HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Skates for Toddlers

Old
07-21-2011, 10:12 AM
Passthedonuts

vCash: 500
Skates for Toddlers

My 2 year old really wants to start skating and I'm debating if I want to buy him a pair of skates or just rent at the public rinks at first.

Most large hockey/sports stores don't seem to carry skates his size, but can special order them.

Also not sure to start him on bobskates or standard skates.

I'd prefer to buy him a pair because we can use them on the outdoor rinks here in the winter (can't rent there), but the main disadvantage is he's likely to outgrow them after the year.

I know some manufacturers make adjustable starter skates for kids - so something like this might be an option.

Any hockey dads with recommendations on what to do?

Passthedonuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2011, 10:18 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

The ones I got for my toddler are the Bauer adjustable skates. I was told by the salesman that's what he got for his kid. They worked fine last year, I basically just held him while skating and then let him coast along with me while skating. We'll see how they work next winter.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2011, 11:53 PM
AIREAYE

What size did he size up to be?

Our store has this Junior skate trade-in program where you get 50% return credit if you trade in a pair of junior skates up to $100 towards a new pair.

If not you could try looking at Play It Again for used kids skates, they have shelves and shelves of them.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 11:32 AM
Crosbyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
What size did he size up to be?

Our store has this Junior skate trade-in program where you get 50% return credit if you trade in a pair of junior skates up to $100 towards a new pair.

If not you could try looking at Play It Again for used kids skates, they have shelves and shelves of them.
Sport Chek does this and often has lots of used skates on the racks shortly after hockey season starts and well before outdoor ice is available. They are usually in very good condition though not always.

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 02:15 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Well my kid is in size 6 now, was size 5 last winter. We got him the smallest ones available (size 6-7 adjustable). I don't think he'll be able to fit into any real hockey skates until a year from this coming winter anyway, so I'm not terribly concerned.

Also, the Bauer adjustable youth skates cost $20 and you'll probably get a free sharpening, so it's not that bad even if he only skates a few times.

And don't get double runner skates, get the normal ones and skate with him or bring a chair out on the ice

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 10:06 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosbyfan View Post
Sport Chek does this and often has lots of used skates on the racks shortly after hockey season starts and well before outdoor ice is available. They are usually in very good condition though not always.
We're affiliated and under the same corporate banner

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 10:31 PM
mbhhofr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
And don't get double runner skates
I learned how to skate on double runners (bob skates) when I was four years old. Used them for a year. They helped me with my balance. I didn't need my dad or a chair to help me around the rink.

mbhhofr is offline   Reply With Quote