HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Mike Richards: Partying Prompted Parting?

Closed Thread

Old
07-25-2011, 09:26 AM
MrHockey1982

vCash: 500
Mike Richards: Partying Prompted Parting?

http://www.philly.com/philly/enterta...an_Gross_.html

Thought you guys might want to know this. I loved having him on the team regardless of what happened and wish you luck with him.

Old
07-25-2011, 09:47 AM
Ollie Weeks

This is news to all of us.

Old
07-25-2011, 09:58 AM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Good ol Philadelphia reporting...

Old
07-25-2011, 10:01 AM
jurban05
Rookie User

I heard they would go out drinking the nights before games but mainly it's because Pronger is so old school and frankly a ***** he caused tons of locker room tension with them the entire season. This effecting the entire team. From everything I read none of the other players really wanted to see them go. Of course cap space was a big decision maker as well.

Old
07-25-2011, 10:08 AM
MrHockey1982

Quote:
Originally Posted by jurban05 View Post
I heard they would go out drinking the nights before games but mainly it's because Pronger is so old school and frankly a ***** he caused tons of locker room tension with them the entire season. This effecting the entire team. From everything I read none of the other players really wanted to see them go. Of course cap space was a big decision maker as well.

Everyone knows that hockey players drink and that's fine. But clearly there was a power struggle in the room and even though I will miss Richards, Pronger was the real leader of the team. I'm sure you Kings fans hate Pronger but he's awesome to have on your team. Anyways, I just thought I'd pass the story along.

Old
07-25-2011, 10:09 AM
BigBrown
They did it again!

I think it would be hard to argue that off ice behavior didn't factor in when they were traded, especially when two teammates (anonymously) confirmed it in the article. Hopefully this is a wakeup call for these guys to better themselves.

Old
07-25-2011, 10:16 AM
Capn Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBrown View Post
I think it would be hard to argue that off ice behavior didn't factor in when they were traded, especially when two teammates (anonymously) confirmed it in the article. Hopefully this is a wakeup call for these guys to better themselves.

And, coincidentally, neither guy chose to comment on whether or not Pronger signed this alleged "Dry Island" pledge? C'mon, this is just propaganda aimed at guys who are no longer with Philly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
Do Flyer fans know about the rumor of Simmonds also being a big drinker?

Does it even matter? Eklund seems to believe Simmonds is the second coming of Rick Tocchet!

Old
07-25-2011, 10:20 AM
jurban05
Rookie User

Absolutely. I feel that because Pronger pretty much ran the team and his attitude this became an issue when it shouldn't have. Obviously it did not effect Carter and Richards on ice performance. Why did this just now become an issue when Richards has been on the flyers for 6 years?

Old
07-25-2011, 10:26 AM
BigBrown
They did it again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Brown View Post
And, coincidentally, neither guy chose to comment on whether or not Pronger signed this alleged "Dry Island" pledge? C'mon, this is just propaganda aimed at guys who are no longer with Philly.
Why would Pronger's name be mentioned at all? The story is about the two players who got traded.

If you want to believe it's just propaganda, that's fine. It seems to be a gossip column and you can argue the validity of any information published by gossips, but it specifically mentions its source as two players who played with them the past season. I might be naive but I personally doubt that they'd make that up.

Old
07-25-2011, 10:29 AM
MrHockey1982

Quote:
Originally Posted by jurban05 View Post
Absolutely. I feel that because Pronger pretty much ran the team and his attitude this became an issue when it shouldn't have. Obviously it did not effect Carter and Richards on ice performance. Why did this just now become an issue when Richards has been on the flyers for 6 years?

It hasn't just been an issue now. The media has talked about it for years. Whether it has merit or not is the question. However, the article says, "players who played with the pair last season." This leads me to believe that they were also traded because it's doubtful someone currently on the team would drop this info about the locker room. Holmgren also confirmed that the Dry Island Policy existed and said players other than Richards and Carter did not participate.

Old
07-25-2011, 10:32 AM
Capn Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBrown View Post
Why would Pronger's name be mentioned at all? The story is about the two players who got traded.

Because there's an equally valid rumor suggesting that those two guys were traded because they didn't get along with Chris Pronger.

Old
07-25-2011, 10:36 AM
MrHockey1982

Quote:
Because there's an equally valid rumor suggesting that those two guys were traded because they didn't get along with Chris Pronger.

That is a rumor. This article was validated by the GM. Richards and Carter, along with a few other players, did not participate in the Dry Island Policy. If you read between the lines, this means that some younger guys did not get along with some older vets.

Old
07-25-2011, 10:38 AM
TonySCV
One More Time

I've removed posts implying that specific other players have drinking/personal problems.

