HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Zherdev signs with KHL's Atlant Mytishchi (updated Aug 3)

Old
07-27-2011, 11:34 AM
piddy

vCash: 500
Has this info been reported by any media here or only from the OP's Russian news link? Just curious.

piddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 11:45 AM
Guerzy
Serenity

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by piddy View Post
Has this info been reported by any media here or only from the OP's Russian news link? Just curious.
It was noted in the Winnipeg Sun, for whatever that may be worth. Basically just a mention of it in the article in regards to signing Ivan Telegin.

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2011/07/2...russian-centre

Quote:
Meanwhile, a Russian news organization is reporting that winger Nikolai Zherdev wants to play for the Jets. The 26-year-old winger has 261 points in 421 NHL games for Columbus, New York Rangers and Philadelphia Flyers.

Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 12:02 PM
DinoNeils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
It was noted in the Winnipeg Sun, for whatever that may be worth. Basically just a mention of it in the article in regards to signing Ivan Telegin.

If Zherdev to Winnipeg is legit, I'm not suprised at all that there has been little chatter on this side of the pond. TNSE has been tight lipped about everything.

DinoNeils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 12:04 PM
Winnipeg Jet
Phoenix Coyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoNeils View Post
If Zherdev to Winnipeg is legit, I'm not suprised at all that there has been little chatter on this side of the pond. TNSE has been tight lipped about everything.
TNSE come across as tight lipped about everything even when you put them next to a deaf, blind, mute.

Winnipeg Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 12:07 PM
untouchable21
You've been TROUBA'D

I honestly have no interest in the team signing Zherdev. Just not a fan.

Now if they sign him for one year relatively cheap, it may be a worthwhile risk. I will withhold judgement until I see what, if anything he can bring to the table.

untouchable21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 01:06 PM
Jet
Stand by your man

vCash: 50
This is exactly the way most enigmatic skilled players are received by fans. I bet a guy like Alex Zhamnov would have been treated the same way. He, Igor Korolev and Evgeny Davydov fit Zherdev's MO to varying degrees, and I loved them all as Jets.

The more I think about it, the more I want this to happen.

07-27-2011, 01:32 PM
PensFan6687

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet228 View Post
This is exactly the way most enigmatic skilled players are received by fans. I bet a guy like Alex Zhamnov would have been treated the same way. He, Igor Korolev and Evgeny Davydov fit Zherdev's MO to varying degrees, and I loved them all as Jets.

The more I think about it, the more I want this to happen.
Not I. I read a lot into what history says. I have more patience than the next guy, but after losing his place with Columbus, the Rangers, the Flyers, not having anyone sign him in the Summer of 2009 in the span of 4 years--- all of these things worry me. It seems to be the same old that fans are optimistic come this time of year, but by the half-way point they want his removal from the team. Me thinks there is something to this.

I just don't see it working out. That and jet228 wants him so he can't be that good.

(( (_l_) ))

PensFan6687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 01:44 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

Quote:

I think the translation is off.

We have interest in signing Zherdev, not Zherdev having interest in playing for us.

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 01:45 PM
Guerzy
Serenity

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Running Riot View Post

We have interest in signing Zherdev, not Zherdev having interest in playing for us.
Ya, either or, with Noel and Zherdev having a previous relationship, I think this rumor could have legs.

Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 01:55 PM
PensFan6687

Quote:
Ya, either or, with Noel and Zherdev having a previous relationship, I think this rumor could have legs.
Would you say they are top 10 model sexy legs or stumpy Ugly Betty like legs?

Old
07-27-2011, 02:00 PM
vera1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by Running Riot View Post

Here is almost literal translation of this piece of the interview:

- They say that one of your options in NHL is Winnipeg. This city is considered one of the least attractive ones – it's too cold there...

- One always consideres which city to play in. Still, this is not the most important thing. If I am offered a good contract, I don't mind going to Winnipeg. Recently I spoke with Zhamnov, who used to play there. He said it's a lot of snow there, and cold. But this is OK, I am not from Africa either.

vera1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 02:10 PM
DinoNeils

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFan6687 View Post
Not I. I read a lot into what history says. I have more patience than the next guy, but after losing his place with Columbus, the Rangers, the Flyers, not having anyone sign him in the Summer of 2009 in the span of 4 years--- all of these things worry me. It seems to be the same old that fans are optimistic come this time of year, but by the half-way point they want his removal from the team. Me thinks there is something to this.

I just don't see it working out. That and jet228 wants him so he can't be that good.

(( (_l_) ))

I believe the reputation that Zherdev has is well earned; however, in Columbus he was a bad match for the Hitchcock style. In NY, he led them in scoring and had a respectable +/-; NY just felt his arbitration award was too much. Personally, I bet if Redden and Drury weren't on the books, Zherdev would still be there. Philly was just a bad fit.

But, like I said, Zherdev didn't do anything to change his rep either.

