HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Partying prompted parting?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-25-2011, 05:06 PM
  #176
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener
 
SeanCWombBroom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 4,252
vCash: 500
<-- Too soon?

SeanCWombBroom is offline  
Old
07-25-2011, 05:06 PM
  #177
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul
 
Sawdalite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Girouxsalem
Posts: 5,275
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanSciver View Post
I don't see how the Flyers dicked him over.
If anything they gave more than enough chances.

Sawdalite is offline  
Old
07-25-2011, 05:10 PM
  #178
Flyrs21
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 200
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan808 View Post
If my boss came to me and tried to make me put my name on a board and pledge not to drink alcohol for any length of time, I wouldn't sign my name just because of the principle. I am of the opinion that a person can do whatever they'd like after work hours, as long as they aren't doing anything illegal and it doesn't affect their work performance. If this "pledge" is what caused a locker room rift, then that is sad... really sad.
How do you know their "partying" didn't affect their work performance. Maybe if they didn't party Carter scores 50 goals and Richards gets 90 points.

Why is it sad that the "pledge" caused a rift in the locker room? What if you worked with someone that didn't want to conform to the standards of your workplace and you worked your a$$ off to benefit the company and they just get by doing the minimum.

Would that make you happy.

Flyrs21 is offline  
Old
07-25-2011, 05:11 PM
  #179
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener
 
SeanCWombBroom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 4,252
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan808 View Post
If my boss came to me and tried to make me put my name on a board and pledge not to drink alcohol for any length of time, I wouldn't sign my name just because of the principle. I am of the opinion that a person can do whatever they'd like after work hours, as long as they aren't doing anything illegal and it doesn't affect their work performance. If this "pledge" is what caused a locker room rift, then that is sad... really sad.
Then you would be a bad captain. Your values are supposed to reflect leaderships. Even if you disagree, you do so privately.

It was dodgey and childish not to sign up. Six times. I can imagine how much they had to avoid eye-contact while other people signed it.

And as to the "rumors" they partied a lot. They did. It's a well known fact in Old City and Center City in the bar scene. Hell, Marissa from MMR morning show openly talks about it, them, and other Flyers. Especially at "S****y Bubbles" and yes, during the season.

SeanCWombBroom is offline  
Old
07-25-2011, 05:18 PM
  #180
BillyShoe1721
Terriers
 
BillyShoe1721's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 16,503
vCash: 844
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Signing him to a contract, giving him the idea that he'll be the starter, he starts one game then you banish him to the minors. And he'll be there again this season. He just seems like that kind of guy, just a feeling.

BillyShoe1721 is offline  
Old
07-25-2011, 05:19 PM
  #181
MsWoof
Registered User
 
MsWoof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,478
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdalite View Post
I also was in that area during those Cup years and beyond and personally witness them out at the drinking establishment... often... I tried to compare those days with what we are getting from the Old City Gang escapades -- taking into consideration there were no phone cameras nor Twitter to memorialize the events -- The So Jersey outings seem to be more of a social thing and you often saw bunches of them... and when you ran across one alone they would often be willing to chat away about all things hockey.

And many of the players were married and at times had their wives with them... and they were for the most part older and more mature 'innocent' Canadian guy... not to say that they didn't hang one on at times and get drunk.

From what I see and read the Old Ciy Gang are more partyers than socializers... and they are single and out to do what most all young single dudes have done when they have expendable cash -- something the old Bullies and other era Flyers really did have as much of -- I take nothing away from what I understand went on in Old City and Ocean City (OCx2)... I can see myself doing the same in their situations... as long as it didn't effect the old paying jobs.

I believe lot of the pictures were staged, such as the booze bottle chugging with the cap still on, and I see them as sewing their wild oats... and that is fine to a reasonable point, and I don't say that they passed that point, not at all.

What I am saying is that IMO the two era's players are not the same situations... IMO there is so much more that is there and we don't know about... and had it not been for all this other unknown non-partying crap we may never have discussed the drinking/partying/socializing in the same manner we are here... In the past we would just wink and talk about seeing Clarkie, or Schultz, or MacLeish, or Orest, or Propper, or McCrimmon, or yada yada yada.
Those pictures, for better or worse did nothing but bite them in the ass and they were pretty innocent. I'm sure we all have pictures of ourselves with large amounts of bottles doing stupid things when we were their age, I have a ton of them here...must dig them up for a laugh but I digress. Since those pictures came out, has anyone seen a single picture of any of the young guys with booze? I haven't seen anything here or on other boards with Carter and Richards in years. The only pictures I've seen recently were of The Briouxs and that porn star that was in a picture with Richards and there were a ton of empties on the table they were at, and in the past couple of weeks Wayne Simmonds with the Stewart brothers and a very large bottle of Bacardi in Simmonds' hands.

