HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Ray Emery?

Old
08-09-2011, 08:54 AM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 1948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Guy View Post
His degenerative disease is something I'd be very weary of.

I love Razor and hope he can get back into being a number 1 because, if healthy, he can be a good one. But it's easy to see why GM are tentative about him, I don't think his personality is the problem.
Why do you think he is capable of being a No. 1? He's never proven that. All he's proven is that he is a streaky mediocre goalie. Sure when he's on a hot streak he looks like a No. 1. When he goes cold, he finds himself released. He's shown nothing that suggests he could be a competent backup goalie in this league. Otherwise, he wouldn't be a part time NHLer.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 10:06 AM
SlappyMcGee
=w=

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Farkas View Post
Given that it's anti-consensus (or at least, popular opinion) here, I'll take plenty of heat in the form of today's internet meme. But, I just can't figure out the obsession with this guy. I was never impressed with his game. His only real "claim to fame" (on the ice) was being a passenger on the 2007 Ottawa Senators Cup run behind a very good Ottawa defensive squad (that was picked apart via trade and free agency within, what, 18-24 months? And ended up proving to be way greater than the sum of its parts, way greater.)

Injury or no injury. Story or no story. His lateral movement has always been horrendous. He simply cannot get across the crease. His glove mechanics are awkward and lead to undesirable rebounds and the occasional soft goal. I don't care much for his rebound control which doesn't so much redirect rebounds to safety so much as it - well, regurgitates them to...anywhere.

It's not often you see a young goaltender who just led (? - I guess is how it's seen in retrospect) his team to the SC Finals get bought out and then not find an NHL job. This isn't a 37 year old goalie, this was a young goalie that a team decided they don't care to see the rest of the development curve. Again, I got the injury thing or the baggage thing or whatever else, fine. But before all that, he reminded me an awful lot of Robert Esche...not a good thing (although, like Emery, it was at the time).
You bring up good points but no way would you argue that McBackup is a better option than Ray.

SlappyMcGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 08:11 PM
TyMy57
Enroth is God

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
Yeah, that was one of the softest goals you'll ever see. Your little sister would have played that way better.
That's what I'm saying!

TyMy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 11:32 PM
DG

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyMy57 View Post
That's why. When it comes time to clutch time Emery melts and plays like my 15 year old sister who I don't think has watched a full game of hockey in her life.
That was his rookie year. I'd say he was pretty clutch one year later when he went to the SCF...

DG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 12:31 AM
TyMy57
Enroth is God

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG View Post
That was his rookie year. I'd say he was pretty clutch one year later when he went to the SCF...
I seem to have forgotten, did you guys win the cup? I don't think you guys went anywhere because of Emery, you went places because you were stacked @ forward with Alfredsson-Spezza-Heatley leading the way.

TyMy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 10:05 AM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 1948
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyMy57 View Post
I seem to have forgotten, did you guys win the cup? I don't think you guys went anywhere because of Emery, you went places because you were stacked @ forward with Alfredsson-Spezza-Heatley leading the way.
That Sens team was one of the best offensive teams of all time. I believe they broke the all time goals record. Emery was just along for the ride. .907 SV% in playoffs but with a good 2.26 GAA. Yup, that's mediocre play by Emery.

Last edited by coldsteelonice84: 08-10-2011 at 10:12 AM.
coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote