HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What should be the plan for Year 1 in Winnipeg? Re-build, Make Playoffs or Contend?

Old
06-28-2011, 04:49 PM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

vCash: 500
What should be the plan for Year 1 in Winnipeg? Re-build, Make Playoffs or Contend?

I have a sick feeling in my gut that the franchise can and so will settle for mediocrity in the coming year, be one of the league's worst and get a high draft pick. Fans will be so happy to have a team back that the team can afford to suck. Barely meeting the cap floor, signing and keeping marginal players, not going after quality UFAs (especially a legitimate top-6 forward), I hope this isn't in the cards but I suspect it is.

Do poorly in year one then 'improve' in year two (ie., simply get into the playoffs). This would be managing expectations.

OF COURSE every team wants to win but many franchises don't make decisions accordingly.

I have no problem with playing rookies and being in re-build mode. But I do not like mediocrity for profit's sake, and barely meeting the cap floor with signings of marginal players with no anticipated potential upside.

Will the team make a big trade or free agent signing? I doubt it in year one. Just let the boys play and expect them to use hard work to have about a .500 record. It would be so easy to do that. I hope they don't.

VanIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 04:52 PM
Tkachuk

Under our current circumstances I expect this team to contend for a playoff spot. Thet being said I won't be dissapointed if we miss them. I just want to always see progress, good coaching and hard work.

Really I'm just so pumped to have the Jets back this year they can't do much wrong.

Tkachuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 05:01 PM
Rakerburn

I would expect that our goal will be to just make the playoffs this year, I don't think there is any sinister reason behind it...but with an awful travel schedule and a relocated team who does not have a history of making the playoffs...maybe just getting there is a good goal this year.

Now in a few years, if we can keep this bunch together, I expect that we should be a contender...anything can happen when you can compete any given day!

Rakerburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 05:06 PM
dkehler

Slow and steady progression would seem to be the True North MO. That said, I would not be at all surprised if they made the playoffs this year.

dkehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 05:18 PM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Don't look for any big upgrades through FA this year, just bits and pieces to fill out the roster. 2012-13 is also a weak year to look for major upgrades in FA. This team will have to wait it out and hope for development of their young players. Building through the draft and developing looks to be the way TSNE is going to operate. I have full confidence we can make the playoffs next year. The main goal is to be competitive through the next 3-5 year period. That's when fans will be renewing their ST and TSNE will make every effort to make sure that happens.

Paradise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 05:18 PM
MrWigglez

I dont think they're going to go out of their way to make sure the team isnt successful this season. The UFA market is rather thin this year and TN has said time and time again that they arnt going to go out and buy a team.

I dont expect them to make any major moves this off season to improve the team but that said I also dont expect them to trade away current assets for prospects or picks. They are probably going to go into next season with what they have (with a free agent or two to fill up the bottom 6) and take it from there.

MrWigglez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 05:37 PM
pcanuck

I can't imagine rebuilding. That makes no sense. ATL was 5 wins away from a playoff spot. We're close.

We need D! Our GA was awful. If we can play better defensively, we can make the playoffs. Kulda is NHL ready but I'd love to add Jon Ericsson from DET as an UFA (maybe $3M). He's more than capable of solidifying the D.

On offense, we need depth players with character. Klingberg might be ready but UFA like: Ben Eager (1M), Vernon Fiddler (might be close to 3M), Joel Ward (2M), Blair Jones (1M), Nicklas Bergfors (could be close to 3M) could be great additions. All character guys with good upside. That's why their asking price will also be higher.

We CAN and SHOULD make the playoffs with some good and timely free agent signings.

I think if we keep it close and remain in the hunt, expect a good trade or two at the trade deadline.

pcanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 05:42 PM
bigplay41
BIG MEECH

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to bigplay41
i think were in good shape to make the playoffs, like a poster said we only missed the playoffs by 5 games last year

bigplay41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 05:42 PM
Ashe

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcanuck View Post
I can't imagine rebuilding. That makes no sense. ATL was 5 wins away from a playoff spot. We're close.

We need D! Our GA was awful. If we can play better defensively, we can make the playoffs. Kulda is NHL ready but I'd love to add Jon Ericsson from DET as an UFA (maybe $3M). He's more than capable of solidifying the D.

On offense, we need depth players with character. Klingberg might be ready but UFA like: Ben Eager (1M), Vernon Fiddler (might be close to 3M), Joel Ward (2M), Blair Jones (1M), Nicklas Bergfors (could be close to 3M) could be great additions. All character guys with good upside. That's why their asking price will also be higher.

We CAN and SHOULD make the playoffs with some good and timely free agent signings.

I think if we keep it close and remain in the hunt, expect a good trade or two at the trade deadline.
Congrats for knowing your "Team:.
Eager was traded for a bag of pucks
Bergfors was traded for an old bag of pucks.

This team is more then "5 wins away" from a playoff spot. There are glaring holes, that you addressed none of with your want of signings.

Ashe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 05:48 PM
tbcwpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashe View Post
Congrats for knowing your "Team:.
Eager was traded for a bag of pucks
Bergfors was traded for an old bag of pucks.

