back.

Look, I don't mean to start a pissing match or anything, but wasn't Yashin relegated to the fourth line during his tenure? Didn't Ryan Smyth call him out for not playing with urgency? Doesn't seem very smart to bring him back, even if it is just to reach the floor. It just seems to send out a very bad message to me. There aren't any other 35+ players out there who they could do this with?

ocarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 09:25 PM
Kevin27nyi
#21KO

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester9881 View Post
If it happens, there is no more defending the Isles management. I go from defending the new arena plan..... to pushing Wang to sell.

At that point, I'd rather the Isles get sold and move to Guam than Charles Wang retain ownership of the team. And I fully mean that.
While I don't agree with the idea of wanting to get rid of the team for this, I'm pissed because this isn't a Garth move. There is no ****ing way he wants Yashin. Wang helps out his buddy and saves money via performance bonuses pushing the cap up. I thought this guy was out of the hockey ops but I guess not.

Kevin27nyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 10:00 PM
Dutch Frost
Battle Level

Listen Yashin was bought out because We wanted to appease Ryan Smyth and hoped that he stayed with us. Ryan left us for less money and costed us an all star leaving the team with a huge divorce settlement.

I have always blamed Ryan Smyth for the Yashin buy out and I think Alexei on this team would be a bigger plus to the team then Doug Weight playing.

Sign him for cheap with bonus incentives, I gaurantee you the minute he scores a few goals all is forgiven... THIS IS STILL NEW YORK... WE LOVE WINNERS!!!

Dutch Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 10:30 PM
Hockify

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocarina View Post
Rangers fan coming in peace, but I just wanted to say that I am very surprised at the poll results. I would of imagine there would be an overwhelming negative response to bringing Yashin back.

Look, I don't mean to start a pissing match or anything, but wasn't Yashin relegated to the fourth line during his tenure? Didn't Ryan Smyth call him out for not playing with urgency? Doesn't seem very smart to bring him back, even if it is just to reach the floor. It just seems to send out a very bad message to me. There aren't any other 35+ players out there who they could do this with?
? No.

Hockify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 10:41 PM
landfill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockify View Post
? No.
I think he played fourth line minutes in the playoffs his last year.

landfill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 10:42 PM
periferal

What doesn't add up to me is why there is an actual QUOTE FROM SNOW regarding interest in Yashin. He rarely talks after he signs a player and never before about one.

"I've had discussions with both Mark and Alexei," Snow said when reached by phone Friday. "I'd rather keep those conversations private, but Alexei has been skating at our practice rink in Syosset and he looks great. I've been on record saying I'd explore all options and any player that would improve our team and help us make that step."

Something seems incredibly unnatural about this. Incredibly.

periferal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 10:55 PM
M Moulson Ale
Brockoli

Day 1 Results

After day one, it is 42 to 35 in favor of no problem with Yashin coming here
Not surprised to see a surprise

M Moulson Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 10:57 PM
NYI JT91

wouldnt mind seeing a 1 year deal on the 2nd line till strome is ready...hes still a 60 pt player and we can use it...forget the drama that comes with it. it will make the team better having a player off his skill even if its slowing

Last edited by NYI JT91: 07-22-2011 at 11:23 PM.
NYI JT91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 11:34 PM
Doug Height
Okposwag

I would be pissed.

We are finally starting to shake off the label of laughing stock of the league, this would put us right back to the top of the list.

Doug Height is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 11:41 PM
A Pointed Stick
Can You Believe It?

vCash: 250
I'd be extremely upset. The bigger picture would mean that Wang was making hockey decisions again, and that would be a tragedy.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 12:01 AM
NYI JT91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Height View Post
I would be pissed.

We are finally starting to shake off the label of laughing stock of the league, this would put us right back to the top of the list.
Yes people would be laughing but in a couple years no one will be so who cares. Yashin would be an offensive upgrade that will help us. If we never signed him in the first place no one would be opposed to this..its all about if he can still contribute and if Snow says he looks "great" then I will trust in him. Look at the team not the media or the past a 1 year deal until Strome is ready is IMO not ideal but is an improvement (for 1 year) anything more and im against it. Offensivly he will help us make the playoffs more of a reality this year. Even if we throw him on wing even better less defensive responsibility and you have neislen feeding him passes. It really cant hurt. **** what everyone else thinks..I promise if he can put up 50-60 points and contribute on a 2 pp unit, it would be beneficiary. just my 2 cents. Plus who knows maybe he will play his first year back in the NHL like hes got something to prove and maybe just maybe he will impress.

