HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nabokov can be traded and will report to camp

Old
07-25-2011, 11:58 PM
Bauer Warrior*

vCash: 500
I think he'll be traded. But he's not a young man and he's not free of baggage. There are some teams that may take interest in him, but they'll far from offer much. What I don't want to see is people pissing and moaning and kieling over on the floor, rolling around like they got kicked in the gut when he's traded for a 3rd round pick, or so. Especially if he's the principle in the trade. In fact, outside of the guys who no one wants to trade, we really don't have players on this team who are tradeable for other teams' roster players.

Bauer Warrior* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 12:01 AM
jerseyislander22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bauer Warrior View Post
I think he'll be traded. But he's not a young man and he's not free of baggage. There are some teams that may take interest in him, but they'll far from offer much. What I don't want to see is people pissing and moaning and kieling over on the floor, rolling around like they got kicked in the gut when he's traded for a 3rd round pick, or so. Especially if he's the principle in the trade. In fact, outside of the guys who no one wants to trade, we really don't have players on this team who are tradeable for other teams' roster players.
If we got a 3rd round pick for him tommorow i'd figure that was expected.... if we got a 2nd for him cuz he played well through november i'd be happy... if we held onto him he played well and we got a team desperate and got more then a pick that'd be great. The most we milk nabby for is a 2nd round pick most likely, but a 3rd seems about right

jerseyislander22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 06:44 AM
John TavArt Ross

Why trade him if he's going to report to camp and possibly be an upgrade for our team?

John TavArt Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 10:20 AM
JPIsles21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spasm37 View Post
Why trade him if he's going to report to camp and possibly be an upgrade for our team?
Fair enough. But what do the Isles do with Montoya and Dipietro? Do they keep all 3 and have a weird rotation that proved to be a disaster a couple of seasons ago?

Dipietro is immovable. Montoya did enough last year to be given a shot to prove he can be a capable starting goalie in the NHL.

Also, I don't think Nabby is an improvement over Montoya. He is an improvement over Dipietro however. But the latter isn't going anywhere.

JPIsles21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 10:51 AM
Brunomics

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPIsles21 View Post
Fair enough. But what do the Isles do with Montoya and Dipietro? Do they keep all 3 and have a weird rotation that proved to be a disaster a couple of seasons ago?

Dipietro is immovable. Montoya did enough last year to be given a shot to prove he can be a capable starting goalie in the NHL.

Also, I don't think Nabby is an improvement over Montoya. He is an improvement over Dipietro however. But the latter isn't going anywhere.
I became a fan of Montoya from his play last season for the Isles but he still hasn't proven anything to me. I still have concerns that he will come to camp and stink it up(I pray he doesn't but it's still in the back of my mind) and that's why I'd be happy to keep Nabby around. Also you never know what can happen, personally to me his value can only increase because at this point in time I feel he really doesn't have to much value anyways.

Brunomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 11:35 AM
JeffNYI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunomics View Post
I became a fan of Montoya from his play last season for the Isles but he still hasn't proven anything to me. I still have concerns that he will come to camp and stink it up(I pray he doesn't but it's still in the back of my mind) and that's why I'd be happy to keep Nabby around. Also you never know what can happen, personally to me his value can only increase because at this point in time I feel he really doesn't have to much value anyways.
Best post of this thread.

Unless someone comes in with an offer Snow cannot refuse, let's have Nabokov come to our camp and see where he fits in. Then decide what to do.

What's the point of shipping him away for a 3rd round pick or something this summer? I'd rather keep him, take the risk of him stinking and being worth nothing - than having him be good and all we got was a draft choice because we couldn't be patient..

JeffNYI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 12:22 PM
Bauer Warrior*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spasm37 View Post
When considering what we have between the pipes going into the season, which is mass quantity, there are soultions that much be reached in net. The bad news is that we have that anchor tied around our neck named Rick DiPietro. The good news, and I hate to put it that way, is that he's a virtual lock to go down with an injury. Take your when and how to Vegas!

Al Montoya was strong last season. But the question has been raised, can he do it again and improve on it? Kevin Poulin cannot be hurt by seeing time in Bridgeport, nor can our other young goaltenders.

