HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Partying prompted parting?

Closed Thread

Old
07-26-2011, 12:06 PM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
I think it's hilarious that people think revealing the cornerstone of your offseason plan ahead of time would have absolutely no detrimental effects.

They got the guy they wanted at reasonable,fair cap hit. I don't see the detrimental effects you speak of. They, unlike you and many others didn't want the B option in the net this year.

Old
07-26-2011, 12:09 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doyle View Post
Leadership Issues as Much a Part of Trades as “Dry Island”
http://nhlhotstove.com/leadership-is...as-dry-island/
edit: double post.

Old
07-26-2011, 12:10 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Clarke Fan Club View Post
They got the guy they wanted at reasonable,fair cap hit. I don't see the detrimental effects you speak of. They, unlike you and many others didn't want the B option in the net this year.
B option would have been Vokoun. He's not a bad goalie, you know.

My main problem with his contract is that it lasts for a really long time. If he decides he doesn't want to retire and he doesn't age well, that's a LOT of money tied up. Perhaps if the Flyers had any leverage, they could have had a shorter term, but they decided to give that up.

07-26-2011, 12:26 PM
DumpyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Clarke Fan Club View Post
That reasonable and fair cap hit comes at the expense of having to "marry" him to a nine year contract. Not everyone is comfortable with holding onto what could be another Luongo until he's 39.

Old
07-26-2011, 12:38 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownieFaceSoftener View Post
Yes, it does. He's not supporting the coach. He's supposed to bridge the gap between coach and players.

It was at minimum drawing negative attention from the media. At minimum.

Don't strawman what I said. It doesn't mean he has poor values, per se, but his values are not reflecting the leadership staff, which is what I actually said, and thus he's looking like a bad captain.

Of course he does. The contract is for *them*. The line between personal life and business life is thin as hell. More so with facebook, etc. Teachers get fired for posting racey pictures on facebook. It happens all the time. Being in game shape is part of the product. Hangovers hurt that. Tired players hurt that. It IS his business. Should he care about non-game-related personal matters? Nah, not if he doesn't want to do so.

They can, but when your coach comes asking for some sobriety, you go along with the coach. Set an example. Be a captain. Get on board.
I agree. How many sports contracts also include stipulations that the athlete not rock-climb, ride motorcycles (hello, Jeff Kent) or engage in other dangerous activities? The POV that athletes can tell their employers to stay out of their personal lives is laughable. Expecting young rich men to become teetotallers is extreme, unrealistic and intrusive, but if one gets to the point where drinking (or whatever) affects your performance, that flies in the face of the franchise's investment in you. Plus, it seems the grand collective here speaks highly of how the Flyers brass supports the players, creates a family atmosphere, etc., etc. I would hope that my employer would step in if he/she saw me demonstrate destructive behaviour beyond merely as someone who benefits from my work.

When you accept the captaincy of a sports organization, the stakes are higher. You assume a responsibility in contributing to and encouraging teamwork and collective commitment to the goal of winning. That also means a healthy respect for the coach, for the general manager and others who are part of the team.

It's very true that we have zero proof that any of this happened with Richards or Carter, and I want to stress that I am speaking in the hypothetical. It's a sad time that these questions even have to be posed about the players, the coach and the whole Flyers organization.

Old
07-26-2011, 12:41 PM
BernieParent

Quote:

My main problem with his contract is that it lasts for a really long time. If he decides he doesn't want to retire and he doesn't age well, that's a LOT of money tied up. Perhaps if the Flyers had any leverage, they could have had a shorter term, but they decided to give that up.
I can definitely agree that Vokoun here at a lower salary/cap hit/years would be the best-case scenario. I cling to the positive, though, that locking up Bryzgalov for too much/too long >>>>> the crapshow of last year's offseason and ending up with giving Leighton a raise.

Old
07-26-2011, 12:53 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
I can definitely agree that Vokoun here at a lower salary/cap hit/years would be the best-case scenario. I cling to the positive, though, that locking up Bryzgalov for too much/too long >>>>> the crapshow of last year's offseason and ending up with giving Leighton a raise.
Yeah, I'm looking to the dark clouds in the future and trying to ignore them so I can spend a couple of years swimming in the Pool of Good Goaltending. They're still hovering around though.

Old
07-26-2011, 12:59 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Vokoun sucks.. really

Old
07-26-2011, 01:07 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by funghoul View Post
Vokoun sucks.. really
I anticipate that it will be easy to achieve quorum for meetings of the group who believe this.

Old
07-26-2011, 01:09 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Yeah, I'm looking to the dark clouds in the future and trying to ignore them so I can spend a couple of years swimming in the Pool of Good Goaltending. They're still hovering around though.
What's crazy is the seismic shift in my fan attitude that these changes have caused. There were occasions on or around July 1 where I would see a goaltender still available, and immediately begin assessing his value to the Flyers and calculating how much it would cost to sign/trade for him. Then I'd remember, "Oh yeah, we have a goaltender."

Old
07-26-2011, 01:13 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:
I anticipate that it will be easy to achieve quorum for meetings of the group who believe this.
President Funghoul: I call this meeting of the Vokoun Sucks club to order. Sergeant of Arms Funghoul, please take attendence.

Sergeant of Arms Funghoul: Funghoul is present. The entire club is assembled.

President Funghoul: Secretary Funghoul, please proceed with the agenda.

Secretary Funghoul: The only item on the agenda is a vote to decide if Vokoun sucks. Motion to vote.

Funghoul: Seconded.

President Funghoul: All who think Vokoun sucks, say "aye."

Funghoul: Aye!

President Funghoul: By unanimous decision, it has been decided that Vokoun sucks. I adjourn this meeting until next week.

Quote:
What's crazy is the seismic shift in my fan attitude that these changes have caused. There were occasions on or around July 1 where I would see a goaltender still available, and immediately begin assessing his value to the Flyers and calculating how much it would cost to sign/trade for him. Then I'd remember, "Oh yeah, we have a goaltender."
I keep worrying about how badly our goaltenders will get shredded if Pronger and Timonen get injured, and then I remember that we don't have a rookie and a career backup.

Old
07-26-2011, 01:21 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Well i guess you told me......btw he USED to be good. we made the right decision.

Old
07-26-2011, 01:25 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by funghoul View Post
Well i guess you told me......btw he USED to be good. we made the right decision.
You're entitled to your opinion, but I just have no idea how you've formed it. His numbers aren't bad considering the team he was on.

Old
07-26-2011, 01:54 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

FWIW... I know many have issues with Eklund, but whatever way you go on him I believe you'll find this blog interesting on the Dry Island matter:

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklun...-story/1/37277

Old
07-26-2011, 01:56 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
That's pretty extreme. Posting opinion as fact, are we?

Any timing would have been weird, when would have been a good time to release this info?
What portion of my post are you questioning?

Old
07-26-2011, 01:57 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Why was my citing an Eklund blog on the Dry Island deleted?... Serious question, not trying to make trouble.

EDIT: It was there and then it wasn't... and then it was again... Thanks, Beef for the response.

Why does hat remind me of an old Donovan song from the Sixties? haha

Last edited by Sawdalite: 07-26-2011 at 02:03 PM.
Old
07-26-2011, 01:58 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdalite View Post
Why was my citing an Eklund blog on the Dry Island deleted?... Serious question, not trying to make trouble.
It wasn't, it's likely a DB issue. Give it a minute and it ought to appear.

Old
07-26-2011, 02:07 PM
tuckrr

Quote:

I strongly believe bryz will head to russia if Bob beats him out of the #1 spot one day...

Old
07-26-2011, 02:09 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckrr View Post
I strongly believe bryz will head to russia if Bob beats him out of the #1 spot one day...
Unless his play drops off to the point where no KHL teams will pay him more than the Flyers are. Then we'll have a fun puzzle to solve. We'd have to do whatever Chicago did with Huet I guess.

Old
07-26-2011, 03:07 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdalite View Post
FWIW... I know many have issues with Eklund, but whatever way you go on him I believe you'll find this blog interesting on the Dry Island matter:

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklun...-story/1/37277
Interesting read...this is why in an earlier post I said it does kind of matter who the leaker or rat is..especially if they are still on the team which I highly doubt. Mentioned a couple of possible culprits and still think they are likely...but again who knows..then again curious to know..human nature.

Old
07-26-2011, 03:30 PM
zamboni88

Richards on Dry Island - "It was a joke"

I'm glad this bum is in LA now - he is clueless.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=372507

Quote:
"It wasn't a big deal...It was just a joke around the locker room and obviously leaked out and someone's trying to make a mountain out of it."

Old
07-26-2011, 03:34 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamboni88 View Post
I'm glad this bum is in LA now - he is clueless.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=372507
Right, I guarantee Flyers' brass is sending him a "thank you" card and a bottle of his favorite bourbon in return for downplaying it.

The guy is essentially helping the team out by downplaying this, and he has no reason to...yet you still trash him.

Old
07-26-2011, 03:40 PM
zamboni88

Quote:
Right, I guarantee Flyers' brass is sending him a "thank you" card and a bottle of his favorite bourbon in return for downplaying it.

The guy is essentially helping the team out by downplaying this, and he has no reason to...yet you still trash him.
That's right - I trash EX FLYER Mike Richards every chance I get - all of those deleted threads I started stating he was a poor choice for captain, remember those? He is a bum - someday you will grow up and admit you over hyped #18.

Old
07-26-2011, 03:41 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamboni88 View Post
That's right - I trash EX FLYER Mike Richards every chance I get - all of those deleted threads I started stating he was a poor choice for captain, remember those? He is a bum - someday you will grow up and admit you over hyped #18.
Man, I'd love to know what he did to make you hate him so much. And yes, I do remember your troll threads well. I remind you to not discuss moderation in the open forums. PM exists.

Old
07-26-2011, 03:46 PM
zamboni88

Quote:
Man, I'd love to know what he did to make you hate him so much. And yes, I do remember your troll threads well. I remind you to not discuss moderation in the open forums. PM exists.
It's not what he did - it's what he didn't do. He did not lead this team. He was a favorite of John Stevens and did not earn the C.

Closed Thread