HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Zherdev signs with KHL's Atlant Mytishchi (updated Aug 3)

Old
07-25-2011, 12:17 PM
piddy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EHCler View Post
Exactly. He actually played for Philly last year for less money that he would have earned in the KHL. Considering his playing time and line mates his goal total last season was actually quite good.

Sure he is has his issues, otherwise he would not be available. If you have a fellow Russian who is established in the team and looks after him I think he can be good player.
The question then becomes, are the Jets willing to coddle him? Is his potential worth that investment, or would he be more of a headache?

I like his numbers and if the price is right I'd be alright with the Jets taking a gamble on him with a short term contract.

piddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 12:38 PM
tbcwpg

I think that the Jets could benefit from Zherdev, but at the same time keep him on a very short leash. Tell his agent "We're your only option right now to stay in the NHL, we'll give a one year contract and see how he works out." If it doesn't the risk is low,

tbcwpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 12:49 PM
EKaneTakesLives
Lurker since '05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Running Riot View Post
Do you have a link?
yes, id also like to see a link

EKaneTakesLives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 12:56 PM
KingJet*
Welcome Back

GOD NO!!! He wasn't made for the NHL, but he is good though.

Hes just good on bigger ice, thats why he was good in the KHL year before Philly.

KingJet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 01:06 PM
jimsabo21

Quote:
Originally Posted by EKaneTakesLives View Post
yes, id also like to see a link
From a moderator on Page 1:

http://www.sport.ru/ru/news/20110725...article174444/

If you don't know Russian, use Google Translate ... essentially, it says Zherdev is working on deal with Jets, if they can't agree to terms, he'd be open to the KHL

jimsabo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 01:14 PM
dkehler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimsabo21 View Post
From a moderator on Page 1:

http://www.sport.ru/ru/news/20110725...article174444/

If you don't know Russian, use Google Translate ... essentially, it says Zherdev is working on deal with Jets, if they can't agree to terms, he'd be open to the KHL
Hey, Jim, interesting insight from you about his extreme shyness. With that in mind, how do you think he would get along under the microscope in Winnipeg?

dkehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 01:18 PM
borno87

Quote:
Originally Posted by piddy View Post
The question then becomes, are the Jets willing to coddle him? Is his potential worth that investment, or would he be more of a headache?

I like his numbers and if the price is right I'd be alright with the Jets taking a gamble on him with a short term contract.
Obviously Chevy has said that this team will put a premium on character, but I think everyone here is taking that statement a little bit overboard.

Zherdev is not a "bad character" guy in the sense that he would be poisonous to the team. He's just an extremely talented forward who hasn't lived up to expectations, for whatever the reason. Zherdev isn't calling out teammates, partying excessively or partaking in foolish behavior on the ice (think Sean Avery, Trevor Gilles type behavior). Sure maybe Zherdev hasn't had the most consistent performance or effort in his career thus far, however signing him isn't going to submarine the whole team.

I would argue that the emphasis on character in building this team is specifically designed to benefit the "Zherdevs" floating around the league. Surround a gifted player like Zherdev with hard working, "buy-in" type of guys, in a red-hot hocket market and perhaps the environment the "Zherdevs" walk into will foster an improved performance, as opposed to that one guy taking the whole team down due to their "bad character".

It's difficult to put together an NHL quality roster, and there is always going to be a couple guys on every roster that you aren't totally sold on, that management may be rolling the dice a little bit with. IMO, Zherdev is the perfect fit for this team. He fills a glaring hole in the lineup (top 9 scoring from the wing) and his familiarity with Noel is a plus as well.

It's possible (though unlikely, but still possible) that he finds his touch and becomes a 30 goal scorer for this team, and having finally found success in this environment, ends up signing long term and becomes a reliable scoring option for years to come. Conversely, maybe he remains a 25-30 point player and he walks next year.

Let's face it, no matter how the team performs this year it is going to be an exciting and successful year for the fans. The Jets will be in tough to qualify for the playoffs in 11/12, so signing Zherdev to a 1-year deal is a low risk, high reward type of transaction that could pay dividends for years. Signing him despite his so called "character" issues is not going to result in an Armageddon scenario for the team. I just don't see much of a downside to trying him out, especially considering the circumstances he would be walking into (the euphoria of the return of NHL hockey to Winnipeg).

borno87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 01:23 PM
Guerzy
ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ ︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by borno87 View Post
Obviously Chevy has said that this team will put a premium on character, but I think everyone here is taking that statement a little bit overboard.

