HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bob Ackles Memorial B.C. Lions Thread #7

Closed Thread

Old
07-28-2011, 11:52 PM
Win One Before I Die
The Keg or bust

vCash: 500
Don't worry guys, they just getting all the suck out of their system early on.

Old
07-29-2011, 12:32 AM
Rocko604
Win Cup or fire Don

Fire JC and MB, move Wally upstairs, hire Scott Milanovich, etc. etc.

Hopefully Arceneaux gets cut by the Vikings next week and comes back to replace the aforementioned Dropson Collins.

Old
07-29-2011, 12:39 AM
m9
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
This will be the final straw, IMO. There will be at least one major change before Game 6 - either a new coach, new starting QB, or other huge statement move.

They aren't a good team, but they aren't a bunch of idiots either. The writing is on the wall to make a change.

Old
07-29-2011, 01:46 AM
petrishriekandgo
Why not us?

Thought they played a great game BUT the Simon drop to start the game and the Gore drop at the end has typified the Lions season to date. They're just not making the plays when they NEED to.

Arrgh... hard to blame Wally for this one...

Old
07-29-2011, 08:10 AM
orcatown

Wally keeps patching things together with rejects and over hill players. Also keeps bringing back players that clearly are done. Finally got Johnson out of there but there is still a lot of other deadwood on the team. Bringing Johnson back after his tragic play last year is an absolute indication of the dysfunctional player evaluation on this team.

Biggest problem is that many of the key players are really aging and the team seems to have few younger players to replace them.

Thought Dennis had good game but Ruffin is clearly in over his head. Also Valli had a very poor game - he got totally abused by the Bomber defensive linemen.

Collins was atrocious and should be replaced. Problem is that no matter who they bring in they can't seem to find anyone who can catch the ball in any sort of traffic.

Lulay's failure in clutch situations has to be a real concern.

Team is a mess and Wally needs to stop BSing about the situation.

Old
07-29-2011, 09:11 AM
Hoss

vCash: 91
This thread has bad juju, the team is the suck since Mr. Ackles died 3 years ago. It's time to move on.

Old
07-29-2011, 12:57 PM
Lard_Lad

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterEmpire View Post
'Well Wally what went wrong this week'
'We played a good hard game, but made mistakes'
Pretty good prediction, here's how the actual quote went in this morning's Sun: "The guys played a solid, hard-nosed football game. A fumble here, a drop there, a coverage mistake. Suddenly, you look up and you're beaten. We're talking about three plays. That's all it is. You make those three plays, and we're not talking about another loss."

Old
07-29-2011, 01:18 PM
m9
HFBoards Sponsor

As I've said before, I don't have a problem with coach Buono.. I have a problem with GM Buono. Mistakes like Collins need to be corrected.

Old
07-29-2011, 01:23 PM
Corb

Who ever is bringing in the 'talent' should be fired. If I'm not mistaken, we've sucked since Shivers came on board. For every Cam Wake this dude has found, he's found 5 Dobson Dropits................

OK end of rant, and I realize what I said above probably isn't even accruate LOLzzz

http://www.bclions.com/page/staff-roy-shivers

Old
07-29-2011, 01:32 PM
Free Kassian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lard_Lad View Post
Pretty good prediction, here's how the actual quote went in this morning's Sun: "The guys played a solid, hard-nosed football game. A fumble here, a drop there, a coverage mistake. Suddenly, you look up and you're beaten. We're talking about three plays. That's all it is. You make those three plays, and we're not talking about another loss."
How is Buono able to get away with saying things like that? If the guy actually expects us to believe that garbage, he must think Lions fans are a bunch of idiots. Ugh.

Old
07-29-2011, 01:32 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

vCash: 696
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corb View Post
Who ever is bringing in the 'talent' should be fired. If I'm not mistaken, we've sucked since Shivers came on board. For every Cam Wake this dude has found, he's found 5 Dobson Dropits................

OK end of rant, and I realize what I said above probably isn't even accruate LOLzzz

http://www.bclions.com/page/staff-roy-shivers
It's not...he didn't find Cam Wake

07-29-2011, 01:34 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJP View Post
How is Buono able to get away with saying things like that? If the guy actually expects us to believe that garbage, he must think Lions fans are a bunch of idiots.
Exactly. It's easy to identify why you lost no matter what team you are. But the good teams find ways to fight through those bouts of adversity and get the win. You could look at last night for example. In the 4th quarter Buck Pierce was knocked out of the game. They were trailing and had a rookie quarterback in who completed 15 out of 40 passes coming into the game. You could point to that as a reason why the Bombers lost...but wait, they didn't lose.

Why do we consistently make a bunch of costly mistakes and find ways to lose? Why don't we have the ability to fight through those mistakes and come up with a big play?

Old
07-29-2011, 01:38 PM
Placebo Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoss View Post
This thread has bad juju, the team is the suck since Mr. Ackles died 3 years ago. It's time to move on.
Bobby Ackles was a brilliant mind. Bad juju from this thread has nothing to do with it. It's straight up not having him anymore.

Old
07-29-2011, 01:41 PM
Biggest Canuck Fan

Send a message via ICQ to Biggest Canuck Fan
I just want to say: Quite a few roasted me when after the first game I said this was going to be a long season.

You could see they are just not quite good enough, but there is potential. Just not this season.

