HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

EDM/NYI proposal

Closed Thread

Old
07-26-2011, 07:00 PM
Bullet Tooth Tony

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
Most NYI fans want Snow to add 1-2 quality vets to the rebuild.They aren't sitting discussing or worrying about past Milbury trades.

Snow is not the wild gambler Milbury was.He's actually a conservative gm imo.

Oiler fans are ignoring Hemsky's dismal injury history of the the last two yrs and his quickly approaching unrestrictive free agency.

Snow tried trading his 2010 1st rounder and his 2011 1st rounder,for quality,young vets.Young being a key word.He doesn't want to give up anything significant for a short term pickup and I agree with his stated comment,that trades have to make sense for both the short term and the long term.
I agree Snow is conservative. Any idea who, names wise, Snow targeted trading for with his first rounders the last two years?

Old
07-26-2011, 08:39 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus Quintana View Post
I agree Snow is conservative. Any idea who, names wise, Snow targeted trading for with his first rounders the last two years?
On the 1st day of the 2010 draft,Strang from Newsday, tweeted that Snow was shopping his 5th overall pick.Strang said Snow wanted to speed up the rebuild a bit,by trading the pick for a 20-22 yr old with similar upside to the kids Snow was eying at 5th overall.The 20-22 yr old would have been further along in his development then the 18 yr old Snow would be getting if he kept the pick.Snow couldn't find a deal he liked and took Nino 5th overall.No names were mentioned.

This yr,both Strang and Chris Botta wrote that Snow was shopping his 1st rounder.He didn't put an age range condition out.They wrote that he wanted a quality,young vet.Botta speculated about the Flyers Carter,but pointed out how leery the isles about the 11 yrs on his deal and questioning Carter's attitude if dealt to the Isles(I had never heard that Carter was a player who pouted).

Snow is a gm who does not like negoiating thru the press.He keps things very close to the vest.In 2009,when Burke publicly tried to land the 1st overall,updatiing the adoring Toronto media,Snow took a swipe at Burke,saying he didn't do business that way.

I'm sure Snow is talking to plenty of other teams,trying to land the quality,top 4 defenseman,he'd hoped he'd had in Ehrhoff.

Old
07-26-2011, 10:44 PM
Princeton

This is just a bad thread.

Let's start:

-Hemsky is injury prone but is also a point per game player. That is better than every Islander not named Tavares.

-NO ONE wants Bailey. He has been a colossal failure. First he was touted as your future 1st line center. Then it was he'll make a great 2nd line center. Then it was, we'll move him to the wing and let JT and Strome be the 1-2 punch. Admitting he isn't what you thought he was might be wise. He's not horrible but has he lived up to NYI fans' expectations? I think not.

-Hamonic is good. Is he great? Doubtful, but maybe. He played well last year but is he more valuable than Elliott in COL or OEL in PHX? Also debatable.

-That being said, would you move him for Hemsky?

-DeHaan would surely be on the table and if it was him and a pick (2nd?) for Hems, then the NYI's win that deal hands down.

-also, he wouldn't be a rental. When deals like this go down, usually the agent has already checked if the player will re-sign with their potential new team and at what cost.

-EDM fans have to realize that other teams do not want their CRAP. Khabby and Gilbert are not wanted commodities.

-EDM would not trade MPS or Eberle for Hamonic. That's just wishful thinking.

THN didn't even have Hamonic ranked in the top 75 before he made the team. MPS and Eberle were staples on these lists which were created from real scouts opinions on players.

I know this will ruffle feathers, but the homerism is just brutal in this thread.

Also remember it's only Eklund talking. Not worth listening.

Old
07-26-2011, 11:05 PM
Chayos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princeton View Post

Let's start:

-Hemsky is injury prone but is also a point per game player. That is better than every Islander not named Tavares.

-NO ONE wants Bailey. He has been a colossal failure. First he was touted as your future 1st line center. Then it was he'll make a great 2nd line center. Then it was, we'll move him to the wing and let JT and Strome be the 1-2 punch. Admitting he isn't what you thought he was might be wise. He's not horrible but has he lived up to NYI fans' expectations? I think not.

-Hamonic is good. Is he great? Doubtful, but maybe. He played well last year but is he more valuable than Elliott in COL or OEL in PHX? Also debatable.

-DeHaan would surely be on the table and if it was him and a pick (2nd?) for Hems, then the NYI's win that deal hands down.

