HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Ray Emery?

Old
07-25-2011, 02:24 AM
JayP812
The Team of Tomorrow

vCash: 455
Ray Emery?

It is beyond me how this guy hasn't been signed. In his ten games last season, he went 7-2-0, and had a .926 SV%. He has experience, but is still relatively young, and has gone deep in the playoffs. He is completely healthy now, so why has he been passed up by teams looking for a goalie?

JayP812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 02:30 AM
arctic79

vCash: 500
Baggage?

arctic79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 02:36 AM
Crazy8oooo
k ؃

I'd imagine that some teams might be afraid of his hip not holding up. It's a shame, because the guy's really come a long way in his maturity and his competitiveness and determination are crazy. I wish the Ducks could have resigned him.

Crazy8oooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 02:36 AM
alx83*

He's not completely healthy. He started suffering with an injury again last season after he had played multiple games in a row. If you watch him, his lateral movement is terrible. He's got to go to a team where they're going to clear the crease for him otherwise he won't be as successful as he was last year. That beings said, he's great positionally and he's definitely a quality goaltender in front of a solid defense. He'll be a great pickup as his pros outweigh his cons.

alx83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 02:44 AM
Crazy8oooo
k ؃

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMilli View Post
He's not completely healthy. He started suffering with an injury again last season after he had played multiple games in a row. If you watch him, his lateral movement is terrible. He's got to go to a team where they're going to clear the crease for him otherwise he won't be as successful as he was last year. That beings said, he's great positionally and he's definitely a quality goaltender in front of a solid defense. He'll be a great pickup as his pros outweigh his cons.
You are correct, his lateral movement sucked at the end of the season and during the playoffs, but unless the injury was related to his replaced hip, I would think that it should be healed by now. The Ducks were very quiet about it at the time so it's anybody's guess.

Old
07-25-2011, 03:22 AM
Sens16

I always liked Emery. Most teams right now are either set in goal or probably don't want to risk getting burned. I think he will be signed by the mid point of the season if a team runs into goalie injuries.

Sens16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 04:05 AM
alx83*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy8oooo View Post
You are correct, his lateral movement sucked at the end of the season and during the playoffs, but unless the injury was related to his replaced hip, I would think that it should be healed by now. The Ducks were very quiet about it at the time so it's anybody's guess.
I'm not sure if it will get better with time, I think that his hip is as rehabilitated as it is going to get. I also think that's one of the reasons we wanted to go with Ellis to start off the playoffs. It was blatantly obvious to me that Emery's lateral movement was a big problem, but he managed to play through it and still perform pretty well in replacing Ellis. Let's just say he proved me wrong in thinking that he should've gone back to sitting the bench in game two in the Nashville series. Even with such an obstacle, he still manages to stop pucks consistently. I really hope he finds a home. Even though I'd hate to see him with Detroit, for example, I'd love to see him go to a place like that and get another shot at the playoffs. He's a class act now and should be a role model with how he's matured.

alx83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 04:45 AM
Crazy8oooo
k ؃

That's the mystery though...was his injury related to his hip or was it something else? Perhaps a groin injury? I never heard anything other than it was a 'lower body' injury. If it's the hip that caused him the issues, then I would agree that it will probably give him troubles forever...but if something else, he could be completely healed.

Old
07-25-2011, 08:00 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
I think it is a mix of what some people have already mentioned. He has baggage and while last year showed he has matured considerably some might feel leery still. His injury was a major one that many do not come back from. Teams might not be willing to take a chance on him as a number one because of the worry his hip breaks down during the rigor of the NHL season. In the end, it might come down to money and lack of places for a starting goalie. Is he willing to take another one year deal as a backup, making backup money?

beowulf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 09:16 AM
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayP812 View Post
It is beyond me how this guy hasn't been signed. In his ten games last season, he went 7-2-0, and had a .926 SV%. He has experience, but is still relatively young, and has gone deep in the playoffs. He is completely healthy now, so why has he been passed up by teams looking for a goalie?
As others said, probably injury concern. I think he's proven he can play without losing his head (contrary to what Hfboards will say) so it has to be the injury problems.

More than likely he will just work on getting his body healthy, getting in superb shape and waiting till around December to sign with a team needing goalie help.

Teams like Colorado should Giguere get injured long term, Toronto should Gustavsson or Reimer falter, Tampa if Roloson shows his age, Columbus is Mason doesn't improve and Dekanich proves to be nothing more than a backup propped up in Nashville, New Jersey if Brodeur falters from age, or Phoenix when Smith and Labarbera fail (assuming they think Visetin still needs time to grow).

theIceWookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 09:45 AM
JBernierFan
Drink up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy8oooo View Post
That's the mystery though...was his injury related to his hip or was it something else? Perhaps a groin injury? I never heard anything other than it was a 'lower body' injury. If it's the hip that caused him the issues, then I would agree that it will probably give him troubles forever...but if something else, he could be completely healed.
A lot of times, when someone has a hip injury or doesn't have full movement, it affects the groin/pelvic area from overcompensating. Even if the injury wasn't directly the hip, it could has been due to it.

