HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is It Fear & Loathing On Long Island - August 1st Vote and Endorsement

Old
07-25-2011, 11:13 AM
B.D. Gallof
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Is It Fear & Loathing On Long Island - August 1st Vote and Endorsement

please give it a read and get word out to Nassau County residents of the reality vs the bullcrap being piled on by opponents.

IS IT FEAR & LOATHING ON LONG ISLAND?
BD on the August 1st Vote and Endorsement

Long Island is a strange bird. Sometimes you can love its lazy obtuseness and almost neurotic aspects like some crazy uncle who visits your house each family event. Other times it is a constant barrage of morons and idiosyncrasy that hammers one head like a thousand woodpeckers on speed...

http://hockeyindependent.com/blog/bdgallof/37188/

B.D. Gallof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 11:21 AM
scott99

No offense to Long Islanders, for I am one of them, but most Long Islanders, who are not Islander's fans, are dumb enough to vote no. I have no faith in the passing. It really is a shame.

scott99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 11:41 AM
BillD

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
No offense to Long Islanders, for I am one of them, but most Long Islanders, who are not Islander's fans, are dumb enough to vote no. I have no faith in the passing. It really is a shame.
I have to admit that there appears to be a high quotient of literate imbeciles on Long Island. I do not live there but it is shocking how many responses are so uninformed or are knee-jerk negative.
People are either naturally pessimistic or do not take even the slightest effort to discover the facts and details that could shed light on the issue.

BillD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 11:52 AM
Isles Junkie

Maybe I'm on a train going 5 different ways here, but it seems to me that Nassau voters are either

A) naive enough to believe that if the NYI leave, then the NVMC will just go on as is and the county won't lose much revenue B) There will be an 11th hour deal to keep the NYI here because why would the NYI leave this market (and this goes back to LIers having that NYC sports fan mentality that they're large market, when in fact they aren't) C) They don't even care about having a building to house events because NYC is so close. I guess these are the people who won't say they live in Nassau but they'll say "oh I'm 20 minutes outside the city."

The spiteful ******* in me kind of hopes this thing fails, the NYI quickly announce an agreement to move to Queens & all those dopes get saddled with a 200+ dollar increase in property taxes in a few years. I'll feel bad for the NYI fans who vote yes & I'll feel even worse for the non hockey fan who took the time to understand what this is all about & voted yes.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 12:06 PM
Dan-o16

I nominate the following for worst modified cliche in a rambling, overwrought essay.

"They have created a bouillabaisse of resentment from the Islanders fanbase."

I don't understand how a delicate fish, tomato, and wine stew served with croutons and shredded gruyere represents resentment. I do resent that it was taken of Le Barricou's menu. Seriously, who needed another restaurant that serves Moules Frite? Where can one get a good bouillabaisse in Brooklyn or Queens? It's the season for it, and I'm hungry.

In another news, how about that debt ceiling? (If there's no congressional deal by the weekend, the referendum won't pass. Gallof misses the forest for the trees, as always.)

Lala,

Dan-o

Dan-o16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 12:21 PM
stranger34

Great article

stranger34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 12:28 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goaljudge View Post
I have to admit that there appears to be a high quotient of literate imbeciles on Long Island. I do not live there but it is shocking how many responses are so uninformed or are knee-jerk negative.
People are either naturally pessimistic or do not take even the slightest effort to discover the facts and details that could shed light on the issue.
I am neither an imbecile nor am I uninformed. Pessimistic ? Quite possibly after reading every single article about how hard some people are fighting to make sure that this deal doesn't go through. Do I feel Islender's fans who live on the Island will vote yes ? Most of them will. Do I feel that non Islander's fans who live on the Island will vote yes, I doubt it, even if their taxes only go up $14, they will vote against it because they feel, "why do I have to pay ? when the owner is a billionaire, let him pay". This has come from the mouths of Long Islanders I know personally, who will be voting no. And I haven't only heard this once.

