HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Norway terror attacks

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-24-2011, 12:21 AM
  #76
Tavaresmagicalplay*
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 19,306
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Engineer View Post
There was a Middle Eastern group of some sort that claimed responsibility, initially.

The "baseless speculation" wasn't as baseless as that.
Yes I was actually going to say that only the first part is not actually true. They didn't actually claim responsibility. It was more like some guy on a message board saying "they had it coming!". Pretty much every news outlet had posted a retraction of that. I'm not sure if it was an english message board or not though. That might have been where the foul up came from.

Tavaresmagicalplay* is offline  
Old
07-24-2011, 12:24 AM
  #77
Sabres1026*
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 305
vCash: 500
Can't be executed and has to be released within 21 years, what a system Norway has. If you commit premeditated murder the death penalty should be mandatory. Why should anyone want someone like this guy alive? The world is a better place without this guy and all these political/religious extremists.

Sabres1026* is offline  
Old
07-24-2011, 12:28 AM
  #78
Tavaresmagicalplay*
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 19,306
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabres1026 View Post
Can't be executed and has to be released within 21 years, what a system Norway has. If you commit premeditated murder the death penalty should be mandatory. Why should anyone want someone like this guy alive? The world is a better place without this guy and all these political/religious extremists.
Now thats hard to believe. For real? There's no such thing as a life sentence over there?

Tavaresmagicalplay* is offline  
Old
07-24-2011, 12:36 AM
  #79
The Imp
Registered User
 
The Imp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Country: Denmark
Posts: 3,435
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavaresmagicalplay View Post
Now thats hard to believe. For real? There's no such thing as a life sentence over there?
As I said earlier, if they consider him to be an on-going threat to society, they can confine him indefinitely (he'd get a review every so often though). The basic punishment for his crime is 21 years (max. in Norway), but they could well decide that he's eligible for more or less permanent lock-up.

It's called "forvaring".

The Imp is offline  
Old
07-24-2011, 12:37 AM
  #80
Tavaresmagicalplay*
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 19,306
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Engineer View Post
As I said earlier, if they consider him to be an on-going threat to society, they can confine him indefinitely (he'd get a review every so often though). The basic punishment for his crime is 21 years (max. in Norway), but they could well decide that he's eligible for more or less permanent lock-up.

It's called "forvaring".
That doesn't sound so bad....unless he actually gets out.

Tavaresmagicalplay* is offline  
Old
07-24-2011, 12:51 AM
  #81
SuperUke99
Registered User
 
SuperUke99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 490
vCash: 500
Makes my stomach turn when someone takes innocent lives like this instead of their own. This is why I believe there is a hell and he will rot there and be tormented by demons for all eternity. God help the families deal with their losses.....truly sad.

SuperUke99 is offline  
Old
07-24-2011, 12:54 AM
  #82
Dorian2
Positional Bias.
 
Dorian2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,846
vCash: 500
Varg Vikernes, aka Count Grishnackh, says hi. All the Nord posters and many of the Swede's will know what this is referring to. Utter Mayhem in the land of Burzum if you ask me.

Dorian2 is offline  
Old
07-24-2011, 01:09 AM
  #83
harpoon
FOB
 
harpoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 4,485
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
My point was simply that I HOPED that some of the posters here were over exaggerating because if they weren't then it's complete BS.
Never fear BBO , the posters are indeed exaggerating - or choosing to look at only the news reports that allow them to beat their chests in outrage . A simple glance through the news outlets would make it obvious that this is being called a "terror" attack . Not only that , the criminal's blond , blue-eyed , fundamentalist Christian traits are mentioned in every article I've read .

harpoon is offline  
Old
07-24-2011, 01:12 AM
  #84
Baby Nilsson
Registered User
 
Baby Nilsson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Victoria
Posts: 1,318
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavaresmagicalplay View Post
Now thats hard to believe. For real? There's no such thing as a life sentence over there?
Nope (except for what engineer said), Scandinavian countries have very liberal laws. Their prisons are like resorts.. seriously. In Denmark they have communal kitchens and the both sex prisoners can live together, families too.. lol. Apparently their re offending rate is low, but I donno.

Norway I think has a tougher max security prison, so that's a tiny consolation I guess.

