HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Nhl Cba Talks End After 4 Hours

Closed Thread

Old
08-04-2004, 01:55 PM
Joe T Choker
Las Vegas Black Aces

vCash: 500
Labour talks end after four hours

Four hours and they split like braindead boxers to their corners

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=93576

Old
08-04-2004, 01:58 PM
HeavyD

I dont think these talks will have any signifigance until D-day. Dont expect them to solve anything until then.

Old
08-04-2004, 02:08 PM
The Sanchise

Nhl Cba Talks End After 4 Hours

The two sides spent most of the day discussing the six "concepts" for a new CBA that the league first put forward at their previous sessions July 21 in New York.

For more:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=93576

Old
08-04-2004, 02:24 PM
infinitesadd

I think we will have a situation similar to major league baseball a couple years ago. Its going to come down to midnight on the deadline day, and they get a luxury tax in.

Old
08-04-2004, 02:35 PM
Oilers Ent

Send a message via MSN to Oilers Ent

Four Hours? Wow. I'm impressed.

Meanwhile the rest of us likely work 8hr shifts 5 days a week. God I hope all of this is just positioning and in reality they are both ready to buckle.

Old
08-04-2004, 02:57 PM
Kill 'Em All

the nhl is dead set on a salary cap, and that's soemthing the PA's never agree to.

i hope the PA take as long as it is needed, so that they can come to an agreement without having to submit to a salary cap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikeisevil

Meanwhile the rest of us likely work 8hr shifts 5 days a week. God I hope all of this is just positioning and in reality they are both ready to buckle.
than perhaps you should've been a hockey player yourself... or maybe an actor, or rock star... instead of whatever you're doing now.

your complaint makes you sound like a gelous, lazy whiner... you know, there's nothing wrong with working "8hr shifts 5 days a week" for your money; not everyone has the athletic talent(s) to make millions of $$$ (me included). you should be glad you live in a country where you don't have to work 7 days a week, with half the pay, and still not have enough for a descent living.

Old
08-04-2004, 03:03 PM
Slats432

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kill 'Em All
the nhl is dead set on a salary cap, and that's soemthing the PA's never agree to.

i hope the PA take as long as it is needed, so that they can come to an agreement without having to submit to a salary cap.

than perhaps you should've been a hockey player yourself... or maybe an actor, or rock star... instead of whatever you're doing now.

your complaint makes you sound like a gelous, lazy whiner... you know, there's nothing wrong with working "8hr shifts 5 days a week" for your money; not everyone has the athletic talent(s) to make millions of $$$ (me included). you should be glad you live in a country where you don't have to work 7 days a week, with half the pay, and still not have enough for a descent living.
I am sure you are missing the point of the post. Like, why couldn't the negotiators bother to put in a full day of negotitations. A little testy are we?

Old
08-04-2004, 03:04 PM
ACC1224

Quote:

when you work in the real world, a four hour meeting can take weeks to prepare for, they don't just show up and start talking....to get to the level these guys have you definately work more than 40 hours a week.

Old
08-04-2004, 03:10 PM
Karl Pilkington

How the meeting went:

Bettman camp: You're wong.
Goodenough camp: No, YOU'RE wrong
Bettman camp: NO-YOU'RRRRE wrong
Goodenough camp: You're wrong times infinity!!!
Bettman camp: You're wrong times infinity plus ONE!
Goodenough camp: :mad:

Old
08-04-2004, 03:11 PM
Slats432

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224
when you work in the real world, a four hour meeting can take weeks to prepare for, they don't just show up and start talking....to get to the level these guys have you definately work more than 40 hours a week.
And when you are a lawyer in the real world, you work for the four hours and tell your secretary to hold your calls while you hit the links.

Nice to see that we have had two meetings this whole summer, and one more scheduled for two weeks from now. I am with nikeisevil, they should be working harder at it than they are.

Old
08-04-2004, 03:16 PM
Kaiped Krusader

Neither side wants to push for more involved talks at this point because neither side wants to appear desperate, giving the others the upper hand.

Old
08-04-2004, 03:56 PM
Oilers Ent

Quote:

Are you George Bush?

Old
08-04-2004, 03:57 PM
Oilers Ent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224
Hey granted - but why not meet every day for a few hours or 2 or 3 times a week? What's this with 4 hour sessions every couple of weeks?

Old
08-04-2004, 04:06 PM
Go_Krusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseTheo
How the meeting went:

Bettman camp: You're wong.
Goodenough camp: No, YOU'RE wrong
Bettman camp: NO-YOU'RRRRE wrong
Goodenough camp: You're wrong times infinity!!!
Bettman camp: You're wrong times infinity plus ONE!
Goodenough camp: :mad:

You forgot to mention how these comments spanned 4 hours and then talks broke down...

