HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Singer Amy Winehouse found dead

Closed Thread

Old
07-23-2011, 05:16 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogopogo View Post
Food addiction is fundamentally different in that you need food every single day. You cannot get away from it. The addiction is similar but nobody ever needs to try coke, crack or any other deadly narcotic.
Its not that different. It affects the same area of the brain and gives a similar response. Food addiction has nothing to do with needing food. There are usually emotional problems involved.

Bottom line is these are people we are talking about. With families, friends and loved ones.

Saying they are without worth or not worthy of our sympathy is a pretty scary/sad reaction from where I sit.

Old
07-23-2011, 05:17 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Food addiction is fundamentally different in that you need food every single day. You cannot get away from it. The addiction is similar but nobody ever needs to try coke, crack or any other deadly narcotic.
you don't know what you're talking about. the addiction fundamentally comes from the same place, the medium is different.
also take into account personality disorders, chemical imbalances, family heridity, etc...

it's not as black and white as you shouldn't try drugs, its all your fault!

Old
07-23-2011, 05:18 PM
alanschu

Haha that's what I figured.

Though I have no desire to use the stuff, I've always figured that if we allow alcohol, then why not marijuana?

I don't think sugar is classified as a drug however.

Old
07-23-2011, 05:21 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanschu View Post
I don't think sugar is classified as a drug however.
Well try going a week without eating anything that has processed sugar in it your body will react negatively

Old
07-23-2011, 05:21 PM
CupofOil

Quote:
Addiction is addiction whether it be food, drugs, alcohol, gambling or whatever.
It's easy to judge somebody when you're speaking from the other side of the spectrum (not you in particular but in general).

Old
07-23-2011, 05:23 PM
alanschu

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
Well try going a week without eating anything that has processed sugar in it your body will react negatively
By processed sugar I presume you mean high-fructose corn syrup?

If you can tell me what you mean by "processed sugar" I'll give that a try.

Old
07-23-2011, 05:24 PM
Ogopogo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Its not that different. It affects the same area of the brain and gives a similar response. Food addiction has nothing to do with needing food. There are usually emotional problems involved.

Bottom line is these are people we are talking about. With families, friends and loved ones.

Saying they are without worth or not worthy of our sympathy is a pretty scary/sad reaction from where I sit.
Nobody said these people are without worth. I said, you are crossing a major line when you try drugs the first time. The first time you attempt it you are pissing on common sense and all that is right and risking death. Death could be instant or take years but, the first time you cross that line could be the end of your productive life.

When someone plays Russian roulette and points that revolver at their own head voluntarily, it is hard to feel bad for them when it actually fires. They chose the game, knowing full well what the risks were. People act like drug addiction is some disease like breast cancer. Nothing could be further from the truth, this is a death that you fully choose yourself.

Old
07-23-2011, 05:28 PM
boredmale

Quote:
By processed sugar I presume you mean high-fructose corn syrup?
If you look at a box or can and is says sugar on it basically. I probably used the wrong word and ment refined not processed.

In terms of Sugar being a drug here is an essay I found online that states how I feel much better then I could

http://www.lurj.org/article.php/vol1n1/sugar.xml

Last edited by boredmale: 07-23-2011 at 05:37 PM.
Old
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Nobody said these people are without worth. I said, you are crossing a major line when you try drugs the first time. The first time you attempt it you are pissing on common sense and all that is right and risking death. Death could be instant or take years but, the first time you corss that line could be the end of your productive life.

When someone plays Russian roulette and points that revolver at their own head voluntarily, it is hard to feel bad for them when it actually fires. They chose the game, knowing full well what the risks were. People act like drug addiction is some disease like breast cancer. Nothing could be further from the truth, this is a death that you fully choose yourself.
Do you drink alcohol?

Are those that choose to playing Russian Roulette?

As for saying "these people" are without worth, maybe you should go and read the first page of this thread again.

Old
jbean

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicat View Post
Oh well. Life goes on with one less drain on society around. I don't mourn the loss of junkies. Sorry.
Yeesh, some people don't even have a shred of empathy for a human being with a substance abuse problem. She made some bad decisions but she payed for it with her young life.

Old
07-23-2011, 05:29 PM
Ogopogo*

Quote:
Do you drink alcohol?

Are those that choose to playing Russian Roulette?
No, I don't drink.

If people have the tendency to be addicted, yes they are.

Old
07-23-2011, 05:31 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbean View Post
Yeesh, some people don't even have a shred of empathy for a human being with a substance abuse problem. She made some bad decisions but she payed for it with her young life.
Probably 1000 people better than this person died today and there is nothing said about them. Celebrity shouldn't make you a better or more significant person. I'll feel more sorry for the near 100 people killed in Norway that I've never heard of before that did nothing to deserve their fate than the one that destroyed themself.

Old
07-23-2011, 05:35 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
No, I don't drink.

If people have the tendency to be addicted, yes they are.
And they know they have a tendency to be addicted?

