HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

In Super Mario Bros 2...

Old
07-23-2011, 08:40 PM
robert terwilliger
the bart, the

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wayne View Post
If the Wii is letting you save your progress, that's really lame. What's next? 60 guys for Contra plus save points just so a 10yo punk can say they beat a game? Shame
it's not that it saves, it's just that going back to the main screen saves exactly where you were, like you're leaving it running in the background. there's no "save" selection.

robert terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 08:50 PM
Long Duk Dong
Sammich King

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert terwilliger View Post
it's not that it saves, it's just that going back to the main screen saves exactly where you were, like you're leaving it running in the background. there's no "save" selection.
Umm......

Long Duk Dong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 08:52 PM
MayDay

Quote:
What would you call it then?
It's a freeze state, like you find in any emulator.

They didn't add a save functionality onto the original game.

MayDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 08:54 PM
robert terwilliger
the bart, the

Quote:
What would you call it then?
it's like it pauses the game in the emulator. you don't go "pause-save". if you hit the home button, it stops everything to bring up the menu and you go to the main screen. but you're not saving anything. it's just the default of the downloaded game.

robert terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 09:03 PM
Long Duk Dong
Sammich King

If an emulator pauses or freeze-states your progress in a game so you can resume it at a much later time like a day or more, it's a save. You pause a game to go to the bathroom or eat dinner. This is no different than emulators having Game Genie built in.

Long Duk Dong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 09:21 PM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

Quote:
If an emulator pauses or freeze-states your progress in a game so you can resume it at a much later time like a day or more, it's a save. You pause a game to go to the bathroom or eat dinner. This is no different than emulators having Game Genie built in.
Who cares? I hated having to leave my system on if I had to go somewhere back in the day. There were days when I'd leave my system on all weekend cause we were going away! Glad they added this feature.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 09:32 PM
Osprey

Super Mario Bros. 2 is my favorite of the series, actually, and some of that is because of Luigi. I played him almost exclusively. It was so much fun to able to jump so high, especially because the levels were much taller than SMB1's. Occasionally, on tricky, mostly-horizontal levels like ice and some cloud levels, after I'd died many times and gotten frustrated, I'd switch to Peach, since her long, predictable flight was most useful on such levels, but I really did prefer Luigi 98% of the time.

Besides just the fun of playing Luigi, SMB2 is also my favorite because of the aforementioned verticality in many levels. It really blew the ceiling and floor out of SMB1. I guess that you could say that it was a much better game "engine." Also, SMB2 had a rich palette and each level had a very different feel. SMB3 carried on much of these, but SMB2 did it first and it was such a fresh change after the blandness of SMB1 (no verticality, only 4 types of levels, limited color palette, only one character to play, etc.). Maybe you had to have logged hundreds of hours playing SMB1 between '84 and '88 to really appreciate SMB2; I don't know. Anyways, I really, really enjoyed SMB2 and tend to go back and play it more often than the others.

Quote:
There's a big difference between a savegame that you can load only once and one that you can load an unlimited number of times. The former helps you only by not requiring you to beat the game in one sitting. The idea that you should have to beat the game in one sitting is absolutely absurd. The only reason why some early Nintendo games required you to do that is that the NES had no storage, so no way to save progress. It was a technical limitation, not a design choice. That's why developers came up with the idea of codes, so that you could resume at a particular spot in the game. It's also why Super Mario Bros and some other games introduced warps, so that you could get back to where you were more quickly. A game that had no way to quickly get back to where you previously were was simply poorly designed, not "hardcore." Being able to say that you beat a game in six straight hours one afternoon doesn't make you any better at the game than the guy who beat it in six 1-hour sittings over six days; it just says that you had nothing better to do.

Last edited by Osprey: 07-24-2011 at 06:15 AM.
Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 11:09 PM
Rpro

Count me in as a big fan of SMB2. I actually HATED SMB1. SMB3 is the best in the series though.

Rpro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 11:47 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
I don't understand why a company would remove such a big selling item from their menu. They had to make good money off of them. So we're about the same age if you knew about those. Remember when Kentucky Fried Chicken was actually really good before they became KFC? I used to love it.
Yea I don't think anyone really knows why they discontinued them. I was pretty young at the time, but I remember my mom told me Colonel Sander's wife didn't like them. Moms maybe she meant CEO

We hardly ever ate there after they took the sandwiches away. I remember thinking how stupid the name "KFC" was. It kind of grew on me now i guess. I still rarely go there

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 12:07 AM
karnige
Real Life FTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayDay View Post
I am well aware of the origin of the game.

However, the American SMB2 sold millions of copies. It originated many characters and enemies that have become regulars in the Mario universe (such as Bob-ombs, Shy Guys, and Pokeys). It was the first Mario game that made actual distinctions between Mario and Luigi, giving them different strengths and weaknesses (an idea that would become common to later Mario games). It was the first Mario game to let you play as non-Mario Bros. characters. To just dismiss it and say it isn't the "real" SMB2 does a disservice to its place in Mario history.

I've played them both to completion several times, and my judgment is that the American SMB2 is much more innovative, had more of a lasting impact on the Mario franchise, and is just flat-out a better game than the Japanese SMB2. The Japanese SMB2 is basically just a re-hash of SMB1, except harder.
yeah they added characters and it sold a lot of copies but that doesn't change the fact it wasn't really super mario playability. so no it isn't a real super mario game.

karnige is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 12:13 AM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

I really enjoyed SMB2. Obviously isn't the best, but I still had a ton of fun playing it. I think I appreciate it even more today because of how unique it is. It's a nice change of pace from the usual plot. The bizarre-ness made the game fun. They need to bring back some of the characters from the game. Hell, I'd be down for a full blown remake "New Super Mario Bros 2 Wii"

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 12:36 AM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by karnige View Post
yeah they added characters and it sold a lot of copies but that doesn't change the fact it wasn't really super mario playability. so no it isn't a real super mario game.
That's like saying Link's Adventure wasn't a real Zelda game.

Countless games start as something else and the morph into what they become. The original Donkey Kong was originally a Popeye game. Is that not a real Donkey Kong game? It was a great game, too. Different, but great.

And I almost always played with Peach.

SK13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 12:40 AM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

vCash: 610
When my brother and I got our NES, we could choose one game. Like an idiot, I chose Adventure Island over Super Mario 2. An error I made up for by buying SMB2 a month later. That was a lousy first month, though.

I'd say every character (save Mario) had their own worlds in which they dominated. Luigi was king of the sand levels (although Toad digs like a boss). Princess floats through the ice levels. And Toad rules the normal levels.

The music still sticks in my head from time to time. Way too often I get stopped in a hallway and asked if I'm whistling SMB2, and I'm unaware that I am even doing it.

Too bad Wart never got his revenge. Loved that guy. Burp attacks FTW.

Wasn't there a warp that was only accessible by using Luigi? World 2-1 or 3-1, I can't remember. That pissed me off the first few times I forgot to select him.

Psycho Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 01:15 AM
clefty
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixcuincle View Post
Mario 2 is possibly one of the worst games of all time.
Your taste in games is horrible.

clefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 02:14 AM
neofury*

Mario 2 > Lost Levels.

There it is, I said it.

Also it's a real Mario game cause Nintendo says so.

Mario Sunshine isn't the same as the other Mario's either and is pretty bad imo. But it's still a Mario game.

Just because Nintendo bought a game and turned it into Mario 2 doesn't mean it isn't Mario 2

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 03:20 AM
Rpro

Quote:
Originally Posted by karnige View Post
So by your estimation anything from Super Mario 64 and onwards isn't a real Super Mario game, right?

Rpro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 04:52 AM
Zih
Dater's Gonna Hate

vCash: 50
Quote:
Mario 3 didn't have a save either champ. I bought it the day it came out from Kay-Bee for $70. I was a 10yo pimp walking through the mall on that day. KFC Chicken Littles and a biscuit for a celebratory lunch too. People saw the yellow box through the bag and got jealous. Great times

Mario 2 sucked. That would be like Space Harrier featuring Pitfall Harry.
Mario 3 had whistles that could get you to pretty much any world in the game within 15 minutes.

Also, Peach was pretty much the "I win" button for SMB2.

Zih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 04:52 AM
clefty
What?

Lost Levels is just the first game all over again except stupid hard. Boring. It just doesn't 'feel' right either, its like the control is kind of floaty which makes the jumping plain frustrating. How anyone can prefer that to the unique awesomeness that to SMB 2, or indeed flat out reject SMB 2 is insane, they either don't know a good game from a hole in the ground or are, like stated in post #5, crusty old "snobs and pedants."

clefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 07:31 AM
Francesa
(╯□)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

Couldn't get past the first level of SMB2 without losing interest

Beat SMB 1 3 and World without problem

Therefore I stand by my video game slur

Francesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 04:56 PM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixcuincle View Post
Couldn't get past the first level of SMB2 without losing interest

Beat SMB 1 3 and World without problem

Therefore I stand by my video game slur
Ah, so, you were no good at it and hardly even played it; therefore, it's one of the worst games of all time. Thanks for clearing that up

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 05:11 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

It's definitely a strange game, but it's still one I enjoy from time to time.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 05:13 PM
Francesa
(╯□)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
Ah, so, you were no good at it and hardly even played it; therefore, it's one of the worst games of all time. Thanks for clearing that up
Was just so boring

Sorry

Francesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 06:42 PM
vippe

Send a message via MSN to vippe
I liked SMB2 except for the final boss... And I mostly used princess or Luigi because they were funniest but if I was doing a speedrun I used to play Toad on most levels. Rarely if ever did I play with Mario

vippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 08:04 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK13 View Post
That's like saying Link's Adventure wasn't a real Zelda game.

Countless games start as something else and the morph into what they become. The original Donkey Kong was originally a Popeye game. Is that not a real Donkey Kong game? It was a great game, too. Different, but great.

And I almost always played with Peach.
Better example for you: No Super Mario Bros games (including successors like SMW, SM64, SMG, etc) are really "mario" games since they're all radically different from the original Mario Bros

I used to always play as Luigi and Princess Toadstool (still can't get used to calling her "Peach" even though it's been like 15 years since they started using it outside of Japan), but after coming back to hte game in recent years I used Toad a whole lot more.

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."
'14-15 Sharks CI Tracker: 22 GP, 8-10-4 (home-away-Nat'l/In-Region)
Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
The Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 09:09 PM
Kardi

I use the princess

Kardi is offline   Reply With Quote