HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bob Ackles Memorial B.C. Lions Thread #7

Closed Thread

Old
07-29-2011, 06:34 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by rye&ginger View Post
Not sure who it was on TEAM earlier, but they said the loss of Bob Obilovich is a big as well. TiCats have gotten much better once he started bringing players to them.

I thought we played better than we have, considering we have a terrible D and the Bluebombers have the best one thus far.

Lulay over threw several times, and WR's dropped passes. The D was picked apart at bad times.

Some positives, again, but still a loss.
OB is quite underrated and really was unnoticed and relatively unappreciated here in BC. The guy was instrumental in building our dominant teams.

When a guy like Alex Brink comes in and shreads your defense, you have serious serious fundamental problems. Our LB group is decent, although I shudder to think how bad it would be without Aluminum. Our defensive line needs work, particularly an explosive pass rusher...just one. Our DB's need work and I would seriously look at outright releasing Phillips and Dante Marsh. Sanchez should be relegated to a backup role only because he's a Canadian, otherwise he would be gone too.

07-29-2011, 06:57 PM
rye&ginger

Yeah the secondary is the weakest link on the team IMO. Maybe there will be scraps from the NFL available soon.

Old
07-30-2011, 02:19 PM
Free Torts

Send a message via MSN to Free Torts
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Last year he was frustrated because he played through an injury for Wally Buono. Casey should not have been playing after game 2. He looked very good in the first 3 games he played back in 2009 including the playoff game against Hamilton.
I get that you love the guy but he had one good season in the CFL. Making excuses for his poor play and lousy attitude - seriously, did you see him screaming at O'Neil Wilson after his pass was picked off? That was hardly the picture of someone who has been 'humbled' by failure - doesn't do the guy any favours. He's just not that good.

It's not even a case of 'oh, he's a young guy, eventually he's going to learn,' Printers is 30 years old. He's not going to be much more than he already is, and from what we saw last season, Lulay is a better option at QB.

Last edited by Free Torts: 07-30-2011 at 02:26 PM.
Old
07-30-2011, 03:52 PM
Rocko604

Wally Buono is the Al Davis of the BC Lions.

Old
07-30-2011, 03:58 PM
The Big Foot

The Detroit Lions pulled off an 0-16 season two years ago, anybody think the BC Lions can get to 0-18? That would be historic.

Old
07-30-2011, 04:02 PM
Rocko604

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Foot View Post
The Detroit Lions pulled off an 0-16 season two years ago, anybody think the BC Lions can get to 0-18? That would be historic.
No. The CFL just doesn't work that way. The Lions will find a way to win a game on a rouge, or something as ridiculous.

I don't think 3-15 is out of the question though.

Old
07-30-2011, 04:07 PM
thecupismine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko604 View Post
No. The CFL just doesn't work that way. The Lions will find a way to win a game on a rouge, or something as ridiculous.

With how bad some of the team's are looking this year, 3-15 might only be 1 win short of making the playoffs

Old
07-30-2011, 05:32 PM
Rocko604

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecupismine View Post
With how bad some of the team's are looking this year, 3-15 might only be 1 win short of making the playoffs
Good point, Tony Gallagher.

Old
07-31-2011, 12:30 AM
Rocko604

Great game between Calgary and Saskatchewan, a 22-18 Stamps win. Henry Burris was clutch when he needed to be. Trying to hang on to their lead, he completed passes for first down which kept their drive alive and took time off the clock. Oh, if only we had a QB who could do that.

And because he wears a ****ING HEADSET, Hufnagel was able to quickly make a challenge on an incomplete Roughies pass.

