HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Josh Gorges re-signs 1 year, $2.5 M (July 2011)

Closed Thread

Old
07-23-2011, 08:43 AM
Teufelsdreck

vCash: 500
The Habs would retain Price and Subban no matter what. What they do with Gorges will be conditional.

Old
07-23-2011, 08:45 AM
RE-HABS

My thoughts are Habs are going to be in trouble next summer if they let Gorges go to UFA status as they will probably lose him cause of his age and affordability as a number 4 Dman.

Habs reward Markov with three year deal after back to back injury plagued seasons, and then Gorges who has been one of our most consistent players and a leader on the team (and best friend to franchise player Price) gets a one year prove your worth it deal???

Gorges to a 1 year $2.5 deal at 26, and Sabres sign Sekera who is a similar Dman at 25 to a 4 year deal at $2.75 million. Sabres look the brighter of two managements right now.

Old
07-23-2011, 08:51 AM
Aurel Joliat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
No. Just extremely tired of misplaced and misguided alarmists.

The average league salary will be close to 2,5 mil this upcoming season.

OMG, Gorges is paid the league average!

Did you wake-up in 1995 this morning?
Gorges is a 5th or 6th defensive d-men. Yes, he is suppose to be under the league average.

Just look a guy like Ryan Wilson who sign a 1 year 1,25 M contract...

Old
07-23-2011, 08:51 AM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
pretty sure Habs said "look play this year, and if you do as well as you say, we'll give you 4 next off season"

Old
07-23-2011, 08:56 AM
RE-HABS

Don't want to upset anyone or pour fuel on a fire, but can one maybe speculate that Gorges at one year and at an affordable price maybe a valuable trade piece for PG right now and that is why he signed the one year deal?

If Emelin pans out he replaces Gorges, and Diaz is a dark horse too.

Scary thing though, Habs only have two Dmen under contract for next year. One really good vet who has something to prove this year in health in Markov, and one very good youngster who has to prove he can play in the NHL fulltime in Weber....after that we have 3 UFA's in Spacek (who is gone), Gill (who probably retires) and Gorges who maybe a hot Dman on the UFA market. The biggest fish is potential franchise DMan Subban, and then the re-signing of Emelin and Diaz too.

Something tells me PG has something up his sleeve here.

Habs could start the season like this:

Markov - Emelin
Subban - Gill
Weber - Spacek

Diaz has strong camp, Gorges could be out. He could be bait in a deal for another top 6 player?

Old
07-23-2011, 08:58 AM
le_sean

vCash: 612
Omg guys Gorges might leave in the summer just like Markov.

We have a guy who wasn't drafted, got a shot with the Sharks but they didn't really think much of him. Here come the Habs who make a point of acquiring him for a drafted player that was with the team for 10 seasons. They made him more than just a 6th/7th defenceman, he grew and is now a big part of the team.

I would assume because of these factors that there is a mutual interest in a longterm deal after he proves his health.

Old
07-23-2011, 09:03 AM
Gally11

Now hopefully parise goes UFA lol

Old
07-23-2011, 09:04 AM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Omg guys Gorges might leave in the summer just like Markov.

We have a guy who wasn't drafted, got a shot with the Sharks but they didn't really think much of him. Here come the Habs who make a point of acquiring him for a drafted player that was with the team for 10 seasons. They made him more than just a 6th/7th defenceman, he grew and is now a big part of the team.

I would assume because of these factors that there is a mutual interest in a longterm deal after he proves his health.
Only good thing with PG over Silent Bob, PG negotiates during the season. So if Habs think they can't sign Gorges, he will be dealt at the deadline I would suspect.

Old
07-23-2011, 09:12 AM
patsbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurel Joliat View Post
Gorges is a 5th or 6th defensive d-men. Yes, he is suppose to be under the league average.

Just look a guy like Ryan Wilson who sign a 1 year 1,25 M contract...
Wilson has only 2 seasons in NHL, Gorges 5. Salary goes up with experience.

Old
07-23-2011, 09:14 AM
edsqu

Brian Wilde on twitter is going crazy...

One year deal is the smart money..Im really surprised people are outraged at the deal. Its not insulting at all given the season we just had injury wise..

Old
07-23-2011, 09:16 AM
patsbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whereabouts Unknown View Post
Now hopefully parise goes UFA lol
How could this happen? Is it if he refuse the term in arbitration?

Old
07-23-2011, 09:32 AM
HomaridII

mckennaconor Conor McKenna
heard talk that Gorges has no interest staying in MTL long-term... this deal won't convince anyone otherwise. UFA in less than a year.

Old
07-23-2011, 09:34 AM
le_sean

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
Only good thing with PG over Silent Bob, PG negotiates during the season. So if Habs think they can't sign Gorges, he will be dealt at the deadline I would suspect.
I could honestly see him getting a Rivet-like deal at the deadline. At his age, easily. It would be real enticing too.

Old
07-23-2011, 09:36 AM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
I swear people have become so friggin insecure with the cap.

Here's a newsflash : I T S M A D E T O B E S P E N T
Management doesn't seem inclined to spent to the cap at this time.

I can only hope it's because the UFA crop this year was mediocre, and they're saving up the money for future years. Worst case scenario, Molson needs to boost profits.

Old
07-23-2011, 09:38 AM
JackZap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarfangor View Post
pretty sure Habs said "look play this year, and if you do as well as you say, we'll give you 4 next off season"
4?? Hes gonna walk if hes looking for 4 a yr

Old
07-23-2011, 09:39 AM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomaridII View Post
heard talk that Gorges has no interest staying in MTL long-term... this deal won't convince anyone otherwise. UFA in less than a year.
If true he would have never filed for arbitration.

Old
07-23-2011, 09:40 AM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em Ancien View Post
Your overreaction is troubling for those who care.

*ahem*

3 key expirings is a big deal because it will require a lot of attention and time. Contract negotiations don't get done overnight.

That's not to say it won't get done. It's just going to be a very important offseason because those 3 are part of the core moving forward.
The reason the Habs have a lot of key expirings so frequently is that we don't sign 10-year contracts. Next summer will be busy for Gauthier, and in 3 summers Gomez, Gionta, Cammalleri and Markov are all going UFA at the same time, and the summer after that it will be Plekanec and Cole; etc.

I think it's a valid tradeoff.

Old
07-23-2011, 09:40 AM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Management doesn't seem inclined to spent to the cap at this time.

I can only hope it's because the UFA crop this year was mediocre, and they're saving up the money for future years. Worst case scenario, Molson needs to boost profits.
I don't get that. We have 5 millions of cap space left, and the options out there in the UFA market are TERRIBLE. Why would we clog up our little cushion (trade deadline?) to throw 5m at guys like Rivet, Drury, Samsonov, etc. who are not close to be an upgrade to what we have and who bring absolutely nothing to our team?

Next summer, when Subban and Price will be due for a raise, we'll all be very happy to have some cap space left. This is smart management, and nothing else.

Old
07-23-2011, 09:41 AM
overlords
#BargainBanned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackZap View Post
4?? Hes gonna walk if hes looking for 4 a yr
and he'll be walking a long time...

Old
07-23-2011, 09:45 AM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe84 View Post
I don't get that. We have 5 millions of cap space left, and the options out there in the UFA market are TERRIBLE. Why would we clog up our little cushion (trade deadline?) to throw 5m at guys like Rivet, Drury, Samsonov, etc. who are not close to be an upgrade to what we have and who bring absolutely nothing to our team?

Next summer, when Subban and Price will be due for a raise, we'll all be very happy to have some cap space left. This is smart management, and nothing else.
Don't forget Eller.

Plus, if AK has a good season he could be trade bait at the deadline if the Habs don't have plans for him....unless he and Eller have great chemistry again.

Old
07-23-2011, 09:46 AM
swimmer77
Post Oates

Quote:
I have to say I'm surprised it's only a one year deal he's gotten. I thought Gauthier at the minimum would have been able to negotiate at least one of his UFA years. I think the price is right though and always believed Gorges should not get more than 2.75 so I'm even a little surprised there because I thought he would.

I'm not overly concerned about Josh Gorges because he can be replaced IMHO especially if his attitude is he doesn't want to stay. If that's true though I wonder what changed his thinking.

He's a hardworker no doubt and wins a lot of puck battles. But sometimes it takes him a while to win them as opposed to a more physical d-man who maybe could win the battle quicker. And it's alway bothered me how he can end up in the goal crease.

I like the guy and respect his work ethic but I'm not overly excited on way or the other. Again my biggest question is if the claim is true then why the change in attitude?

Old
07-23-2011, 09:47 AM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfaninvictoria View Post
Offer sheets simply don't happen. Stamkos and Doughty surely would have gotten them this year. The price is too high and blowing up bridges is never good.

If teams did sign offer sheets to Price and Subban... potentially 8 1st round picks. 3 per year including ours.... we'd be beasts in 7-10 years for a long time.
No, for an offer sheet to net 4 1st rounders it needs to be 7.5 million and above.

Price and Subban could respectively net offer sheets of 6-7 million and 3-5 million. That's more than we would otherwise like to play, but less than the value of the draft picks we would need to offset losing these star players.

Old
07-23-2011, 09:52 AM
Lions999

If Gorges comes back his usual self after 40 games,and is not showing any signs on injury.Then sign him long term.4yrs 12 million

Old
07-23-2011, 09:55 AM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
Inflation is a measly 1-3% annually,
When people on this forum discuss inflation they don't mean the government's consumer price index, they mean the rate of change of the salary cap.

The salary cap went up by 10% last year, and it is up by ~60% since the 2005-06 season when it was 40 million.

In other words, inflation averages 7%/year in the NHL.

Old
07-23-2011, 10:00 AM
Analyzer*

vCash: 50
Quote:
Post credible sources.

I heard this Anaylzer guy just tweeted that the signing of Josh Gorges allows Montréal to be able to have the space to offer sheet Parise, or Doughty.

Closed Thread