HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Zherdev signs with KHL's Atlant Mytishchi (updated Aug 3)

Old
07-25-2011, 08:46 AM
UkraineTrain

vCash: 500
Zherdev signs with KHL's Atlant Mytishchi (updated Aug 3)

There's a rumor in Russian newspapers that Nik Zherdev may sign a deal with Jets. Do you guys want him on your team? Any thoughts?

UkraineTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 09:24 AM
Hank Chinaski

vCash: 50
http://www.sport.ru/ru/news/20110725...article174444/

via google
Quote:
After the Philadelphia Flyers refused to renew the contract with the 27-year old Russian winger Nikolai Zherdev, the player has expressed interest from Winnipeg Jets
If Nik can not come to agreement with Jets did not rule out the possibility, in which Zherdev will return to Russia and continue his career in "Atlanta." According to the his agent, that option will be considered only in case if he can not agree with, "Winnipeg".

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 09:26 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Contributor

vCash: 69
I honestly can't see management signing a guy like this, it basically goes against all they stand for.

The one and only thing that even makes me think it stands the smallest of chances, is Claude Noel was the asst. coach in Columbus when Zherdev scored 26 goals and 61 points in 2007-2008, Noel's first year in Columbus and Zherdev's last.

Unless Noel really see's something here that he can work with, it won't happen.

[edit now that there is a link] - If this is true, Zherdev must hold some value in his relationship with Claude Noel, especially if he wants to step foot inside what will be a crazy Winnipeg market with a huge spotlight. IF this is the case, and IF Zherdev is serious and committed, and IF Claude Noel feels comfortable with Zherdev from their time in Columbus, then and only then would I be ok with giving this a chance. But the leash will obviously be a short one.

Last edited by Guerzy: 07-25-2011 at 09:36 AM.
Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 09:31 AM
Le Golie

If true this surprises me too. He just doesn't seem like a guy this organization would want - so many character issues.

Le Golie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 09:46 AM
LTZ

If the price is right...maybe. He's got offensive talent, which we need. If the coaching staff and team can deal with his issues he may be a good pick-up. However, we already have one grossly overpaid guy on the team who's loaded with talent but content with mediocrity...Antropov. Don't need players like that.

If Zherdev wants to play some hockey and be a team player while doing it, give him a chance at a reasonable price.

LTZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 09:53 AM
tacogeoff

vCash: 460
Hard to see winniPeg picking him up. I had a friend who played within the same orginization as him and when he came back we were chatting about the team. He said Z was an amazing offensive talent but has to be diva like treated and ego stroked to bring it out or u just get a guy there for the money not the game. Whether my buddy is off on his evaluation is up for debate but I believe him.

tacogeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 09:55 AM
PaperRockChamp

vCash: 50
I asked @dchesnokov . he said he would elaborate on Zherdev later in the day.

PaperRockChamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 10:09 AM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
I honestly can't see management signing a guy like this, it basically goes against all they stand for.
Correct. They've often said that character of the player will define player selection; Zherdev is well known as a flake. Can't see them signing this guy, nor do I want them to.

Gump Hasek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 10:30 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Contributor

IF Selanne decided to come back to Winnipeg, he would be a guy I would put my trust in to help a guy like Zherdev IF Noel and management felt comfortable with him and IF Zherdev appears committed. He may be if he is reaching out to Winnipeg here and he obviously likes Claude Noel. I understand that no other teams in the league may be interested in Zherdev, and rightfully so. Perhaps this is why he is reaching out. With that being said, Winnipeg is going to be a huge, huge spotlight, so for a player to come with his baggage, and he knows he's got it, he's got to be ready for it... perhaps he is?

I am no sucker for players with the talent but the lack of effort and drive to use it, thus why I cannot stand players like Alexei Kovalev. However, this *may* be a recipe for success if the chips fall into place here.

- In 2007-2008, Claude Noel was asst. coach in Columbus, his first year there and Zherdev's final year there. That season Zherdev scored 26 goals and 61 points. There will be a familiarity there between Zherdev and Noel. Going by this rumor, it appears Zherdev is quite comfortable with Claude Noel, which could be a good thing.

- IF Zherdev appears committed in his talks with management, and if (I can't stress the "if's" enough) management feel comfortable with this, I would be okay with it. This is a player who without question is at the end of the rope in terms of an NHL shelf life, step up, or step out.

- If Teemu Selanne decided to come back to Winnipeg, perhaps he could be an excellent mentor for not only our other young players, but a player such as Zherdev who has struggled to find common ground and form himself into the NHL'er many thought his talent would lead him to be.

Ladd - Little - Selanne
Kane - Burmistrov - Wheeler
Zherdev - Antropov - Fehr
Glass - Slater - Thorburn
Rypien

Enstrom - Byfuglien
Hainsey - Bogosian
Stuart - Oduya
Jones

Pavelec
Mason

That's not too shabby, in my opinion. No reason this group couldn't contend for a playoff spot and hold one of the leagues top PP's. I would personally be extremely excited if this was our line-up heading into the season.

