Ampersand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 01:33 AM
ReverendAlBundy
Loungetown mortician

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
Great game for him tonight. Definitely a good thing for him, but as piqued said, training camp will probably be more important.
Shouldnt be a problem. Last year at the development camp he looked like the best player on the ice by a country mile. He should easily outplay most of our D-squad at training camp next year.

ReverendAlBundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 01:34 AM
ReverendAlBundy
Loungetown mortician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ampersand View Post
Dillon-Fistric pairing?
Godspeed any forward skating in towards that.

ReverendAlBundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 01:35 AM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ampersand View Post
Dillon-Fistric pairing?
No, Dillon is probably too good to put with Fistric. I'd try him out with Larsen...

Frozen Failure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 09:44 AM
BigG44

If anything, that Dillon-Daley pair was a legitimate glimpse at a potential pair next season.

I don't know that they'd pair a 2nd year pro (Larsen) with Dillon.

I guess for at least one of the D positions, they'll go into next season with Pardy, Dillon, Jordie Benn, Nemeth, and Oleksiak fighting for one spot.

If Pardy wins a Top 6 D role, Benn is my guess for 7th D. If anyone else wins a Top 6 D role, Pardy is the 7th.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 09:50 AM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Think it was in the GDT, I want these:

Goligoski - Benn/FA (Garrison, Wideman?)
Daley - Dillon
Fistric - Larsen
Pardy

Nemeth gets a year to adjust to NA, Oleksiak a year to adjust to pro.

And to think, two years ago our D prospect pool was almost completely bare and had no potential.

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 10:05 AM
BigG44

Quote:
Daley - Dillon
Fistric - Larsen
Pardy
I don't think replacing Sheldon Souray and Stephane Robidas with Brenden Dillon and Jordie Benn makes the team better.

There's a lot of hate for those two, but Benn is a nice story who will get over-exposed in an 82 game NHL season. He still needs time to develop his game IMO if he's ever going to be an NHL everyday player.

Dillon replacing Robidas would likely prove to be an improvement, but I still believe Souray is a better option unless you can trade for a guy or sign Suter. I don't believe Souray is the 2nd best defender in free agency, I just don't think it's smart to pay for anyone in this crop other than Suter. I truly believe you'll be so disappointed in Wideman/Carle/Garrison based on the significant salary they'll likely command.

Old
04-08-2012, 10:13 AM
BigG44

Jordie Benn has two years of experience against decent competition. His entire junior career was in the BCHL. That's a good league for 17 and 18 year olds getting ready for the NCAA, but he played his entire junior career there.

Then after a year in the ECHL, he takes a step down to the CHL presumably to be closer to his brother (Jamie Benn's first season in Dallas).

He definitely showed he can keep it together for a a game or two, and he has a potential. They just don't need to count on him as a 5th or 6th defender in the NHL yet. However, as a 7th defender playing 20 or 30 games he could be fine. Although, another year in the AHL would probably be better for him.

Old
04-08-2012, 10:27 AM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
I don't think replacing Sheldon Souray and Stephane Robidas with Brenden Dillon and Jordie Benn makes the team better.

There's a lot of hate for those two, but Benn is a nice story who will get over-exposed in an 82 game NHL season. He still needs time to develop his game IMO if he's ever going to be an NHL everyday player.

Dillon replacing Robidas would likely prove to be an improvement, but I still believe Souray is a better option unless you can trade for a guy or sign Suter. I don't believe Souray is the 2nd best defender in free agency, I just don't think it's smart to pay for anyone in this crop other than Suter. I truly believe you'll be so disappointed in Wideman/Carle/Garrison based on the significant salary they'll likely command.
I really do think next year will be the worst of the 5. It'll be a transition year, getting everyone adjusted and figuring out who's in it for the long haul. I see what you mean, with him being overexposed, but at least he's got potential.

If this isn't their last year, next year has to be it for Souray and Robidas.

