HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers to trade Zuccarello ?

Old
08-14-2011, 01:27 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

vCash: 500
And again, enough with the obsession over your ideal development path, Supersonic. Oh no, Zuccarello is 23 and Thomas is 19. Who gives a flying ****? Every prospect is unique. There is no development path that is better than any other. They're all different and some end up good, some don't.

Oh no, the coach lost confidence in a rookie who was already in a limited trial role? No way. That's unheard of. Our savior Ryan Callahan certainly never went through anything like this where he had to go back to the AHL to find his confidence and sharpen his game. Oh wait.. And how old was he when that happened?

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2011, 03:41 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuccarello Awesome View Post
What is this "north American" hockey crap? Oh, so NCAA and junior leagues are better leagues than the SEL because they're in NA? Zuccarello led the league in scoring. That's a MENS LEAGUE. Much stronger, and smarter players than you'll find in the NCAA or ohl. That's undisputable.

His 40 games means nothing? So if he had scored 40 points in those 40, that'd mean nothing also, according to you, because he's still small and doesn't skate like barb underhill.

Look. It was his first year in a smaller rink. It was his first half season in the NHL. He did pretty damn good with the limited ice time he got with third line players in a very limited role.

Just wait. Just wait til he gets a fair shot in a top-6 role. He's going to produce offensively. He's got more grit than we've seen so far in his breif rangers career. He's a gamer. You'll be singing a vastly different tune in a few months. Mark my words.
North American crap?

Its a completely different game.

Ok, ill mark your words. On a team starved for skill and offense he couldn't crack the top six. He wont this year either.

"Third line players" such as Stepan who scored 40 points as a 20 year old rookie (3 years younger then Zuccarello), and Wolski who has scored less then 40 points in the NHL once in six full seasons. And Dubinsky.

But its their fault he got sent back to the AHL and was scratched and benched.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2011, 03:54 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
And again, enough with the obsession over your ideal development path, Supersonic. Oh no, Zuccarello is 23 and Thomas is 19. Who gives a flying ****? Every prospect is unique. There is no development path that is better than any other. They're all different and some end up good, some don't.

Oh no, the coach lost confidence in a rookie who was already in a limited trial role? No way. That's unheard of. Our savior Ryan Callahan certainly never went through anything like this where he had to go back to the AHL to find his confidence and sharpen his game. Oh wait.. And how old was he when that happened?
Ryan Callahan is a candidate to captain the team. And he was given the time to develop because he could skate, hit, contribute on special teams, and his consistency never wanned.

Zuccarello is weak, small, is a poor skater by NHL standards, and is a liability defensively.

If his superior offensive abilities outweighed those issues, he would have stuck in the lineup and played above the third line.

Thomas scored 50 goals in one of the top feeder leagues for the NHL, is a superior skater to Zuccarello. A league that has produced a vast majority of the leagues best players.

Again, WHAT limited role? His limemates have proven a HELL of a lot more then Zuccarello has, and THEY dragged HIM down?

Enough, I can't take it anymore.

If Zuccarello even makes the lineup ill consider it a success. Let alone produce at a .5 PPG clip over the course of 82 games.

Old
08-14-2011, 04:02 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

To add a little perspective, from someone who's been on the sidelines of this debate:

I don't think anyone is suggesting that Zuccarello shouldn't stick with the Rangers because of his physical traits. People are predicting (myself included unfortunately) that he won't stick with the Rangers - and the reason will be his (lack) of key physical traits.

God bless him if he proves us all wrong and becomes an effective top 6 winger in this league (particularly if it's for the Rangers).

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2011, 04:11 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
To add a little perspective, from someone who's been on the sidelines of this debate:

I don't think anyone is suggesting that Zuccarello shouldn't stick with the Rangers because of his physical traits. People are predicting (myself included unfortunately) that he won't stick with the Rangers - and the reason will be his (lack) of key physical traits.

God bless him if he proves us all wrong and becomes an effective top 6 winger in this league (particularly if it's for the Rangers).
Yes.

And he also has zero trade value, so trading him makes no sense.

Im all for him getting a fair chance, I've stated that feeling in this thread.

Old
08-14-2011, 05:19 PM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
the guy is 3 feet tall and is nothing special.. he is a nice story but he will never score 20 nhl goals in a season with his size sorry but who cares really
Ennis did it!! +3...!

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2011, 06:14 PM
sankaa

As mentioned earlier in this thread ( i think ), MZA has actually gained some pounds in muscles this summer. The point is that no matter what, he has to make a lot of great plays to get a spot on this team. Lets face it, a player with size and more strength is more valuable than zuc even if they make equal points in a season.

I look forward to see him in action and i hope he makes alot of great plays this season. If he cant produce and doesnt make anything on the ice, then trade him.

sankaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2011, 06:24 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Ryan Callahan is a candidate to captain the team. And he was given the time to develop because he could skate, hit, contribute on special teams, and his consistency never wanned.

Zuccarello is weak, small, is a poor skater by NHL standards, and is a liability defensively.

If his superior offensive abilities outweighed those issues, he would have stuck in the lineup and played above the third line.

Thomas scored 50 goals in one of the top feeder leagues for the NHL, is a superior skater to Zuccarello. A league that has produced a vast majority of the leagues best players.

Again, WHAT limited role? His limemates have proven a HELL of a lot more then Zuccarello has, and THEY dragged HIM down?

Enough, I can't take it anymore.

If Zuccarello even makes the lineup ill consider it a success. Let alone produce at a .5 PPG clip over the course of 82 games.
You did nothing but misconstrue what I said and put words in my mouth. I can't spell it out for you any further.

Zuccarello is a defensive liability based on..... The same 40 games that you claim means nothing in terms of a scoring pace. You use Stepan as a counter example when he scored at the same rate with more average ice-time with better players. Your reason for this is that Stepan is THREE years younger??? Wow. Yes, a rookie didn't take over and CARRY an anemic offense just like another rookie didnt. Did Zuccarello's grandparents enslave yours or something? The irrational, hypocritical stat ranting and baseless label throwing (defensive liability) is hysterical.

Old
08-14-2011, 06:44 PM
Chalfdiggity3

Im coming in late to this conversation but i wanted to throw my 2 cents in..

First off, Zuccarello played solid while with us, contributed well on a third line made up of Wolski and Stepan. The guy had 23pts in 42games and actually scored with us better than .5 per game clip. Thats very good for a guy who played his first season with us. I get that he is 23 but as zuccs said, every players development curve is different. Lets see how Zucca plays with his extra muscle he put on this summer and the skating lessons he took with Underhill. I think if he can learn to put together his skating ability more he can turn into a unique valuable player. I cant wait to see what he does this season on the 3rd line with stepan.

Thomas i absolutley LOVE this kid as a player and a prospect. He has unbelievable offensive skills and can skate well, he likes to get into the dirty areas to score goals but is more of a pure sniper. His work ethic is great, plays with a ton of heart and determination, and has good hockey iq. I cant wait to see what he develops into in the next year or two.

But saying that, Thomas still needs a year or two before entering the NHL.. Which means Zuccarello has this season to prove that he should stick on the team. Lets see what he can do this year before we trade him anywhere..

Oh and SupersonicMonkey, No player has negative trade value on the market unless they suck and their contract is ridiculous aka Redden. Zucca is a 23yo 23pt winger who only played 42 games. He may not have alot of trade value and wouldn't be a core piece but would make a solid addition to a trade..

Chalfdiggity3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2011, 06:46 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Zuccarello has done nothing but improve since coming to North America. His only real struggle in the pros was when he was cast unnecessarily large responsibility in the wake of all of our injuries.

Grachev and Sanguinetti both got 2+ years in the pros before being discarded. I have a hard time believing they'll give up on an SEL MVP after his first year.

08-14-2011, 07:21 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

What is his QO next year?