So yes, I've done some research, and have done a lot of reading on the subject. Most of it does not give me a warm fuzzy feeling about August 1st. I hope and pray I'm wrong.

scott99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 12:41 PM
OpAck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
Maybe I'm on a train going 5 different ways here, but it seems to me that Nassau voters are either

A) naive enough to believe that if the NYI leave, then the NVMC will just go on as is and the county won't lose much revenue B) There will be an 11th hour deal to keep the NYI here because why would the NYI leave this market (and this goes back to LIers having that NYC sports fan mentality that they're large market, when in fact they aren't) C) They don't even care about having a building to house events because NYC is so close. I guess these are the people who won't say they live in Nassau but they'll say "oh I'm 20 minutes outside the city."

The spiteful ******* in me kind of hopes this thing fails, the NYI quickly announce an agreement to move to Queens & all those dopes get saddled with a 200+ dollar increase in property taxes in a few years. I'll feel bad for the NYI fans who vote yes & I'll feel even worse for the non hockey fan who took the time to understand what this is all about & voted yes.
Yeah, I've kind of taken the spiteful stance also. It's easy for me since I'm well over 500 miles away and while remaining in the same spot they were when they were a dynasty is important, I can pretty easily stomach a move outside of Nassau County. Outside of the NY market is a totally different story, which I would have a hard time rooting for this team if they're in Kansas City or Quebec. But that's just me.

But I do think you are right...the ones who will vote no either think the Isles will ultimately stay and they'll find another way of paying for it or they think Nassau will be just fine if the Islanders leave. The first is a possibility, but I think in the way Wang abandoned the Lighthouse Project, he is very capable of completely killing any hope of keeping the Isles in Nassau County if it's voted down and will get serious about another site in the NY market. And if nothing comes to fruition there...only then do I think he'll look outside of NY. As for the second point, after all the Isles and developers have been through over the past 15 years...without the Isles, they'll have a hard time getting someone to tear down and build on that site. Not in this economy. Local businesses will suffer, those who lost their jobs at the Coliseum will suffer, and Nassau as a whole, will suffer. Then there's the issue with the existing rundown arena. Do (Can) they keep it open for the occasional show? If it closes, does it sit and fester for years or do they come up with the money to tear it down? Oughta make for a nice open concrete field of weeds and broken cement. Only then, will the same people complain about how their taxes went up, how they've got to drive past that rotting unoccupied mess daily, and listen to the debate on who's going to pay for it to come down. And ya wanna know whose fault it's gonna be when it gets that point? Wang and the Islanders for leaving. "Well, if that Charles Wang kept the Islanders here, we wouldn't be in the big mess...it's all they're fault." That's basically what you'll hear. It won't be their fault for voting no in August 2011, no...it's going to be all on the Isles.

OpAck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 12:51 PM
Bones45

Is it me, or does BD seem like he swallowed a thesauras and is looking to impress with how many big words he uses? Just exhausting to read, IMO.

I'm going to admit that there is a part of me which wants the vote to fail. Just for sheer entertainment value. Watch the finger pointing and arguing and speculation. I'll get the popcorn.

Here is the reality.

People on LI dont give a crap about the Coliseum and the Islanders.

The Isles aren't winning, and New Yorkers as a whole, don't care about teams who arent winning. Especially HOCKEY team which arent winning -- Hockey is barely a blip on the media's radar. Then you add another hockey team which is overpaid and another which is in Jersey and boring, then you really see why the Isles are a zero rating.

So if the Isles are gone -- to most people -- it doesnt matter.

What else is at the Coliseum? Concerts? Yeah.. MSG is a quick trainride away.. Same goes for Circus/car shows/etc...

The reason that its gotten to this point is b/c to the majority of Long Islanders, is that they just don't give a crap about what is going on there. Nassau County residents are taxed enough (stupid ******** just continue to stay there and pay it), and I don't blame them for finally putting their foot down. Just a shame that my Islanders are going to be the potential victims.

Is it THAT important to be that close to NYC that you can't spend an extra 20min on a train/car? You'd rather spend $16,000 in taxes than $4,500?

Either way, Im good with the results of this vote.

It passes? Isles are locked in, and remain where they belong. I continue to watch and enjoy this team (god help me), for the next 30+ years on LI.

It fails? the Isles potentially move, and me and my family are just one more step closer to leaving Long Island for good.