MsWoof is offline  
Old
07-25-2011, 05:24 PM
  #182
Jumping
Registered User
 
Jumping's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Atlanta Ga
Country: United States
Posts: 1,320
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
HBO 24/7 might be pretty interesting.
Not now.

I do think that using Ovechkin and Semin as comparable "partiers" is not very valid... or maybe it is. The Caps haven't won a Stanley Cup with this group either. As a matter of fact they probably have flamed out worse.

Jumping is offline  
Old
07-25-2011, 05:28 PM
  #183
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul
 
Sawdalite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Girouxsalem
Posts: 5,275
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 View Post
Signing him to a contract, giving him the idea that he'll be the starter, he starts one game then you banish him to the minors. And he'll be there again this season. He just seems like that kind of guy, just a feeling.
Facts:

They twice they claimed him from the waiver wire.

They gave him the starting job over Boosh when Emery went down.

They stuck with him through his awful SCF starts

They signed him to $1.5M two year contract this season (Starters salary)

They didn't fight him after it was discovered he had health issues when he signed

They brought him in and only waived him after he had a horrendous start and they hit Cap problems

They brought him up for the Postseason, risking Waiver claim and dead Cap space

They gave him a start in this last Postseason

They have not once placed any blame on him


... Yeah, they really screwed him over, huh?


... With that I see no reason to throw him under the bus in this ratting out case without any proof or knowledge.



PS: That 'one game' you speak of came after a long stint on IR, BTW... and we don't know for sure he will be with the Phantoms until after Camp.


Last edited by Sawdalite: 07-25-2011 at 05:36 PM.
Sawdalite is offline  
Old
07-25-2011, 05:37 PM
  #184
tuckrr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,491
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Let me quote myself from Offseason Thread:

"We have no proof they were drinking that heavily. If Lappy and Bob are correct, then they weren't.

Based on the info we have, it's just as safe to say that Pronger (who was known to be a divisive guy before he got here) caused a split in the locker room. When Lavi came in, he discussed the team with Homer, a recovered alcoholic who can't be trusted to have an unbiased view of drinking. Working together, they agreed to try and get the whole team to quit drinking. This only deepened the divide. Lavi, a "my way or the highway" guy, was incapable of diplomatically resolving the situation, leading to big trades.

That's just as plausible as "They were hopeless drunks!" We simply still don't have enough concrete info to firmly say what happened, and so I still stick by "Both the organization AND the players are to blame." This is likely a VERY complicated issue, with more facets than we are giving it here."
I can tell you for a FACT that the primary reason they were traded was because of excessive partying, and that the organization was concerned they weren't going to stop any time soon.

You are free to ignore that, but you would be a fool to do so.

tuckrr is offline  
Old
07-25-2011, 05:40 PM
  #185
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 33,805
vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckrr View Post
I can tell you for a FACT that the primary reason they were traded was because of excessive partying, and that the organization was concerned they weren't going to stop any time soon.

You are free to ignore that, but you would be a fool to do so.
You can tell me it's a FACT that was the primary reason they were traded in the same way I can tell you it's a FACT the Moon is made of cheese and unicorn poop.

You can't prove that claim, and you certainly can't claim it's fact. it's nothing more than an opinion you've assembled from rumors.

__________________
Down in the basement, I've got a Craftsman lathe. Show it to the children when they misbehave.
Beef Invictus is online now  
Old
07-25-2011, 05:49 PM
  #186
MsWoof
Registered User
 
MsWoof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,478
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
You can tell me it's a FACT that was the primary reason they were traded in the same way I can tell you it's a FACT the Moon is made of cheese and unicorn poop.

You can't prove that claim, and you certainly can't claim it's fact. it's nothing more than an opinion you've assembled from rumors.
http://*******.com/3et6ej4

LOL, look where it leads to!

damn you HF and your dumb asterisks! Basically it led right back to Beef's post above mine!


Last edited by MsWoof: 07-25-2011 at 06:02 PM.
MsWoof is offline  
Old
07-25-2011, 05:54 PM
  #187
Bryz4shiz
Registered User
 
Bryz4shiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Southie
Posts: 2,726
vCash: 500
FACT Carter and Richards were traded because they don't party enough. Sober Island is being misreported, it was actually get ****ing tanked Island. Pronger wasn't happy because Carter and Richards didn't drink enough so that's why Simmonds, Voracek, and Schenn, guys known for their hard partying ways were brought in

Bryz4shiz is offline  
Old
07-25-2011, 05:59 PM
  #188
Flyerfan808
Registered User
 
Flyerfan808's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Honolulu, HI
Country: United States
Posts: 2,001
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyrs21 View Post
How do you know their "partying" didn't affect their work performance. Maybe if they didn't party Carter scores 50 goals and Richards gets 90 points.