If this team is serious about making the playoffs, and I hope that they are, I think it would be a tremendous mistake to unload Nabakov for the sake of unloading him. Crazy things happen in that crease, especially on our subprar ice. So I think you're right. If he comes here and plays well here, why shouldn't we keep him?

Old
07-26-2011, 12:34 PM
CaptDenisPotvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bauer Warrior View Post
If this team is serious about making the playoffs, and I hope that they are, I think it would be a tremendous mistake to unload Nabakov for the sake of unloading him. Crazy things happen in that crease, especially on our subprar ice. So I think you're right. If he comes here and plays well here, why shouldn't we keep him?
Here is where Snow has to be a salesman....Nabokov wanted to play for a playoff team? Here it is, everyone starts 0-0-0....We think you can make us a playoff team but your gonna earn it, not just throw your equipment out there and win games like you would in Detroit.

CaptDenisPotvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 12:41 PM
Bauer Warrior*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptDenisPotvin View Post
Here is where Snow has to be a salesman....Nabokov wanted to play for a playoff team? Here it is, everyone starts 0-0-0....We think you can make us a playoff team but your gonna earn it, not just throw your equipment out there and win games like you would in Detroit.
Yeah, that's a good point.

All bias aside, I really think this team is better than many "experts" and other people think. Strong goaltending is very important. I agree that Snow should have Nabakov put his money where his mouth is.

Old
07-26-2011, 01:45 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Maybe he's this team's Osgood?

See Pheonix and maybe Detroit still be likely trade partners.

We'll prolly have to wait until the season is underways though. Once the injuries and disappointments start settling in, welp, the market may widen.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 01:50 PM
OlTimeHockey

I don't have too much faith in him coming in as this team's Osgood....more like Detroit's Joseph. That said, strong regular season play makes him tradeable later in the year......and with Poulin having plenty of time to continue becoming a Jedi.

December-March, we'll see a contender looking to trade after an injury. Thus, a smart move to keep him around.

Smarter if Nabby can take DP's kneecap off.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 02:04 PM
LuminousNYI

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
I don't have too much faith in him coming in as this team's Osgood....more like Detroit's Joseph. That said, strong regular season play makes him tradeable later in the year......and with Poulin having plenty of time to continue becoming a Jedi.

December-March, we'll see a contender looking to trade after an injury. Thus, a smart move to keep him around.

Smarter if Nabby can take DP's kneecap off.
DP will probably take his own kneecap off.

I agree with some other posters, let him come to camp and earn a spot on the Isles. If by some near miracle he plays great here, either we keep him or trade high. Depending on the Isles goaltending at the time of course.

LuminousNYI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 02:08 PM
OlTimeHockey

Except for DP, we finally are looking at the best man winning - THE BACKUP SPOT.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2011, 06:52 PM
seafoam
Do The Panic

vCash: 50
Are we really sure we want to get rid of this guy? Remember this save!?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13FnJwlUCcg

And who was it on? Brad Richards...

seafoam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 02:32 PM
Doug Height
Okposwag

Nabakov update:

Quote:
Ready to put last season’s dramatic debacle behind him, goaltender Evgeni Nabokov said he will attend Islanders training camp this September.

“Yes I do plan on attending,” Nabokov told Newsday. “Now I will have full preparation for the season.

The decision is an about-face from last January, when he refused to report after the Islanders claimed him off waivers from Detroit.

Now he wants to clear the air about why he chose not to show.

“I want to set the record straight,” Nabokov said from his home in Northern California. “A lot of people speculated that I didn’t want to go to the organization but that’s totally not true.”

“What made me make that decision is that I hadn’t skated for a month-and-a-half when they claimed me. They were out of the playoffs, but battling to get in and, as a goalie, I know the goalie position is important when fighting for position [in the standings],” Nabokov said. “I didn’t feel that I could help them to get to the playoffs. I needed three to four weeks to get ready and the season would’ve been over.”
http://mobile.newsday.com/inf/infomo...3067015&part=0

Doug Height is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 02:35 PM
Darth Bangkok

Well, he could of played the last few weeks of the season and gotten paid and be ready to sign a new contract with ANY team now. But its better at this point just to take the excuse at his word and let him save face without speculating. Let's hope he comes to camp and works hard: its best for everyone that way.