Old
07-31-2011, 05:57 AM
rebel diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko604 View Post

OK, you guys know I'm the eternal optimist, both for the Lions and the Canucks, but seriously, I guarantee our record will be better than that. Look, I know we don't have a good team. The defence, mostly the secondary, gives up far too many points. Our receivers can't catch a ball to save their lives. The best thing to say about the O-Line is that they're better than last year, which is not much of a compliment to anyone who watched last season. Lulay has shown flashes of talent but not much under pressure. But despite all this they had a decent chance to win 3 or 4 of their games thus far. Eventually things will start breaking our way, string a few together, gain some confidence and who knows. The crossover beckons.

Old
07-31-2011, 10:32 AM
Rocko604

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel diamond View Post
OK, you guys know I'm the eternal optimist, both for the Lions and the Canucks, but seriously, I guarantee our record will be better than that. Look, I know we don't have a good team. The defence, mostly the secondary, gives up far too many points. Our receivers can't catch a ball to save their lives. The best thing to say about the O-Line is that they're better than last year, which is not much of a compliment to anyone who watched last season. Lulay has shown flashes of talent but not much under pressure. But despite all this they had a decent chance to win 3 or 4 of their games thus far. Eventually things will start breaking our way, string a few together, gain some confidence and who knows. The crossover beckons.
So far in these five games, I'd say they had a good chance to win 3 of them. As close as they were in the Montreal game, their first half was just down right brutal. They didn't deserve to win that one. Edmonton was the other.

The other three, sure. A first down here, our DBs pull their heads out of their ***** there and yes, we could be 3-2.

As far as the crossover goes, I can't even be optimistic about that. Montreal and Hamilton are 3-2. It's more likely one of East teams will crossover into the West.

I hate to say it this early into the season, but Fridays game vs. Saskatchewan could pretty much determine our fate. A win and an Argo's loss, we're level with the three teams. If we lose on Friday though, we might as well start looking forward to the #1 pick in the draft. Any good Canadian pass rushing DEs playing in the NCAA?

Old
08-03-2011, 01:17 PM
colonel_korn
Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?

Lions acquire Arland Bruce: http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=373130

On the downside of his career but he's gotta be better than Collins. On paper a receiving corps of him, Geroy, Paris and Gore should be able to do some damage, if Lulay can find them consistently.

What happened to Steven Black anyways? He was showing promise towards the end of last season and I'm pretty sure I saw him play early this season, but he's not on the official team roster anymore.

Old
08-03-2011, 01:21 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel_korn View Post
Lions acquire Arland Bruce: http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=373130

On the downside of his career but he's gotta be better than Collins. On paper a receiving corps of him, Geroy, Paris and Gore should be able to do some damage, if Lulay can find them consistently.

What happened to Steven Black anyways? He was showing promise towards the end of last season and I'm pretty sure I saw him play early this season, but he's not on the official team roster anymore.
Whoa this is an amazing trade for us! FINALLY another deep threat.

Black was cut because he apparently didn't show enough progress from last year. Apparently it's okay to drop balls nonstop, but if you don't improve you're gone.

Old
08-03-2011, 02:48 PM
Rocko604

Even though Bruce is past his prime, having him line up with Simon, Paris and Gore will give the opposition secondary fits as to who to double team. Just having him on the field will likely open somebody up.

Hopefully he heals up very soon.

Old
08-03-2011, 03:31 PM
Burrows19

Arland Bruce I'm so happy that we did something! Can't wait to play the Roughriders, we might actually have a chance, 2 people Lulay can throw to that will catch it!

Old
08-03-2011, 03:38 PM
Proto

The only place Arland Bruce will be lining up beside Paris Jackson is maybe to get a cup of water at practice.

Also, I look forward to Lulay over or under-throwing Bruce deep about 6 times next game.

Old
08-03-2011, 03:43 PM
FakeKidPoker*

lol love this deal

Old
08-03-2011, 04:00 PM
Lard_Lad

Now get Arceneaux back and we'll have a workable group of receivers for the second half of the season. Maybe we scrape into the playoffs again and Wally & co. will be back for another season of this.