I'll take Garrison over Robidas and Dillon over Souray most of the time. I wouldn't mind risking ~$4M on Garrison or Wideman, as long as its only for a couple years. But I really don't see either of them signing for that short when I'm sure someone will be willing to take a much bigger risk on them.

Old
04-08-2012, 11:08 AM
Mr Misty
The Irons Are Back!

Quote:
Think it was in the GDT, I want these:

Daley - Dillon
Fistric - Larsen
Pardy

Nemeth gets a year to adjust to NA, Oleksiak a year to adjust to pro.

And to think, two years ago our D prospect pool was almost completely bare and had no potential.
This is what needs to happen, especially the parts about Nemeth and Oleksiak. In reality, we wont get rid of Robidas, and he will bump Dillon down to the 7th dman.

Mr Misty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 02:16 PM
StarsFan74

Quote:
Preferably, they'd both be gone, but I'm not sure both holes can be filled effectively, depending on the return.
If you get Garrison, then he fills Robidas' space. You can add a little to Robidas' current salary and structure a 4-5 year deal and you have a solid option in Garrison.

Bring Dillon in as a regular and he fills Souray's space.

If Morrow is to play on line 4, then why is that "hole" in anyway significant? I agree you can put him on a 2nd PP unit, but if you have PAP and Chiasson (and Ott, Nystrom, etc.) who can play better offensively, then his presence or absence on the squad is a moot point. You can find a good 4th liner for a lot cheaper.

StarsFan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 02:18 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarsFan74 View Post
If you get Garrison, then he fills Robidas' space. You can add a little to Robidas' salary and give Garrison a 4-5 year deal and you have a solid option.

Bring Dillon in as a regular and he fills Souray's space.

If Morrow is to play on line 4, then why is that "hole" in anyway significant? I agree you can put him on a 2nd PP unit, but if you have PAP and Chiasson (and Ott, Nystrom, etc.) who can play better offensively, then his presence or absence on the squad is a moot point. You can find a good 4th liner for a lot cheaper.
Ott's hole. I was referring to getting rid of both Ott and Morrow, which I would prefer not to do right now. I'd rather wait until the deadline where we can get better value unless we somehow get a great offer at the draft.

Old
04-08-2012, 02:20 PM
StarsFan74

Quote:
Ott's hole. I was referring to getting rid of both Ott and Morrow, which I would prefer not to do right now. I'd rather wait until the deadline where we can get better value unless we somehow get a great offer at the draft.
I'd keep Ott. Not his biggest fan, but since our line 1 and 2 centers- who sucked at faceoffs this year- are going to be essentially the same going forth for next season, then let us retain the guy who was good at it, That'd come in handy during pivotal moments in the defensive zone.

Old
04-08-2012, 02:23 PM
Hull Fan
trou du cul rapide

Your defensive solution isn't in free agency it's got to be in trade. Other than Suter there's no one that Dallas needs to back the truck up for. Instead they need to find a team looking to make a deal for Ribeiro, Robidas, Morrow or Ott. If you have to take back a salary to do so then so be it. I'd rather take on a younger player like Blum who's getting passed on the depth chart but I'd also be willing to consider Ballard. Heck LA still has a glut of young defenders, one of whom might be available.

There are some complimentary players available in FA this year but not many and certainly not guys who are part of your core to build around. Find a few stop gaps, maybe trade for a guy near the end of his deal, figure out which kids can play from the start of the season then flip who you can next deadline with the hope of picks/prospects coming back, one final bad season where you can get a top five franchise type selection, and Nemeth and company get the year they need to mature and take the next step to the NHL.

I know Gagliardi wants to win but one truly bad season where kids get ice to to improve themselves and show if they can handle the NHL would do wonders for this franchise. Had they done that during any of the money-less years they'd be in a much better position now.