Old
08-04-2004, 04:33 PM
Vlad The Impaler

From the article

As well, 56 percent of fans believe the players association needs to be the one to compromise when it comes to a new deal while only 14 percent believe both sides need to compromise in the dispute.

The survey of 928 Canadians also found that most fans believe most NHL teams are in financial trouble.

They forget to mention this means at least 30% of the surveyed are one step away from being braind dead.

Old
08-04-2004, 04:39 PM
Oilers Ent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad The Impaler
...braind dead.
Don't you just hate making typos when you are calling other people idiots? I know I do.

Old
08-04-2004, 04:50 PM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
Don't you just hate making typos when you are calling other people idiots? I know I do.
I don't. Just a typo

Old
08-04-2004, 05:06 PM
ulf

d day is not till the middle of jan...just like last time. so don't expect much movement fron either side till the possibility of losing the entire season[and thus the playoff revenues]rears it's ugly head...then we'll have hockey again

Old
08-04-2004, 05:30 PM
benji
Took too much, man.

Send a message via MSN to benji
I think Sportsnet said it best on the front page:

"Both sides agreed to meet again August 17. And why not? It's not like there's a rush on this issue."

Old
08-04-2004, 07:57 PM
Egil

Even sept 15th isn't a hard deadline for having a complete season.

Just imagine the outraged fans as training camps are shortened by 2 days. The horror, the unimaginable horror.

I still think both sides are trying to apear "stronger" than the other, as a barganing tactic. Yet each side is equaly weak once revenues start to get lost. All this "2 years" talk is complete BS, and shouldn't be taken seriously.

Old
08-04-2004, 08:12 PM
Prince Mercury

Quote:

So you are saying that the already rich people who are running pro hockey into the ground to get richer are correct?

I'm sorry man, but the players play hockey for a living and get millions of dollars. I'm not saying they shouldn't be well paid, but I am saying that they shouldn't make money on the backs of the fans the way they do. Ticket prices are ridiculously high and teams are still in constant fear of moving - in fact, most teams don't even make money.

Oh, and I can name a few NHL players who don't seem to know the meaning of "hard work". Maybe they should try 40 hour work weeks instead of snoring through half a dozen shifts three nights a week.

Old
08-04-2004, 09:01 PM
DontTouchMyDonskoi
4everFerkland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Mercury
So you are saying that the already rich people who are running pro hockey into the ground to get richer are correct?

I'm sorry man, but the players play hockey for a living and get millions of dollars. I'm not saying they shouldn't be well paid, but I am saying that they shouldn't make money on the backs of the fans the way they do. Ticket prices are ridiculously high and teams are still in constant fear of moving - in fact, most teams don't even make money.

Oh, and I can name a few NHL players who don't seem to know the meaning of "hard work". Maybe they should try 40 hour work weeks instead of snoring through half a dozen shifts three nights a week.
i see you have not really given the topic much thought, just regurgitate falsehoods. Why would ticket prices come down ? Secondly, the current system allows the owners to pay the players exactly what they choose. Why throw the baby out with the bath water ?

dr

Old
08-04-2004, 09:21 PM
Kill 'Em All

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Bachul
I am sure you are missing the point of the post. Like, why couldn't the negotiators bother to put in a full day of negotitations. A little testy are we?
what can i say, i support the PA.

Quote:
Are you George Bush?
no, just a supporter.

btw, are you john kerry? you sound like one of them rich-hating dems, to me.

Quote:
"the already rich people" that are "running pro hockey into the ground" are the owners, not the players.

the owners are the ones that agreed to paying the insane contracts in the 1st place... $9 mil for holik, $6 mil for lapointe...

Quote:
1. players don't make money "on the backs of the fans." at least not on those that don't participate. if you don't agree with how much the players make, than stop supporting the nhl.

2. ticket prices won't change with a new cba. why would the owners fight for a new cba, and than cut down on their revenues?

3. the reason why hockey is on such shaky ground, is because they've expanded to too many places where hockey just doesn't have a place, and/or a strong fanbase (it's why those teams are't making any money, either). imo, the best thing that could happen to hockey would be contraction.

Quote:
oh, because regular folks don't breeze thru their jobs, sometimes. give me a break.

Old
08-04-2004, 09:33 PM
ulf

maybe they should cap ticket prices on say 15000 seats and agree on a split amongst players and owners on that revenue.....

Old
08-04-2004, 09:39 PM
Randall Graves*

i'm hoping these parties are not stupid enough to allow another strike.

4 hours...thats not good, whats worse is they go for weeks without talking.

Closed Thread