Old
07-27-2011, 02:20 PM
vera1964

Quote:
In NY, he led them in scoring and had a respectable +/-; NY just felt his arbitration award was too much. Personally, I bet if Redden and Drury weren't on the books, Zherdev would still be there.
Not just that -- it didn't work out well for him and Tortorella. Tortorella tried to discipline him (for whatever reason), and Z became frustrated and stopped trying. He changed this quite a bit in Philadelphia, where he always responded well to benching, coming up with a much stronger game, but unfortunately this was not enough for Laviolette.

I think, Z's biggest issue is that he wants to play certain kind of hockey, and if the system doesn't allow for it, he becomes frustrated, and here is where lack of effort is coming from.

vera1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 02:29 PM
DinoNeils

Quote:
Originally Posted by vera1964 View Post
Not just that -- it didn't work out well for him and Tortorella. Tortorella tried to discipline him (for whatever reason), and Z became frustrated and stopped trying. He changed this quite a bit in Philadelphia, where he always responded well to benching, coming up with a much stronger game, but unfortunately this was not enough for Laviolette.

I think, Z's biggest issue is that he wants to play certain kind of hockey, and if the system doesn't allow for it, he becomes frustrated, and here is where lack of effort is coming from.
I think you are bang on with that assessment.

Phili also had so many top six guys that they were more invested in; it was tough for Zherdev to find a spot.

But, like I was saying; Zherdev needs to man up, take responsibility and find a way to help his team regardless of his role. He is a big strong man; no reason why he can't mix it up and battle in a third line role.

Old
07-27-2011, 02:52 PM
jimsabo21

Quote:

(( (_l_) ))
Not to be argumentative, but with this logic, you can say Carolina and Chicago also "gave up" on Andrew Ladd, which is why he is now in Winnipeg ... both Ladd and Zherdev are the same age ... I know all the reasons why the circumstances are different, but I'm just saying that after the Cup victory by Chicago, they had to prioritize who to re-sign, and who to let go, and they obviously made the decision that Ladd wasn't in their future plans.

I can send you a VERY LONG LIST of NHL players that have bounced around from team to team and ended up with great careers.

jimsabo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 03:03 PM
KingSalamon

Zherdev is the source of the 'Dry Island' leak! That's what got him removed from Philly.

lol Just kidding.

It seems like a possible fit for Winnipeg to try to get him to play here... after all he's not from Africa. (That has to be my favorite quote in quite some time!! LOL) One or two year deal in the 1.75 per season range would be ok with me. I think this would be better than the Islanders throwing $4+ to Yashin (I just through the $$ amount out there... no sources or anything on the number).

KingSalamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 04:03 PM
PensFan6687

Quote:
I believe the reputation that Zherdev has is well earned; however, in Columbus he was a bad match for the Hitchcock style. In NY, he led them in scoring and had a respectable +/-; NY just felt his arbitration award was too much. Personally, I bet if Redden and Drury weren't on the books, Zherdev would still be there. Philly was just a bad fit.

But, like I said, Zherdev didn't do anything to change his rep either.
True his arbitration award was too much and that definitely hurt him, but is also a testament to what teams valued him then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimsabo21 View Post
Not to be argumentative, but with this logic, you can say Carolina and Chicago also "gave up" on Andrew Ladd, which is why he is now in Winnipeg ... both Ladd and Zherdev are the same age ... I know all the reasons why the circumstances are different, but I'm just saying that after the Cup victory by Chicago, they had to prioritize who to re-sign, and who to let go, and they obviously made the decision that Ladd wasn't in their future plans.

I can send you a VERY LONG LIST of NHL players that have bounced around from team to team and ended up with great careers.
Ladd is a much different case than Zherdev. He plays with hard work, conviction, and determination. He shows up in big games and produces no matter where he goes.

I can also give you a list of guys who have bounced around the league and had good careers but Zherdev isn't there yet, and may never be there. A guy who had a great career as you would put it. I just don't like the player. Nothing you say will change that. This is my opinion.

Old
07-27-2011, 04:49 PM
jimsabo21

Quote:
Ladd is a much different case than Zherdev. He plays with hard work, conviction, and determination. He shows up in big games and produces no matter where he goes.

I can also give you a list of guys who have bounced around the league and had good careers but Zherdev isn't there yet, and may never be there. A guy who had a great career as you would put it. I just don't like the player. Nothing you say will change that. This is my opinion.
And vice versa. Zherdev is actually one of my favorite players in the NHL (I know it's weird) ... always have him in my hockey pools, and he always disappoints me Every year I hope he will finally "break out" ... hopefully, this will be the year, and for my beloved Winnipeg Jets ...

