HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers Re-sign Steve Eminger (1 year, $800k)

Old
07-25-2011, 10:49 PM
RangerFan10

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma Royd View Post
Yeah but the point of your typical number seven is to have a veteran presence, so you don't have to rely on an untested rookie to step into the lineup. We've been spoiled by having guys like Staal, Girardi, McDonagh and Sauer step right into the lineup, but it doesn't usually work that way. I'm much more comfortable with a veteran player as the seventh than a guy that has never played an NHL game.
My point is, if we had 6 guys that were ready from the get go, there would be no need for a 7th defenseman. This is more management not being sure that they can fill the bottom 4 out with what they've got other than Eminger, Staal and Girardi. They at least know Eminger can play a little at the NHL level.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 10:52 PM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
My point is, if we had 6 guys that were ready from the get go, there would be no need for a 7th defenseman. This is more management not being sure that they can fill the bottom 4 out with what they've got other than Eminger, Staal and Girardi. They at least know Eminger can play a little at the NHL level.
injuries happen. you don't just need 7 guys but likely will need an 8th, 9th and maybe 10th at some point during the season. depth is important.

and if kids are in hartford getting playing time you don't want them bouncing back and forth just to skate in warmup and go down. play 1 game and go down etc. if its an extended period than yeah call the kid up but i'd rather have a vet fillin for the one off games

CM PUNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 10:54 PM
JeffMangum
~Dylan~

Quote:
Not really. Plenty of teams stock up on defensive depth and carry an extra defenseman. For example:

Pittsburgh (Ben Lovejoy), Toronto (Komisarek/Gunarsson), Buffalo (Marc-Andre Grangani), Vancouver (Aaron Rome), etc.

Your viewpoint on the Rangers' current situation on defense is correct, IMO, but 7th defenseman are a common commodity around the NHL.

Everything about you is bringing me misery.
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 11:13 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

NHL Depth is SO underrated and misunderstood on the Rangers forum, it really is.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 11:22 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

its better to have your veteran defenseman eminger sit as your 7th than to have a kid sit. the kids are better suited getting big time minutes in Hartford. its also good to have a veteran defenseman that can push the other players to play better or he will take their spot for a game or 2 (And play well in that time)

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 11:24 PM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
NHL Depth is SO underrated and misunderstood on the Rangers forum, it really is.
We only have to go back to few months ago. If Rangers didnt have depth last season they dont make playoffs, simple as that. Dubi and Staal missed handfull of games, Gaborik and Callahan missed 20-odd games, Prospal played in 20-odd, Frolov missed half a season.

darko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 11:29 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
We only have to go back to few months ago. If Rangers didnt have depth last season they dont make playoffs, simple as that. Dubi and Staal missed handfull of games, Gaborik and Callahan missed 20-odd games, Prospal played in 20-odd, Frolov missed half a season.
Not to mention, all the invites to camp, and the general level of competition they brought in last season. Boyle was no where on the radar really. You want guys to rise up in that environment, and it carries into the season.

There was a while when i would bash Sather for inviting guys like Nedved and Eriksson to camp. It used to bother me that they were there, simply because of the past, their reputation or the idea they could beat out a roster player or youngen for a spot. But now i see it a lot differently. The more the better I say. Whether its in camp or on the roster as a vet. As long as you can fit them in and still allow the rookies to slide up and down from the AHL its only a good thing. You gotta earn a job. Creating good problems breeds good results.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 11:33 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Not to mention, all the invites to camp, and the general level of competition they brought in last season. Boyle was no where on the radar really. You want guys to rise up in that environment, and it carries into the season.

There was a while when i would bash Sather for inviting guys like Nedved and Eriksson to camp. It used to bother me that they were there, simply because of the past, their reputation or the idea they could beat out a roster player or youngen for a spot. But now i see it a lot differently. The more the better I say. Whether its in camp or on the roster as a vet. As long as you can fit them in and still allow the rookies to slide up and down from the AHL its only a good thing. You gotta earn a job. Creating good problems breeds good results.
the best part is, we have a coach who will judge it fairly...if a kid beats out a vet, the kid is playing, period.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 11:51 PM
Crease

It's refreshing to have some continuity year-over-year.