Why is it sad that the "pledge" caused a rift in the locker room? What if you worked with someone that didn't want to conform to the standards of your workplace and you worked your a$$ off to benefit the company and they just get by doing the minimum.

Would that make you happy.
1. I never stated that it wasn't a problem. I simply said that IF it wasn't affecting work. Obviously management made that call and I think they got it wrong.

2. Maybe Carter and Richards don't "party" and they STILL don't put up 50 goals and 90 points. No way to prove this. Funny that their production was never an issue until it "comes out" that they "partied alot." Now all of the sudden we feel like they owe us something more than they gave us. I never heard one complaint about Carter scoring 46 goals... or Richards being a PPG player... ever until now. How many Flyers fans wore the pic of Richie and Carter Chugging bottles of alcohol or the one with Gianna Lynn on Richards lap as their avatars. If I recall it was actually point of pride amongst the fan base. Now they're scoundrels.

3. It's sad because it never should have been instituted in the first place. Your employer has no right to tell you what to do in your spare time and they can't force you to go along with a "pledge." How about, "I'll do whatever the **** I please in my spare time?"

4. How are other players working harder than Richards or Carter by not partying? I could see if by standards of the workplace you meant showing up on time, meeting deadlines/ staying late if you need to, being presentably dressed, having proper hygiene, not surfing the internet while at work, etc. etc. etc. But if my boss said to me; I hear you went to a party this weekend... For the sake of the "workplace" I'm going to have to ask you sign a pledge to stop this behaviour. Would I be wrong if I told him that it wasn't any of his ****ing business?

Quote:
Then you would be a bad captain. Your values are supposed to reflect leaderships. Even if you disagree, you do so privately.

It was dodgey and childish not to sign up. Six times. I can imagine how much they had to avoid eye-contact while other people signed it.

And as to the "rumors" they partied a lot. They did. It's a well known fact in Old City and Center City in the bar scene. Hell, Marissa from MMR morning show openly talks about it, them, and other Flyers. Especially at "S****y Bubbles" and yes, during the season.
I disagree. My values are my values. Leadership cannot make me sign up for a pledge which I do not agree with and I would not sign it if I did not agree with it.

What if for instance your boss told you to sign a pledge to go to church every sunday? or to give up sex with your wife for a month? These are personal choices... not things that management should be allowed to tinker with.

The Pledge is a ****ing joke.

Flyerfan808 is offline  
Old
07-25-2011, 06:03 PM
  #189
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 33,805
vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanSciver View Post
After hearing this, I'm less of a fan of Laviolette
It's my turn to say "I agree." This sort of thing really helps one understand why Lavi is known for having a short shelf life as a coach.

Beef Invictus is online now  
Old
07-25-2011, 06:19 PM
  #190
VanSciver
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,302
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyrs21 View Post
How do you know their "partying" didn't affect their work performance. Maybe if they didn't party Carter scores 50 goals and Richards gets 90 points.

Why is it sad that the "pledge" caused a rift in the locker room? What if you worked with someone that didn't want to conform to the standards of your workplace and you worked your a$$ off to benefit the company and they just get by doing the minimum.

Would that make you happy.
No workplace has a right to tell you by what standard to live your personell life. Did Richards and Carter just get by, doing the minimum?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckrr View Post
I can tell you for a FACT that the primary reason they were traded was because of excessive partying, and that the organization was concerned they weren't going to stop any time soon.

You are free to ignore that, but you would be a fool to do so.
You couldn't possibly tell anyone for a fact that they were traded for excess partying. If you have some information, spill it. And make it credible. And not I work with a guy who knows a guy, etc. Name names, and give details of how you know this for a fact

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownieFaceSoftener View Post
Then you would be a bad captain. Your values are supposed to reflect leaderships. Even if you disagree, you do so privately.

It was dodgey and childish not to sign up. Six times. I can imagine how much they had to avoid eye-contact while other people signed it.

And as to the "rumors" they partied a lot. They did. It's a well known fact in Old City and Center City in the bar scene. Hell, Marissa from MMR morning show openly talks about it, them, and other Flyers. Especially at "S****y Bubbles" and yes, during the season.
That doesn't make you a bad Captain. What you do in your spare time, as long an no laws are being broken, and it's not affecting the team, a player isn't required to sign up for and voluntarily stop drinking. How in the World does that point to a player having poor values? That's laughable.