Hull Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 02:38 PM
StarsFan74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull Fan View Post
Your defensive solution isn't in free agency it's got to be in trade. Other than Suter there's no one that Dallas needs to back the truck up for. Instead they need to find a team looking to make a deal for Ribeiro, Robidas, Morrow or Ott. If you have to take back a salary to do so then so be it. I'd rather take on a younger player like Blum who's getting passed on the depth chart but I'd also be willing to consider Ballard. Heck LA still has a glut of young defenders, one of whom might be available.
Unless the money is REASONABLE, I'm not for throwing major money and choke our cap for Suter (or Parise, for that matter), regardless of who or what he is. Giving Garrison a $4.0-4.5M deal is not exactly 'backing the truck up.' That is going to be his market-value.

Ballard- NO WAY.
Blum- Not bad, but you talk about him being young as if Garrison were Father Time. He is also the Wideman and Carle kind of player who lacks the size to shutdown opposing forwards who are bigger.

If Robidas is to go, then I need some one to not only replace him but bring in a leadership element. I believe Suter is the best person to do that, but is going to be very expensive. Garrison can do that for us albeit not in a way Suter could.

Also, since you want Ott, Robidas, Morrow, and Ribeiro (or did you mean ONE of them?) traded, you're losing the veteran presence. I don't see any benefit from getting young enough to not have experience and leadership in our squad. I'd like a good mix of <25 and >25. I don't want us to be NYI or Edm.

Quote:
There are some complimentary players available in FA this year but not many and certainly not guys who are part of your core to build around. Find a few stop gaps, maybe trade for a guy near the end of his deal, figure out which kids can play from the start of the season then flip who you can next deadline with the hope of picks/prospects coming back, one final bad season where you can get a top five franchise type selection, and Nemeth and company get the year they need to mature and take the next step to the NHL.
This off-season cannot be focused on band-aid solutions, IMO. Of course, that doesn't mean you can't find one (or two) short-term options, but the focus has to be on mid-to-long-term acquisitions.

Quote:
I know Gagliardi wants to win but one truly bad season where kids get ice to to improve themselves and show if they can handle the NHL would do wonders for this franchise. Had they done that during any of the money-less years they'd be in a much better position now.
I agree with the part about playing prospects during the money-less years, but Gaglardi calls the shots and if he doesn't want another playoff-less season, then he cannot allow the "play the kids" to happen next year. Simple.

Last edited by StarsFan74: 04-08-2012 at 02:47 PM.
Old
04-08-2012, 03:01 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Misty View Post
So what is the BigG44 plan for the Stars(I don't intend for this to sound hostile, and I apologize if it does)? How many pieces do the Stars need to make the playoffs, and where do you find those players?

The team is going to do something, does anybody want that something to be signing another bottom 6 forward and 7th defenseman? If they don't want to overpay, that is who will be left, and it is now time to add to the top of the depth chart rather than the bottom.

I think the team needs a defenseman and a top 6 forward to make the playoffs next year, and that a tier 2 free agent like Parenteau, Wideman, or Garrison fits that bill and must be brought in. If we overpay a little bit, we have Morrow and Robidas coming off the books soon, as well as Ribiero who is still important.

Loui-Ribs-Ryder
UFA-Benn-Cheap underperforming UFA/Morrow/Ott
Nystrom-Fiddler-Morrow/Ott
Burish-Wandell-Vincour
Garbutt-AHLer

Robidas-Goligoski
Daley-UFA
Larsen-Fistric
Dillon

Kari
Biz
The only BigG44 plan is to not make assumptions that go against the comments of the new owner. What's the point?

Old
04-08-2012, 03:05 PM
BigG44

The ultimate goal is to build a good team throwing money at less than ideal players doesn't make that happy.

Look at the NY Rangers, they are a great team because o f their draft picks and smart trades. They survive one major FA failure after another because of deep deep pockets.

Old
04-08-2012, 03:08 PM
StarsFan74

Quote:
The ultimate goal is to build a good team throwing money at less than ideal players doesn't make that happy.