Old
07-25-2011, 10:34 AM
bigplay41*
BIG MEECH

Send a message via AIM to bigplay41*
Quote:
IF Selanne decided to come back to Winnipeg, he would be a guy I would put my trust in to help a guy like Zherdev IF Noel and management felt comfortable with him and IF Zherdev appears committed. He may be if he is reaching out to Winnipeg here and he obviously likes Claude Noel. I understand that no other teams in the league may be interested in Zherdev, and rightfully so. Perhaps this is why he is reaching out. With that being said, Winnipeg is going to be a huge, huge spotlight, so for a player to come with his baggage, and he knows he's got it, he's got to be ready for it... perhaps he is?

I am no sucker for players with the talent but the lack of effort and drive to use it, thus why I cannot stand players like Alexei Kovalev. However, this *may* be a recipe for success if the chips fall into place here.

- In 2007-2008, Claude Noel was asst. coach in Columbus, his first year there and Zherdev's final year there. That season Zherdev scored 26 goals and 61 points. There will be a familiarity there between Zherdev and Noel. Going by this rumor, it appears Zherdev is quite comfortable with Claude Noel, which could be a good thing.

- IF Zherdev appears committed in his talks with management, and if (I can't stress the "if's" enough) management feel comfortable with this, I would be okay with it. This is a player who without question is at the end of the rope in terms of an NHL shelf life, step up, or step out.

- If Teemu Selanne decided to come back to Winnipeg, perhaps he could be an excellent mentor for not only our other young players, but a player such as Zherdev who has struggled to find common ground and form himself into the NHL'er many thought his talent would lead him to be.

Ladd - Little - Selanne
Kane - Burmistrov - Wheeler
Zherdev - Antropov - Fehr
Glass - Slater - Thorburn
Rypien

Enstrom - Byfuglien
Hainsey - Bogosian
Stuart - Oduya
Jones

Pavelec
Mason

That's not too shabby, in my opinion. No reason this group couldn't contend for a playoff spot and hold one of the leagues top PP's. I would personally be extremely excited if this was our line-up heading into the season.
thats a dream lineup for the start of this year, to bad that wont happen

bigplay41* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 10:34 AM
puck stoppa

great top three lines, that's for sure!

puck stoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 10:39 AM
astrobuck

He was almost a Thrasher back in 2009, I think. For whatever reason (I want to say that D-Wad chose to go with Max Afenigenov instead), that fell through and he wound up playing in the KHL.
I seem to remember the rumor back then was the Thrashers were trying to bring in all types of Russians to try to make Kovy happy enough to resign.

astrobuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 10:46 AM
wpgyotes
Bye Bryz

There's no chance Selanne signs here and Zherdev is a headcase. That lineup looks good on paper, but I just don't see it happening. IF Teemu comes back at all, he's going to stay at home in sunny California.

wpgyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 10:50 AM
ChocolateLeclaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgyotes View Post
There's no chance Selanne signs here and Zherdev is a headcase. That lineup looks good on paper, but I just don't see it happening. IF Teemu comes back at all, he's going to stay at home in sunny California.
No chance eh? According to Teemu himself, it's 30%.

ChocolateLeclaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 10:52 AM
WJG
Running and Rioting

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateLeclaire View Post
No chance eh? According to Teemu himself, it's 30%.
Do you have a link?

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 11:03 AM
Winnipeg Jet
Phoenix Coyote

If Teemu Selanne signs with the Winnipeg Jets, he will attain godhood in Winnipeg. Right now, he’s only royalty. The man is pure class, and if he said that there was a 30% chance he would sign with the Jets, then he is legitimately considering uprooting his family for one (or more, given his Cheliosian health) season(s), to play in Winnipeg. He would be a marketing machine, and his number 8 (or 13 if he allows Burmistrov to keep it) would easily be the highest selling sweater on the team, and I wouldn’t be shocked if he were to give Crosby’s number 87 a run for its money, at least for a single season.

Nikolay Zherdev, when fit, should be a 50 to 60 point player. The talent is there, no question about that. But he has developed a reputation, most would say well earned, for being a prima donna, a player who gets by on god given talent rather than workmanship and dedication. He has decent size at 6’2”, 203 lb. He’s still quite young, only 26. However, in arbitration he was awarded with a 3.9 million, one year contract in 2009. The New York Rangers chose to walk away, allowing him to become an unrestricted free agent. He played in Russia that year, before coming back to play for Philly last year, by far his worst year in the league. Though he did manage sixteen goals, and was on pace for 23, his 6 assists was far, far too low. Had he played the full season, he was on pace to get a measly 32 points.

With players like Andrew Ladd, Dustin Byfuglien, Tobias Enstrom, and potentially Teemu Selanne, as well as Claude Noel, a man who coached (assistant) him in Columbus during the 2007-08 season, Nikolay’s finest as far as offensive output. He not only played in all 82 games that year, but he was one away from a career high in goals (26), and had a career high in assists (35), collecting 61 points. One would think that the familiarity of Noel would be a bonus, playing in a hockey market might appeal to him.