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2011, 07:35 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLU Hockey View Post
Zuccarello has done nothing but improve since coming to North America. His only real struggle in the pros was when he was cast unnecessarily large responsibility in the wake of all of our injuries.

Grachev and Sanguinetti both got 2+ years in the pros before being discarded. I have a hard time believing they'll give up on an SEL MVP after his first year.
Disagree completely. Thought he progressively got worse during his 40+ games with the big club last year.

To the point where he become a liability in a lineup starved for offensive creativity, which is his forte, and ultimately lost his roster spot.

Hey, anything could happen - but the smart money is on Zuccarello being rather inconsiquential to the Rangers' future.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2011, 07:40 PM
JeffMangum
Registered Ab-user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Disagree completely. Thought he progressively got worse during his 40+ games with the big club last year.
That's how I see it, too. He was a good offensive player for the first 10 games or so, but he kind of fell off the map midway through his stint here. With what little he brings aside from potential offensive production, he can't afford to have stretches of insignificant and ineffective play if he's going to stick.

Quite honestly, I don't see a spot for him in this team's future lineup. Down the right side, you have Gaborik, Callahan, a spot, and then Prust. He's going to have to outperform Thomas and Hagelin over the course of the next few seasons to stay, if he even gets a contract beyond this year.

08-14-2011, 08:00 PM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by sankaa View Post
As mentioned earlier in this thread ( i think ), MZA has actually gained some pounds in muscles this summer. The point is that no matter what, he has to make a lot of great plays to get a spot on this team. Lets face it, a player with size and more strength is more valuable than zuc even if they make equal points in a season.

I look forward to see him in action and i hope he makes alot of great plays this season. If he cant produce and doesnt make anything on the ice, then trade him.
So then why did they give up on Grachev in favor of Zuccarello? I think they could have picked up a 3rd round draft pick for a player who can tear up a league which many consider to be the best in the world (if of course, as long as the NHL is left out of the debate).

They wanted Grachev to be less of a defensive liability so, last season he focused on that part of his game and finished up a plus 21 which, was a huge improvement compared to 09'-10' (he put up more goals and assists in fewer gp as well).

I don't think it has to do with size at all (unless we're talking about Milan Lucic or Evander Kane) because evidently, the organization sees more promise in the much lighter Zuccarello (and Thomas for that matter).

Old
08-14-2011, 08:40 PM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLU Hockey View Post

I have to agree here. Dubinsky had the opportunity to play back to back 82 game seasons with the Rangers. He scored a whopping 27 goals in 164 games played. At least in his 3rd year he's proving he can score > 20 goals and maybe now, he'll be a consistent 25-30 goals a year guy. Zuccarello is known for his offensive talent and what he has accomplished with Modo, at the WJC, and the Whale (29pts/36 gp in another pro league is still impressive).

He's got skills, and he's not an enigmatic (seems the opposite) Nik Zherdev. He deserves at least another full season with the Rangers. Then reevaluate. For the people who don't like him, look on the bright side. If he improves, maybe the Rangers can acquire someone you do like. If he doesn't, well, you already seem doubtful that anyone would want him now. There's very little risk (if any).

Old
08-15-2011, 02:27 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
You did nothing but misconstrue what I said and put words in my mouth. I can't spell it out for you any further.

Zuccarello is a defensive liability based on..... The same 40 games that you claim means nothing in terms of a scoring pace. You use Stepan as a counter example when he scored at the same rate with more average ice-time with better players. Your reason for this is that Stepan is THREE years younger??? Wow. Yes, a rookie didn't take over and CARRY an anemic offense just like another rookie didnt. Did Zuccarello's grandparents enslave yours or something? The irrational, hypocritical stat ranting and baseless label throwing (defensive liability) is hysterical.
Wow... just wow.

Old
08-15-2011, 02:37 PM
SouthJerseyRanger

You gotta keep Zucca around and give him a chance based on his creativity and talent alone... you can't assume he will never adjust to the North American game based on 40 regular season games.

SouthJerseyRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 02:37 PM
NYR Viper

MZA will never be "fast", what he needs to continue to work on is using his edges and finding ways to utilize his small frame to be quicker in small confined spaces than the much larger defensemen he will be facing.

Every small player in the league utilizes their quick feet more than their straight-ahead speed.

I think he will be fine this year and will make the team. The Rangers will need some players who can move the puck and he has the creativity to do so. I wouldn't be surprised to see him on the 2nd line if Dubinsky moves up to play on the 1st with Callahan and Anisimov to add more skill to that line that already has (2) very good defensive players.

For his 1st year in NA, people are WAY too down on him. So he didn't light the world on fire in the NHL. So what? He destroyed the AHL when he was down there. Are you telling me that with a full off-season of training knowing what to expect he won't be a batter player than last year where he had 23 points in 42 games. Were there ups and downs? Of course! He was still finding his way.

Too small of a sample size to say get rid of him or he won't be part of the future. For all we know he will come back, play 80 games and be placed on the #1 PP and put up 55 points. No one would care about his defense then.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 04:56 PM
boyle2boyle
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
MZA will never be "fast", what he needs to continue to work on is using his edges and finding ways to utilize his small frame to be quicker in small confined spaces than the much larger defensemen he will be facing.

Every small player in the league utilizes their quick feet more than their straight-ahead speed.

I think he will be fine this year and will make the team. The Rangers will need some players who can move the puck and he has the creativity to do so. I wouldn't be surprised to see him on the 2nd line if Dubinsky moves up to play on the 1st with Callahan and Anisimov to add more skill to that line that already has (2) very good defensive players.

For his 1st year in NA, people are WAY too down on him. So he didn't light the world on fire in the NHL. So what? He destroyed the AHL when he was down there. Are you telling me that with a full off-season of training knowing what to expect he won't be a batter player than last year where he had 23 points in 42 games. Were there ups and downs? Of course! He was still finding his way.

Too small of a sample size to say get rid of him or he won't be part of the future. For all we know he will come back, play 80 games and be placed on the #1 PP and put up 55 points. No one would care about his defense then.
Good post. If this happens and he puts up 55 points, I'd be ecstatic. If Zuccarello never plays another NHL game again and Thomas comes in and puts up good numbers, I'd be happy with that, too.

The problem with much of this thread is that Zuccarello will always be a polarizing figure on this board because there are many people here who wish success for him more than they wish success for the Rangers.

boyle2boyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 05:28 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ostrichsized View Post
Good post. If this happens and he puts up 55 points, I'd be ecstatic. If Zuccarello never plays another NHL game again and Thomas comes in and puts up good numbers, I'd be happy with that, too.

The problem with much of this thread is that Zuccarello will always be a polarizing figure on this board because there are many people here who wish success for him more than they wish success for the Rangers.
And then there are the sane people, who realize the two are not mutually exclusive and that we want to see him succeed BECAUSE he's a Ranger, just like any other Rangers player, young or old.

Old
08-18-2011, 04:51 AM
TigerJack

Is it true that Nashville wants Zuccarello and are looking to make a trade?

TigerJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 07:50 AM
DrSutton*
Given Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerJack View Post
Ellis or GTFO

DrSutton* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 08:10 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerJack View Post
errrrrrr where is this rumor from? source?

Vitto79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 12:07 PM
TigerJack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
errrrrrr where is this rumor from? source?
No reliable source, just from a friend. Heard about this this winter also, so I guess itīs just a load of crap... Just donīt like all these rumours about Zuke getting traded. I hope and believe he will be on fire for the Rangers this season.

TigerJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 03:17 PM
Artem Anisimov

I dont know why everybody wants to give up on someone after his FIRST year in NA. The guy had one big issue here. He wasn't physically fit enough to play a full season and ran out of gas towards the end of the season, but is that reason to give up on a player who scored 23 pts in 43 games of his first season? Who's to say he CANT get better and stronger?

Artem Anisimov is offline   Reply With Quote