Look at the NY Rangers, they are a great team because o f their draft picks and smart trades. They survive one major FA failure after another because of deep deep pockets.
Gaborik and Richards are UFA acquisitions that has worked for them (Richards, not so much).

As it happens, you can mess up with trades, drafts, and UFA acquisitions. The only difference is that pain is inflicted differently. We may not have deep pockets, but I'm glad TG recognized the lack of secondary scoring and poor PP numbers (Worst ever. He HAD to notice them ). Now, let's see what he does.

Old
04-08-2012, 03:38 PM
Elysian
@AdamBath

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarsFan74 View Post
Gaborik and Richards are UFA acquisitions that has worked for them (Richards, not so much).

As it happens, you can mess up with trades, drafts, and UFA acquisitions. The only difference is that pain is inflicted differently. We may not have deep pockets, but I'm glad TG recognized the lack of secondary scoring and poor PP numbers (Worst ever. He HAD to notice them ). Now, let's see what he does.
Richards has worked out pretty well after 82 games but damn was he expensive. They overpaid severely for him IMO.

Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 04:08 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

The Rangers aren't a very good example. No one is as insane as Sather, or can make it work so well. He's lucky to have made some of those trades and survived some of those FA signings.

But he's also an example of what I want TG to do. Just give a GM enough time with ideal conditions and he'll build you a winner. GMJN is smart enough to be able to do that, and give him enough time, and I'm confident that he will.

Old
04-08-2012, 04:09 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

Richards actually is a pretty good deal cap wise, just the length is the issue.

MetalGodAOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 04:27 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
We can get ONE D man and ONE top 6 forward in free agency.

We can fill the third line by moving some veterans. There will be buyers for a guy like Robidas out there. We can pick some stop gap depth for peanuts from teams with underpeforming expensive assets. To me, the D looks like this:

Garrison - Larsen
Daley-Dillon
Goligoski-Fistric
Pardy

Souray and Robidas out, Garrison in at Souray+Robidas' salaries. I'll argue about the rest of the lineup in a thread not entitled "Brenden Dillon".

Frozen Failure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 04:41 PM
StarsFan74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Failure View Post
We can get ONE D man and ONE top 6 forward in free agency.

We can fill the third line by moving some veterans. There will be buyers for a guy like Robidas out there. We can pick some stop gap depth for peanuts from teams with underpeforming expensive assets. To me, the D looks like this:

Garrison - Larsen
Daley-Dillon
Goligoski-Fistric
Pardy

Souray and Robidas out, Garrison in at Souray+Robidas' salaries. I'll argue about the rest of the lineup in a thread not entitled "Brenden Dillon".
- If you're going to pay a d-man $4.6M average per year for the next 4 seasons, you're better off not placing him on the 3rd pairing. IMO, the set up is

Garrison-Goose
Fistric-Larsen
Daley-Dillon
Pardy

- I'd also find a way to include another d-man in that list in case Pardy doesn't work out; doesn't matter if he comes from the system or a band-aid solution.

- Suggestions welcome to as to whom we should get in return for Robidas. Prospects, roster d-man, roster forward? What do you think Robi is worth?

Old
04-08-2012, 07:40 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:

Quote:
If Pardy wins a Top 6 D role, Benn is my guess for 7th D. If anyone else wins a Top 6 D role, Pardy is the 7th.
By that same token Pardy "winning" a top 6 role doesn't make the team better.

I think Jordie Benn is better than Pardy and should be the 7th defenseman. If he's in our top 6 we're probably not looking too good but he's a perfect 7th D option. I don't think there's anything that puts Pardy ahead of Benn on the depth chart aside from salary, which is a poor way of constructing a team.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 10:26 PM
Rune Forumwalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
I don't think there's anything that puts Pardy ahead of Benn on the depth chart aside from salary, which is a poor way of constructing a team.
Age? The thought that Benn can develop further and be more than a #7, while Pardy is thought of to be developed to his peak already?

Rune Forumwalker is offline   Reply With Quote