This team is more then "5 wins away" from a playoff spot. There are glaring holes, that you addressed none of with your want of signings.
Yeah I agree, plus I wouldn't really call Ben Eager a "character guy", he's a bit of a nutcase. Other teams will improve around the conference, the Jets also need to upgrade. Keeping the team the same won't do that. Depth is needed, a top 6 forward as well.

tbcwpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 05:50 PM
Jet
Drop the danged puck

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
I have a sick feeling in my gut that the franchise can and so will settle for mediocrity in the coming year, be one of the league's worst and get a high draft pick. Fans will be so happy to have a team back that the team can afford to suck. Barely meeting the cap floor, signing and keeping marginal players, not going after quality UFAs (especially a legitimate top-6 forward), I hope this isn't in the cards but I suspect it is.

Do poorly in year one then 'improve' in year two (ie., simply get into the playoffs). This would be managing expectations.

OF COURSE every team wants to win but many franchises don't make decisions accordingly.

I have no problem with playing rookies and being in re-build mode. But I do not like mediocrity for profit's sake, and barely meeting the cap floor with signings of marginal players with no anticipated potential upside.

Will the team make a big trade or free agent signing? I doubt it in year one. Just let the boys play and expect them to use hard work to have about a .500 record. It would be so easy to do that. I hope they don't.
I want and believe this team can make the playoffs this year. If they choose not to pick up players to make a run at the playoffs in the first year, I can assure you, it won't simply be to make money.

They have a window that not many other franchises have right now: They have a fanbase that is so excited they are here they will be avid supporters no matter what the product is on the ice. Now, I personally don't want them to do this, but if they are shrewd they could take this time to stockpile picks and prospects and really do something like what the Oilers are doing.

Again, I don't want that to happen, but it would be a very smart long term idea.

Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 06:00 PM
MAROONSRoad
f/k/a Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post

In my opinion, we want our hockey operations people to take a long term view. You want to peak at the right time. You want to manage your assets properly. The WPG franchise will be all about in-house player development and building via the draft complimented by select free agents and players acquired via trades.

I think the priority should be to improve each year from the current position, not a quick fix. Making the playoffs in year 1 is possible but shouldn't change what is a long term plan to be competitive for years to come.

MAROONSRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 06:05 PM
Waldo

Refering to the Coyotes, they had a shot at finishing 3rd or 4th in the Conference but fell short. Tippett still had managed to drag them into the playoffs but they were sooooo outclassed by the Wings and showed how mediocre they were. It was totally not worth it. I would have prefered they missed the playoffs and had higher draft picks. It was a bitter disappointment. I don't want to see the Jets squeek into the playoffs and then get totally destroyed in the 1st round. We don't have enough talent yet and could use another 5th to 7th pick in a strong draft year. That being said, I think the Jets will exceed expectations. They will be well coached and strongly motivated to succeed. The huge and exuberant crowds will keep the games exciting and I think we will make the playoffs. I just wish that wasn't the case.

Waldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 07:05 PM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcanuck View Post

Lol, epic fail for reasons already mentioned.

Huffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 07:09 PM
John Cena*
12x WWE CHAMPION!!!!

how bout both? rebuild and try to make playoffs but the main plan is rebuild.. we need weapons thru draft

John Cena* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 07:12 PM
Winnipeg Jets
Lucky #7

vCash: 1580
Depending on how July 1 goes I assume we're going to be making a strong push for the playoffs. They weren't too far off last year and with the relocation the entire team is going to be in the pressure cooker to succeed. I have a feeling we'll make it this year. It'll be good for the team to get some much needed playoff experience.

Winnipeg Jets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 07:20 PM
atl thrasher344
Believe in Blueland

I said this last season and I think we're probably in the same spot, if not further along: We are contending (for the playoffs) while also rebuilding.

We had a huge roster turnover last year and we had almost the same point total as the previous year. The goal this year is to get quality playing time for our young guys and, hopefully, that will mean success.

atl thrasher344 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 07:48 PM
razorsedge
West Town Sports

It's easy to think that under current conditions of sold out season tickets for the next 3 years, that mediocrity will be excepted so long as their is a profit for the ownership. I don't know Chipman personally, but the little but that I've heard regarding his ownership of the Moose, he is a very competitive person who wants to win.

I don't expect any significant free agent signings. I'm sure Cheveldayoff has a good idea what expectations he reasonably should have with the current roster, but it'll take a full season under his watch to understand what the team is lacking to be a contender.

Making the playoffs is the goal every year, and for GMs/coaches to keep their jobs, they need to make the playoffs.

razorsedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 08:01 PM
ducky

The plan should ALWAYS be to make the playoffs. With the development of a few key players the Jets should compete for a playoff spot. They are a few vital pieces away from contending though. Most notably a #1 centre and a top 2 line RW.

It would be incredible if Winnipeg made a splash this summer but the UFA pool is weak. Best bet is they solidify the third / fourth lines.