Zherdev is not a "bad character" guy in the sense that he would be poisonous to the team. He's just an extremely talented forward who hasn't lived up to expectations, for whatever the reason. Zherdev isn't calling out teammates, partying excessively or partaking in foolish behavior on the ice (think Sean Avery, Trevor Gilles type behavior). Sure maybe Zherdev hasn't had the most consistent performance or effort in his career thus far, however signing him isn't going to submarine the whole team.

I would argue that the emphasis on character in building this team is specifically designed to benefit the "Zherdevs" floating around the league. Surround a gifted player like Zherdev with hard working, "buy-in" type of guys, in a red-hot hocket market and perhaps the environment the "Zherdevs" walk into will foster an improved performance, as opposed to that one guy taking the whole team down due to their "bad character".

It's difficult to put together an NHL quality roster, and there is always going to be a couple guys on every roster that you aren't totally sold on, that management may be rolling the dice a little bit with. IMO, Zherdev is the perfect fit for this team. He fills a glaring hole in the lineup (top 9 scoring from the wing) and his familiarity with Noel is a plus as well.

It's possible (though unlikely, but still possible) that he finds his touch and becomes a 30 goal scorer for this team, and having finally found success in this environment, ends up signing long term and becomes a reliable scoring option for years to come. Conversely, maybe he remains a 25-30 point player and he walks next year.

Let's face it, no matter how the team performs this year it is going to be an exciting and successful year for the fans. The Jets will be in tough to qualify for the playoffs in 11/12, so signing Zherdev to a 1-year deal is a low risk, high reward type of transaction that could pay dividends for years. Signing him despite his so called "character" issues is not going to result in an Armageddon scenario for the team. I just don't see much of a downside to trying him out, especially considering the circumstances he would be walking into (the euphoria of the return of NHL hockey to Winnipeg).
Hell of a post. Certainly agree, very well said, borno.

Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 01:26 PM
Winnipeg Jet
Phoenix Coyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
I still disagree, because those markets are both gigantic in terms of NHL markets and the spotlight is huge. I'd say those fans know their players faces. I get what you're saying with Winnipeg being a smaller market population wise, therefore perhaps easier to recognize individuals, but Philly and New York, even with their populations, are huge, huge hockey markets.

Not trying to argue with you, it's just what I think.
Yeah, I probably could have put it better. Yes, there are hockey fans in New York and Philadelphia. Yes, there are more hockey fans in terms of total number in both cities. However, the percentage of the population that follow hockey is smaller when compared to Winnipeg, especially in a Return to Winnipeg situation. I would imagine even people who don’t care about hockey will be paying attention to the Jets in Winnipeg this year. It essentially boils down to when walking down the street in Winnipeg and Toronto, I would bet that a guy like Brad Richards would have a better chance of being recognised than were he walking down the street in New York or Philadelphia. That was all I meant to say. Some players thrive in that kind of celebrity, others shy away from it.

Winnipeg Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 01:28 PM
jimsabo21

Quote:

Great post!

Old
07-25-2011, 01:29 PM
DinoNeils

Quote:

Well said.

Anybody know what is the sittuation with the domestic dispute sittuation?? I hear there a re conflicting reports.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...urn=nhl-wp5227

DinoNeils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 01:34 PM
Jet
Drop the danged puck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateLeclaire View Post
No chance eh? According to Teemu himself, it's 30%.
We still need to see some kind of link to back that up.

I know some think I am being a bit too much of a stickler for links or supporting evidence, but this place needs to be somewhere where people can get solid information on the team and if we start allowing people to just throw things out like this, it quickly gets out of control.

So, link please.

07-25-2011, 01:36 PM
jimsabo21

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkehler View Post
Hey, Jim, interesting insight from you about his extreme shyness. With that in mind, how do you think he would get along under the microscope in Winnipeg?
Well, I don't know ... and I'll be the first to admit I am biased when it comes to skilled players (I have a wall filled with game used Zhamnov paraphanalia (sp?)).

Take this for what it's worth on his "chronic shyness": In an interview with a former coach, it was said that when Zherdev arrived in Philly, he didn't know his away around the city. He couldn't even build up the courage to ask a teamate for rides to and from practice, so he arranged a car service to have him dropped off and picked up. I think after this was noticed, a teamate approached him and offered to help ... a small example, but he's just a very, very shy person ...

Not everybody is "one of the boys" and wants to have beers while watching strippers on the road. This does not make you a bad teamate ... some guys actually prefer to go back to their hotel rooms and read. They call that "aloof" in hockey circles, but it certainly isn't cancerous to a dressing room.