Bones45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 01:11 PM
Bauer Warrior*

[QUOTE=Bones45;35355241]Is it me, or does BD seem like he swallowed a thesauras and is looking to impress with how many big words he uses? Just exhausting to read, IMO.QUOTE]

No. It's not just you. It was so damn wordy that I tuned out after about a paragraph-and-a-half. You don't get through to people with big, convoluted words. Nor do I want to read a damn metaphoric riddle. Put things in plain words, that way no one can cry foul!

Bauer Warrior* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 03:07 PM
GutchBoring13

Send a message via AIM to GutchBoring13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o16 View Post
I nominate the following for worst modified cliche in a rambling, overwrought essay.

"They have created a bouillabaisse of resentment from the Islanders fanbase."

I don't understand how a delicate fish, tomato, and wine stew served with croutons and shredded gruyere represents resentment. I do resent that it was taken of Le Barricou's menu. Seriously, who needed another restaurant that serves Moules Frite? Where can one get a good bouillabaisse in Brooklyn or Queens? It's the season for it, and I'm hungry.

In another news, how about that debt ceiling? (If there's no congressional deal by the weekend, the referendum won't pass. Gallof misses the forest for the trees, as always.)

Lala,

Dan-o

Awesome.

GutchBoring13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 04:11 PM
PJGooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones45 View Post
People on LI dont give a crap about the Coliseum and the Islanders.
I agree with your overall sentiment but I think people DO care about the Coliseum, they just don't really know it yet, and most are uninformed and/or too short-sighted to see what's really at stake here.

In my opinion, a straightforward "Coliseum to close in 20XX if referendum fails" headline this week would open plenty of eyes and change a lot of people's minds.

PJGooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 04:59 PM
lorwood

Is it really that big a deal if the Islanders move to Suffolk or Queens? What if a move out of Nassau, but still in the NY market was actually beneficial by strengthening their revenue sources and fan base? I agree with the other posters if its Nassau then fine but if they end up in Queens or Suffolk all is good.

lorwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 05:06 PM
Law

Send a message via AIM to Law
People who are skeptical or voting 'no' are idiots, imbeciles, morons, etc? Really? This is the persuasive argument some are resorting to as the vote nears?

Are there not legitimate concerns to piling on another $800M in an already debt-strapped county? One that hasn't in my 33-years of existence proven that they deserve the benefit of the doubt when it comes to financial matters? So much so that an independent auditing agency has been brought in to oversee their finances.

Mind you, I'm about as die-hard as they come -- wasting an inordinate amount of time on GDT's, dropping money on the Center Ice package season-after-miserable-season, accepting an offer to help moderate a forum that I waste entirely too much time on -- you get the picture. But even with my orange/blue tinted glasses and a genuine hope that they stay put, it's hard for me to blindly justify this in my head. The "trust us, it makes sense" plea doesn't work for me when this type situation seems to have rarely worked elsewhere and the people proposing it don't exactly have a sparkling track record.

On the other hand, don't worry, I left LI for greener economic pastures years ago so I don't have a voice on August 1st.

Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 05:08 PM
Strome18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Law View Post
People who are skeptical or voting 'no' are idiots, imbeciles, morons, etc? Really? This is the persuasive argument some are resorting to as the vote nears?

Are there not legitimate concerns to piling on another $800M in an already debt-strapped county? One that hasn't in my 33-years of existence proven that they deserve the benefit of the doubt when it comes to financial matters? So much so that an independent auditing agency has been brought in to oversee their finances.

Mind you, I'm about as die-hard as they come -- wasting an inordinate amount of time on GDT's, dropping money on the Center Ice package season-after-miserable-season, accepting an offer to help moderate a forum that I waste entirely too much time on -- you get the picture. But even with my orange/blue tinted glasses and a genuine hope that they stay put, it's hard for me to blindly justify this in my head. The "trust us, it makes sense" plea doesn't work for me when this type situation seems to have rarely worked elsewhere and the people proposing it don't exactly have a sparkling track record.

On the other hand, don't worry, I left LI for greener economic pastures years ago so I don't have a voice on August 1st.

One correction, you meant SUNNIER pastures lol...our green pastures are a little burnt. I joined you from Jersey a few years ago as well!!!