I expect Chevy will add a player or two (not Stamkos) during free agency. Then I expect he will watch to see how they do for the first half year. If they are close at the deadline they add, if not they trade for picks/prospects.

ducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 08:02 PM
Seanahue

This is not a team that instantly needs to make the playoffs. We have alot of youth but very little in the cupboard because we have too many players rushed into the system.

We addressed our major concern by drafting a center with the 7th overall however he will not be called up for a few years. We have a solid D but it's not very stable. Buff has shown to be a good offensive force but has also been a liability in the home zone.

Guys like Burmistrov and Kane will be really really good hockey players but they need time. Goaltending looks to be solid as I have alot of faith in Pavelic.

With time this team will be very very good but we are still young and missing some key pieces. To expect the playoffs next year is laughable at this time.

Seanahue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 08:26 PM
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist

vCash: 1165
You guys severly underrate some of our players. :shakhead

BigTuna49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 08:27 PM
jetkarma

The organization's plan is to compete for a playoff spot this season of course . You can not state otherwise and expect players to perform at the level you both want and pay them for. Saying that , realistically I don't expect to sniff the playoffs next year.

There are major needs on this team , and I highly doubt the energy of a rabid fan base and a much more solid organization will overcome those needs. The Jets ( feels GREAT to say that with a purpose ) need to develop the young talent base , build on it for a couple years , and add character and depth . On top of that some elite players have to arrive at that level. A lot of fans "expect" some of the high picks in the organization to play like a #3 or #4 , #7 , #8 , or #12 overall selections , nothing wrong with that , just it doesn't automatically happen by waiting a year or two , and many never reach those lofty anticipations.

Rick Dudley mentioned in his port mortem , that some players need to decide how good they want to be and if they are prepared to pay the price that is needed to reach elite level. So far that hasn't happened on a wide enough base imo. No reason to panic , Stable leadership is a plus as are defined expectations for players. Winnipeg probably is picking in the same range next year ( 10-12 or lower depending on the lottery) and as long as we have made salient choices this year and next , add a couple quality bottom end players a year AND have Kane and or Burmistov and or Bogosian become elite or near elite we will be on our way.

No one should expect too much too soon. This team isn't close to Cup material yet , no use hurting that long term goal by getting a bit better . Short term pain for long term gain. TSNE will be following that mantra , while competing hard and trying to be a playoff team. IMO they won't be one this year though , and that is ok as long as we are on the right road.

jetkarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 08:27 PM
ATLbound

Just my thoughts....

I hate all this rebuild and draft crap. Although it is a great method, we need to try and contend before Buf, Enstrom, Ladd, Little, Wheeler are to old. We should plan to contend when those guys are in a prime age. Nobody is going to want to wait over 5 years to be a top team and contend for a cup, sure we could after 5 more years of drafting and developing. But like Dudley said to end last year, we need a few more character and skilled players to contend SOON! I say develop Burmy, Kane, Little, Cormier, Klingberg, Scheifle, Pavs, Wheeler soon to be and try to make playoffs every year. If you just get to the playoffs you have a CHANCE.

But honestly, I would like to see us develop, while trying to stay competitve for a playoff spot. And in 3-4 years look to be a LEGIT contender. In 3-4 years time we will look like...

Buf, Enstrom, Ladd, Wheeler- 28-30
Little, Pavelec- 27-28
Kane, Burmy, Klingberg, Bogosian, Cormier etc. 23-25

And draft picks from this year and next- 21-22 ish

That seems good, in 3-4 years our core will be at their best.

ATLbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 08:32 PM
ATLbound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanahue View Post
This is not a team that instantly needs to make the playoffs. We have alot of youth but very little in the cupboard because we have too many players rushed into the system.

We addressed our major concern by drafting a center with the 7th overall however he will not be called up for a few years. We have a solid D but it's not very stable. Buff has shown to be a good offensive force but has also been a liability in the home zone.

Guys like Burmistrov and Kane will be really really good hockey players but they need time. Goaltending looks to be solid as I have alot of faith in Pavelic.

With time this team will be very very good but we are still young and missing some key pieces. To expect the playoffs next year is laughable at this time.
Have you even looked at the standings the past 2 years. Come on

I agree with Burmy, but there is no reason Kane should not hit 20 goals and 40+ points next year. No reason Buf can't be great all around, first half last year he was great all around. Then as he struggled putting up points it seemed to affect his D-zone play also. Not to Mention Little is still developing no reason he should not break 20 goals, 50+ points next season. Only thing laughable is how much you underrate this hockey club.

ATLbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 08:41 PM
jetkarma

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLbound View Post
Have you even looked at the standings the past 2 years. Come on

I agree with Burmy, but there is no reason Kane should not hit 20 goals and 40+ points next year. No reason Buf can't be great all around, first half last year he was great all around. Then as he struggled putting up points it seemed to affect his D-zone play also. Not to Mention Little is still developing no reason he should not break 20 goals, 50+ points next season. Only thing laughable is how much you underrate this hockey club.
By underrate do you mean a team that has made the playoffs consistently?

A lot of areas need improving , not that that can't or won't happen , but this team isn't like Chicago was 3 years ago imo. It may get there , but not next year.

jetkarma is offline   Reply With Quote