Old
07-29-2011, 01:49 PM
Free Kassian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Placebo Effect View Post
Bobby Ackles was a brilliant mind. Bad juju from this thread has nothing to do with it. It's straight up not having him anymore.
I think that's a fairly large part of it. There's really nobody in the organization to keep Buono in check, which was an essential function of Ackles' job. Without that kind of oversight, and not having a 'football guy' in the President's seat, there aren't any checks and balances in the front office.

Braley has too much to worry about in Toronto to really give a crap about what's going on here right now. It's clear - to every neutral observer, anyway - the performances so far this season have been totally unacceptable. The last time I was this bummed-out about the Lions, Andre Ware was their quarterback, and there's no Damon Allen on the sidelines waiting to swoop in this time.

Old
07-29-2011, 01:59 PM
Eddy Punch Clock
Go Herbvat

I'm not saying Jackson should be handed the starters job but I think it might be a good idea to start him next game. The pressure has to be mounting big time on Lulay. A game from the sidelines might just be what he needs right now.

Old
07-29-2011, 02:13 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
I think that's a fairly large part of it. There's really nobody in the organization to keep Buono in check, which was an essential function of Ackles' job. Without that kind of oversight, and not having a 'football guy' in the President's seat, there aren't any checks and balances in the front office.

Braley has too much to worry about in Toronto to really give a crap about what's going on here right now. It's clear - to every neutral observer, anyway - the performances so far this season have been totally unacceptable. The last time I was this bummed-out about the Lions, Andre Ware was their quarterback, and there's no Damon Allen on the sidelines waiting to swoop in this time.
There is, however, a former Most Outstanding Player quarterback who's currently a free agent I don't see him coming back though

Old
07-29-2011, 04:01 PM
chopkins
Super Bowl Champs

Funny how we're set to do even worse than 1-7 this year. Ohhhh Lions. Win something so I can start watching games again.

I was pumped for the Grey Cup being here this year. Now, not so much.

Old
07-29-2011, 04:37 PM
Free Kassian

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
There is, however, a former Most Outstanding Player quarterback who's currently a free agent I don't see him coming back though
Printers was a flash in the pan who had an awful, prima donna attitude that infected the entire locker room last season. That guy has burned so many bridges it'd take the second coming to find him on a pro football roster again. He was more or less Jon Volpe with an arm, but an even shorter shelf life.

Old
07-29-2011, 04:43 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:

Ackles was more than just a brilliant football mind he also had an incredible wealth of contacts in the NFL and NCAA.

Just an all-around first class guy as well. The organization has been in neutral since his death.

Old
07-29-2011, 04:46 PM
Lard_Lad

Quote:
How is Buono able to get away with saying things like that? If the guy actually expects us to believe that garbage, he must think Lions fans are a bunch of idiots. Ugh.
Why wouldn't he? The next sentence in the article ends with "the Lions really aren't a bad team." Maybe he figures since the media buys his ********, the fans should, too.

Old
07-29-2011, 05:13 PM
Free Kassian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
Ackles was more than just a brilliant football mind he also had an incredible wealth of contacts in the NFL and NCAA.
Just an all-around first class guy as well. The organization has been in neutral since his death.
'Neutral' is being kind. If anything, they've been spinning their wheels in the mud frantically. The Lions' top contact for the NFL/NCAA is Roy Shivers, one of the worst GMs of the past two decades in this league. That's a pretty massive downgrade from Ackles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lard_Lad View Post
Why wouldn't he? The next sentence in the article ends with "the Lions really aren't a bad team." Maybe he figures since the media buys his ********, the fans should, too.
Pretty well bang-on. The next time Buono gets criticized in this town will be the first. He seems to float under the radar thanks to the Canucks, but I have a feeling that's about to come to an end if this team loses any more consecutive games.

Old
07-29-2011, 05:20 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Printers was a flash in the pan who had an awful, prima donna attitude that infected the entire locker room last season. That guy has burned so many bridges it'd take the second coming to find him on a pro football roster again. He was more or less Jon Volpe with an arm, but an even shorter shelf life.
I know Casey on a semi-personal level and he's really not the complete cancer that the media makes him out to be. That entire lockerroom was fighting and it wasn't all just about Casey. Yes, he was immature and babyish during his first tenure and a lot of that was poor guidance from his uncle/agent who kept pumping his tires. Casey was more than humbled in the years after that after failing badly in the NFL and Hamilton. He really matured and truly does believe in the team.

Last year he was frustrated because he played through an injury for Wally Buono. Casey should not have been playing after game 2. He looked very good in the first 3 games he played back in 2009 including the playoff game against Hamilton.

Old
07-29-2011, 05:21 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post

The loss of Bob Ackles, as well as Bob O'Billovich moving on to the Hamilton organization really hurt us a lot. OB was also great at spotting talent and recruiting players.

Old
07-29-2011, 05:22 PM
rye&ginger

Not sure who it was on TEAM earlier, but they said the loss of Bob Obilovich is a big as well. TiCats have gotten much better once he started bringing players to them.

I thought we played better than we have, considering we have a terrible D and the Bluebombers have the best one thus far.

Lulay over threw several times, and WR's dropped passes. The D was picked apart at bad times.

Some positives, again, but still a loss.

Closed Thread