Last edited by Crease: 07-25-2011 at 11:57 PM.
Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 02:24 AM
Esa 10

Eminger is perfectly fine as a #7. However, if their earlier interest in Lepisto and Babchuk was true, the Rangers are concerned with generating offense from the blue-line. Hopefully Erixon hits the ground running and MDZ rediscovers his offense without having to do a stint in Hartford. Eminger will be good to have as an injury fill-in, but the D will have better balance if the young guys can keep him out of starting rotation.

Esa 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 03:57 AM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Well if Eminger really is the #7, I hope Torts is actually going to carry 7 this season, otherwise he's taking a rookie's spot. Albeit, that rookie is going to be a lefty playing on the RD side, but I think Valentenko or Erixon will be able to handle that. They do so enough when they play the PP since that is the better side to shoot from. They just need to be smarter when clearing their own zone or have a really competent back hand.

found this insightful tidbit

Quote:
"Roughly three in 10 NHL rearguards are right-handed shots (the split is 65 per cent/35 per cent in favour of port-side shooters), but given that half the available jobs are on the right side of the ice, lots of players are being asked to play on the opposite side from where they learned the game. "

There are advantages: A left-handed shot on the right has his stick-blade in the centre of the ice when facing shooters, and it's easier to intercept passes.

But there are also problems, like trying to hold a puck in the offensive zone with a hard-charging opponent in your face. “That's hard enough to do on the forehand,” Gorges said.

The biggest drawback, he added, is emerging from behind the net or making dump-ins at the opposing blueline. “You're exposing your back to the middle of the ice, guys can crunch you and you might not see them coming.”

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 06:37 AM
Sticky Fingers
NYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
Well if Eminger really is the #7, I hope Torts is actually going to carry 7 this season, otherwise he's taking a rookie's spot. Albeit, that rookie is going to be a lefty playing on the RD side, but I think Valentenko or Erixon will be able to handle that. They do so enough when they play the PP since that is the better side to shoot from. They just need to be smarter when clearing their own zone or have a really competent back hand.

If a projected 7:th d-man, Eminger, "take" the spot from a rookie, maybe it's a indication of that the rookie isn't ready for full time play at NHL level?

Sticky Fingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 08:16 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Everyone claimed we had too many forwards going into last year. A couple months later, Chad Kolarik was skating on the second line.

07-26-2011, 10:18 AM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post

Very nice quote (post #111)! Where were you when I was arguing the same?!!!
Eminger is 1st round pick, 4th overall, if I remember correctly. 27 is just a beginning of the prime. He should be given a chance over any rookie, still. Next year could be different.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 10:35 AM
Levitate

Just depends on who plays the best in camp. Emminger is a former first round pick and has played in the NHL, but it doesn't mean that he's automatically better than anyone else looking for a roster spot.

If he gets outplayed then he could find himself sitting, that's all.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 10:41 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 910
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellohf View Post
If a projected 7:th d-man, Eminger, "take" the spot from a rookie, maybe it's a indication of that the rookie isn't ready for full time play at NHL level?
Exactly. We should be doing our best to win games, which entails icing the best lineup possible. Not just playing rookies for the sake of playing rookies.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 11:28 AM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
It's refreshing to have some continuity year-over-year.
Totally agree...from day 1 start building on last year. Instead of the normal look for players to gel till thanksgiving

CM PUNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 12:41 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
its better to have your veteran defenseman eminger sit as your 7th than to have a kid sit. the kids are better suited getting big time minutes in Hartford. its also good to have a veteran defenseman that can push the other players to play better or he will take their spot for a game or 2 (And play well in that time)
if your 7th dman is a kid you have him in hartford until he needs to be shuttled up.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 01:14 PM
Swept In Seven
Disciple of The Zook

Quote:
if your 7th dman is a kid you have him in hartford until he needs to be shuttled up.
That's how I see it. You want to develop guys and them riding pine instead of playing high end minutes with the Whale is not the way to properly develop a prospect

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote