HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gainey is a Hab God

Closed Thread

Old
08-04-2004, 11:36 AM
FlavorFlav

vCash: 500
Gainey is a Hab God

Zed, 3 year contract
Kost, 3 year contract
Bonk, 3 year contract

I know it hasn't been long for Bob, but the signings he's made so far, the trades (although I still don't agree with the Kovy-Balej & 2nd!) will be a sign of things to come.

His patience, intelligence, strategy and execution are exceptional. He is building a core group of players, solidifying a team that will be nothing short of excellent in the years to come. I love the fact that these guys are signing lengthy contracts that will allow them to evolve together and aid in the development of the young guys.

kudos to Bob! Now sign me a big mean defenseman and a goon who can play more than 4 minutes a game!

Old
08-04-2004, 11:41 AM
neopreneur

I wouldn't call him a god, but he IS doing a mighty fine job

Old
08-04-2004, 11:46 AM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
Gainey became a God when he played with two dislocated shoulders. Now he's an ubergod. He should really get his number retired, but it'll probably never happen while he's still with the organization. He's too humble to want to go through it while GM.

Old
08-04-2004, 12:02 PM
FlavorFlav

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Albino
Gainey became a God when he played with two dislocated shoulders. Now he's an ubergod. He should really get his number retired, but it'll probably never happen while he's still with the organization. He's too humble to want to go through it while GM.
I stand corrected, he IS an ubergod...

Old
08-04-2004, 12:06 PM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

If he gets Perez to play in the NHL this year....well then he is God

Old
08-04-2004, 12:39 PM
HabsoluteFate

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAN-HAB
If he gets Perez to play in the NHL this year....well then he is God
The only person that can make Perez play in the NHL this year (if there is a season) is Perez himself

Old
08-04-2004, 12:44 PM
Zednik

Maybe it's just me, but I'm not too high on long-term contracts...

Old
08-04-2004, 12:47 PM
Gros Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsoluteFate
The only person that can make Perez play in the NHL this year (if there is a season) is Perez himself
I think Van-Hab was referring to Perezhogin's season-long AHL suspension.

Old
08-04-2004, 12:47 PM
Darz

This is just my opinion, but I think too many poster are putting Gainey on too high of a pedestal. I mean the signing of Zednik, Bonk, and Kostitsyn wasn't real anything any other GM wouldn't of done. I doubt if Andre Savard was still in charge we would be hailing him a genuis for signing a draft pick. It's really just routine.

I like alot of things Gainey has done since his arrival, and haven't seen him do too many things wrong, but to hail him this much for routine signings......

I mean Gainey gets props for Perezhogin and Kostitsyn but shouldn't the props go to Savard for choosing Kostitsyn and turning Linden and Zubrus into Zednik, Bulis and Perezhogin.

Old
08-04-2004, 12:49 PM
Gros Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz
This is just my opinion, but I think too many poster are putting Gainey on too high of a pedestal. I mean the signing of Zednik, Bonk, and Kostitsyn wasn't real anything any other GM wouldn't of done. I doubt if Andre Savard was still in charge we would be hailing him a genuis for signing a draft pick. It's really just routine.

I like alot of things Gainey has done since his arrival, and haven't seen him do too many things wrong, but to hail him this much for routine signings......

I mean Gainey gets props for Perezhogin and Kostitsyn but shouldn't the props go to Savard for choosing Kostitsyn and turning Linden and Zubrus into Zednik, Bulis and Perezhogin.
Burn the infidel, burn him at the stake !!!

Old
08-04-2004, 12:52 PM
CH Wizard

Send a message via MSN to CH Wizard
Quote:

Oh wow ,you're right Darz.B.G did a great job.We have to give a credit to Savard too.He's drafting some great players.He made some excellents trade.If B.G gonna sign Kovy we gonna all know that he's doing a great job and biulding a strong team.We have to give a big honour to Savard for drafting excellent prospects.

Old
08-04-2004, 12:53 PM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
Quote:

I think it's also the fact that it's a slow summer and usually we take a while to sign our RFAs. Also, the Bonk signing we managed to get a player to sign for less than his mandatory raise, which is a positive (the overpaying of Brisebois comes to mind).

I stand by my statement that Gainey should have his numbered retired

Old
08-04-2004, 12:56 PM
Mooch

Send a message via MSN to Mooch
I agree with Darz. Im also estatic by the work by Gainey, but a lot of other people deserve a lot of credit too, like the scouts, coaches, and even the players to some extent. Everyone has been wiling to work together, and if you work as a team, good things always prespire.....

Cudos to the whole Habs oraganization i say!!

Old
08-04-2004, 01:00 PM
Belarus Rocket

Send a message via MSN to Belarus Rocket
Gainey Is a good GM but not a god...he sign Bonk to a lower contract than Is qualyfing offer but It's probably only because Bonk want a long term contract and was ready to take a small pay cut,as for the Kostytsin contract Im VERRY happy he signed him,but we must remember that It was Savard,Timmins and the Russian scout,Nikolai Vakourov who done all the job of evaluating this guy.It's nothing against Gainey,I LOVE this guy and he Is probably the best GM we could have,but he Isn't God,Isn't he....

Old
08-04-2004, 01:06 PM
Darz

Quote:
I think it's also the fact that it's a slow summer and usually we take a while to sign our RFAs. Also, the Bonk signing we managed to get a player to sign for less than his mandatory raise, which is a positive (the overpaying of Brisebois comes to mind).
The state of the league had alot more to do with Bonk's pay cut and Brisebois's overpayment than the men offering the contracts. When A.S. signed Brisebois contracts were on the way up at a crazy pace. I mean Bobby Holik was getting a $9 M a year deal, Yashin was signnig a 10 year contract, etc. while this summer guys like Recchi, Primeau and others have taken pretty good pay cuts.

Quote:
I stand by my statement that Gainey should have his numbered retired

Right after Robinson's. I agree though it should be in the rafters!!!

Old
08-04-2004, 01:12 PM
All-Star

Bahh! Gainey shmainey! Koivu is God!

Old
08-04-2004, 01:14 PM
Roots73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future=Hossa
Gainey Is a good GM but not a god...he sign Bonk to a lower contract than Is qualyfing offer but It's probably only because Bonk want a long term contract and was ready to take a small pay cut,as for the Kostytsin contract Im VERRY happy he signed him,but we must remember that It was Savard,Timmins and the Russian scout,Nikolai Vakourov who done all the job of evaluating this guy.It's nothing against Gainey,I LOVE this guy and he Is probably the best GM we could have,but he Isn't God,Isn't he....
Well if we can't call him a "God" then lets do it this way.... comparing the GM qualities of Rejean Houle to Bob Gainey is like comparing the intellect of Barney Gumble to Stephen Hawking. The man is pure genius when it comes to handling the GM position.

Also his presence in telling the media and fans to back off on Brisebois is stellar. The guy has guts and a backbone and is not afraid to confront the wack writers or fringe element fans. The guy is all about the team, either as a player or now as GM. I wouldn't want anybody else handling that job for the Habs. Bob Gainey is "The Man".

Old
08-04-2004, 01:16 PM
Belarus Rocket

Send a message via MSN to Belarus Rocket
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roots73
Well if we can't call him a "God" then lets do it this way.... comparing the GM qualities of Rejean Houle to Bob Gainey is like comparing the intellect of Barney Gumble to Stephen Hawking. The man is pure genius when it comes to handling the GM position.

Also his presence in telling the media and fans to back off on Brisebois is stellar. The guy has guts and a backbone and is not afraid to confront the wack writers or fringe element fans. The guy is all about the team, either as a player or now as GM. I wouldn't want anybody else handling that job for the Habs. Bob Gainey is "The Man".

Yes he Is the man,I wouldn't want anyone else to take Is place that's for sure

Old
08-04-2004, 01:18 PM
Darz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roots73

I agree with everything you say, and well put BTW, but hailing a guy for signing a draft pick, well.....

Old
08-04-2004, 01:24 PM
mcphee

Like usual, I agree with Darz. [I have to, he has some pictures of me with the goats that I would prefer not be made public.] Gainey is just doing his job, I think he's doing it wisely and with the right touch, but that's his job. We want to be an elite team again so badly that we're chomping at the bit [what a farmer I'm becoming]. On the other hand Gainey is and will always be one of the select individuals playing a big role in the legends told of the team. Red Fisher has this expression for his favorites, he calls them the 'unflinching ones'. Whenever I see the word, I think of Gainey. Of course if and when we win this year, I'll happily jump on the worship bandwagon,walk his dog and wash his car.

Old
08-04-2004, 01:45 PM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-Star
Bahh! Gainey shmainey! Koivu is God!
That's right. I thought we had firmly established that in fact: Koivu is God and I believe Iginla is Jesus.

Old
08-04-2004, 01:55 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsoluteFate

More like, the only person that can make Perezhogin play in the NHL is the NHL since they have to give him clearance to play first, then Gainey who has to decided if he wants Perez here or Russia (he scored a goal the other day, still waiting on todays results) then it's up to Julien, then Alex himself. He's under contract, so if the NHL allows him to play over here, thats the first step. Then it's up to what management thinks is best for him. Then its up to Alex if we wants to come back over or not.

As for Gainey, he's sure been busy lately. Still got Souray, Ryder to sign plus hopefully Locke, Urquhart, Cote, Flood, Labelle and Glenn.

Old
08-04-2004, 02:03 PM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal
More like, the only person that can make Perezhogin play in the NHL is the NHL since they have to give him clearance to play first, then Gainey who has to decided if he wants Perez here or Russia (he scored a goal the other day, still waiting on todays results) then it's up to Julien, then Alex himself. He's under contract, so if the NHL allows him to play over here, thats the first step. Then it's up to what management thinks is best for him. Then its up to Alex if we wants to come back over or not.

As for Gainey, he's sure been busy lately. Still got Souray, Ryder to sign plus hopefully Locke, Urquhart, Cote, Flood, Labelle and Glenn.
exactly what I meant

Old
08-04-2004, 02:07 PM
Mooch

Send a message via MSN to Mooch
Quote:
Originally Posted by loudi94
That's right. I thought we had firmly established that in fact: Koivu is God and I believe Iginla is Jesus.
Can i be hurcules??

Old
08-04-2004, 02:09 PM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooch
Can i be hurcules??
Hercules

Closed Thread