As far as I'm concerned, Laviolette is the only one that was childish. I don't know if that's the term I would use, but this was poor judgement on his part. He has no business in the players personell lives.

As for the rest, oh my goodness, Richards and Carter went out and partied socially. How could we possibly put up with that. LOL


Last edited by VanSciver: 07-25-2011 at 06:27 PM.
VanSciver is offline  
Old
07-25-2011, 07:15 PM
  #191
Razor the Goalie
Can I Get a Hot Tub
 
Razor the Goalie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Waiting in Shadows
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 348
vCash: 500
The past is the past, I think it's time to focus on what is more important and look at the the team we have now.

Whether they chewed on candy cigarettes or drank ever clear, they are no longer here, it was written in a gossip column, I think the Flyers are taking things out the Eagles book and dropping information to stay relevant in the off season,

Razor the Goalie is offline  
Old
07-25-2011, 07:43 PM
  #192
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul
 
Sawdalite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Girouxsalem
Posts: 5,275
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldberg The Goalie View Post
The past is the past, I think it's time to focus on what is more important and look at the the team we have now.

Whether they chewed on candy cigarettes or drank ever clear, they are no longer here, it was written in a gossip column, I think the Flyers are taking things out the Eagles book and dropping information to stay relevant in the off season,
Sure hope it wasn't the Flyers that leaked that out... that would be like shooting themselves in the foot.

Sawdalite is offline  
Old
07-25-2011, 08:01 PM
  #193
tuckrr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,491
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
You can tell me it's a FACT that was the primary reason they were traded in the same way I can tell you it's a FACT the Moon is made of cheese and unicorn poop.

You can't prove that claim, and you certainly can't claim it's fact. it's nothing more than an opinion you've assembled from rumors.
Lol you are sorely mistaken buddy.

Im not about to go into detail about how I know, but if you are interested PM me or chris.

tuckrr is offline  
Old
07-25-2011, 08:04 PM
  #194
MsWoof
Registered User
 
MsWoof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,478
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdalite View Post
Sure hope it wasn't the Flyers that leaked that out... that would be like shooting themselves in the foot.
Kind of like blabbing to the world that you WILL get an elite goalie come hell or high water and blowing your negotiation tactics to smithereens...oh, wait...

MsWoof is offline  
Old
07-25-2011, 08:07 PM
  #195
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 33,805
vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckrr View Post
Lol you are sorely mistaken buddy.

Im not about to go into detail about how I know, but if you are interested PM me or chris.
I've already seen or heard all the sources, and if they're right then they point to an organization that has no interest in helping its own.

edit: Or, more accurately, they have no earthly idea how to do so.


Last edited by Beef Invictus: 07-25-2011 at 08:15 PM.
Beef Invictus is online now  
Old
07-25-2011, 08:19 PM
  #196
tuckrr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,491
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
I've already seen or heard all the sources, and if they're right then they point to an organization that has no interest in helping its own.

edit: Or, more accurately, they have no earthly idea how to do so.
They are speculating. If you ever to want to believe/trust me let me know.

It may be worth your while.

tuckrr is offline  
Old
07-25-2011, 08:33 PM
  #197
VanSciver
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,302
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckrr View Post
They are speculating. If you ever to want to believe/trust me let me know.

It may be worth your while.
If it may be worth your while, then post it. Let everyone benefit from this info. If it's true and you can offer corroboration and proof of whatever "info" you have then post it up. What's the problem?

VanSciver is offline  
Old
07-25-2011, 08:40 PM
  #198
funghoul
retardo montalbon
 
funghoul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: upper drugs
Country: United States
Posts: 1,671
vCash: 500
WAH! Laviolette made my favorite players stop drinkin, WAH! Then he made them get traded, WAH! If we had won a cup, id be pissed but we didnt and this is why we watch and this is why the Flyers are the best team in the NHL. THE M U T H UH F in DRAMA. you love it. i just bought 5 games center ice cause i cant afford season tickets but i gotta be close and see this nonsense live!

funghoul is offline  
Old
07-25-2011, 08:42 PM
  #199
bobafettish*
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 5,961
vCash: 500
time to trade Wayne Simmons yall


if partying and drinking was a problem why would they trade for a known partier....

bobafettish* is offline  
Old
07-25-2011, 08:45 PM
  #200
Bob Clarke Fan Club
Registered User
 
Bob Clarke Fan Club's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,851
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobafettish View Post
time to trade Wayne Simmons yall


if partying and drinking was a problem why would they trade for a known partier....



They're probably not planning on marrying this "known partier" to an 11 year deal.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:53 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.