HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Nabokov can be traded and will report to camp

Old
08-07-2011, 05:58 PM
OlTimeHockey

vCash: 500
I haven't heard anything questioning it (link). I know there's concern for Poulin but his surgery was successful (and long overdue I recall) as well.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...training-camp/

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/players...4/kevin-poulin

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 07:06 PM
Ziggy16

poulin was walking around the sth area for the prospects game last month without any noticable limp... he said he was fine

Ziggy16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 07:43 PM
Hershey Hockey
#AskNeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
Quite nice people have evolved to see it these past few years, though. A polarizing figure, fans now are rooting for the BEST of five young goalies to take the position which could not happen five years ago (he was irreplaceable even if Tretiak was brought in in his prime) without pages of backlash.
And that's exactly the way it should be. DP's horrendous on-ice performance as well as his poor judgement displayed in his fight with Brent Johnson and stupid "what competition?" remarks have shown he is nothing but a cancer to this team.

The sooner he is gone, the better. Hopefully Nabakov being in the mix will accelerate that process.

Hershey Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 02:53 PM
TheGOAT
Rookie User

Lets make something clear. For starters you dont want to trade Nabakov because you dont know the condition of the other goalies. Secondly his values is extremely low currently. With this teams luck, they would trade him and he'd win the Vezna. Lets leave him be, make him earn his spot, and see where things stand by mid season. I gaurentee you, people go out after the first 15 games and buy nabakov jerseys. Yes, he stiffed us last season, but there could have very well been a breakdown in communication last season and he most deffinitely was not going to be the savior. This could be a blessing in disguise. Evgeni Nabakov cannot and will not hurt this club. If anything he will create more competition for the #1 goaltending spot, which should never be feared...

TheGOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 03:33 PM
Veteran journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGOAT View Post
Lets make something clear. For starters you dont want to trade Nabakov because you dont know the condition of the other goalies. Secondly his values is extremely low currently. With this teams luck, they would trade him and he'd win the Vezna. Lets leave him be, make him earn his spot, and see where things stand by mid season. I gaurentee you, people go out after the first 15 games and buy nabakov jerseys. Yes, he stiffed us last season, but there could have very well been a breakdown in communication last season and he most deffinitely was not going to be the savior. This could be a blessing in disguise. Evgeni Nabakov cannot and will not hurt this club. If anything he will create more competition for the #1 goaltending spot, which should never be feared...

True, but three goalies is one goalie too many. The three-goalie carousel never works out well...it screws up everyone's rhythm. Hopefully they'll be honest about it in camp...Have DP and Montoya manning one net, and Nabokov and Poulin in the other. At the end of camp, pick the best two and start the season with them.

Veteran journeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 03:35 PM
Pnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGOAT View Post
I doubt he'd win the Venza, he only recently had 22 games in the KHL. That would be a miracle.

People don't forget around here, anybody that would buy a Nabby jersey after a few games, needs to get their head checked. It wasn't a breakdown in communication, he said that he would report to ANY team that picked him up on waivers and then he said NO THANKS. That was very clear.

He is good to have around but I doubt he stays, we have DP, then when he goes down we have Montoya, and Poulin to back him up. There doesn't seem to be any room for him. Yes we could need him later on, but who wants to assume we will get ****ed by injuries again? Then (with no injuries) he is sitting there. The best Nabokov can hope is DP goes down quickly and they decide to keep him with Montoya as a tandem. But that us two "ifs". Maybe the Islanders dont want to keep a malcontent. Maybe by the 2nd week of the season someone needs a goalie? Maybe.

Pnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 03:34 AM
199520002003*

I hope he stops being a jerk off and just plays for the team. You guys can make the playoffs this year. I'm actually rooting for it!

199520002003* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 06:28 AM
Sammy2010*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pnut View Post
I doubt he'd win the Venza, he only recently had 22 games in the KHL. That would be a miracle.

People don't forget around here, anybody that would buy a Nabby jersey after a few games, needs to get their head checked. It wasn't a breakdown in communication, he said that he would report to ANY team that picked him up on waivers and then he said NO THANKS. That was very clear.

He is good to have around but I doubt he stays, we have DP, then when he goes down we have Montoya, and Poulin to back him up. There doesn't seem to be any room for him. Yes we could need him later on, but who wants to assume we will get ****ed by injuries again? Then (with no injuries) he is sitting there. The best Nabokov can hope is DP goes down quickly and they decide to keep him with Montoya as a tandem. But that us two "ifs". Maybe the Islanders dont want to keep a malcontent. Maybe by the 2nd week of the season someone needs a goalie? Maybe.

If he ends up being the team's best goalie people will forget quickly.

Sammy2010* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 07:20 AM
Isles72

I havent heard anything concrete with regards to montoya / poulin and their rehab so maybe the crease isnt as crowded as we think .

my only beef with a crowded crease is how it affects the teams psyche.

I'd love to stuff Dipietro in the minors until he can prove to be healthy for a long stretch and have a nabokov/montoya tandem but I doubt Wang goes for it .

Isles72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 07:31 AM
Sammy2010*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HersheyHockey View Post
And that's exactly the way it should be. DP's horrendous on-ice performance as well as his poor judgement displayed in his fight with Brent Johnson and stupid "what competition?" remarks have shown he is nothing but a cancer to this team.

The sooner he is gone, the better. Hopefully Nabakov being in the mix will accelerate that process.
He is not a team player. Everything is me, me, me.

Sammy2010* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 04:12 PM
TheGOAT
Rookie User

You are relying on a goalie in Poulin who hasnt been tested and has about as much experience in an NHL setting as a 17 yrs old does behind the wheel of a car on the LIE in rush hour traffic. I wasnt insinuating Nabakov would win the Vezan but threw out a line that would serve as a baseline for how the Islanders luck has been. As far as people buying his jersey if/when he plays, I think you would see it opening night. Stranger things have happend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pnut View Post

Old
08-22-2011, 04:14 PM
TheGOAT
Rookie User

Agreed!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2010 View Post
If he ends up being the team's best goalie people will forget quickly.