Darth Bangkok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 03:55 PM
steveat

I am not too worried about age.. Goalise tend to last longer and get better with age...just look at Roloson and Thomas..those guys are older and only get better. The thing is..WE KNOW nabby doesn't want to play for us...but at the same time...he needs to play well for us or he ends up not going to the team he wants. I am SURE Snow has already spoken to him and I am sure something will be worked out should he play well.

steveat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 07:06 PM
John TavArt Ross

According to Strang's tweets, it was all a missunderstanding; last season

John TavArt Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 11:30 AM
DJB

vCash: 6000
Nabokov ready to report to Isles camp

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=373039

NDALE, N.Y. -- Suspended goalie Evgeni Nabokov said he will go to training camp with the New York Islanders, Newsday reported on its website on Monday night.

"Yes, I do plan on attending," Nabokov said Monday. "Now I will have full preparation for the season."

Nabokov did not report to the Islanders in January after he was claimed off waivers from the Detroit Red Wings by New York, which suspended the veteran goalie.

Nabokov said that people speculated that he didn't want to report to the Islanders, who struggled last season in the Eastern Conference. He said he hadn't skated for six weeks when he was claimed and needed three to four weeks to get ready.

"Any time you go to a new group, you want to be welcomed," Nabokov said. "I'm not sure everyone understands the situation. Players can play five, 10 minutes a night, but goalies have to play the whole game. I wasn't ready and the situation wasn't right. I wish we had better communication between the Islanders and me, but it was a tough decision for me that I couldn't help."

Nabokov, who played with the San Jose Sharks for parts of 10 seasons, had spent last season with SKA St. Petersburg of the Russian KHL.

He signed a one-year contract with Detroit, but had to clear waivers.

The NHL's collective bargaining agreement states that anyone who plays in a professional league before signing an NHL contract must clear waivers.

Once he signed his one-year deal with the Red Wings, he became available to the Islanders.

DJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 11:31 AM
DJB

vCash: 6000
Didn't really see this anywhere, mods just delete if there is a prior thread...

DJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 11:58 AM
enigmatic
Capuano is a stooge

good news IMO....dont trade him....let the best goalie take the job....i want playoffs....if nabby and montoya/dp all are playing well after a big chunk of games then go ahead and trade...

start the season with nhl experience so our prospects stay where they belong

enigmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 04:46 PM
macavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmatic View Post
good news IMO....dont trade him....let the best goalie take the job....i want playoffs....if nabby and montoya/dp all are playing well after a big chunk of games then go ahead and trade...

start the season with nhl experience so our prospects stay where they belong
I think you are right, fans need to forget the "he dissed us, trade him for a bag of pucks" mentality. He can be a top 10-20 goalie in this league. For a fanbase that claims to have had one of the better records post December and wanting to make the playoffs, trading a quality goaltender before the season starts and going with an unproven 26 year old who's struggled at the AHL level isn't probably the smartest "hockey" move.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 05:05 PM
blitzkriegs

If Nabokov stays:

* Three goalie system has proven ineffective in the NHL/AHL
* NYI tried with Roloson, Biron, and DP, which as we know did not work
* DP was not too proud of Montoya taking his #1 spot on the team
* Nabokov has never been a 1A or backup before
* Will Montoya lose confidence at NHL since he longer is the defacto #1?
* 3 one-way contracts on the books
* DP has been very quiet this offseason - Isles seem to have buried him in the PR
* Montoya still has to prove himself from beginning of season as #1 or capable 1A
* Poulin stays in AHL and gets starts, plenty of them
* What's the DP schedule? - he is NYI's second highest paid player afterall
* Insurance for the inevitable DP injury or possible Montoya stinker
* Cappy was just handed another DP-circus
* How does Cappy manage 3 goalies and keep the peace?

blitzkriegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 05:15 PM
Isles Junkie
Brian Strait Sucks

Bless you guys for actually being able to discuss hockey during these tumultuous times.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 06:12 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzkriegs View Post
* NYI tried with Roloson, Biron, and DP, which as we know did not work
DP was injured for the entire season save 8 games, so I hardly consider that a "3 goalie system"

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote