HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Top 20 Prospects, #3

View Poll Results: 3rd?
Gustav Nyquist - Left Wing 27 34.62%
Jan Mursak - Right Wing 16 20.51%
Tomas Jurco - Left Wing 3 3.85%
Calle Jarnkrok - Center 24 30.77%
Riley Sheahan - Center 0 0%
Ryan Sproul - Defense 0 0%
Xavier Ouellet - Defense 0 0%
Teemu Pulkkinen - Right Wing 8 10.26%
Petr Mrazek - Goaltender 0 0%
Adam Almqvist - Defense 0 0%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-24-2011, 05:59 PM
ricky0034

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwingsfan View Post
Agreed. Mursak is 8th or so on this list for me. He'll likely be an NHL player, but we don't know if he'll stick for a long period of time just because he is ready for the NHL now. His upside is also questionable. It would surprise me if he ends up being more than a bottom-six forward.
not thinking he will be anything more than a bottom-six is a fair concern(although I think he has a decent shot at it,but it could be hard if enough of these other prospects pan out) but there's no reason to think he won't be around for a long period of time,he's already good enough to be a useful 4th liner,he's homegrown which automatically raises him further in the Wings eyes,there's no attitude problems or any red flags like that etc

I see no reason to think he won't at a minimum be a bottom-6 forward on the Wings for a long time to come

ricky0034 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 06:33 PM
Redwingsfan
Global Moderator
What rust??

Awards:
Send a message via MSN to Redwingsfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabricoh View Post
Couldn't the same thing be said about Kindl? Of course but no one considers him a prospect. Once you are out of options you are no longer a prospect; you're either a solid NHL'er or you're a fringe NHL/solid AHL guy. Ken Holland has confirmed Jan is a lock to make the Red Wings. I'll stop now because I think I've made my point and don't want to beat a dead horse.
I was talking more about Mursak's potential and his place on the list. To be honest, I dont really care all that much if he's considered a prospect or not

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0bert8841 View Post
Your going to be very surprised. Mursak has a very high upside. A faster Filppula is his minimum in my opinion. Oh well it will become aparent next year.
We'll see. I hope you're the one who's right. I'll gladly eat crow if you are

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky0034 View Post
not thinking he will be anything more than a bottom-six is a fair concern(although I think he has a decent shot at it,but it could be hard if enough of these other prospects pan out) but there's no reason to think he won't be around for a long period of time,he's already good enough to be a useful 4th liner,he's homegrown which automatically raises him further in the Wings eyes,there's no attitude problems or any red flags like that etc

I see no reason to think he won't at a minimum be a bottom-6 forward on the Wings for a long time to come
Me neither, but you never know with young players with that little NHL experience and questionable upside. He might keep performing at the level he has so far, and he might not and end up elsewhere.. We'll see. Nothing would please me more than to see him develop into an important player for our team.

Redwingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 06:35 PM
Harnessed in Slums

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0bert8841 View Post
Kindl was considered a prospect last year though. He was the in same position Jan is in now.
If Kindl truly was a prospect last season would he have been the 7th defenseman in Detroit? The only reason he was in Detroit because he is no longer a prospect as far as how the NHL views his development. Seems pretty clear cut to me. If he was a prospect who could have been sent down he would have played 25+ mins a night in Grand Rapids.

Harnessed in Slums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 07:23 PM
petesrw

Last year Kindl was a rookie, so he was still considered a prospect before his rookie season started.

Same goes for Mursak.

petesrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 07:38 PM
FabricDetails

Seems like Jarnkrok and Nyquist would be awesome together as linemates.

FabricDetails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 07:40 PM
newfy

Gotta be Goose. He has a very igh upside and high end skill that even Nim Nill raved about, hes also further along than his countryman Jarnkrok at this point

newfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 07:52 PM
Anchor Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by FabricDetails View Post
Seems like Jarnkrok and Nyquist would be awesome together as linemates.
Two playmakers like those two would need a goal scorer with them........someone like Pulkkinen

Anchor Town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 08:34 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabricoh View Post
I'm a big Jan Mursak fan and have been a fan ever since he was drafted. But now that the season is over his time as a prospect has ended. Ken Holland said he will be on the Red Wings roster. I think he'll be a fixture on the 3rd and 4th lines at a bare minimum for a very long time.

His rating as a prospect is irrelevant just like it's irrelevant for Abdelkader, Helm, Ericsson and Kindl. They have all successfully become NHL players. This is a good thing.
Everyone has their own guidelines.
Mine is that once a guy spends the majority of a season on an NHL roster, he ceases to be a prospect.
Mursak and Emmerton qualify under my guidelines.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 08:44 PM
Harnessed in Slums

Quote:
Originally Posted by petesrw View Post
Last year Kindl was a rookie, so he was still considered a prospect before his rookie season started.

Same goes for Mursak.
Well it certainly wasn't true for Jimmy Howard. In fact some said he shouldn't have been in consideration for the Calder given his age. The most obvious cut off is when you are out of options to be sent down without clearing waivers. At that point it's time to fish or cut bait. But Mursak - whom I really like - doesn't look like he's getting a ton of support and Emmerton isn't likely to appear on the list so I will give it a rest.

Here's my thinking on Nyquist. He was a Hobey Baker finalist so he was a very good college player, similar to Smith. I think he'll do very well in the AHL. He's accustomed to the smaller rink and physical play so I put him one spot in front of the Iron Hook.

Harnessed in Slums is offline   Reply With Quote