Old
07-23-2011, 12:07 AM
Doug Height
Okposwag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islesallday View Post
Yes people would be laughing but in a couple years no one will be so who cares. Yashin would be an offensive upgrade that will help us. If we never signed him in the first place no one would be opposed to this..its all about if he can still contribute and if Snow says he looks "great" then I will trust in him. Look at the team not the media or the past a 1 year deal until Strome is ready is IMO not ideal but is an improvement (for 1 year) anything more and im against it. Offensivly he will help us make the playoffs more of a reality this year. Even if we throw him on wing even better less defensive responsibility and you have neislen feeding him passes. It really cant hurt. **** what everyone else thinks..I promise if he can but up 50-60 points and contribute on a 2 pp unit, it would be beneficiary. just my 2 cents
If we ever want people to actually play for our team, whether it be via UFA or retaining our own players, we should care about our image.

I don't think Yashin is going to make this team much better, it's really not worth taking a big hit to our already bad image IMO.

There isn't even a spot for him in the top 6.

Doug Height is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 12:12 AM
NYI JT91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Height View Post
If we ever want people to actually play for our team, whether it be via UFA or retaining our own players, we should care about our image.

I don't think Yashin is going to make this team much better, it's really not worth taking a big hit to our already bad image IMO.

There isn't even a spot for him in the top 6.
I totally understand what your saying but say just say he does okay and we make the playoffs and we get a new building, then yash is gone after this year...all would be forgotten. As for room in the top 6 I agree its hard to argue hes better then anyone... Maybe we sign yash and trade PAP or something of the nature in a package for that dman trade everyone is waiting for and yashin is our hold over till the ninos and kabanovs and stromes are ready next year?

Old
07-23-2011, 12:12 AM
Yashin for President

All joking aside, the Islanders will be taken seriously by FA's when we start winning. End of story.

Yashin for President is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 12:15 AM
kmo429

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin27NYI View Post
Those players for the most part are good. I mean seriously, how can you compare Jagr and Yashin? And yes, the Flyers were laughed at for bringing in Zherdev and look how that worked out for them.
No the Flyers werent. And Yashin was and probably is better than all the players I mentioned biut Jagr. And Yashin was a legit 1st liner his entire career really, and was until the day we bought him out. Yes hes 37.. But Alfredsson still produces.. Andrew Brunette still produces.. mark Recchi produced until he retired at 44, Selanne still produces... etc. 37, for a player as talented as Alexei Yashin.. is not that old.

kmo429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 12:20 AM
NYI JT91

Moulson - Tavares - Grabner
Yashin - Nielsen - Okposo
Bailey - Reasoner - Comeau
Martin - Gillies - Hunter

Move PAP and pick for a top 4 dman ?

I know my lines are off postion wise but you get the Idea the next season Yash is gone Nino Strome step in and maybe kabanov petrov etc...Idk im not saying its a great idea but I wouldnt say its an awful idea...just for a year and if he bombs...waivers.

Old
07-23-2011, 12:22 AM
BelovedIsles

Send a message via AIM to BelovedIsles
The most disappointing aspect would be the intention of signing him. As others mentioned, the intention seems to be a cap floor mitigator with yet another bonus-laden contract. It's sad that a franchise would even entertain resorting to that kind of level, a guy they are currently paying NOT to play. Could Snow not find another option to reach the floor, sheesh.

Also smells of spoils system.

BelovedIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 12:23 AM
NYI JT91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yashin for President View Post
All joking aside, the Islanders will be taken seriously by FA's when we start winning. End of story.
Agreed...all that matters.

Old
07-23-2011, 12:30 AM
Gleb2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islesallday View Post
Moulson - Tavares - Grabner
Yashin - Nielsen - Okposo
Bailey - Reasoner - Comeau
Martin - Gillies - Hunter

Move PAP and pick for a top 4 dman ?

I know my lines are off postion wise but you get the Idea the next season Yash is gone Nino Strome step in and maybe kabanov petrov etc...Idk im not saying its a great idea but I wouldnt say its an awful idea...just for a year and if he bombs...waivers.
I doubt we'd move PAP, just because teams understand that his value without Tavares is atrocious. If anything we move Comeau and end up with something along the liens of

Moulson - Tavares - PAP
Grabner - Nielsen - Okposo
Yashin - Bailey - Hunter/Martin
Haley - Reasoner - Hunter/Martin

and in a year

Strome (Possible that he will be ready after another year in the minors) - Tavares - Nino (I think he can handle first line after another year in the WHL/possibly a call up toward the end of the year?)
Grabner - Nielsen - Okposo
Moulson - Bailey - Martin
Haley - Cizikas/Reasoner - Rakh

More or less

Gleb2006 is offline   Reply With Quote