Baby Nilsson is offline  
Old
07-24-2011, 01:21 AM
  #85
Wheatking
Registered User
 
Wheatking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,236
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian2 View Post
Varg Vikernes, aka Count Grishnackh, says hi. All the Nord posters and many of the Swede's will know what this is referring to. Utter Mayhem in the land of Burzum if you ask me.
Varg was actually the first person I thought of when I heard about this.

Wheatking is offline  
Old
07-24-2011, 01:32 AM
  #86
Alawishis
Registered User
 
Alawishis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Sherwood Park
Country: Canada
Posts: 714
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
This is the nutjob in question



Looks like he was a freemason. That puts a rather creepy spin on this whole thing. Isn't one of their saying "ORDO AB CHAO" or "order out of chaos"?

Alawishis is offline  
Old
07-24-2011, 01:36 AM
  #87
SuperUke99
Registered User
 
SuperUke99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 490
vCash: 500
http://www.calgarysun.com/2011/07/23...lticulturalism

SuperUke99 is offline  
Old
07-24-2011, 01:38 AM
  #88
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(
 
Mr Forever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: COLLEGE
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,743
vCash: 500
This is so sad, oh my god. All my thoughts and prayers go out to Norway and the victims of this act of evil.


When can this evil just end?

Mr Forever is offline  
Old
07-24-2011, 01:48 AM
  #89
syz
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
 
syz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,956
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrForever View Post
This is so sad, oh my god. All my thoughts and prayers go out to Norway and the victims of this act of evil.


When can this evil just end?
When nationalism goes away.

syz is offline  
Old
07-24-2011, 01:51 AM
  #90
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(
 
Mr Forever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: COLLEGE
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,743
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by syz View Post
When nationalism goes away.
Nationalism is fine, it's when rugged individualism clouds over it to create all these sorts of Jingoism, ideas where you're so much better than everyone else that they don't even deserve freedom.

Mr Forever is offline  
Old
07-24-2011, 01:54 AM
  #91
Baby Nilsson
Registered User
 
Baby Nilsson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Victoria
Posts: 1,318
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon View Post
Never fear BBO , the posters are indeed exaggerating - or choosing to look at only the news reports that allow them to beat their chests in outrage . A simple glance through the news outlets would make it obvious that this is being called a "terror" attack . Not only that , the criminal's blond , blue-eyed , fundamentalist Christian traits are mentioned in every article I've read .
Well you also have news agencies backtracking on high gear. It's kinda like Eklund jumping on a "source".

For example this gem from the NY times:

" Terrorism specialists said that even if the authorities ultimately ruled out terrorism as the cause of Friday's assaults, other kinds of groups or individuals were mimicking al-Qaida's signature brutality and multiple attacks.

"If it does turn out to be someone with more political motivations, it shows these groups are learning from what they see from al-Qaida," said Brian Fishman, a counterterrorism researcher at the New America Foundation in Washington."

They "fixed" it, but it's nice to know that we can rely on prominent news sources like the NY Times to accurately represent the use of the word terrorism, right?


Last edited by Baby Nilsson: 07-24-2011 at 01:59 AM.
Baby Nilsson is offline  
Old
07-24-2011, 02:01 AM
  #92
Redbarchettayyz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 105
vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian2 View Post
Varg Vikernes, aka Count Grishnackh, says hi. All the Nord posters and many of the Swede's will know what this is referring to. Utter Mayhem in the land of Burzum if you ask me.
Unfortunately, one of my first thoughts upon hearing about this was "It better not be Varg"

Redbarchettayyz is offline  
Old
07-24-2011, 02:13 AM
  #93
SuperUke99
Registered User
 
SuperUke99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 490
vCash: 500
Terrorists can be any color. Definite disconnect though from what his posted beliefs are (against multiculturalism and Islam) and his actions? The video on the sun website portrays some wild info though which I have read about in the past but mostly from sources in Denmark.

SuperUke99 is offline  
Old
07-24-2011, 02:16 AM
  #94
N O T O R I O U S
╱█¯█¯██¯█★█¯██¯█¯█╲
 
N O T O R I O U S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: ╱Kurdistan
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,692
vCash: 1100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabres1026 View Post
Can't be executed and has to be released within 21 years, what a system Norway has. If you commit premeditated murder the death penalty should be mandatory. Why should anyone want someone like this guy alive? The world is a better place without this guy and all these political/religious extremists.
Killing that many people & and you only get 21 years,,

They should just beat the guy to death.

