HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Josh Gorges re-signs 1 year, $2.5 M (July 2011)

Closed Thread

Old
07-23-2011, 10:00 AM
RE-HABS

vCash: 500
Young Dmen Ryan Suter and Tim Gleason are both available as UFA's next year too.

Old
07-23-2011, 10:01 AM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Post credible sources.

I heard this Anaylzer guy just tweeted that the signing of Josh Gorges allows Montréal to be able to have the space to offer sheet Parise, or Doughty.
Zach Parise is under 6 feet so I bet Habs management is extremely interested.

Old
07-23-2011, 10:05 AM
RBR

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Zach Parise is under 6 feet so I bet Habs management is extremely interested.
Parise can't be given an offer sheet because he was taken to arbitration by the Devils.

Old
07-23-2011, 10:08 AM
HCH

The Gorges comments are interesting. Before he signed, a friend of mine and I were discussing what he might be worth and we came up with a number of around $2.75 million and a maximum of three years.

I think PG got a bit of a bargain here but I am happier than I would have been with a long term contract at something over $3 million.

I hope Gorges has a good year but realistically speaking he is a #5 or #6 defenseman on a contending team. Granted, he would be one of the very best #5 or #6 defensemen in the league but when you look at his skill set, that is where he fits. If some team thinks he is a #3 guy and want to pay him at that level, then he has a choice to make and like anyone else, he would be crazy not to follow the money.

The wildcard in this whole thing is the CBA. Montreal may have timed some of these contracts very well because I have a feeling there are changes coming. They may not be big changes but nevertheless, PG will have the flexibility to deal with the new CBA terms with the full knowledge of what those terms will be.

Old
07-23-2011, 10:11 AM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBR View Post
Parise can't be given an offer sheet because he was taken to arbitration by the Devils.
Habs don't offer sheet players this year for sure, will come back to bite them in the ass with Subban and Price RFA's next season.

Old
07-23-2011, 10:16 AM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
Habs don't offer sheet players this year for sure, will come back to bite them in the ass with Subban and Price RFA's next season.
You mean like the offer sheets Pacioretty might have gotten this year, when Gauthier signed him before July 1st?

Old
07-23-2011, 10:24 AM
99GoHabsGo99
MontrealCanadiens200

love the money.. but not the year

Old
07-23-2011, 10:50 AM
Top Corner2

This is a smart signing by both the habs and Gorges. The habs didn't want to pay 3 mil to get a long term deal done. Gorges didn't want to accept 2.5 on a long term. Maybe once Gorges proves that he is 100% the habs will not have cold feet.

Old
07-23-2011, 10:54 AM
Gally11

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsbury View Post
How could this happen? Is it if he refuse the term in arbitration?

If they go to arbitration and the price is too high the Devils can elect to walk away from the contract, definitely not going to happen though lol

Old
07-23-2011, 11:02 AM
Born in 1909
Vive la France!

A cautious deal...

but we will definitely find out this year what the new-and-improved Gorges is worth long-term.

Old
07-23-2011, 11:26 AM
Jesse Pinkman

Only 1 year?

Old
07-23-2011, 12:00 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP

I wanted 3-4 years @ 3-3.5 because it eats away at UFA years. I guess better safe than sorry.

Old
07-23-2011, 12:17 PM
ThaDevilGirl

Didn't read all of the thread.

Good deal.

Old
07-23-2011, 12:32 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaDevilGirl View Post
Didn't read all of the thread.

Good deal.
Ozy going ******* over everything

/thread

Old
07-23-2011, 12:37 PM
HarlemsFinest
teh gallys!!1

i know markov is markov, but if you give a beloved vet like that 5 years after blowing knees like hookers blow....you can at least offer gorges, who bleeds for this team, 2 years. i feel insulted for him (granted, without knowing details), but i hope it doesn't mean anything, and we lock him next year. .....or he sucks and isn't himself and it ends up being a smart move.

Old
07-23-2011, 12:45 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomaridII View Post
mckennaconor Conor McKenna
heard talk that Gorges has no interest staying in MTL long-term... this deal won't convince anyone otherwise. UFA in less than a year.
I'm gonna need to have some explanations on that one. Why would Gorges have no interest in staying here exactly?

Gorges is extremely limited. I think management offered him a one year deal because they want to see just how much his game can grow, not because of his health.
If he was bigger and therefore more physical/aggressive, then he could easily add 1M to his current pay, but he doesn't have that.

Old
07-23-2011, 12:56 PM
Habsfan18

Quote:
heard talk that Gorges has no interest staying in MTL long-term... this deal won't convince anyone otherwise. UFA in less than a year.
To me there's just absolutely no way this is true at all. By all accounts Gorges LOVES this organization.

Old
07-23-2011, 12:59 PM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
To me there's just absolutely no way this is true at all. By all accounts Gorges LOVES this organization.
I dunno. Remember when that puck almost killed him and none of his teammates stood up to that dirty piece of rubber?

Old
07-23-2011, 01:02 PM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill McNeal View Post
I dunno. Remember when that puck almost killed him and none of his teammates stood up to that dirty piece of rubber?
If I recall correctly, they kept hitting that dirty piece of rubber with their stick for the rest of the game! I think it had its lesson.

Old
07-23-2011, 01:04 PM
knuck
On and off fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
I like Gorges and all but I don't see what makes everyone say that tbh

Old
07-23-2011, 01:05 PM
Bring_Bak_Damphousse
Classless User

Quote:
Dunno only 1 year....I can't put his name on my jersey now, I'm gonna need a long term commitment.

I'm happy, I would've liked to see a 3-4 year deal, but the moneys good so I can't complain.

Old
07-23-2011, 01:06 PM
guest1467

Quote:
They didn't want to get an instigator obviously.

Old
07-23-2011, 01:14 PM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maliki2 View Post
Glad it was only a one year deal. We gotta see how he holds up after his injury. If only Markov would have done the same.

If he goes down early...we won't have to worry about him being any of the keys.
Got to love the eternal pessimists in life.

Old
07-23-2011, 01:37 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 709
Quote:
So is it when I suddenly start to think that Gorges is finally not as important as we once thought?

Like I said before, I guess there's nothing to it...just found strange that it took all this time to comeback to the obvious.

Old
07-23-2011, 01:46 PM
LyleOdelein

As someone who held the username GorgesOfTheJungle for awhile, it goes without saying that I`m a huge, huge fan of Gorges. However, I really don't understand the problem with this kind of contract for him right now.

The Habs rewarded him with a contract at a cap-hit that was more than double his last contract`s. That's a healthy raise and is well deserved, IMO. Had the Habs truly wanted to low-ball Gorges, they could easily have dragged him to arbitration and probably saved a little bit of money (it's usually tough to get significant reward for intangible qualities and last season's injury would have definitely factored into a ruling). Ensuring that a contract was worked out before the looming arbitration threat became significant is actually a show of good faith from PG, as I see it.

This contract allows both parties to avoid the ugliness of arbitration and will ensure that in the long-term Gorges is compensated fairly in the long-term for what he provides. I really doubt that either party sees this contract as a bad thing. If Gorges truly wants to stay in Montreal long-term, I see no reason why both parties can`t agree on something before he hits UFA status next year.

I find it absurd that a guy like Brian Wilde is so critical of how this will play in the room. Gorges seems like a smart enough guy to realize the reality of the situation and recognize that it`s not a slap in the face by any means. Even if Gorges were petty enough to be unhappy about it (which I doubt he is), I`m sure that Gill would quickly provide a reality check considering he took less money to stay as a defensive d-man on the same team for the same length, even though he had more bargaining clout as a UFA.

Closed Thread