In New York and Philadelphia, few if anyone outside of the rink would recognise you. In Winnipeg, guys like Derek Meech and Car Klingberg will probably be recognised. It’s a different kind of environment, and perhaps, one that appeals to Nikolay. As others have said, there are a number of ifs. But with a few yeses, I think he could be an interesting pickup. There’s no reason to pick up a project so long as you think there’s a reasonable chance of success. If they do and he becomes a problem, I would expect him to be buried in the AHL, and perhaps be benched there as well should he prove a problem to the development of the team.

Winnipeg Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 11:07 AM
WJG
Running and Rioting

Claude Noel seems to be able to get the best out of Russian players.

As mentioned, Zherdev's best season (26 goals, 61 points) was under Noel when he was in Columbus.

Even last year, when Noel had Hodgson, Schroeder and Shirokov playing as rookies for the Moose, Hodgson and Schroeder only had ~30 points each while Shirokov lead the team with 22 goals and 58 points.

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 11:08 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipeg Jet View Post
In New York and Philadelphia, few if anyone outside of the rink would recognise you. In Winnipeg, guys like Derek Meech and Car Klingberg will probably be recognised. It’s a different kind of environment, and perhaps, one that appeals to Nikolay. As others have said, there are a number of ifs. But with a few yeses, I think he could be an interesting pickup. There’s no reason to pick up a project so long as you think there’s a reasonable chance of success. If they do and he becomes a problem, I would expect him to be buried in the AHL, and perhaps be benched there as well should he prove a problem to the development of the team.
That couldn't be more untrue, in my opinion.

Old
07-25-2011, 11:15 AM
Winnipeg Jet
Phoenix Coyote

Quote:
That couldn't be more untrue, in my opinion.
New York is a city of 19 million, Philadelphia 6, how many of them watch hockey, and how many of them watch hockey enough that they'd be able to recognise any random Ranger or Flyer walking down the street? One of the reasons Brad Richards chose New York over Toronto, besides the structure of the contract, was that he could disappear into the crowd in New York.

Winnipeg Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 11:18 AM
King Woodballs
**** HFJets

vCash: 375
still a no thanks

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 11:19 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipeg Jet View Post
New York is a city of 19 million, Philadelphia 6, how many of them watch hockey, and how many of them watch hockey enough that they'd be able to recognise any random Ranger or Flyer walking down the street? One of the reasons Brad Richards chose New York over Toronto, besides the structure of the contract, was that he could disappear into the crowd in New York.
I still disagree, because those markets are both gigantic in terms of NHL markets and the spotlight is huge. I'd say those fans know their players faces. I get what you're saying with Winnipeg being a smaller market population wise, therefore perhaps easier to recognize individuals, but Philly and New York, even with their populations, are huge, huge hockey markets.

Not trying to argue with you, it's just what I think.

Last edited by Guerzy: 07-25-2011 at 11:26 AM.
Old
07-25-2011, 11:30 AM
jimsabo21

Would be amazing if Winnipeg signed him ... he is the BEST free agent remaining and at least has potential to be a top offensive producer in this league:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeEdhGS5cgo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UQ8UjxdmoE

Want me to go through a list of all current Winnipeg Jets that have bounced around from team to team? Then I will await your in depth psycho-analysis of why they weren't a fit in their previous organizations.

jimsabo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 11:33 AM
LTZ

I'm curious how a 60 point/season player gets to be a prima donna? He's clearly not on the same level as the NHL elite. If he does sign here, hopefully he's been given a reality check about his status in the league...a good player, but not a must have for any team.

That being said, if he were looking only for a payday, he would have better luck in the KHL I think.

If he's actually wanting to play in the NHL, maybe there's more to him.

LTZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 11:38 AM
jimsabo21

Quote:
Originally Posted by piddy View Post
I'm curious how a 60 point/season player gets to be a prima donna? He's clearly not on the same level as the NHL elite. If he does sign here, hopefully he's been given a reality check about his status in the league...a good player, but not a must have for any team.

That being said, if he were looking only for a payday, he would have better luck in the KHL I think.

That's because he's NOT a prima-donna. It's been well documented that Zherdev suffers from "chronic shyness" which makes him very quiet around his teamates, coaching staff and media. That does not make him a diva ... and only fans have called him a diva, never anyone from inside the organization ... he's just very, very, very quiet.

jimsabo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 11:51 AM
EHCler

Quote:
Originally Posted by piddy View Post

Exactly. He actually played for Philly last year for less money that he would have earned in the KHL. Considering his playing time and line mates his goal total last season was actually quite good.

Sure he is has his issues, otherwise he would not be available. If you have a fellow Russian who is established in the team and looks after him I think he can be good player.

EHCler is offline   Reply With Quote