From the site rules:

13) Libel: Any posts libeling players, prospects, or hockey personnel. It's not acceptable to post that you heard Player X has a drinking/drug/sex/personal problem from a "good" source. Do not post information that can be considered defamatory without a link to a credible media source. Other forums, personal websites, hearsay, and personal testimonials are not considered credible.

Discussing the issues outlined in the original poster's article is OK. What is not OK is mentioning that other players have any sort of drinking/drug/personal problem without providing a link to a credible media source.

That's libel and is not allowed. It becomes a legal concern for folks who run this site. We're not going to be continually cleaning up this thread - police yourselves or the thread will be closed.

Thanks...

Old
07-25-2011, 10:49 AM
Capn Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHockey1982 View Post
That is a rumor. This article was validated by the GM. Richards and Carter, along with a few other players, did not participate in the Dry Island Policy. If you read between the lines, this means that some younger guys did not get along with some older vets.

Even so, at the end of the day, you want to build your franchise around 26-year-olds, not a 36-year-old.

Old
07-25-2011, 10:54 AM
MrHockey1982

Quote:
Even so, at the end of the day, you want to build your franchise around 26-year-olds, not a 36-year-old.

Your opinion and you're welcome to think that. Not everyone captain in the league is 26.

Old
07-25-2011, 11:13 AM
DryIslandBartender
KCCO

Quote:
coach Peter Laviolette instituted what players came to call the "Dry Island." Laviolette asked team members to commit to not drinking for a month, and each player was asked to write his number on a locker room board as a pledge. No. 17 (Carter) and No. 18 (Richards) were absent from the board on the first Dry Island
@ Dry Island policy...what is this a grade school program? Jesus Christ.

Richards is the same age as myself, and that's what young guys generally do. Go out and have drinks and chase tail. I fail to see the big deal. *shrug*

Old
07-25-2011, 11:18 AM
JBernierFan
Drink up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHockey1982 View Post
Your opinion and you're welcome to think that. Not everyone captain in the league is 26.
Well, this doesn't need to turn into a pissing match, but I think he meant building the team around, not who's captain. Pronger has been hurt quite a bit recently and is getting up there in age. At some point, his body won't heal as fast (isn't it even said he won't be ready for camp?) Yes, the Flyers got younger with the trades, but for more unproven players. Richards and Carter have proven they are the real deal at their current respective ages. Vorechek <sp? I totally butchered that I know) and Schenn are not prove, nor is Simmonds. You have to admit it's not the smartest move to trade your young signed to great contract stars in favor for a star dman on his last legs.

Old
07-25-2011, 11:20 AM
JDM
HFB Partner

Sounds to me like AA was in Laviolette's past. People tend to only ask others to go sober when they've had their own problems in the past.

Of course that is just an extrapolation based on personal experience. I'm not saying it is true of Laviolette, but it wouldn't shocked me. Sounds like something an ex alcoholic would do.

Last edited by JDM: 07-25-2011 at 11:46 AM.
Old
07-25-2011, 11:22 AM
TonySCV
One More Time

I'm sure there's some truth to the story just as I'm sure that Ed Snider told Holmgren to fix goaltending and that required Holmgren to trade a lot of salary to do it.

The drinking provides a convenient reason/excuse for Holmgren to make the changes, but I don't believe it was a serious problem. If it were, Carter and Richards would not have been team captains.

Old
07-25-2011, 11:23 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by BerniernextRoy View Post

Richards is the same age as myself, and that's what young guys generally do. Go out and have drinks and chase tail. I fail to see the big deal. *shrug*
I agree. I try to put myself in their shoes. If I was a rich, young guy in the NHL I would have used that to sew a lot of wild oats. Those wild oats usually hang out at bars.

Old
07-25-2011, 11:25 AM
Dave33
Still smiling

Love the response by Carter's agent. Dude is hardcore.

With the premium DL places on character, and his ties to Philly, I'm not too worried about MR's partying.

Old
07-25-2011, 11:26 AM
KingsCourt

Hmmm...guys in their mid 20's like to go out and drink once and a while...color me socked!

Old
07-25-2011, 11:37 AM
DryIslandBartender
KCCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
Sounds to me like AA was in Laviolette's past. People tend to only ask others to go sober when they've had their own problems in the past.

Of course that is just an extrapolation based on personal experience. I'm not saying it is true of Laviolette, but it wouldn't shocked me. Sounds like someone an ex alcoholic would do.
Interesting point and a plausible explanation you have.

I've been trying understand, why for the love of god would someone would start that policy.

Old
07-25-2011, 11:52 AM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerniernextRoy View Post
Personally they should have had a party island policy(ie they won't drink unless they win a game and then go out after and get smashed)

Old
07-25-2011, 12:05 PM
Shellz

Sounds like an ex gf that can't let go. I can't believe how much of this topic has been blown up.

Closed Thread