I think his injury history hurts him, as well as his baggage. I believe earlier in the off season I heard (I believe on XM) that he was looking for a team where he could have a chance at winning the #1 job. Not only are there no teams that need a back up right now at this point, there REALLY isn't a team that someone can win the #1 spot (well, except maybe Phoenix?)

JBernierFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 09:49 AM
Shaun_W_W

If Gus and/or Reimer struggle in pre-season I could see the Leafs offering him a 1 year contract to prove himself.

Shaun_W_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 10:00 AM
jmart21
MISC!!!

My guess would be that 10 games isn't enough to prove himself after major sugery and the bad-attitude rep he has had in the past.

Not sure GMs feel he's proved enough to take the risk. More of a desparation signing early season maybe?

jmart21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 10:14 AM
mightyquack
Rekordtorschtze!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmart21 View Post
My guess would be that 10 games isn't enough to prove himself after major sugery and the bad-attitude rep he has had in the past.

Not sure GMs feel he's proved enough to take the risk. More of a desparation signing early season maybe?
If he isn't signed it's purely based on injury history, he was a true professional in Anaheim. The hip thing has really changed his attitude around IMO.

The best thing for Ray is to go to a team where he can play 20-30 games for the next season and see how his hip holds up and go from there.

mightyquack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 10:22 AM
jmart21
MISC!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyquack View Post
If he isn't signed it's purely based on injury history, he was a true professional in Anaheim. The hip thing has really changed his attitude around IMO.

The best thing for Ray is to go to a team where he can play 20-30 games for the next season and see how his hip holds up and go from there.
That's fully understandable, I've heard he's really got his head screwed on straight now.

But with that said, I'm simply saying there will be some GMs out there that will keep this in mind and some that won't (still think he's a locker room risk). Which is also understandable. It just depends what the GMs in need of a goalies think.

jmart21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 01:56 PM
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmart21 View Post
That's fully understandable, I've heard he's really got his head screwed on straight now.

But with that said, I'm simply saying there will be some GMs out there that will keep this in mind and some that won't (still think he's a locker room risk). Which is also understandable. It just depends what the GMs in need of a goalies think.
He takes entirely too much flack for his pre-KHL years. He had his issues as a young just starting NHLer and then got hit hard by karma. He dealt with them and came back for the better. He played splendidly when he has been given the chance since then.

That said I completely get what your saying and it makes sense. I don't really blame GM's for thinking that. It's a shame but its just reality. Hopefully he can get a shot with someone and prove he is still a capable goalie. He has the talent and now the head.

theIceWookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 02:08 PM
The Waffler
Can wipe my own ass!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun_W_W View Post
If Gus and/or Reimer struggle in pre-season I could see the Leafs offering him a 1 year contract to prove himself.
What does he have to prove?

The Waffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 02:17 PM
The K Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Waffler View Post
What does he have to prove?
That he can still play well without his hip haunting him.

I think Phoenix should give a shot at him, their goaltending situation is brutal and Emery could help it immensely if stays healthy.

The K Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 02:20 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

If any team needs a 2/3 goalie who can maybe play 15-20 NHL games per year and mentor the young guys, ya know, teach them what not to do, I think he's a solid fit.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 04:14 PM
Kelly23
Pedroia and Drew

Would have thought Det would take him over the worst goalie in the league

Kelly23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 04:22 PM
The Waffler
Can wipe my own ass!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimsauce View Post
That he can still play well without his hip haunting him.

I think Phoenix should give a shot at him, their goaltending situation is brutal and Emery could help it immensely if stays healthy.
Small sample, but he was back to form and even better when he played in Anaheim. Unless he starts having problem with his hip again, it shouldn't even be an issue. He's 100%.

I was gonna suggest Phoenix as well. Would probably be a good opportunity for him to gain redemption (Cause apparently his stint in Anaheim wasn't enough). He could also be playing for a Canadian Market again within a year, hey-oh!

The Waffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 06:44 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
10 games don't prove anything. Not when you've got loony skills like Mike Tyson and cause more drama then a daytime soap opera.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 09:01 PM
Crazy8oooo
k ؃

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
10 games don't prove anything. Not when you've got loony skills like Mike Tyson and cause more drama then a daytime soap opera.

Yeah, because he's caused so much drama since his banishment to the KHL, right? The guy has grown up and showed that in the KHL, Philly, and Anaheim. It's 2011 now, not 2008.

edit: BTW, hasn't Sean Avery made headlines in the news several times?

Old
07-26-2011, 02:55 AM
Blaylock38
Bleeds Blue & White

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruins2010 View Post
Would have thought Det would take him over the worst goalie in the league
Interesting, Emery in Detroit, I could see that, maybe Conklin had the edge because he played there before, and doesn't the injury history that Emery has. Cool idea.

Blaylock38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 06:04 AM
tony d
Thanks for memories

Yeah, I see a team taking a chance on him early in the season once goaltending battles have been sorted out. Phoenix seems like a logical destination for him.