N O T O R I O U S is offline  
Old
07-24-2011, 02:20 AM
  #95
syz
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
 
syz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,956
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperUke99 View Post
Terrorists can be any color. Definite disconnect though from what his posted beliefs are (against multiculturalism and Islam) and his actions? The video on the sun website portrays some wild info though which I have read about in the past but mostly from sources in Denmark.
From what I can gather his goal was simply to send a message to the ruling party however he could. The island was a youth summer camp for the Labor Party, who he feels is supporting "cultural marxism".

Quite honestly, I believe he just wanted to buy himself a soapbox. Everyone is listening to him now, and I expect him to spit out some ridiculous **** at the first chance he gets.

syz is offline  
Old
07-24-2011, 02:24 AM
  #96
harpoon
FOB
 
harpoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 4,485
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Nilsson View Post
Well you also have news agencies backtracking on high gear. It's kinda like Eklund jumping on a "source".

For example this gem from the NY times:

" Terrorism specialists said that even if the authorities ultimately ruled out terrorism as the cause of Friday's assaults, other kinds of groups or individuals were mimicking al-Qaida's signature brutality and multiple attacks.

"If it does turn out to be someone with more political motivations, it shows these groups are learning from what they see from al-Qaida," said Brian Fishman, a counterterrorism researcher at the New America Foundation in Washington."

They "fixed" it, but it's nice to know that we can rely on prominent news sources like the NY Times to accurately represent the use of the word terrorism, right?
The criminal himself references al-Qaida in his "manifesto" . So I don't see the need to "backtrack" . Lets be honest , this madman was well aware of terrorist acts committed by others in the past , and in fact admired them and most likely learned from them .

If a few news outlets jumped the gun in the early hours with some speculation about who might have been responsible I can't say I really blame them given world events over say the last decade or so . To come on here and complain about how certain groups may or may not have been portrayed in the media is extremely insensitive to the real victims of this tragedy imo .

harpoon is offline  
Old
07-24-2011, 02:24 AM
  #97
ChokeOnOil
i hate my team
 
ChokeOnOil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,663
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavaresmagicalplay View Post
I just found out they were saying it was a kurdish terrorist group initially. Guess who's kurdish? This guy.
Probably because of the Mallah that was under prosecution the day earlier. I'm in Hawler aka Erbil right now.

ChokeOnOil is offline  
Old
07-24-2011, 02:41 AM
  #98
N O T O R I O U S
╱█¯█¯██¯█★█¯██¯█¯█╲
 
N O T O R I O U S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: ╱Kurdistan
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,692
vCash: 1100
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChokeOnOil View Post
Probably because of the Mallah that was under prosecution the day earlier. I'm in Hawler aka Erbil right now.
So how's the weather down there ?

N O T O R I O U S is offline  
Old
07-24-2011, 02:55 AM
  #99
Bryanbryoil
Moderator
Paying Off A Bet
 
Bryanbryoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 51,041
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Engineer View Post
As I said earlier, if they consider him to be an on-going threat to society, they can confine him indefinitely (he'd get a review every so often though). The basic punishment for his crime is 21 years (max. in Norway), but they could well decide that he's eligible for more or less permanent lock-up.

It's called "forvaring".
I love that idea, in the States once you serve your sentence you are free to go no matter how ****ed up you are, repeat child offenders, murderers, rapists, etc. If they aren't fit to be put back into society because they are likely to re-offend then FFS keep them behind bars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon View Post
Never fear BBO , the posters are indeed exaggerating - or choosing to look at only the news reports that allow them to beat their chests in outrage . A simple glance through the news outlets would make it obvious that this is being called a "terror" attack . Not only that , the criminal's blond , blue-eyed , fundamentalist Christian traits are mentioned in every article I've read .
I was hoping that your take was the case, there will always be crappy journalism, but as a whole this should be to Norway what the OKC bombing was to the US, a homegrown POS terrorist that took innocent lives.

__________________
Treat Others As You Would Like To Be Treated
Bryanbryoil is offline  
Old
07-24-2011, 03:06 AM
  #100
Tavaresmagicalplay*
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 19,306
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChokeOnOil View Post
Probably because of the Mallah that was under prosecution the day earlier. I'm in Hawler aka Erbil right now.
Hahaha you're kurdish too eh? Or just travelling? Anyways I went back a few summers ago too. Travelled all over the kurdish regions of Iraq and Iran.

Tavaresmagicalplay* is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:41 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.