Strome18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 06:57 PM
lorwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Law View Post

Thank You. I will add one thing. So many fans seem to equate this new arena with an instantly better on ice product. I would caution on this. The NY Islanders will acquire quite a bit of non negotiable debt (Just like the old SMG deal)with this agreement, especially if they are expected to get off the cap floor. And the attendance projections they have brought forth for over the next thirty years are ludicrous.

lorwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 08:34 PM
BelovedIsles

Send a message via AIM to BelovedIsles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones45 View Post
Is it me, or does BD seem like he swallowed a thesauras and is looking to impress with how many big words he uses? Just exhausting to read, IMO.

Speaking of exhausting, this whole arena shindig for the past 5 years has been just that.

BelovedIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 09:23 PM
B.D. Gallof
HFB Partner

i apologize on the readability. its how i crafted it in my head and ran with...no thesaurus. if its not your cup of tea, oh well. i haven't really changed my style much in 5 years, and probably won't change much next 5 either.

FYI: the more different fish that are included, the better the bouillabaisse.

B.D. Gallof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 11:24 PM
crashthenet

Islanders will most likely be in the area til the television contract runs out.

http://www.nytimes.com/1999/06/11/sp...es-misery.html

crashthenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 11:31 PM
BossyMVP
GO SABRES GO!

people will vote no because this county already ***** people of their money and people are tired of it. This deal is good for the county in the long term even if you dont go to the new arena but people are already paying 10k a year in taxes. They don't want to pay anymore. Now the fans will lose a team we love because of it. So sad.

BossyMVP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 12:04 AM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJGooch View Post
I agree with your overall sentiment but I think people DO care about the Coliseum, they just don't really know it yet, and most are uninformed and/or too short-sighted to see what's really at stake here.

In my opinion, a straightforward "Coliseum to close in 20XX if referendum fails" headline this week would open plenty of eyes and change a lot of people's minds.
This

Its just sad that we might lose our team and Arena because of politics....Nobody wants to get on the same page and will have alot of regrets when Wang decides to leave after 2015....

StrongIslanders90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 12:19 AM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by *********** View Post
Islanders will most likely be in the area til the television contract runs out.

http://www.nytimes.com/1999/06/11/sp...es-misery.html
Yeah but they still can move to Queens

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 03:47 AM
OlTimeHockey

Or Wang can sell. Maybe a NY Billionaire wants to have a legacy and would spend $200M to renovate the barn?

Or are there more billionaires in KC or Hamilton?

The vote isn't the end, in other words. Stay new building, stay fixed building, stay updated building, stay Queens, stay Brooklyn, stay same barn (fight another day - when the economy merits the expense) or leave/fold.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 08:31 AM
DarkHorse
Go Banana!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
Yeah but they still can move to Queens
Into what arena? The Mets are in no position to help build a complex.

Maybe the Barclay's can be retrofitted for hockey. Then both of LI's former teams can be together.

Sad.

DarkHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 12:37 PM
BillD

Those who vote no because they do not want their taxes increased $13.00 PER ANNUM under worst scenario are indeed morons. This is not $13.00 per month like my gas and electric increases (and often much more, like up top $30.00 per month). This is not the $15-$25 PER MONTH increase that my cable company Comcast adds.
$13.00 PER ANNUM. folks. And what do they get of anything for that majestic amount? The possiblity of the increase being anything from less than $13.00 all the way to a reduction in taxes if all goes well.
People buy lottery tickets every week with a millions to 1 chance of winning anything.
For a possible cost of $13.00 PER ANNUM these people are willing to let the Hub of Nassau County lose it's main tenant, the tenant that keeps the building viable with its rent payment. They will let that assets deteriorate and be dark and decay, being empty 41 nights a year and the only wany it will be maintained will be by County expenditure for the use of a very few shows and events that will dwindle.
This is not that hard to understand. The Billionaire does not own the property. He can not and will not renovate it at his own expense. Would you?
Yes, the people who are worried about a $13.00 per annum possible tax increase at the expense of losing their only County entertainment venue are truly imbeciles. The Democrats who are fighting it because of politcal positioning are truly imbeciles. The ABLI are rapacious, self serving imbeciles.
There is risk in every proposition. You do not get anything without taking some risk, no one does. People in Nassau are blind to what the issue is and understanding the pro's and con's.

BillD is online now   Reply With Quote