My guess: If he ever signs with Winnipeg, he'll be a polorizing figure. Like Zhamnov in the 90's, for every guy that liked him, you had someone who hated his game ... such is life in the NHL when you're not a physical player ... good news is there is room on teams for all types of players, so everyone gets to see an ingredient of hockey they enjoy. Myself, I much prefer the ultra skilled guys to a big hit or a fight. Some loved Tie Domi, I wasn't a fan ... but I respect that you need grit in the line-up to win hockey games. To each their own I guess

Last edited by jimsabo21: 07-27-2011 at 04:55 PM.
jimsabo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 06:34 PM
MAROONSRoad
f/k/a Ghost

Zherdev has loads of talent and skill -- skating, passing, shooting, puck handling, dangling, etc. It is somewhat of a mystery why he hasn't been more successful in the NHL to date as he has an elite skill set -- would be one of the most skilled Jets player if signed. On top of that he does not shy away from the rough stuff. Any defensive liabilities can be taught/developed by a player which such abilities.

For a team that could use some offensive skill, I can't see much downside to signing him to a reasonable contract -- nothing ventured, nothing gained. And Zherdev is still a young player.

Watch this:

MAROONSRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 06:58 PM
piddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAROONSRoad View Post
Zherdev has loads of talent and skill -- skating, passing, shooting, puck handling, dangling, etc. It is somewhat of a mystery why he hasn't been more successful in the NHL to date as he has an elite skill set -- would be one of the most skilled Jets player if signed. On top of that he does not shy away from the rough stuff. Any defensive liabilities can be taught/developed by a player which such abilities.

For a team that could use some offensive skill, I can't see much downside to signing him to a reasonable contract -- nothing ventured, nothing gained. And Zherdev is still a young player.

Watch this:

Thanks for the video. He certainly has skill.

However, if he has all this skill and hasn't developed into a superstar does it not point directly at the effort he puts forth.

Antropov has loads of skill himself. As a Leafs fan, I watched quite a bit of him. He was (and I presume will be) so frustrating because some nights he was out there pleasure skating.

Another name that comes to mind is Yashin. Tons of skill but no "heart". Got his money and put the cruise control on.

I'd be thrilled if I got see Zherdev scoring those highlight reel goals in a Jets uniform.

I'd be frustrated out of mind if all he was doing was skating figure 8's because he didn't feel like playing that night.

If he plays hard and for decent money I'd be good with it. Short term contract.

piddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 07:06 PM
PensFan6687

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAROONSRoad View Post

Watch this:

All the skillset and talent can be there, but if the heart, work ethic and head isn't there, he won't be getting the production you expect from that talent. Hockey IQ has a lot to do with it.

Old
07-27-2011, 07:28 PM
Jet
Stand by your man

You need to back up some of these accusations about Zherdev (e.g. Horton stuff, him being arrogant, etc.) or retract them.

From what I've heard from others, the player is just very shy and that can come off as stand offish.

I hate when wild rumors and hearsay about players become an internet meme. So I would like to see some articles or proof that what you say about Zherdev is true.

Last edited by Jet: 07-27-2011 at 07:42 PM. Reason: quoted deleted post.
Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 07:37 PM
PensFan6687

Quote:
You need to back up some of these accusations about Zherdev (e.g. Horton stuff, him being arrogant, etc.) or retract them.

From what I've heard from others, the player is just very shy and that can come off as stand offish.

I hate when wild rumors and hearsay about players become an internet meme. So I would like to see some articles or proof that what you say about Zherdev is true.
That will be hard as I am going on memory [MOD]. Anyway, I'll send it to you if I can find it.

Either way that is my history and memory of the player. At the end of the day you don't have to believe it. I don't lie or make up stuff. Anyone who knows me knows this to be fact. I don't like Z.

Last edited by Hank Chinaski: 07-28-2011 at 12:52 PM. Reason: uneccessary...
Old
07-27-2011, 07:40 PM
Jet
Stand by your man

Quote:
That will be hard as I am going on memory and I have one like a woman. Anyway, I'll send it to you if I can find it.
Ok, so lets just delete your post altogether.

This isn't venom directed solely at you PensFan, but people thing the anonymity of an internet board gives them carte blanche to talk smack about players/ coaches/ owners, etc.

That will not fly here. If you are going to attack someone's character, you had better be ready to back it up. That goes for everyone. I've seen players go from hero to zero just because of baseless bull that people are writing on these boards and get accepted by fact.

Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 07:42 PM
PensFan6687

Quote:
Ok, so lets just delete your post altogether.

This isn't venom directed solely at you PensFan, but people thing the anonymity of an internet board gives them carte blanche to talk smack about players/ coaches/ owners, etc.

That will not fly here. If you are going to attack someone's character, you had better be ready to back it up. That goes for everyone. I've seen players go from hero to zero just because of baseless bull that people are writing on these boards and get accepted by fact.
Fine, delete it. I do not lie. Perhaps the information I took in was incorrect at the time, but I am not one to fabricate stories. I only pull stuff from my memory. I am sure you can find something if you look hard enough, but delete away. Not going to change things.