Old
08-03-2011, 10:59 PM
Ronaldo
OVOXO

vCash: 855
Really like the Bruce trade, obviously he isn't the same player he use to be but he's much much better than Collins.

Last edited by Ronaldo: 08-03-2011 at 11:47 PM.
Old
08-05-2011, 04:24 PM
Lard_Lad

Good news: David Braley's team fired its defensive coordinator. Bad news: It was his other team. But at least there's some small glimmer of hope that there'll be accountability if the winless season keeps going.

Old
08-05-2011, 05:19 PM
Free Torts

Send a message via MSN to Free Torts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lard_Lad View Post
Good news: David Braley's team fired its defensive coordinator. Bad news: It was his other team. But at least there's some small glimmer of hope that there'll be accountability if the winless season keeps going.
The entire defensive coaching staff for the Lions needs to go. I've never seen a team look so clueless defending the pass.

Old
08-05-2011, 06:09 PM
Wetcoaster

Buono is vowing to stick with Lulay as he believes Lulay’s completion percentage is the most misleading stat in the CFL, because it doesn’t reflect the number of times his receivers have dropped catchable balls.

And Buono is also sticking with Shawn Gore whom he believes has unlimited potential as a receiver despite the dropped balls. Currently Gore is the leading non-import receiver in the CFL, trailing only top imports Fred Stamps, S.J. Green, Geroy Simon, Jamel Richardson, Nik Lewis and Weston Dressler.

And had Gore not dropped those catchable balls... Buono says he would be the most outstanding Canadian in the CFL.
“If they have something special about them, you must stick with them,” said Buono of Gore...

When asked if the acquisition of All-CFL receiver Arland Bruce in Wednesday’s trade with the Tiger-Cats might allow Buono to move Gore outside where, presumably, he’d see fewer throws and make correspondingly fewer mistakes, Buono said that’s not in the plan. Bruce is scheduled to arrive in Vancouver Friday but won’t play or practise with the Lions until next week.

“We have two anchors [Bruce and Simon] for the young guys to work around,” Buono said. “But do you think Shawn’s hands are going to get better if we put him out wide? That way, we don’t fix the problem. We just isolate the problem. Not very smart. Especially when that guy there is as explosive as any player in the league. The thing with Mr. Gore is: Take the 27 catches, add 10 more [the drops] and who are we talking about? The most outstanding Canadian player this year.”

“We have some quality (non-)import players [Gore, wide receiver Akeem Foster] I believe will eventually grow to become superstars,” Buono said. “When Fantuz (last year's leading CFL receiver now with the NFL’s Chicago Bears) first came up, how many balls did he drop? That’s part of the learning curve. If you’re going to have a [import-non-import] ratio, you’re going to have to be patient. If you want them to grow, they gotta play. I don’t believe Shawn Gore has a ceiling. I don’t believe we know how good he can be.”
http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/L...#ixzz1UC6e1asN

I can see the argument for Gore but I am unsure about Lulay. Why have an experienced veteran as back-up if you are not going to play him when the rookie falters at QB. Lulay may learn watching Jackson work the first team offence.

Old
08-05-2011, 06:13 PM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

40-20 Lions tonight. book it.

Old
08-05-2011, 06:24 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJP View Post
The entire defensive coaching staff for the Lions needs to go. I've never seen a team look so clueless defending the pass.
The loss of Franks for the season (and maybe his career) with the dislocated knee was a huge blow and other injuries that have hampered the secondary (LaRose - broken forearm, J.R. Ruffin - knee and Sanchez - elbow injury) have to be considered in the assessment. Anthony Reddick, Ryan Phillips or Jason Arakgi are adequate as back-ups but as starters??

Hopefully Tad Kornegay will help stabilize the secondary and his versatilty should be very useful as he can play all three positions in the defensive secondary, linebacker and is a special teams demon.

Old
08-05-2011, 06:48 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

Lions lose 33 - 10

Closed Thread