Old
07-25-2011, 01:36 PM
Jet
Drop the danged puck

The way I am looking at this is, if the Jets actually sign Zherdev, I will be 100% behind this BECAUSE of the Jets policy of signing character players. With Noel's intimate knowledge of Nik, I am confident they have done their due diligence and feel like he can be a meaningful contributor to the team.

Besides, I think a guy like Zherdev can provide enough scoring punch to push us into the playoffs.

Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 01:44 PM
Winnipeg Jet
Phoenix Coyote

I also liked the post by borno87, but I won't quote him as he's been quoted quite a few times already.

Winnipeg Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 01:52 PM
Jet Bomber
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Great post by Borno. I'd take Zherdev if Noel can control him.

Last edited by Guerzy: 07-25-2011 at 02:00 PM. Reason: Let's stay on topic.
Jet Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 01:55 PM
wpgyotes
Bye Bryz

He's a liability defensively and isn't suited to a bottom 6 role. Who does he bump from the top two lines? Fehr? He doesn't create a whole lot himself and isn't going to make his linemates better, so it'd be too great a risk to sign him only to have him play limited minutes on a checking line and then be stapled to the bench in the third period when defending a lead.

Any Flyers fans want to comment on his play last season?

wpgyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 02:01 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

If Noel is pushing to get Zherdev, I fully support it.

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 02:17 PM
puck stoppa

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgyotes View Post
He's a liability defensively and isn't suited to a bottom 6 role. Who does he bump from the top two lines? Fehr? He doesn't create a whole lot himself and isn't going to make his linemates better, so it'd be too great a risk to sign him only to have him play limited minutes on a checking line and then be stapled to the bench in the third period when defending a lead.

Any Flyers fans want to comment on his play last season?
He was +5 and 6 his last two NHL seasons. Fehr may not be healthy enough to start the year so give this guy a shot, one year deal is little risk. Im sure Noel would know him better than any of us.

puck stoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 02:21 PM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgyotes View Post
He's a liability defensively and isn't suited to a bottom 6 role.
He may not be suited for a bottom 6 role, but he's not a defensive liability either. When he's motivated, Zherdev can backcheck like a demon with his tremendous speed.

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 02:26 PM
DinoNeils

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet228 View Post
We still need to see some kind of link to back that up.

I know some think I am being a bit too much of a stickler for links or supporting evidence, but this place needs to be somewhere where people can get solid information on the team and if we start allowing people to just throw things out like this, it quickly gets out of control.

So, link please.
I for one appreciate your stickleriness..... Wait, is that even a word????

I come here for facts and to have well rounded discussions. I think our MODs have done great work.

Sorry for going off topic.

Old
07-25-2011, 02:33 PM
Hobble

Would be nice to add more skill to the line-up, however he doesn't really have the 'character' that TNSE has sought after so far...

Hobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 02:47 PM
DinoNeils

To be honest, I don't think you can properly assess what Zherdev brings to the table based on last season. The guy had a shooting % of 11.9, very respectable IMO, which was on par with Richards and JVR, and better than Carter. The Flyers had seven 20 goal scorers ( I am including Leino with his 19); Zherdev more than likely wasn't given as many opportunites as others who have more history with the oganisation. And, based on the rumours on the Richards trade, their where quite a few alpha male personalities in the Flyers dressing room. If Zherdev has shyness issues, as previously implied, I could see why he was uncomfortable with this team. Only adding to his discomfort, Zherdev only averaged 12:51 in ice time; pretty tough to get into your comfort zone when you can't get on the ice for even a quarter of the game.

As far as Zherdev being a liability on D, I'm not so sure. Sure he had a terrible +/- with Columbus; that is to be expected, Columbus was terrible. When Zherdev played with stronger, and more responsible teams, he had a respectable +6 (NYR) and +5 (PHI).

I have notorioulsy devalued Zherdev on every thread on HFBoards; now that I am looking at him as a potential member of my team, I have finally started looking at the facts.

Zherdev is a good gamble.

Old
07-25-2011, 03:04 PM
UkraineTrain

He's not cancer for sure. He's really shy guy with very bad English. But if Noel will let him play top 6 minutes with PP minutes he will be 60 points guy for your team. Sign him on 1 year deal around $2M and it will be low risk high reward.

UkraineTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 03:08 PM
Blue Dot
F0rsbergFan21

he is just too skilled not to take a chance on. at 26-27 years old he could be entering his peak years and if mentally he has flipped the switch to be more hungry then you get yourself a pure top 6 talent with 1st line potential.

if he can't bring it every night and he just can't hang with the physical element of the NHL so be it, not a huge gamble and one i'd gladly take.

Blue Dot is offline   Reply With Quote