-also, he wouldn't be a rental. When deals like this go down, usually the agent has already checked if the player will re-sign with their potential new team and at what cost.

-EDM fans have to realize that other teams do not want their CRAP. Khabby and Gilbert are not wanted commodities.

THN didn't even have Hamonic ranked in the top 75 before he made the team. MPS and Eberle were staples on these lists which were created from real scouts opinions on players.

I know this will ruffle feathers, but the homerism is just brutal in this thread.

This is it in a nutshell.

I think Hamonic might be closer to those other d-man than you think, which is why NY shouldn't move him.

Edmonton would only move Hemsky this year if the deal was a clear win, and Hamonic for Hemsky qualifies.

Old
07-27-2011, 12:04 AM
Hipster Doofus

Quote:

Let's start:

I think you made maybe 3-4 good points (not great, decent, maybe) if this was baseball you'd be a hall of famer!

Old
07-27-2011, 12:38 AM
boredmale

Quote:
Whenever I go back and look at top prospect lists from 5-10 years ago it's almost laughable at some who are near the top, who is rated to low and who doesn't even make the list.

Look at the hfboards top 50 for instance, Hamonic never made it once to the list and now when he is 3 games away from there eligibility rules disqualifying him he is 15th on there last one. Top prospects lists many times seem like a popularity contest more then an actual reflection of who is the best prospects. I said for the past couple years that Hamonic is a better prospect then De Haan but because De Haan was a first rounder he generally got more love on those kind of lists.

Last edited by boredmale: 07-27-2011 at 12:44 AM.
Old
07-27-2011, 12:48 AM
Princeton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chayos View Post
This is it in a nutshell.

I think Hamonic might be closer to those other d-man than you think, which is why NY shouldn't move him.

Edmonton would only move Hemsky this year if the deal was a clear win, and Hamonic for Hemsky qualifies.
I hate being the one to point this out but are they really that close? You tell me. Please be honest.

Hamonic 4 yrs in WHL:

GP Goals Assists PTS +/-

55.........2 .........16...........18.........-2
61.........5..........17...........22........+5
57.........13........27...........40........-31
41.........11........33...........44........+12
214........31..........93.........124......-16

Stefan Elliott

GP Goals Assists PTS +/-

67........9..........31...........40.......-18
71........16........39...........55.......+20
72........26........39...........65.......+41
71........31........50...........81........+62
281.......82........159.........241......+105

So just to sum it up.

Elliott played 67 more games.
Elliott had 51 more goals.
Elliott had 66 more assists.
Elliott had a better +/- by 121.

Yes he played more games but the stats should speak for themselves.
Hamonic is good but I would hesitate to put him up there with the other top D prospects.
I for one believe they aren't as close as you think they are.

I'll apologize if my posts come off as me being an a$$hole. I'm not trying to be. I'm just shocked that Hamonic is being treated as untouchable by the NYI fans on this site.

Old
07-27-2011, 12:50 AM
boredmale

Quote:
Hamonic is good but I would hesitate to put him up there with the other top D prospects.
You do realize that in the case of Hamonic, the offensive stats are an added bonus to the fact he is a hard hitting defenseman who can play defense

Old
07-27-2011, 01:00 AM
Princeton

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
You do realize that in the case of Hamonic, the offensive stats are an added bonus to the fact he is a hard hitting defenseman who can play defense
+/- difference of 121 and you're now telling me he plays better defense?????????

C'mon man. That doesn't mean anything to you???

The size difference is an inch and maybe he gets more PIMS which I really don't see how that helps your team.
I would rather have the guy that keeps the puck out of my team's net (and NO I am not a COL fan) and helps put the puck in theirs.

I feel like giving up after your last comment.
You win. Stats are just a bonus.

Old
07-27-2011, 01:10 AM
Bill Omie*

Your not getting Hamonic alone for Hemsky dude

Old
boredmale

Quote:
You do realize +/- most of the time is a reflection of the team you are playing on more then anything. I can't say I seen Elliot play but I would have to see if he plays against other teams top players or gets sheltered with lesser checking assignments before I can get an idea how good he is defensively. Most reports I read about him are about his offense and not once have I seen anything pointing to his defensive ability.

Going by your logic(that stats mean everything) the Islanders drafted a player who had similar stats to Elliot this year(Brenden Kitchon 81 points in 7 less games +55 and 1 year younger) in the fifth round should be one of the top prospects in the league

Last edited by boredmale: 07-27-2011 at 01:43 AM.
Old
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
#21KO

vCash: 50
Quote:
+/- difference of 121 and you're now telling me he plays better defense?????????

The size difference is an inch and maybe he gets more PIMS which I really don't see how that helps your team.
I would rather have the guy that keeps the puck out of my team's net (and NO I am not a COL fan) and helps put the puck in theirs.

I feel like giving up after your last comment.
You win. Stats are just a bonus.
You must be a big Jeff Schultz fan

Old
07-27-2011, 01:13 AM
Bill Omie*

Quote:
I hate being the one to point this out but are they really that close? You tell me. Please be honest.

Hamonic 4 yrs in WHL:

GP Goals Assists PTS +/-

Stefan Elliott

GP Goals Assists PTS +/-

So just to sum it up.

I'll apologize if my posts come off as me being an a$$hole. I'm not trying to be. I'm just shocked that Hamonic is being treated as untouchable by the NYI fans on this site.
He's not untouchable but why would we trade him unless he was in a package involving a far better player? Why would we give away our best young defenseman?

Old
07-27-2011, 01:34 AM
Konk

Quote:
Let's be realistic, he's 21 years old and isn't far off of other top picks in terms of NHL production from that draft class. Overall, he's still developing and to call a 21 year old a colossal failure is in itself a colossal failure. And let's not kid yourself, you have little-to-no clue how NHL GMs value players.
Quote:
That's great, but if trivial prospect rankings meant anything Pavel Brendl would be approaching 500 goals in the next few years and Pavel Datsyuk would be a nobody, even to Hakan Anderssen. Fact of the matter is, opinion-based rankings and stats from amateur leagues are not the final say on a player's ability and so far, Hamonic is the type of player whose potential has become more apparent as he's moved up the ladder. Stefan Elliot hasn't even had a sniff at the Pros yet and to make that comparison based on junior stats at this point is meaningless.

Old
07-27-2011, 01:50 AM
Princeton

When did Mike Milbury go by so many different handles?

Konk.---Actually Junior stats can tell you quite a bit. I'm pretty sure you would be using them to support your argument if it was the other way. I'm guessing you wouldn't mention Tavares totals or records?

How GM's value players? HAHA WOW. Nice one.

OK.

So scouts opinions doesn't matter.

Stats in Junior doesn't matter.
Bailey's performance so far doesn't matter.
What does. Hamonic's 1/2 year in the show? Ranger fans also thought DelZotto was the next great D after his great start to his career.

I never said you should trade him but to say that Hemsky isn't even close to enough just shows your ignorance.

You are the same guy that would have said that Bailey was gonna be the next Sakic.

BE IMPARTIAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My team sucks and I can accept it. Yours doesn't but any criticism or comparison and you throw a hissy fit.

PS: Nice AVATAR. It just screams impartiality.

Old
07-27-2011, 01:54 AM
hskates21*

Hamonic's rookie season > drew doughty's rookie season just saying and some people are comparing ****img junior stats to a player that developed late it's just so stupid

Old
07-27-2011, 02:41 AM
SDig14

There's definitely no deal here. Isle fans seem content keeping Hamonic and the Oilers value Hemsky a lot and would ask for Hamonic+, so it makes no sense for either team.

I think if the Oilers thought Hemsky would for sure leave as a UFA then his contract and injury issues would affect his value a lot, but when the alternative to trading him is to keep him longterm to help our young talent then his value to the Oilers remains high. He seems to love the city, met a gf from here, and likes the direction of the team, so let's hope he stays and the rumours go away.

Old
07-27-2011, 02:50 AM
Konk

Quote:
Konk.---Actually Junior stats can tell you quite a bit. I'm pretty sure you would be using them to support your argument if it was the other way. I'm guessing you wouldn't mention Tavares totals or records?
I actually didn't use stats to qualify my statement, just called you out on using only junior stats to qualify yours and how fragile of an argument it was.

