HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers re-sign Ryan Callahan [3 years, $4.275M per]

Old
07-27-2011, 09:31 AM
MooseMcD
Rookie User

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
The concept of "zamboni grease" (as if it's somehow a special substance different from any other kind of grease) made me chuckle.
I think it's less special than regular grease. Otherwise, who would give it up for that hold out bum Dubinksy?

MooseMcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 09:35 AM
bubba5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
No incentive? How about playing in a place he loves, in front of fans that adore him? How about captaining an original six team with a bright future?

I think the Rangers will give him $4.5-4.85MM per year for 5 or 6 years, throw in the benefits he'll have as a player and a resident of NYC, and reasonable proximity to his family Upstate, and I can't imagine the possibility of an extra million or two over 5/6 years is going to make him leave.
That's all nice and everything but the allmighty dollar rules 90% of the time. Also, last I looked Chicago, Detroit, Boston are also original 6 teams which he would thrive in those cities.

bubba5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 09:45 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypredsfan View Post
Trust me, our entire fanbase is freaking out over the possibility of Weber even heading to arbitration next tuesday. If Weber goes to arbitration, there will be a lot of pissed off people. That doesn't bode well for either side. Is that not how you all feel about Callahan? Maybe he signs before the hearing tomorrow, but what if he goes to the hearing and only gets a 1 year deal? Doesn't that make you feel as if he doesn't want to be a Ranger?
There's no doubt in my mind that Callahan wants a long term deal, that he wants to remain a Ranger. If he goes to arbitration, it won't be because he doesn't want to be here long term. It will be because they just couldn't work out the details of a long term agreement. In that case, I would expect him to sign an extension some time after January 1st.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 09:55 AM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
There's no doubt in my mind that Callahan wants a long term deal, that he wants to remain a Ranger. If he goes to arbitration, it won't be because he doesn't want to be here long term. It will be because they just couldn't work out the details of a long term agreement. In that case, I would expect him to sign an extension some time after January 1st.
Not saying you're wrong, but I don't understand how you have all of May, June, and July to work out a long-term deal and you can't get one done...

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 10:00 AM
bubba5

If he does not sign a long term deal now and goes to Arbitration, there is no incentive for him to have contract talks until next July 1st, unless he gets from the Rangers what he expects to get on the open market which will be over 5 Million a year.

Old
07-27-2011, 10:07 AM
JeffMangum
Ra shi da

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
I think Sting might just be Ryan Callahan's agent and based on the way he's overvaluing him (he actually called him a top 15-20 forward in the league) he's going to arbitration.
Top 15-20 'all-around' forwards.

I'm not really a fan of arbitrary labels such as 'top-10', and whatnot, but Callahan is certainly among the best when talking about his overall package.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 10:17 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba5 View Post
If he does not sign a long term deal now and goes to Arbitration, there is no incentive for him to have contract talks until next July 1st, unless he gets from the Rangers what he expects to get on the open market which will be over 5 Million a year.
Incentive is that the CBA would be expiring, and no one knows how much money the players will be giving up in the next deal.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 10:20 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
That's all nice and everything but the allmighty dollar rules 90% of the time. Also, last I looked Chicago, Detroit, Boston are also original 6 teams which he would thrive in those cities.
I keep hearing "it's all about the money" every time a player needs to be resigned, but how many of them have we lost because we couldn't come to terms on a deal?

It's funny, because last time I checked, Callahan has never played for any other original six team, and doesn't currently live in any of those cities. Nor is he all but guaranteed to be a captain on those teams. So.. how is that countering my point?

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 10:36 AM
bubba5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
I keep hearing "it's all about the money" every time a player needs to be resigned, but how many of them have we lost because we couldn't come to terms on a deal?

It's funny, because last time I checked, Callahan has never played for any other original six team, and doesn't currently live in any of those cities. Nor is he all but guaranteed to be a captain on those teams. So.. how is that countering my point?
You don't think he would live in those cities if the money was right!!!!And don't overrate the captain thing either. The only risk Cally has by not agreeing to a long term deal now is by suffering a major injury.

Old
07-27-2011, 10:44 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by HagelinForPresident View Post
Not saying you're wrong, but I don't understand how you have all of May, June, and July to work out a long-term deal and you can't get one done...
Probably because they don't talk every day, particularly in the beginning. It seems they don't even get serious about it until it gets close to crunch time in many cases. Look at the NFL. They could have been negotiating for the last year, but waited until the lockout to really get things in motion.

Basically, unless both sides agree on the first offer, they are both going to wait as long as they can to get the best deal they can.

Old
07-27-2011, 10:58 AM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HagelinForPresident View Post
Pretty much what GAG said.

These types of deals rarely ever get done until they have to be. It's just the way it is. There's no pressure before that point to get it done and there's other things that both sides are dealing with that push it to the back burner.

I still believe Cally will get done tomorrow.

I think it will be the exact same thing that happened to Dubi. We'll head into tomorrow thinking that we're going to arbitration, then we'll find out around 10:30 or 11 that they pushed it back a bit and came to terms in the morning.

If it does go to arbitration I still believe that he will be a Ranger beyond next season. I just can't fathom anything else. Unless he's just asking for ridiculous money and he's sure he'll get it on the open market.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 12:03 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
You don't think he would live in those cities if the money was right!!!!And don't overrate the captain thing either. The only risk Cally has by not agreeing to a long term deal now is by suffering a major injury.
Sure, he could hope that one of those 5 teams gives him $5MM+ on the open market, or he could take a guaranteed contract now and not have to pick up and move to a new city. Sure, he might be forfeiting 3 or 4 hundred thousand a year, but that's worth it to MANY people. I mean, that's what, a 5% difference if he gets $4.5MM per year?

If it was all about the money, why do players bother re-signing with teams at all? By your assessment, the FA market should be teeming with prime talent every summer.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 12:59 PM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

RealKyperNick Kypreos

#NHL news. Hearing #Rangers Ryan Callahan will not being going to an arb hearing as he's settled on signing a new 3 year deal.

I Eat Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 01:00 PM
pwoz

just 3? wtf

pwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 01:01 PM
diehard

NYDNRangers Jesse Spector
Just spoke to Ryan Callahan's agent, Steve Bartlett, who said, "Getting close, but nothing 100% yet."

diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 01:05 PM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

3 years would actually be ok in my book. Gaborik comes off the books that year, and you never know if Cally's body will hold up taking into account his style of play.

Old
07-27-2011, 01:06 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
I was hoping long term, but this may be a blessing in disguise for all of us who wanted to sign him for 5+ years.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 01:06 PM
Levitate

Yeah, not bad. Sure we'd love a real long term deal but it works with the Rangers cap situation and if he earns it, they'll give him the money he deserves at the end of 3 years

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 01:10 PM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

Spector says its done, just waiting on cap numbers now

NYDNRangersJesse Spector

Confirmed that Ryan Callahan deal is now done, as #NYR avoids arbitration with last restricted free agent.

EDIT: Kyper says 3 years, 13 million

RealKyperNick Kypreos

#NHL news. #Rangers Ryan Callahan new 3 year deal is believed to be in the ball park of 13M.

Old
07-27-2011, 01:10 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

I posted before that I expected Callahan to sign a shorter contract than Dubinsky. We all love him, but there is a question of how his body will hold up.

Three years is not bad at all.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 01:11 PM
GAGLine

3 years should keep the cap hit down. I'll take it.

Old
07-27-2011, 01:12 PM
slipknottin

Im thrilled that hes resigned, but 3 year deal seems a bit strange.

Want to know the $$ involved.

slipknottin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 01:12 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Meh. Hoping it's no more than 4.5

Ih8theislanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 01:13 PM
mcsauer2738

3 years says to me that he'll have the same cap hit as dubi, same amount of ufa years bought out. 3 years 4.2 cap hit

mcsauer2738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 01:13 PM
Blueblood 2

Three is cool. Separates him from Dubi.

Blueblood 2 is offline   Reply With Quote