Is there even such a thing?

Do we come with a warning label that tells us we have a tendency to be addicted?

What about those that dont have a tendency to be addicted and yet still become addicted anyway?

And if someone does become addicted, there is no one to blame but themselves, regardless if they have been sexually molested as a youngster, neglected, abused, beaten, mentally abused, have chemical imbalances or any number of a thousand things that could contribute to them making a "decision", they are all balled up together and thrown into the caldron of judgement.

Old
07-23-2011, 05:35 PM
jbean

Quote:
So because someone makes the wrong decision you lose sympathy for them?

I work at a liquour store and I see many kind people who are clearly alcoholics and it heartbreaking. You can condemn them all you want for whatever mistakes they have made in their mind but I personally feel very sorry for them.

Old
07-23-2011, 05:37 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
Probably 1000 people better than this person died today and there is nothing said about them. Celebrity shouldn't make you a better or more significant person. I'll feel more sorry for the near 100 people killed in Norway that I've never heard of before that did nothing to deserve their fate than the one that destroyed themself.
Here is a tip.

Nobody is any better than anyone else.

Sometimes this place disgusts me.

Old
07-23-2011, 05:40 PM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

Quote:
Here is a tip.

Nobody is any better than anyone else.

Sometimes this place disgusts me.
Usually you can chalk it up to the internet being the internet but unfortunately the type of thinking in this thread is not that uncommon in the real world despite the hypocrisy of so many of the people that take that stance.

Old
07-23-2011, 05:42 PM
Ogopogo*

Quote:
And they know they have a tendency to be addicted?

Is there even such a thing?

Do we come with a warning label that tells us we have a tendency to be addicted?

What about those that dont have a tendency to be addicted and yet still become addicted anyway?

And if someone does become addicted, there is no one to blame but themselves, regardless if they have been sexually molested as a youngster, neglected, abused, beaten, mentally abused, have chemical imbalances or any number of a thousand things that could contribute to them making a "decision", they are all balled up together and thrown into the caldron of judgement.
What about the person that was molested/neglected/abused etc. and they decide to murder a half dozen people? Should we just accept that is wasn't their fault? Garbage. As an adult human being you are responsible for your actions. Get the help you need but, don't just blame your self destruction on other people. Many who go through the same crap decide to live productive and fruitful lives.

People might have crappy lives but, we still decide whether or not to play Russian roulette. If there was no alcohol, many people's lives would be much better off. There are so many negative and destructive things that have resulted from alcohol consumption, it just doesn't seem to be a wise decision to drink.

If it's not wise to drink, ingesting narcotics is freaking idiotic.

Old
07-23-2011, 05:44 PM
Spawn

This thread is headed in a bad direction. I imagine if you find it necessary to discuss her death you can do so in the entertainment section of HFBoards on page 2 (located in the top right corner directly under the "Log Out")

Old
07-23-2011, 07:59 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
Thanks, unfortunately i had to hit rock bottom to scare me straight but it was all for the better, perhaps this is why i feel some sympathy for those that suffer through addiction.
At least you had the sense to turn it around once you hit rock bottom, I knew a guy that hits rock bottom about every couple of years and I'm pretty sure to this day he is still doing some drug form of opium.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavaresmagicalplay View Post
But you just said your parents(or dad at least) made a concerted effort to steer you away from that stuff in a previous post. You can't concede that other people don't have that same fortune or even get educated on what these drugs do to you?

I'm not absolving addicts of any responsibility but I think people pass judgment on these people way too often and make no effort to understand their condition.

BTW I can say the same thing just so you know(including alcohol, taken 2 sips in my whole life). I was never an addict if thats what you got from my posts and none of my family has been either. I have known a few though and know what they go through and do recognize it as a sickness. To be honest I can't believe some people don't.
I am grateful for that lesson from my dad, however we also had drug abuse prevention classes in our elementary school (whole lotta good that did for most of our future addicts). There was drug use close to me when I was a kid and I still didn't go there, anyone that knows me knows that I am stubborn and that when I make up my mind I'm not backing down.

Quote:
I think that this has a lot to do with why it can be hard to understand how someone like Amy (or anyone else... like... say... my uncle) gets caught up in this sort of stuff.

For the record I also have never once done an illegal drug. I didn't even drink while underage. I'm confused by it as well!
I think that a lot of it is sheep mentality, my friend does it so I'll be uncool if I don't, etc. As a matter of fact I stopped hanging around certain friends when they started hitting the dope scene. All they wanted to do was get ****ed up, so we had nothing in common anymore. I feel bad for those that have parents that do drugs and even worse the ones that have parents that GIVE their young children illegal drugs (oh yes, I've heard of this kind of crap ).

Quote:
Are you implying that people turn to a life of drugs because they see someone like Amy that does drugs and whatnot?
Unfortunately there are a lot of impressionable young people out there that might wonder why their idol does such a thing and then in turn gives it a try.