Quote:
Stats in Junior doesn't matter.
Bailey's performance so far doesn't matter.
What does. Hamonic's 1/2 year in the show? Ranger fans also thought DelZotto was the next great D after his great start to his career.
I never said Bailey's performance so far did not matter, only that writing off the career of a 21 year old is completely ignorant.
Quote:
I never said you should trade him but to say that Hemsky isn't even close to enough just shows your ignorance.
Show me where I said that. Matter of fact, show me where I even posted Hemsky's name. Better yet, show me anywhere in my entire post history where I've even responded to anything regarding Hemsky prior to my reply to you (which had nothing to do with Hemsky or even the trade "rumor").
Quote:
You are the same guy that would have said that Bailey was gonna be the next Sakic.
Really? So you've gathered so much about me from one post that you're going to squat down and squeeze this gem out? I've got a new challenge for you, find a post in my history touting Josh Bailey or comparing him to Sakic or anyone else for that matter.

Here's a hint: it's not going to happen. You can't argue my points so you go into hyper defensive mode and throw out ridiculous claims and then attempt to label me a homer to make yourself look better.

Old
07-27-2011, 02:57 AM
ISLESnPANTHERS

Quote:

Hamonic 4 yrs in WHL:

GP Goals Assists PTS +/-

Stefan Elliott

GP Goals Assists PTS +/-

So just to sum it up.

Well then we should be happy with Kichton, shouldn't we

Old
07-27-2011, 03:03 AM
ISLESnPANTHERS

Hamonic has first pairing potential. The guys a beast, he put up great numbers his first year and played a solid defensive game, give him two more years and he's a monster.

I think Hemsky will get a great return but for a good prospect who hasn't proven anything, or a first. People seem to forget that theres a big difference between the Isles first and a cup contenders first. If Hemsky has any value to any team, it's to a cup contender.

If Oilers fans are wondering how much we value Hamonic, than think about how much you value Eberle. Not the same position, but both players stock rose drastically after being drafted and both had exceptional rookie years. We expect Hamonic to be a top pairing D-man in the future just like you guys expect Eberle to be a top line forward and both have the potential to be beastly players.

Old
07-27-2011, 07:22 AM
seafoam

vCash: 1000
What about Gagner for Bailey straight up? Change of scenery for two youngsters?

Btw, what can Gagner play?

Old
07-27-2011, 09:06 AM
Dan-o16

Quote:
He's not untouchable. But he's (i) young, (ii) had a very successful NHL rookie campaign, (iii) tough, (iv) cheap, and (v) healthy, and (vi) developing on an upward trajectory. Most of all, we've watched him play. He's just about our only D-man that's not physically overmatched in the corners. While that might sound pathetic (actually, it is), it may explain how we wouldn't want to trade him unless someone better who can play the same role is coming back. Capisce?

BTW, I think Rangers fans will admit that Hamonic has shown far more aptitude in his own zone and physical ability than Del Zotto has. And Isles fans will admit that Hamonic has no where near the kind of offensive skills that Del Zotto has. (I think Del Zotto has the chance of being the among the very best offensive D-men in the game.)

As for the comparisons between OEL, Elliot, etc. I think that Hamonic matches up pretty comparably in terms of value with those guys. He's just a different kind of player. I don't care if he's never been on top-75 lists. Hamonic was not a flashy name in his draft year. Almost two years later, Hamonic was still compared with Marco Scandella and Colton Teubert. Things change.

But what's the point? None of those guys would get traded for Hemsky either.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Old
07-27-2011, 10:41 AM
Fairenough

Watch Hamonic play at the NHL level...then you'll understand why he's seen as somewhat of an untouchable. As simple as that.

Old
07-27-2011, 10:55 AM
IslesBeBack*
NHL Free Agent

So according to this thread:

1) Bailey is a colossal bust by the Edmonton Oilers fans on HFBoards. At the ripe old age of 21 years old, who still has put up numbers similiar to those in his draft class

FAIL

2) Hamonic is not as good as someone who is still in juniors, even though Hamonic has become a top NHL young player in just his first year, has opened the eyes of many of those who talked about him, and has many of the tools to become a top pairing defenseman.

FAIL

3) One year of a delapitated Hemsky, who will be overpaid tremendously in UFA, is worth one of these guys.

FAIL.

Enjoy your prospects and your players, we'll keep ours. How does that sound?

Old
07-27-2011, 10:59 AM
oilwings

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaStromey View Post
What about Gagner for Bailey straight up? Change of scenery for two youngsters?

Btw, what can Gagner play?
i already propose this somewhere on these boards.

Closed Thread